4.0 out of 5 stars Sony PRS-T2- Great e-reader!
I've been comparing the Sony PRS-T2 to the Kindle Touch. Here's what I've found:

Pros:
-Lighter
-Better organized display, clearer and more intuitive.
-No ads.
Published on September 2, 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars The Failure: Sony's new PRS-T2
Published 23 months ago by AD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony PRS-T2- Great e-reader!, September 2, 2012
This review is from: Sony PRS-T2 6" Touchscreen Digital eBook Reader w/E-Ink Technology, Built-in Wi-Fi & microSD Card Slot (Black) (Electronics)

Pros:
-Lighter
-Better organized display, clearer and more intuitive.
-No ads.
-Shows the book cover art (optionally) both in the menus and as a screen saver- I love this feature because staring at a books' cover is one of the pleasures of a good book. The Kindle NEVER shows the cover art- instead it shows ads as a screen saver unless you pay $40 more which would make it $10 more than the Sony.
-You can download library books directly to the device.
-Supports epubs.
-Has useful and convenient buttons.
-Has page numbers.
-Display seems a bit brighter and crisper.
-Indicates how many days you have left on library books.

Cons:
-No sound. I like the Kindle's Text to Speech option.
-Have to swipe instead of just touch to turn pages (though the buttons make up for this).
-Can't skip from chapter to chapter with a swipe like you can with the Kindle but it has many other ways to navigate a book that the Kindle doesn't have).
-Screen seems to flash more (though I believe it flashes to black only every 6th page turn just like the Kindle).
-Can't download books directly from Amazon or Google books, (have to use your computer and connect to USB for Google and Amazon books are not supported at all) though you can download directly from the Sony Reader Store and Gutenberg and probably others.
-Slightly cheaper look to the Sony, really just from the plastic buttons, the rest is simple and sleek and feels good in your hands.

Overall, once you're immersed in a book both readers provide pretty much the same experience- they're both a pleasure to use.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Failure: Sony's new PRS-T2, September 24, 2012
Disappointment. That is the first word I would use to describe how I feel about the new Sony PRS-T2 eReader. Someone at Sony must have forgotten to mention that when companies release an "upgraded device," they are actually supposed to do more than just change the material of the outer casing. If you buy a PRS-T2, you will be spending $130 for a "new" device that could have been released two years ago. Their technology is that dated. It is a total ripoff.

The PRS-T2, Sony's latest offering (if you could call it that), does almost NOTHING to improve on the PRS-T1. They have actually removed a majors features, like the ability to listen to audiobooks and music, and have given us nothing appealing in its place.

This is important: they are still using the same old 600 x 800 E Ink screen they have been putting in their readers for the past three years, while other brands are pushing ahead with beautiful high-definition and glow displays. In an ironic twist, the text actually looks darker and more bold on the PRS-T1! On the PRS-T2 there is no 1024 x 768 HD E Ink screen (as will be featured on the new Kindle and Kobo Glo), and they didn't even try to sharpen the text by releasing a better text rendering firmware update.

Their main ad for the PRS-T2 touts the addition of a Facebook sharing app and Evernote tie-in. They have increased the social reading aspects of the device by tying it in to Facebook, and you can now save blog posts and web articles to an Evernote account and read them on your offline later. But other than that, we are losing more than we are gaining (the Facebook feature didn't even work during the first month of its release!). I don't really see Facebook/Evernote as a positive improvement. There are dozens of ways to save web articles to read on eReaders later, and the Facebook feature is immensely overrated.

On top of all this, they even reduced the number of preloaded dictionaries from twelve to six!

So just to review, we are:

1. losing audio capabilities, no headphone jack
2. getting no advances in fonts, formatting, or text rendering
3. removing half of the dictionaries
4. getting no E Ink HD improvement
5. being charged $129, the same cost as the old PRS-T1 for LESS FEATURES than the PRS-T1 had

When a no-frills upgrade like this comes out, I usually blame the lack of improved features on the price war between all of the big eReader companies. It is hard to offer amazing specs at $80-$100 a reader. But Sony is willing to charge us more. They put a $129 (more like $150 after taxes and shipping) price tag on a "new" eReader that blatantly does nothing extra for the cost. Sony offers us absolutely nothing in the way of technological innovation in exchange.

I have owned four Sony Readers in the past, but I won't be buying this one. Sony used to make incredibly impressive devices with top-of-the-line features, but now it seems they have lost their way. This eReader was obsolete as soon as it hit the shelves. If you want to pay $130 for 2010 technology, go ahead. But there are better reading experiences, and much better deals out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, December 16, 2012
The PRS-T2 has a reasonable set of features, but it has nothing to recommend it over similar devices; and, in terms of technology, it lags behind the newest offers from Amazon or Kobo. The Facebook, Evernote, and browser features may seem attractive, but, in practice, they are largely useless. (If you need to take notes while reading, then, in my opinion, you need a tablet, not a reader.)

Moreover, (although not mentioned in the user guide) it charges only from a computer or from Sony's PRSAAC10 adapter (overpriced at approx $25). Sony tech support recommends against using other adapters, because they might "damage the battery"; at any rate, I tried several different kinds, and none worked.

Available protective cases (approx $50 with light, PRSACL22; and approx $40 without a light, PRSASC22) are also, in my opinion, overpriced. (They are also poorly designed; they are difficult to clean, and they have no place to hold the stylus, which means that, sooner or later, it will be lost.)

Consequently, overall I recommend against buying this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Hardware, Awful Software, November 18, 2013
I purchased this device several months ago for academic reading and note-taking. It seemed great according to the specs and special abilities, like being able to take handwritten notes, but when I received it, I had nothing but problems with the software. I have learned to deal with many of the quirks of the unit since switching to Calibre library management software, but I don't think I will be buying any Sony readers in the future. Let's start with the cons, mostly of the software, since there are quite a few of them.

Cons:
- Sony's Reader software, both on the computer and on the e-reader itself, is unrefined, unintuitive, clunky, lacking basic features, and confusing.
- Many of the basic options that one might need, including such simple and essential tasks like deleting a book, are buried in menus and often need unintuitive gestures or double-taps to access.
- If you are attempting to load the unit with more books than it has room for, it fails the transfer with no explanation. I am baffled as to why there is not a "more space required" dialogue in these situations. There is no indicator bar to show how full the unit is.
- When reading a document while zoomed in, the zoom will default if you change the orientation of the unit. It will also zoom out if you try to use the annotation. Zooming back in disables the annotation- Not sure how I am supposed to annotate or take notes on text that is too small to read.
- The unit has issues loading PDF files with certain date formatting. I use the unit primarily for scientific reading, and nearly all of the PDF articles that I download from certain sites end up being incompatible for this reason.
- Unit responds very slowly. Sometimes you press a button and nothing happens, so you press it again thinking that you didn't press it hard enough, but the second press activates a feature on the next page that hasn't even loaded yet.
- There is no way to edit book title information on the reader itself.
- The above issues are only a sampling of this convoluted mess of a user interface.
- The touchscreen itself is not responsive at the very edges, so if you are trying to circle a block of text, you will often get strange results near the edges of the screen.

Pros:
- Touchscreen, handwritten annotation capabilities, nice suede-like grippy rubber texture. The borders around the screen are narrow and it does not look like a Fischer-Price toy like some readers.
- Calibre e-book library software can interface with the unit and alleviates many of the problems that come with Sony's computer-side e-reader software, but you still have to deal with the clunky Sony software on the reader itself.

Verdict:
- Would have potential to be an excellent note-taking e-reader if it wasn't crippled by Sony's poorly-streamlined software.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, January 11, 2013
This is my first ebook reader so can't really say anything to compare this ereader with other products in the market - but from what I have experienced, I like it, particularly the fact that it can read both epub and pdf. This is important for those who already have lots of ebooks in these formats. The design is good, great to hold in hand, very light, front button is very convenient, screen looks great (people do comment a lot about the lack of a backlit screen but how often do you find yourself reading in darkness? so for me, not a big deal) and the navigation is easy and smooth (epub is better than pdf, as the file size is smaller I guess, so turning page is faster with more or less no screen flashing).

I also find Evernote is useful - particularly when reading non-fiction and want to keep some details/quote for references. This is a real added feature to those also using iPad or tablet to read and share notes.

Really recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the new ereader, March 17, 2013
It has wifi which is awesome and I don't haven't to rebuy the books I have already bought....just redownload which was one of my biggest concerns...for just reading this is perfect. My only real complaint is it comes with a stylis but no place to store it's.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent product, March 11, 2013
If you look at the chart on wiki of all the different file types that different ereaders can use, this one takes the cake. It can read a wide variety of text file types.

The stylus works well.(small lag, so taking notes would not come easy)

The battery has a terrific lifespan. (I charge about once a month and read for about an hour a day. It's in sleepmode when not being used)

I am very happy with this product and highly recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, September 26, 2012
Love this new eReader - screen very easy to read and the device is VERY LIGHT! Also a bonus to connect to my library. Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, slim, WiFi, Android 2.2 - good choice!, February 5, 2014
E-ink is the best for my sore eyes, but I like to use Android OS as well. So, this gadget meets my needs just like smartphone, offering the customization capability. After unlocking and rooting it becomes like the android tablet, but with E-ink touchscreen! Android version 2.2.
Very good device indeed. I'll use it for book reading, i-net browsing, logical games.
It has no sound output, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Comes Through Again, May 20, 2013
I have only had Sony ereaders and while I'm sure kindle is fantastic..I just love my Sony for it's versatility - I am just an ereader only person, don't need the gadgets...but want to read all electronic publications with ease and can do that with Sony. epub, pdf....etc. It takes many formats and is a pleasure to use. I can read old .pdf's etc that someone gives me and usually, it works fairly well. I buy my share of books from SONY regardless... and I note how many more books I read since I have had an ereader. I hope these never go away!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›