5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Wonderful!
First: The hardware

Published 23 months ago by Long Time Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware. Terrible software.
Published 13 months ago by Adrian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Wonderful!, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Sony VAIO Tap All-in-One Touchscreen SVJ20215CXW 20-Inch Desktop (White) (Personal Computers)
First: The hardware

I have been in computing for my entire career (35+ years) outside a stint in the military. I have watched as computers continually shrunk while their power has continually increased. I still clung to the notion of a minitower as the basic unit of computing - until this arrived - i was able to clear a mid size tower out of my bedroom and take up less space with this unit than my previous monitor.

It is every bit as functional - indeed it is speedier than the older tower was. Very solid build - not something you would normally disconnect and trek with you through your house - but with a built in battery (that supposedly lasts 2-3 hours) this unit can be picked up and transported to show visitors or other people things you want them to see - without their need to trek into my bedroom. Very solid build, and very snappy performance - although serious gamers might not be satisfied - needing that millisecond advantage on their opponents.

Sony provided usb ports, etc. that are eminently useable and this unit can be expanded with peripherals (not quite to the extent of a minitower with expansion slots) - but certainly more expandable than most people would want or need. Five stars for build quality and performance. Five stars to amazon - fast delivery and decent price.

2. Windows 8

Regarding Windows 8, I honestly didn't think I'd like it much - but I really, really like the new interface - it's so easy to jump from desktop to metro to desktop app to metro app - i am going to sell my ipad2 - it really is a clunker compared to Windows 8 - of course one has to have a basic windows experience behind them to appreciate the integration of metro/ipad style apps with a windows desktop - but I guess I qualify there. Corner hovers with mouse or side/top swipes allow the easiest navigation that I could imagine. For experienced windows users - there are a few irritating moments when you know exactly what you want to do - but haven't a clue how to do it - usually corner hovers with a mouse or taps bring up menus that contain the items you're searching for - such as task manager. Use google liberally at first to find how to do what you want - within 30 - 60 minutes you will have mastered the vast majority of those things you tended to do on windows in the past and the metro apps are such a bonus, cheap ( I haven't spent a cent yet ) and in the case of the included mail app - so much nicer than a traditional windows experience. well done Microsoft!

3. Response to Other reviews:

Regarding slow response (unit vs Windows 8) in prior review - I have not experienced this myself - the unit is crisp and responds quickly to swipes or mouse clicks and app processing is normal - one possibility might be using wireless in a weak spot - but I quit using wireless after configuring my machine and moving it to the bedroom where it has a gigabit wired connection.

Regarding hang-ups - losing apps / data as stated by another reviewer. I have not experienced this at all - it is solid and runs perfectly - haven't needed to reboot since I finished configuration about two weeks ago. Perhaps a defective unit that needs replacement? Amazon will accomodate this quickly also - if done right after a purchase (I think within 30 days).

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent form factor, great home computer, December 16, 2012
This computer contains more than enough horsepower for most home computing tasks (save PC gaming, but come on, get a console and game on that). This is essentially a low voltage Core i5 laptop bolted onto a 20" glass monitor.

Full disclosure - I replaced the spinning hard drive (5400 RPM is terrible performance) with an Intel SSD (the 330 series 160GB). My family keeps our media on a separate network-attached server, so we don't have need of much storage on the home PC, so this solution works best for us. After switching out, we are getting almost 5 hours of battery life, which is very good for the size of the display.

The battery adds some heft to the machine. Even after swapping the hard drive for SSD, the machine weighs in at just under 10 pounds, so this is a tablet that gets set on the couch, dining room table or bedroom floor, rather than the lap.

The build quality of the machine is fantastic. It looks good, and the hinge is very well built on the stand. The one thing that is a bit disconcerting is that the glass surface of the display is not as smooth as it should be, and this makes playing some games (like air hockey, for instance) a bit more difficult than they should be. Hopefully, this is the result of some process at the factory, and after cleaning the display a few times, fingers will glide smoothly.

For a unique home computer with functionality and wow factor, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars my semi-portable love affair, February 7, 2013
Over the years, I've come to rely on amazon reviews for everything from my pasta strainer to my newest telephoto lens... Give how much I've gained from amazon reviews, I wanted to take some time and "give back" to the community.

For a while I wanted a computer in the kitchen so that I could use epicurious and listen to music while cooking. When Christmas came around and my wife got me this Sony VAIO Tap All-in-One 20 inch Touchscreen, I have to say I was very disappointed. I had been eyeing the vizio all-in-ones. For example:

VIZIO CA27-A4 27-Inch All-in-One Desktop

So, grudgingly I turned on what I thought was going to be a real let down. Set up was easy and within 15 minutes I had installed the windows 8 epicurious app (which looks AMAZING by the way) and was playing a song from the amazon mp3 cloud player on google chrome.

So far so good. I put the computer in the kitchen and took out my laptop and started doing some work--that's when something funny happened. I kept thinking of excuses to use my brand new sony--oh, I want to download some pictures--or oh, I want to get a few windows 8 games... that type of thing. Eventually, I picked it up (it has a battery, so no need to turn it off) and sat it down on the carpet in my living room. Usually I work lying down with a pillow on the ground while my wife works sitting on our couch--and so I started working on the sony.

The huge screen is so much better than my lap top--beautiful! I even downloaded the windows 8 kindle app and now I read books using this computer. And when I do want to cook, bringing it over to the kitchen is a snap (again, because of the battery, but also because the stand snaps in and out--unlike the vizio stand).

So, to summarize:

-This is not something that I would consider portable (lol, I wouldn't bring it to a coffee shop), but it's portable in terms of easily moving it from one room to another.

-The screen is beautiful--touch gestures work perfectly.

-Unless you're into serious gaming or video editing, the processor is plenty powerful.

-Smart design (battery, kickstand, nice keyboard and mouse, aesthetically pleasing)

-Not necessarily for everyone, but definitely worth thinking about...

~Brand New Sony Fan

P.S. Wrote this review on the computer I'm reviewing :)
P.P.S. Only downside is that the sound is not great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Family PC, January 31, 2013
A great concept from Sony! We bought it to replace our aging and breathless Kitchen/Family 15.6” laptop, and we absolutely love it. Think of a “giant iPad” --transportable, not mobile- with a fun and modern interface: that’s what this VAIO Tap 20 is!

Yes there are these negative comments about Windows 8… But I am now absolutely convinced that it is coming from two things: a less-than-ideal non-touch screen experience, and the expectation that it is going to be just like Windows 7. If you take Windows 8 as a fresh new environment for devices like this VAIO Tap 20, it is a surprisingly good system, very intuitive and simple to use: my kids figured it out in minutes… and yes you still have this Desktop “oddity” (that’s how I see it now) where you can run your old applications (and, annoyingly, some Windows stuff that has not been ported to the new environment).

The VAIO Tap 20 is really a large touch-screen with laptop-type underpinnings (i3-3217U, i5-3317U and i7-3517U are all dual-core, low-power, laptop CPU’s). Unless you are planning for some CPU-intensive work, performance is excellent --from a HW standpoint, Windows 8 has the same or less requirements than Windows 7. Wake-up from sleep is a matter of seconds… I suspect it uses a small SSD cache, since Intel RST is installed, but I could not find any indication of it anywhere. A little detail: there is a “Sleep” button on the keyboard, and it would be great if that same button could also wake it up. It may not be possible with a wireless keyboard though… and that’s probably why you have to press the power button… but finding it on the top right rear is not intuitive.

The 1600 x 900 resolution is low for a 20” size screen, but it’s actually a smart choice: Windows 8 accommodates better standard, limited resolution displays: the user interface elements are bigger, easier to tap or select. Colors, viewing angles are excellent, and if like me, you’re getting older, you’ll appreciate that the eyes-friendly display more than the so-called retina ones with their perfect, but microscopic, texts…

Overall but I am glad we bought that PC, and I strongly recommend it, even if it is somewhat expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars It would take pages to tell you how much I love this computer!, October 24, 2013
I waited until I had used this computer for at least a month before I wrote a review. I wanted to list every feature I love about it but no one wants to read a book here in reviews so I will do my best to keep this short. I was intimidated by all the hate for Windows 8 but I really like it! If you have ever used a smart phone or a tablet you will have no problems with Windows 8, don't let people scare you. I hardly ever use the start screen but it's super easy to do so. I can click the window key on my keyboard, I can tap the window button at the bottom of the monitor screen or I can use the super easy sliding charm bar to the side. Once on the start screen I simply tap the desktop icon and I am in my familiar world I am used to.

If I want to see all my stuff I used to get to from the start menu, I just drag upwards and a taskbar pops up with Apps button. On that screen I can see all the folders/icons I am used to, like control panel and my computer etc. The whole start screen was fun to set up. Before I bought the computer I watched 2 tutorials on youtube using my old computer. I highly recommend JAGtutorials. He made it SO easy to learn so I knew just how to rearrange the tiles and pin stuff to my desktop taskbar the way I like.

I made myself customized themes with background pics from my flash drive. Super easy to set up preferences which is important to me so I feel at home. I opened up Google and found Chrome. As soon as I downloaded, it automatically brought over every single bookmark and theme and preference I have setup already. I have been using computers since Windows 3.0 and this was by far the easiest transition EVER.

As for the hardware. I thought I would dislike the mouse since it's shaped a little funny, sort of a bullet instead of the Logitech shape I'm used to, and the wheel works a little stiffly. I got used to it quickly and I don't even notice the difference now. If the wheel is a little choppy for scrolling I use my fingers on the touch screen. Then if the place I need to touch is too tiny for a fingertip I click with the mouse. Perfect marriage of either/or for every situation. I will share a hint. On some websites it's like the mouse click wasn't working but if I tapped with a finger, it worked. Seems like some sites still have some things that must have a tap and some things need a mouse click. So just try both before you get upset. I can understand why people using Windows 8 without a touch screen might encounter problems.

I LOVE the keyboard! I like the sleep button (shaped like a little moon)for when I walk away from the computer (this way I can have screen savers turned off, which I prefer). To wake it up I just touch the button on the back of the right top corner of the monitor and it comes up super fast. The keys are just right. Not too stiff, not too sensitive and just the right size for me. There are even volume control buttons so I don't have to use the cursor to bring up the speaker icon which takes longer, as you know if you ever needed to change volume fast. I like the size and I like the wireless so I can lean back and put the keyboard in my lap if I want. LOVE.

I used my external hard-drive through the USB port. No problems. I hooked up an external optical drive to rip a CD into Amazon MP3 Player. Worked fine with no setup required. I love the sleek white case. I love how easy it is to move it around from room to room if I need to. I love the 20 inch screen. It's so crisp and after working on a small netbook the pictures seem very clear and large on this monitor.

The only Con in this whole process was not with the product itself. It was with Kaspersky security which comes with the Sony. I mention this just to help everyone else out. If you decide to keep the protection and you pay for it, ALL YOU NEED is the activation code. Don't try to download and install a new copy like I did. Just click on the Kaspersky icon, type in your code and you are good to go, with a year of excellent malware protection.

All in all, I spent six months researching a computer that would fit my needs. I started with the hybrid laptops and worked my way through other options with all the pros and cons for each. I could not be happier with this Sony Vaio. It is close to perfect, better than any other computer (of the many and varied computers)I have owned to date. (although I do still have a soft spot for that ancient Packard Bell with Windows 95 on it)... =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent computer for seniors, May 9, 2013
My parents' old desktop finally gave in, and they wanted another desktop because they wanted a big screen. I went to a few local stores and check out the different brands; the two finalists were this Tap 20 and a Toshiba all-in-one. My dad went to check them out and decided to buy this i5 Tap 20. (Sony and Best Buy also offer an i3 version, for cheaper of course!) He thought the screen size was perfect for him and Mum -- not so big as the Toshiba which he found a litle uncomfortable to look at from a distance where he could still use the keyboard, and not so small as to make senior citizens squint. The new Metro design is evidently not only a hit with kids, but with older folks as well. My parents were extremely happy with the new Metro tiles. They've now had the Tap 20 for about 3 weeks and really, really love it. It's snappy, it's portable when needed (weighing about 11.5 lbs. including the built-in battery), and my parents love unplugging it and showing their guests pictures and videos of their grandson, with the Tap 20 laid flat on the coffee table! This "giant tablet" as some people call it, is the first computer they've ever really liked -- and between the two of them they go all the way back to Apple II and Tandy TRS-80! Just perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars After 1 week - Awesome, March 8, 2013
Love it. I am a techy in my mid 20's and grown up tinkering with computers. I built the last computer I owned. Having said that, this thing provides many novel attributes and really feels like the future. I walk by it in the morning with my cup of coffee, touch the screen to wake it up and scroll through the news, check e-mail and start Pandora playing. I then move on with my morning without sitting down or pulling out the mouse or keyboard. Seamless and effortless. Windows 8 takes some practice but after a week is easy. My 18 month old loves the paint program, i'm sure there's other apps for her. Last night my wife and I set it on our ottoman and sat on the couch playing Cut the Rope together. I bought an external DVD drive and installed Microsoft Office 2007 without a problem. Its great having some of the luxuries of a tablet (apps and touch) with the utility to sit down and write a paper and work through an Excel sheet. I also installed Call of Duty 4 and it runs pretty well! Definitely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 inch touchscreen with Windows 8... whats not to like?, April 19, 2013
This touchscreen "portable desktop" has been a great addition to our home. There is nothing else in the market like this device. Its big and bulky, don't buy it expecting a tablet or laptop. Its made for "around the home". You can lay it flat and play Win8 app board games. 3-4 people can play at the same time. Great for chess, checkers, puzzles, monoply, etc. They keyboard works just fine, though I have had it "stop working" when moving between profiles on the computer". The mouse is garbage, expect to use something else... or learn how to use the touchscreen instead. Wireless works fine, have had no issues keeping it connected to my network (D-Link Wireless router). I really have nothing bad to say about the device, I'm really glad we bought it, its the perfect addition to our kitchen and living room.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, December 21, 2012
This machine is like a functional concept car. People who complain about Windows 8 typically are comparing it to an Apple platform. Stop the madness! Windows machines are normally used for office and business productivity, most Apple products are used for media consumption. The Tap 20 with Windows 8 is a hybrid, and a new concept in computing.

The machine is a bit underpowered, but not so much that it is unbearable. I have had no problems with crashes, or lags. If you are willing to be an early adopter of Windows 8, then this machine will meet
your basic computing needs.

I am completely satisfied with this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware. Terrible software., November 7, 2013
Adrian (Lancaster, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
The hardware here is excellent even though it isn't cutting edge. The screen isn't 1080p but looks great, especially for video. Text isn't razor sharp but is acceptable. The screen is responsive and the house and keyboard are nice. All of my issues are with the software. Windows isn't good. It is relatively fast and easy to use but it is a mess. Switching between the new and older interfaces happens all the time whether you like it or not and really gets confusing when trying to switch apps or play music in the background. Its really terrible. I like the versatilty of the built in battery that lets me move this around and very quickly set up as a tv in any room.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›