4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but overpriced
I feel a bit taken by Sony. We bought this USB wireless adapter for our Sony BluRay player. The players text on the box implied that it was ready to go. It wasn't until we opened the box and read the manual that we discovered that we had to buy this proprietary adapter.

Published on August 20, 2010 by Randy Green

Published on October 17, 2010 by Robert Brubaker

3.0 out of 5 stars Already own a Sony BlueRay Disc player? Chances are you'll need this device to go wireless!, October 17, 2010
This review is from: Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Personal Computers)
Sony's website and product box would have you believe the BDP-S470 player is "WiFi Adaptor ready"! This suggests any USB wireless adaptor will work for internet access so long as the adaptor works with one of Sony's recommended routers. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! Not only do you need the right router but as Sony writes - in small print, "...Unit has built in support for the UWA-BR100 USB Wi-Fi Dongle (sold separately)". In short Sony's dongle has authentication software built into it, which requires you to buy another $70.00 item "FROM SONY" before wireless connectivity is possible.

Other adaptors I own for use with devices like the "Wii" proved to have superior reach compared to the Sony adaptor. Sony would do well to take a lesson from Nintendo and allow for more compatibility with other brands! Also, if your blu-ray player doesn't include sufficient built-in memory (as I found with mine), you will need to add a fast external USB drive with a lot of space before you can access certain features available from services like Netflix or BD live etc.

TO SONY: Rather than hide the facts in small print, BE HONEST enough with your customers and put it in writing ON THE BOX! Having the right information will help you sell more product "AT THE TIME OF THE ORIGINAL" purchase. You'll find your customers less frustrated with you and your products if you're open and honest about what your products require for them to work "AS ADVERTISED!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but overpriced, August 20, 2010
This review is from: Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Personal Computers)

We should have read a little bit closer but 'wireless ready' seems unambiguous to me. We could have taken it back and looked for another BluRay with wireless built in, but we probably would have saved only a few bucks.

Bottom line is that the BluRay player should have had the wireless adapter built in, or the adapter should have only cost $30. They're charging over twice the price that is necessary but we love the Netflix capability that it delivers.

I probably should have only given this three stars based on the exorbitant price but I dropped them one for the need to order the adapter and have to wait for it.

1.0 out of 5 stars **DO NOT BUY** Get a wifi bridge for half the price, January 4, 2011
This review is from: Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Personal Computers)
Do not buy this product!!! You can simply get a ZyXEL WAP3205 Wireless N access point, Ethernet client, and universal repeater instead for about HALF the price and boost your wifi signal strength at the same time. I set this up next to my blu-ray player and ran short CATv cable from the bridge to the player and it works great, i.e. streaming netflix movies. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET A BRIDGE!
ZyXEL WAP3205 Wireless N access point, Ethernet client, and universal repeater

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous Sony pricing trick!, November 28, 2010
N. Baheti (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Personal Computers)
I bought the Sony BluRay player for $99 during Thanksgiving. Awesome price, but it only works with the $75 Sony Wireless adaptor. Thats ridiculous. Returning the Sony bluray player and buying Apple TV, as I bought the Sony player originally for its Netlix capacity.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, November 27, 2010
This review is from: Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Personal Computers)
This is a complete scam by Sony, pure and simple.

1) Purposely not include wifi in your TV
2) Make the tv only work with sony's wifi adapter instead of a standard usb wifi adapter
3) Markup the price by 400% of a regular adapter and put a sony sticker on it.

Add insult to injury, it doesnt even offer any good content.

Instead of paying over $70 for this useless crap, get yourself an apple tv for $99, it will do everything this adapter does and much more. Or if you dont like apple,-insert any brand- wifi ready media box for much less.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Complete rip-off from Sony, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Personal Computers)
A complete rip-off from Sony. You need this USB wi-fi adapter, and ONLY this USB wi-fi adapter, to connect your Sony BD player to your wireless network. So, my $100 BD player needs an $80 accessory to work as advertised. Very deceitful, Sony. The BD player is going back.

1.0 out of 5 stars very short range, little reception, November 28, 2010
Stan (Denison, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Personal Computers)
Device will pick up wireless, but takes forever to buffer & deliver and then only in 2-3 minute increments. My wireless works on all devicess quite well throughout our house with the lone exception being this adapter. Sony blu-ray will only run effectively with a Cat 5 cable directly or with blu-ray and adapter in the same room with the router.

1.0 out of 5 stars Predatory Pricing, December 27, 2010
Dave Pedley (Austin, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Personal Computers)
Predatory pricing practice. USB key authentication ensures only the over priced Sony product will work. Unethical marketing practices are the hallmark of a company in decline.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony make the choices for you, December 3, 2010
C. Schwartz (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Personal Computers)
I recently purchased the Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter for my Sony DVD player (to enable downloading of movies from the Netflix website). I had orginally spent $40.00 on a different adapter and then found that it wouldn't work with the Sony system. After reading many reviews I realized that I had NO CHOICE but to spent another $70.00 to make the Netflix work with the Sony products (we have the Bravia TV and the Sony DVD player). This adapter is very over-priced compared to other adapters. Now, I am out $40.00 after buying the first (useless) adapter (too may months have passed for me to return it to Amazon even though I haven't used it). On top of that, I had to pay for an adapter that was the ONLY one that would work. When it came time to use it -- the whole process of getting it all set up to watch movies--co-ordinating the TV with the adapter and the compter was time consuming and not as easy as expected. With all of this said -- the actual product (Sony WI-FI Adapter) works just fine and I have (finally) been enjoying Netflix movies using my home network to stream movies to the compter and TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but works great, June 14, 2010
This review is from: Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Personal Computers)
Plugging this thing to my blu-ray player turned it into an awesome internet video-streaming device.
I don't know if it is this adapter what makes the video quality so good, or a combination of things (internet provider, router, etc). But this adaptor does its job well for sure.

On the other hand, it's not like you have a choice - to make a Sony "internet ready" blu-ray player an "internet enabled" player, you need this adaptor. This is the only compatible brand/model. And it's pretty pricey, too. Shame on Sony for that - had I known this, I would've bought the next model, which comes with built-in wireless capabilities.

But to focus in the adaptor itself, it's a very good product.

Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter