Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on October 17, 2010
Sony's website and product box would have you believe the BDP-S470 player is "WiFi Adaptor ready"! This suggests any USB wireless adaptor will work for internet access so long as the adaptor works with one of Sony's recommended routers. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! Not only do you need the right router but as Sony writes - in small print, "...Unit has built in support for the UWA-BR100 USB Wi-Fi Dongle (sold separately)". In short Sony's dongle has authentication software built into it, which requires you to buy another $70.00 item "FROM SONY" before wireless connectivity is possible.

Other adaptors I own for use with devices like the "Wii" proved to have superior reach compared to the Sony adaptor. Sony would do well to take a lesson from Nintendo and allow for more compatibility with other brands! Also, if your blu-ray player doesn't include sufficient built-in memory (as I found with mine), you will need to add a fast external USB drive with a lot of space before you can access certain features available from services like Netflix or BD live etc.

TO SONY: Rather than hide the facts in small print, BE HONEST enough with your customers and put it in writing ON THE BOX! Having the right information will help you sell more product "AT THE TIME OF THE ORIGINAL" purchase. You'll find your customers less frustrated with you and your products if you're open and honest about what your products require for them to work "AS ADVERTISED!"
2626 comments829 of 846 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2010
I feel a bit taken by Sony. We bought this USB wireless adapter for our Sony BluRay player. The players text on the box implied that it was ready to go. It wasn't until we opened the box and read the manual that we discovered that we had to buy this proprietary adapter.

We should have read a little bit closer but 'wireless ready' seems unambiguous to me. We could have taken it back and looked for another BluRay with wireless built in, but we probably would have saved only a few bucks.

Bottom line is that the BluRay player should have had the wireless adapter built in, or the adapter should have only cost $30. They're charging over twice the price that is necessary but we love the Netflix capability that it delivers.

I probably should have only given this three stars based on the exorbitant price but I dropped them one for the need to order the adapter and have to wait for it.
2525 comments305 of 326 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2011
Do not buy this product!!! You can simply get a ZyXEL WAP3205 Wireless N access point, Ethernet client, and universal repeater instead for about HALF the price and boost your wifi signal strength at the same time. I set this up next to my blu-ray player and ran short CATv cable from the bridge to the player and it works great, i.e. streaming netflix movies. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET A BRIDGE!
ZyXEL WAP3205 Wireless N access point, Ethernet client, and universal repeater
1717 comments165 of 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2010
I bought the Sony BluRay player for $99 during Thanksgiving. Awesome price, but it only works with the $75 Sony Wireless adaptor. Thats ridiculous. Returning the Sony bluray player and buying Apple TV, as I bought the Sony player originally for its Netlix capacity.
33 comments130 of 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2010
A complete rip-off from Sony. You need this USB wi-fi adapter, and ONLY this USB wi-fi adapter, to connect your Sony BD player to your wireless network. So, my $100 BD player needs an $80 accessory to work as advertised. Very deceitful, Sony. The BD player is going back.
11 comment65 of 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2010
Device will pick up wireless, but takes forever to buffer & deliver and then only in 2-3 minute increments. My wireless works on all devicess quite well throughout our house with the lone exception being this adapter. Sony blu-ray will only run effectively with a Cat 5 cable directly or with blu-ray and adapter in the same room with the router.
11 comment53 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2010
This is a complete scam by Sony, pure and simple.

1) Purposely not include wifi in your TV
2) Make the tv only work with sony's wifi adapter instead of a standard usb wifi adapter
3) Markup the price by 400% of a regular adapter and put a sony sticker on it.

Add insult to injury, it doesnt even offer any good content.

Instead of paying over $70 for this useless crap, get yourself an apple tv for $99, it will do everything this adapter does and much more. Or if you dont like apple,-insert any brand- wifi ready media box for much less.
11 comment59 of 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2010
Predatory pricing practice. USB key authentication ensures only the over priced Sony product will work. Unethical marketing practices are the hallmark of a company in decline.
11 comment39 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2010
I recently purchased the Sony USB Wi-Fi Adapter for my Sony DVD player (to enable downloading of movies from the Netflix website). I had orginally spent $40.00 on a different adapter and then found that it wouldn't work with the Sony system. After reading many reviews I realized that I had NO CHOICE but to spent another $70.00 to make the Netflix work with the Sony products (we have the Bravia TV and the Sony DVD player). This adapter is very over-priced compared to other adapters. Now, I am out $40.00 after buying the first (useless) adapter (too may months have passed for me to return it to Amazon even though I haven't used it). On top of that, I had to pay for an adapter that was the ONLY one that would work. When it came time to use it -- the whole process of getting it all set up to watch movies--co-ordinating the TV with the adapter and the compter was time consuming and not as easy as expected. With all of this said -- the actual product (Sony WI-FI Adapter) works just fine and I have (finally) been enjoying Netflix movies using my home network to stream movies to the compter and TV.
0Comment32 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2010
Plugging this thing to my blu-ray player turned it into an awesome internet video-streaming device.
I don't know if it is this adapter what makes the video quality so good, or a combination of things (internet provider, router, etc). But this adaptor does its job well for sure.

On the other hand, it's not like you have a choice - to make a Sony "internet ready" blu-ray player an "internet enabled" player, you need this adaptor. This is the only compatible brand/model. And it's pretty pricey, too. Shame on Sony for that - had I known this, I would've bought the next model, which comes with built-in wireless capabilities.

But to focus in the adaptor itself, it's a very good product.
33 comments26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse