Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony VCL-M3358 58mm Close Up Lens for the DCR-VX2100
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on January 9, 2007
I have had this lens for about two months and I love it. It allows me to get really close to subjects. You can even have the subject touching the lens and still be in focus. The lens is of great quality.

Amazon was the least expensive site I found for this product. Great shipping and tracking.

I highly recommend this product to all DSC-H1 or H2 or H5 owners.
on April 5, 2011
I am very pleased with this Sony VCL-M3358 Close-up lens. I wanted to experiment in macro photography without jumping head-on into buying a dedicated macro lens right away. This is a fairly substantial piece of glass at 2.5 ozs, it is multi-coated and comes with a very sturdy plastic storage case. It screws easily onto my Canon 55-250mm IS zoom lens. After experimenting for awhile and figuring out what settings to use it became pretty easy to quickly bring a stationary subject into focus. My technique evolved to turn the focus ring all the way to the right, back off just a bit, and then physically move the camera in and out to get a rough focus and then manually fine tune from there. I found it also necessary to hold my breath and let the IS stabilize for a few seconds before slowly pressing the shutter button. At full zoom on my lens it doesn't take much movement to lose the subject completely. I was shooting in a dimly lit room where I also found that my built-in flash works exceptionally well, again at full zoom there is no noticeable shadow produced by the lens blocking the light although I didn't experiment too much with anything under 200mm. Because you get so close to whatever you are shooting I did have to turn the flash compensation down to -2 to prevent washing everything out. I am looking forward to some nicer weather to get out and find some bugs to shoot!
on June 9, 2007
I have been using the M3358 with a Pentax telezoom (58mm filter thread)with excellent results. This top quality lens is very bit as sharp and well-made as the Canon 500D and Nikon 6T, at almost half the price! It has very nice multi-coating and is made in Japan. Anyone using a lens with 58mm filter thread should consider buying the M3358 instead of paying more for the Canon or Nikon equivalents. The color rendition and distortion control is top notch!
on October 27, 2010
I originally got this lens about a year ago for the Sony Cybershot DSC-H20 (attachable with special adapter). What a disappointment that was. The lens on that camera already has amazing close-up/macro capability and this attachment handicaps, rather than enhances it. What's more, the adapter disables the auto-focus lamp -- which is a big problem on a camera that doesn't have manual focus controls! If you've got the H20, don't bother with this.

On the other hand, it fits perfectly on the end of the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my new Canon Rebel XSi, and works wonderfully. I was able to fill half the frame with a dried flower the size of a grape (added to customer images).

I'm so pleased to be able to take almost-macro shots with my new DSLR, without having to wait until I'm ready to spend another two hundred or more on a specialized lens.
review image
on June 28, 2005
Do not expect this to replace the zoom from your camera. It will not do that nor was it intended to do so. What it does do is optically bring things a little bit closer. This is certainly preferably to using the digital zoom that comes with so many cameras.

The lens works by screwing into the end of the camera lens where filters would normally be put. This means that it is something which must be planned for to be used. It is not to be put on while filming is taking place; it is in place when filming begins. Since it is easy to use, this should not take too long. The normal zoom of the camera can be used while this lens is in place. Having it in place just changes the limits from a little bit closer to what would normally be the case to not quite as far when the camera is zoomed out to maximum. Care should be taken not to get this lens cross threaded when putting it in place.

The quality of the optics seem to be fine. I used it on a Sony DCR-VX2100 and had no problems.

This is a handy gadget to have handy in your case but be aware of what it will and will not do.
on February 12, 2007
The two-element close-up lens on a digital zoom lens pretty effectively replaces a very expensive MACRO lens. This is an excellent workaround and results are very good. Do NOT confuse this item with a standard single element closeup lens (or set). It is a two element lens and worth every penny in lieu of the several hundred dollars you might have to spend on a true MACRO lens.
on February 2, 2007
This is a must if you want to get great photos of delicate flowers, special small items and collections of all kinds. Stamps, coins, etc.
on November 3, 2006
I am very pleased with Sony's Close up ring. There was far less distortion than using the cheapie close up lens on the market.
on September 26, 2010
Good glass and no color distortion. My main reason for getting this lens is for stacking with a teleconverter. Great results when you need a close up of something you can't get close to. Try it you'll like it. This lens will work with any camera that has 58mm filter thread and for cameras with other sizes - get an up or down adapter.
on December 6, 2009
I ordered this lens to use as an attachment for my Olympus E-620 dSLR with 14-42 lens, so that is the specific configuration to which this applies.

1. Quality of lens, image: first rate. No complaints

2. Magnification factor: when I compared closest focus with/without lens, it didn't seem to make much difference. Using crude on-screen measurements, the figure I came up with was 20% magnification increase. Helpful, but not a lot.

I'll use this when I do close-up work, but would have preferred a little more of a boost than 20%.