Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Price:$212.49+ Free shipping

VINE VOICEon November 9, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This multipod is a great, compact way to carry all three (tripod, mono-pod, and mini-pod) all in one, and each very well built. It is very versatile, easily configured and extended. It feels well built, not cheap, but still lightweight, as it weighs 2lb 2oz on my kitchen scale. The light metal, dense spongy grip, and rubber feet feel solid. The extension points easily loosen, extend/collapse, and tighten (as long as you don't over-tighten). The legs easily configure (surprisingly better than I expected) but take care not to step on them. Mount point easily snaps securely into place and releases, and the hand nut to redirect it easily loosens & tightens. I think it is a very nice, versatile tripod. And in mini-pod form it is easily one of the best I had been looking at (as mini-pods tend to be cheaper and not have as many features). The mini-pod is the exact same thing, just with the shaft removed. The mono-pod is the same, just with a single foot and a bit lighter, but you might prefer to just keep the legs on while pushed together.

Within each form, it is is very easily and quickly configurable. The 3 standout features are: (1) The legs are so easy to configure. There is a locking tab that easily clicks into 3 quick positions and the legs easily extend and retract. (2) The height adjusts very easily in 4 collapsing sections to quite a height (eye level for me, I'm 5'10"). (3) The mount on the top easily loosens and tightens to swivel in all directions *and* has a snap-in & release lever to attach/release your camera without having to spin your camera around a nut, just a little tiny platform that releases or snaps in.

But to transition between the 3 forms, you will need to unscrew 2 things and reattach, such as remove the top & bottom (remove the middle shaft) to make a mini-pod, or remove the legs to make a mono-pod, etc. It is very easy to unscrew and reattach (shown in video). The case itself is very versatile and folds several different ways meant to store pieces when not used for each form. But for a true professional who needs to instantly switch forms, it is too much to be unscrewing things. But within each form, it is quickly configurable. However you can almost instantly switch between tripod & mono-pod just by pushing together the legs or pulling back out as they easily configure. But you must take care not to step on these legs, as they are lightweight hallow tubes, which might be a concern of someone running around crowds or stumbling around themselves in a rush. I would think such a professional might choose an unbreakable piece of equipment, and perhaps the 3 pieces separately to suit the needs.

The bag is surprisingly configurable, but is not perfect. It transforms into several different shapes to store pieces and different modes, such as a mono-pod stuff into it supported by your shoulder instead of using the ground, such as to hold the camera high and steady. The snaps and Velcro work well and quickly enough. But it still take two hands to slide the tripod in due to the width and friction of the rubber feet. But it is more about compact design and versatility. The bag is not the highlight, but is a nice touch as opposed to a trivial bag or not having one. The nylon strap detaches if you prefer to attach your own.
55 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2012
On the surface, this looks like an ideal photo accessory. It's a tripod, a monopod, a min-tripod, and even more. However, in execution, it's just not ready, yet.

Premise: I purchased this so that I could have a compact, lightweight monopod to travel and hike with that could also be used as a tripod in a pinch.

Weight: VERY heavy considering it's size. My full-size carbon fiber tripod with ball head weighs about the same. This thing would make a good police night stick. The upside to this is that it feels like a solid, high quality product.

Ease of use: The twist-lock extension is extremely hard to work with. When you twist it to lock , it can become very difficult to unlock---so much so that Sony had to drill a hold in the side for a knob so you can get extra leverage. On the other hand, I once had a section collapse down when I didn't twist lock enough.

Size: It's not that compact in reality. I have a small Manfrotto tripod that I use for flashes that is shorter than this monopod.

Tripod Stability: This was the final decider for returning the multipod. When used as a tripod at full height, it's just too wobbly. I put my Nikon D7000 with a small prime lens on it and was scared it would tip over. This camera/lens combo is below the 4 pound limit Sony suggests and the center of gravity is almost directly over the mount point. To be fair, the wobbliness has nothing to do with the rigidity of the multipod; it's the small tripod portion supporting weight at that 5 ft. height that's the issue. Even with a small camcorder or point and shoot (or even nothing at all attached), it's still going to be wobbly just because the multipod is top heavy and the footprint of the tripod portion is so small.

Monopod: Too heavy and too "indoor" to use walking around. For a wedding, it might be OK, but so would any simple monopod.

Ball head: The included ball head is very basic and small. I had difficulty getting the camera mound locked into the head at times. The multipod does have a standard screw-on top, though, so you can fit any head you currently own to it.

Versatility: The multipod does all it advertises--and that may be it's biggest flaw and the reason it and any others designed to do everything will ultimately prove unsatisfactory. You can't make a minivan into a sports car and maybe you can't make a single camera mount into every mount you might need.

Price: I got this during a Black Cyber Friday Monday deal for a great price. At it's regular price point, and given it's limitations, it's not worth anything close to what Sony believes. I can certainly see how much R&D is tied up in this and how much attention was paid to quality control, but it's just not worth it.

Positives: The tripod portion makes a GREAT tabletop tripod. The bag reconfigures into any size you need and is very very cool with it's ability to be used as a "flag holder" (see the pics). Construction feels very high quality.

Recommendation: If you are thinking about ordering this, I'd look at it as a great table top tripod with an occasional use as a monopod or tripod (if no kids, dogs, etc. will bump into it). Also, if someone breaks into your house, you can always beat them over the head with it.

Maybe next time, Sony.
VINE VOICEon November 9, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This multipod is fairly sturdy with a small camera setup. As others have mentioned a 200 zoom would be about the max I would go with a DSLR, especially if I wasn't holding the unit. It will be fine for most consumer/prosumer video cameras. Though, I doubt the prosumer would go for this unit.

The unit is made of aluminum so it is light. Further, the head is not fluid filled nor does it have a bubble level, it is a simple ball without a handle for panning. It extends from about 18" to 5'. The small tripod foot assembly is removable and the head screws on to it to create a low tripod. This is a handy feature. Further, utility for the multipod is found in its carrying case as well. The case has a long strap which can be slung around the body using the case as a place to put the feet giving one a support for the unit when using it to shoot above one's head.

The locking mechanisms for the legs, and adjustable body parts are simply twist locks,that use the shape of the pole to wedge lock the sections in place. If these are not twist locked tight the unit collapses. The three adjustable sections are delineated by foam rubber bands around the body. These must be gripped when locking/unlocking or its nigh impossible to unlock if you have given it a good locking twist, as one should/would do with an expensive camera sitting atop it.

Overall, I would spend a little more for a purpose specific Manfrotto with a fluid filled head, superior build materials, and superior locking mechanisms if I were a prosumer level or above photographer/videographer. For the person below the prosumer level this would be a decent unit to acquire, especially if the convertible aspect is needed. It's far superior to the sub $100 monopods. I do feel the price is high, considering the Manfrotto mentioned is about $60 more currently and in my opinion, more substantial.
on December 23, 2012
The Sony Multipod desires 5 stars. This is mostly used as a monopod for me.
Tip Instructions: See dual screw mounts at the monopod base. Use the rubber screw mount at the vertical screw slot to twist and release or lock ALL sections quickly and then, return the rubber screw mount to the monopod bottom base position.
Pros
- lightweight at about 2 pounds with monopod and case (tripod weight excluded)
- quick setup
- combination carrying case and pouch for above head video or picture moments
- fits in carry on luggage
- bonus usage as a tripod ranging from ground level to about 5 foot setups
- acceptable price compared to similar products

Cons
- carrying strap could use comfort padding when holding monopod for above head moments
- ball head is acceptable

FYI: I own the Trekpod II. Both sacrifice stability to gain lightweight convenience in the tripod mode. Trekpod II converts the fastest between tripod and monopod but does NOT fit in carry on luggage. The more expensive versions of TrekTech products fit in carry on luggage. Thus, Sony's Multipod provides ALL around usage benefits.
on August 26, 2013
Pros - this product has a variety of set-up options. Low, high, hand held, tripod, with camera, or use for lighting accessories. It can even be used for two separate cameras (one monopod & one tripod) or a camera (monopod) and accessory (tripod) at the same time depending upon which parts are employed during set-up. The cam-style locking mechanism holds firmly.
Cons - During my first use, I experienced some difficulties unlocking individual sections of the main shaft without unlocking the ones I wanted kept in-place. This happened during a quick scene adjustment at an ongoing event and I missed the first few seconds of the shot while making the necessary adjustment. Had I been shooting with a single camera, this would have been a most undesirable incident.
Now that I'm aware of the cam-lock mechanism difficulties, I will take it into consideration. Overall the product is well designed, highly adaptable, and well made.
on August 25, 2014
I'm really disappointed Sony. I was willing to pay the cost but...

I'm going with a 1 star because the locking mechanism just doesn't work well. I think the idea and design is fantastic but Sony needs to fix the way the lock works. As I write this it's extended about 4 feet and for the life of me I haven't been able to get it to release so I can close it.

I thought the tripod option would be great on the trail when I wanted to take a picture of myself and the mountains or even if panning around.

I returned it and bought a different one that doesn't have the tripod feature.
on April 28, 2013
The Multipod monopod is well built and works very well with the camera. It adds a degree of stability to the camera shots that are not possible with a hand held camera. You can be in a large group of people and you can position the camera several feet above every ones heads and get an unobstructed view of the subject. Sony really produced a high quality tool that allows you to get a perfect shot when every one else is struggling to see the subject. It is small, compact, and light weight plus all features work very well.
on December 5, 2012
Very versatile design, and nicely built. The best uses for it are as a monopod, a low level tripod, or a tabletop tripod. Aa a full-length tripod it is a shaky compromise.

My reason for 3 stars is based on my experience with it in monopod mode.

I had got the pieces apart and was fixing it up in monopod mode. One of the telescopic leg sections got stuck in the extended position and it took nearly 45 minutes of struggling to loosen it up again.
This reflects either a manufacturing defect - the other leg sections worked fine, or a design defect - unlikely.

This malfunction happened at home, so it was not a big deal. But if I had been out and about, trying to deal with a recalcitrant monopod leg section for the best part of an hour would have been problematic.

Regretfully, it goes back.
on May 6, 2014
I have been wanting a monopod and when I saw this one with the small tripod at the bottom I thought....why not? Its compact, approx 23" collapsed (including tripod legs attached). Weight is not too bad, about 2lbs. Im really happy with the camera attachment ball. Comes with a quick release metal attachment and the ball makes for easy left and right swivel and change from portriat to landscape camera positioning. I havent had a chance to try carrying the mulipod in any of the bags. I plan on attaching this to the exterior of my camera backpack while on a bike trip to Croatia. For the price I dont think you will be disappointed.
on August 25, 2015
It takes a little to get use to it. I'm accustomed to tripods that with levers extend, this one twists. I have used it in a couple of parties and i absolutely love the fact that i can extend and with the pouch i can take some very high video and or photos with the right camera and remote. Specially useful at parties where people will walk in front. No longer a problem since my camera is high in the air.