Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on April 3, 2012
This grip will help you during portrait shot. The comfort will make you keep on shooting the whole day with the help of its second battery.
The grip connects in the camera tightly and secured. It's plastic but not cheap plastic, and I read that it is also magnesium alloy inside (not stated in the box).
The control is as much as responsive with the original, and with the design it looks good and professional.
Weight doesn't give much difference to carry using a shoulder strap, but if you put the strap around your neck you'll feel more uncomfortable.
Maybe my next project would be the Neoprene strap and a bag that can carry this combo-camera. Over-all I am happy with this product.

Update:
4/17/2012
- Battery slot has a number on it and LCD will indicate which one is drained.
- Less charged or used battery will be used first rather than the fully charge.
- You can still use the camera even if the grip is turned off.
- Yes, it is weather sealed.

8/20/2012
-Still attached on my camera, it gives balance to the weight when using heavy lens.
on November 16, 2011
I purchased the battery grip for my new Sony A77 for a few reasons. If you use the A77 very much in video mode you will drain the battery quickly. In addition, if you use either the 24-70mm or 70-200mm you need the battery grip for stability. There isn't a knock off. I have to say that it is perfect in every way other than battery drain. I have not figured out if the camera is draining both batteries at the same time or if it drains one and then switches to the other. I was down to 60%. I put one battery into the charger and it was still at 100% full. Therefore, the other one was being used at least first, if not automatically 2nd. So, do I have to switch the position of the two batteries when the first one is dead? I don't know.

I highly recommend the purchase of this battery grip. Amazon had THEE LOWEST PRICE of any retailer on earth. Most places wanted $400.00. Amazon was under $300.00. They included free shipping and it was shipped from Hong Kong very quickly.
on November 2, 2011
As with the grip for the now discontinued A700, this accessory will completely change the look and feel of your A77. On weekends I photograph outdoor action sports. This usually entails lugging around a couple of cameras with heavy fast zoom lenses attached. Last weekend, before the grip arrived, I photographed an event with the A77 as my primary camera. On it was mounted a fairly substantial 70-200/2.8 zoom. I used this combo most of the morning, but after a while I swapped off cameras, preferring to use my older and less capable A700 as the primary because the un-gripped A77 did not feel balanced. Every time I put the 77 to my eye it felt very front heavy. The lens weighs considerably more than the camera body. My wrists were getting sore for lack of a vertical release button. It's funny how the little things add up to enhance an experience. I received the grip a few days ago and immediately tested it out on my favorite action model, Sydney my Labordoodle. After playing Frisbee toss with her for a while in all shooting positions, the gripped A77 now feels just like my beloved A700's. Long lenses once again feel balanced. But the biggest plus is the camera now looks pro.
There are a few drawbacks to the grip design, the subtraction of one star (actually I would make it half a star). When you carry it at your side, the rear control dial gets jostled around a bit. Often, when shooting in S or A mode, I have been surprised to find my settings changed. The easy fix is to turn the grip off, but you lose use of all the grips functions. Another solution would be to get a strap to attach to the side of the camera. As compared to the accessory grips from the other two big guys on the block, it's a bit more expensive. But the camera itself is a slightly less so the final price a about the same.
Last thing the CORRECT model for this grip is VG-C77 not VC.
on December 18, 2014
This grip serves several valuable functions. The first is it takes two batteries, making your shooting time basically all day without a battery change. The second is it allows you to grip with a second hand and when you rotate the camera for portrait shots, you still have a solid right hand grip and shutter button in the correct place.

One often overlooked advantage of the addition of this grip to your Alpha camera is making it appear as if you're shooting with a 5000 dollar professional rig. Clients respect it more than the camera alone which looks like every other camera. Even amateurs will move out of your way more often when they see this 'big gun' coming.

The only disadvantages? More weight to carry and you may have to get another camera bag if you want to transport this without disassembling it each time.
review image
on February 19, 2012
This is a nice, solid grip. It's a little expensive for a grip but worth the features.

Pros:
Lets you have 2 batteries instead of 1.
Easy to install and remove.
Buttons are in the same position as the camera body.
Grip feels as good in the hand for shooting.
Doesn't add much weight to the camera.

Cons:
Have to turn on/off the buttons with a power switch.
Can drain the batteries if you leave the buttons on.

I highly recommend this grip. And it makes your A77 look hot!
on January 3, 2013
I have never owned a camera without the optional grip. In the old days they were called autowinders. I love the Sony grips as they give the camera some heft resulting in stability. When holding the camera in the portrait position, you have the important buttons in the correct position of the grip in order to make adjustments while you are shooting. And, of course, having the extra battery takes the worry out of running out of juice.
UPDATE: August 2014
This unit works with the a77 MII. I purchased the MII and installed the grip. Works perfectly.
on March 16, 2014
This is a professional-quality grip that doubles your battery life and allows ease of use when holding the camera in portrait orientation. It's a Sony branded product so you'd expect nothing but the best and that is exactly what you get.

I especially love the way Sony shows you how much battery life is remaining in each individual battery, and the way the software and hardware drain one battery completely before moving on to the next. This is perfect for extending battery life to its fullest and increasing the lifetime of your lithium-ion rechargeable batteries.
on July 14, 2013
I just started using this, but it makes taking vertical shots so much easier. It adds heft to the camera, is a very comfortable hand grip. and puts the controls where you need them for the vertical shots so that you can easily stabilize the camera. Very easy to put on the camera (takes one minute) and to use. There is no special programming of the camera needed. Also, having two batteries in this grip takes away the worry of having to change out batteries at an inconvenient moment and losing the chance at a good shot, or having a dead battery in your camera and no spare in your pocket on a long outing.
on December 18, 2014
The shipping was very fast and The packaging new as it was detail for sell. Now here it is, UPDATE: Excellent grip for long hour photography shooting in landscaping or just outside for a whole day. The Grip quality is build very well and feel great in the hand. For some, this might not be something that you may need due to adding just a bit more weight. Just think about if you had an extra battery to take that photo you just miss on or that video you could have recorded but your only battery isn't charge or the fact of the matter is that you don't have to swap out one battery for another when yo can continuously use your camera without changing the batteries until they are all completely finish. (BY THE END OF THE DAY)

But this item is for the traveler indeed like myself. Come in handle for camping or expedition tours.. This about what you are going to use it for most of the time and don't buy the item and then leave a comment that is only three stars complaining about the extra weight. There is nothing wrong with this product but there is something wrong with the customer complaining about weight, knowing that you'd knew this was going to be an add on feature with the grip.
on February 21, 2014
The Vertical Grip for the A77 is not something I probably would have purchased on its on ($300) but when it was included for (Free) with the purchase of my A77 I didn't see a reason not to get it. I wasn't too familiar with the item just by observing its product page and a couple youtube videos so I was amazed to see that all the buttons are oriented for when the camera is in Vertical position (Hence the name Vertical grip I suppose) and it has many of the controls as the camera itself has.

It's a bit uncomfortable for me in that aspect though because trying to change shutter speed, or aperture, or any other settings using the vertical dials means I need to look through the viewfinder while in vertical and that just doesn't work for my eyes. If I want to take a vertical picture with the traditional camera I just adjust settings while horizontal, and then rotate the camera and snap the picture. I think at least for me this defeats the purpose of having all those dials and controls. It might be something I adjust to but trying to stare at the EVF sideways and read the screen doesn't work for me. Even if you want to bypass the EVF and use the LCD screen instead. Once you get it swiveled around and turned rightside up you are presented with an image that is upside down.

Vertical shooting aside I found having that lower grip when shooting horizontally allows my hand to relax around it naturally instead of near the lens. It will add some weight and bulk to an already large and heavy DSLT and give you double the shooting time if using two batteries. Storage is also a problem because it connects through the battery port so when not in use that stalk will make for troubles trying to find a place to stow it in your bag. It does come with a plastic sleeve but I'm more worried about it snapping if positioned poorly in bag.

Pros
+ Ability to use two batteries
+ Extra comfort in horizontal or vertical shooting

Cons
- EVF and LCD don't orientate themselves for vertical shooting, makes for uncomfortable eye adjustments if using controls.
- Price (If you didn't get as a promotion)
- Storage