Sony VGC-RC310G VAIO(R) Digital Studio Desktop PC - With this desktop computer, Sony gives you the latest in computer technology that's geared towards digital entertainment and multimedia creation. Powered by an Intel Pentium D dual-core processor 940 (3.2GHz), and 2GB of DDR2 SDRAM, you have the power to tackle the latest in PC gaming, professional-grade photo manipulation, and high-definition video capture and editing. A built-in Blu-Ray drive puts this desktop on the bleeding edge providing you with the ability to enjoy true HD movie content, as well as recording up to 25GB of data per (optional) blank Blu-Ray disc. The drive also has the ability to write to, and read from, multiple DVD and CD media formats. 300GB 7200RPM SATA HDD (RAID Ready) Blu-Ray Drive - (write speeds) up to 2x BD-R DL, 2x BD-R/-RE, 8x DVD+R DL, 4x DVD-R DL, 5x DVD-RAM, 8x DVD+R/-R/+RW/-RW, 24x CD-R, & 16x CD-RW Blu-Ray Drive - (read speeds) up to 2x BD-ROM, 2x BD-RE, 2x BD-R DL, 2x BD-ROM DL, 5x DVD-RAM, 8x DVD-ROM, & 32x CD-ROM 2nd Drive - DVD-ROM Expansion Bays - 2x 5.25 (0 open) / 1x 3.5 Ext. (0 open) / 4x 3.5 Int. (3 open) Expansion Slots - 1 x16 PCI Express (0 open) / 1 x1 PCI Express (open) / 2 PCI (1 open) Multimedia Card Reader - supports Memory Stick/PRO/Duo, Compact Flash Type I/II, Smart Media, SD/MMC, & xD Picture Card NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT Graphics with 256MB of shared GDDR3 SDRAM (memory is taken from the main system's RAM) Giga Pocket MPEG2 Realtime Encoder board w/ TV Tuner Ports - 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet, 2 DVI Out (1 with HDCP), 7 USB 2.0 (3 front), 2 Firewire (6-pin rear/4-pin front), 1 Audio In, 1 S/PDIF Out, 1 Subwoofer/Center Out, 1 Analog Audio Out, 1 VGA Out, 2 S-Video In (1 front), 2 Composite In (1 front), 1 Headphone Jack, 1 Microphone In, 1 Parallel, & 2 PS/2 Unit Weight - 30.9 lbs Monitor is not included
A powerhouse in computing for all your multimedia needs today, the Sony Vaio VGC-RC310G desktop computer will stand the test of time with a storage expansion capacity up to 2 TB (that's terabytes, as in 2,000 GB). It's also the first Sony desktop to offer high-definition Blu-ray Disc capability, which supports full 1080p HD video as well as up to 5.1 discrete channels of uncompressed digital audio. The Blu-ray system is backwards-compatible with standard DVDs and CDs, enabling you to enjoy your digital library for years to come. Watch and record your favorite shows with the integrated standard NTSC TV tuner and Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, which is enhanced by Sony's Giga Pocket engine. It's convenient and easy with on-screen program listings and navigation, and then create a digital library of programming that you can view at your convenience.
It's powered by a dual-core 3.2 GHz Intel Pentium D 940 processor, which delivers robust performance for running multiple, demanding applications simultaneously. Advanced DDR2 memory provides ultra high-speed computing, while the PCI Express x16 video graphics capabilities enable cinematic-quality effects and color. Other features include Sony's innovative liquid-cooling system and advanced noise-reduction technology, 300 GB hard drive, 2 GB of installed RAM (maximizing capacity), Nvidia GeForce 7600 graphics/video card with 256 MB of shared memory, a wealth of multimedia connectivity options and pre-loaded Sony software, and an additional DVD-ROM drive. It also come with a 5.1-channel speaker system and remote control.
Screen, Graphics and Sound
- Hard Drive: This entertainment-centric desktop is loaded with a gigantic 300 GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive (7200 RPM), which will store hundreds of hours of video programming as well as tens of thousands of music files. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to FireWire and USB 2.0.
- Processor: The 3.2 GHz Intel Pentium D 940 dual-core processor is a strong multimedia workhorse, and one of the most powerful processors available (as of June 2006). An Intel dual-core processor delivers additional computing resources and help expand the PC's capabilities by providing higher throughput and simultaneous computing. You'll be able to perform multiple tasks such as digital rendering and gaming all while running virus scan or other background tasks seamlessly. Each core has 2 MB of L2 cache onboard (for a 4 MB total), and the two cores share an 800 MHz front-side bus. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
- Memory: This Vaio multimedia desktop maxes out its 2 GB RAM capacity with the two 1 GB of DDR2 sticks (PC-4200), which offers excellent 533 MHz speed. The capacity is a bit smaller than other high-end multimedia desktop PCs, but the 2 GB will certainly provide excellent power for video editing and immersive 3-D gaming.
- CD/DVD Drive: This Vaio RC300 desktop is one of Sony's first Blu-ray Disc enabled desktops. It's capable of playing back Blu-ray Disc movies in stunning clarity, as well as playing your current library of purchased and burned disc content. It's also capable of burning HD Camcorder content in its original 1080 high-definition resolution can store a massive amount of data on a single disc (25 GB single layer disc to 50 GB on a double layer disc). This desktop also comes with a secondary standard DVD-ROM drive. The BD drive offers the following write speeds:
- DVD+R DL: 8x
- DVD+R: 8x
- DVD+RW: 8x
- DVD-R DL: 4x
- DVD-R: 8x
- DVD-RW: 8x
- CD-R: 24x
- CD-RW: 16x
- DVD-RAM: 5x
- BD-R: 2x
- BD-RE: 2x
- BD-ROM Read: 2x
- BD-RE Read: 2x
- BD-R DL Read: 2x
- BD-R DL: 2x
- Keyboard & Mouse: This desktop comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse, helping you to eliminate the clutter of desktop cords.
Video is powered by the Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT graphics card, which was chosen by PC World magazine as one of the 100 Best Products of 2006 (July, 2006). It has 256 MB of GDDR3 SDRAM (dynamically allocated shared RAM/video memory) for extreme high definition gaming and home-theater quality video. It features NVidia's PureVideo technology--which provides great picture clarity, smooth video, accurate color, and precise image scaling for video content. It also offers full support for Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 and true high dynamic-range (HDR) lighting. And it's ready for the next step in graphics processing--SLI technology (Scalable Link Interface)--which delivers twice the performance of a single GPU configuration by allowing two graphics cards to run in parallel. GDDR3 (Graphics Double Data Rate, version 3) is a graphics card-specific memory technology that's better able to deliver fluid frame rates for even the most advanced games and applications.
Connectivity and Expansion Slots
For expansion, this desktop has two 5.25-inch half-height external bays (occupied), one external 3.5-inch bay (occupied) and four internal 3.5-inch bays (one occupied), two PCI slots (one available), one x16 PCI Express (occupied), and one PCI Express x1 (available). It comes with the following external connectors:
- 7 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players (3 front, 4 rear)
- 2 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) ports for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals (1 6-pin in front, 1 4-pin in rear)
- 1 parallel port for connecting older printers and scanners
- 2 PS/2 ports for connecting keyboards and mice
- 2 DVI outputs (1 with HDCP)
- 2 S-Video inputs (front and rear)
- 2 composite video/audio inputs (front and rear)
- 1 RF coaxial video input (VHF/UHF)
- 1 VGA output
- 1 optical digital audio output (S/PDIF)
- 1 subwoofer/center audio output
- 1 microphone, 1 headphone, 1 line-in
- Multiformat memory card reader on the front, compatible with CompactFlash (Type I and II), MicroDrive, SmartMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro/Duo, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital, and XD Picture Card
It also has an integrated 56K modem (V.90) and an RJ-45 LAN network port for a 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet connection to networks and DSL/cable modems.
Preloaded System and Software
The pre-installed Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (Update Rollup 2) is essentially Windows XP Professional Edition with a variety of tools to help you to create, organize, and enjoy digital media ranging from music to home movies to photo slide shows. It also comes loaded with a bevy of Sony multimedia software: GigaPocket (personal video recording), Click to DVD (DVD creation), SonicStage Mastering Studio (digital music), Vaio Media (network file sharing), DVgate Plus (digital video), and Image Converter (for PSP transfer). Other pre-loaded software includes Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements, Microsoft Digital Imaging (Starter Edition), Quicken 2005 New User Edition, Microsoft Works 8.5 (with word processing, spreadsheet, and calendar), Norton Internet Security (with 60-day subscription), Intervideo WinDVD, Roxio DigitalMedia SE, and ULead BD Disc Recorder.
Dimensions and Weight
This desktop measures 7.7 x 15.7 x 17.9 inches (WxHxD) and it weighs approximately 31 pounds.
Advanced Cooling and Acoustic Technology
The innovative liquid-cooling system and advanced noise-reduction technology of this Vaio Digital Studio PC enables optimized multitasking performance without the heat or noise of traditional fan-cooled PC configuration. A unique liquid-flow heat pipe draws heat away from the processor, while air-intake from the desktop tower's mid-section maximizes air flow and optimizes Acoustics. The result: cool, quiet and reliable performance from an incredibly powerful desktop computer.
What's in the Box
This package contains the VGC-RC310G desktop PC, 5.1-channel surround sound speakers, wireless keyboard and optical mouse, remote control with IR blaster, and power cord. It is backed by a 1-year limited hardware warranty with 1 year of toll-free technical telephone assistance.