Sony Vaio TX Series opens a new level of portability within a notebook PC. Weighing in at around 2.5 pounds, this lightweight PC is for the mobile user who doesn't want to be bogged down with size and weight while travelling here, there, and everywhere. Part of this is due to a razor thin LCD screen that is 4.5 mm thin, approximately the depth of 4 stacked credit cards, yet still boasts an incredible surface pressure, making it 230% less likely to crack. With a great image that's worth boasting about. While size and weight are major considerations, battery operation is so efficient that you can operate it for up to 7.5 hours - nearly thrice the battery operating time of ordinary notebooks.
The core behind this is the Intel Core Solo processor Ultra Low Voltage U1400 packing 1.2GHz speed and power with extremely low power consumption. That makes the VAIO(R) VGN-TXN15P a powerhouse for your mobile needs. The Intel Core Solo processor delivers enhanced performance for today's demanding applications such as CAD tools, 3D and 2D modeling, video editing, digital music, digital photography and gaming.
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 128MB dynamically allocated shared RAM video memory Sony's original SmartWi technology seamlessly integrates wireless Wide Area Network (WAN), 802.11 b/g wireless LAN, and Bluetooth technologies. Now you can quickly and easily toggle among your wireless connectivity options - wireless LAN for home, office, and hotspots; Bluetooth for peripherals; and wireless WAN Unit Dimensions - Size (W x H x D) - 10.7 x 0.83 - 1.12 x 7.7 ; Approximate Weight - 2.76 lbs
Take a load off your shoulders when you're racing for your plane with the sleekly designed and ultra-portable Sony Vaio VGN-TXN15P/B notebook PC, which weighs just an amazing 2.84 pounds and offers a sleek, durable carbon-fiber case in black and silver. And with 5 to 11 hours of standard battery life, it has the stamina to power you through your most demanding applications. With the integrated wireless WAN, you can access the national Sprint Mobile Broadband service to extend your wireless coverage beyond LAN access networks and hotspots, giving you the freedom to go farther, do more, and stay connected. It also nicely balances form with function, thanks to the stylish, slim, and durable carbon-fiber casing and razor-thin 11.1-inch widescreen LCD panel (with XBRITE technology and a white LED backlight for brilliant colors and added clarity).
Sony takes security serious, and this laptop employs a biometric fingerprint sensor to ensure your data is protected from unauthorized use. Fingerprint biometrics is a convenient and secure way to protect your computer and the information on it with a simple swipe of your finger. It also stores passwords to secure web sites you visit, so authentication and access are quick and easy--you only need your fingerprint.
It's powered by Intel's 1.2 GHz Core Solo processor with ultra-low voltage for extended battery life. Other features include a shock-resistant 80 GB hard drive, 1 GB of installed RAM (1.5 GB maximum), Bluetooth wireless capability (for connecting to peripherals such as PDAs, cell phones, and printers), a multi-format memory card reader, and Microsoft Windows XP Professional edition operating system. This is a Windows Vista capable PC, and it's also Windows Vista Premium ready.
Screen, Graphics and Sound
- Hard Drive: The 80 GB hard drive (4200 RPM) is average in size for notebook PCs--but a bit larger than you'll find in comparable ultra-light notebooks. It offers more than enough capacity for storing documents and productivity software for road warriors. You'll also be able to store a good-sized digital audio library.
The G-Sensor Shock Protection feature makes your data even less vulnerable to loss or damage. When the built-in 3-D acceleration sensor detects a risky movement like being dropped, the HDD-head will lock up to secure its position and protect the disc from scratching. An intelligent algorithm, unique to VAIO PCs, judges whether or not a movement is risky, activating disk drive protection only when your hardware is at risk.
- Processor: The Ultra Low Voltage Intel Core Solo U1400 processor offers a 1.2 GHz speed paired with a fast 533 MHz front-side bus and large 2 MB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.) The Core Solo processor delivers enhanced performance for today's demanding applications such as CAD tools, 3-D and 2-D modeling, video editing, digital music, digital photography and gaming. And Intel's Smart Cache technology enables smarter, more efficient cache and bus design for enhanced performance, responsiveness and power savings.
- Memory: This laptop has two memory slots and comes loaded with 1 GB of DDR SDRAM (PC4200, 533 MHz DDR RAM; 2 x 512 MB), and it can be expanded to a maximum of 1.5 GB.
- CD/DVD Drive: The double-layer DVD drive is compatible with a wide range of formats, including both DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs, CD-RW discs, and dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can hold up to 8.5 GB of data--great for backing up your MP3 collection or your most important documents. It features the following speeds: 2.4x for DVD+R DL, 4x for both single layer DVD+R/-R, 2.4x for single layer DVD+RW, 2x for single layer DVD-RW, and 24x/10x for CD-R/RW. It reads DVD-ROM discs at 8x and CD-ROMs at 24x.
- Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a standard 82-key keyboard (1.7mm stroke and 17mm pitch) and electro-static two-button touchpad as well as a wireless LAN on/off button. It also offers DVD/CD instant-on controls for play/pause/stop/volume/mute as well as a wireless network on/off button.
The 11.1-inch XBRITE LCD has a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels--perfect for watching movies in their intended 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. Sony's Smart Display Sensor feature instantly adjusts resolution when you connect to a display or projector. Video is powered by the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, which uses Intel Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) and provides up to 128 MB of shared video memory. It also has an integrated audio card with Microsoft Windows sound system compatibility.
Connectivity and Expansion Slots
This notebook features Sony's SmartWi technology, which seamlessly integrates wireless Wide Area Network (WAN), 802.11b/g wireless LAN and Bluetooth technologies, enabling you to toggle among your wireless connectivity options depending on your surroundings. With the Bluetooth connectivity, you can communicate and synchronize with Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as PDAs and cell phones. You get a good offering of connectivity options, including both USB 2.0 and iLink (FireWire):
- 2 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
- 1 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) port for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals
- 1 VGA monitor port
- 1 PCMCIA (or PC Card) slot (Type I/II, 32-bit)
- 1 headphone jack
- 1 microphone jack
- Port replicator connector
- Memory card slot, compatible with Memory Stick and Memory Stick DUO media with MagicGate functionality and Secure Digital Media (SD)
It also has an integrated 56K modem (V.90) and an RJ-45 LAN network port (for a 10/100 Ethernet connection to networks and DSL/cable modems). The optional Port Replicator unit also includes 3 additional USB 2.0, VGA, RJ-45, and parallel ports.
Wireless Wide Area Network (WWAN)
If you're the ultimate road warrior, you need to access the Internet and check e-mail without having to plug in your Sony Vaio notebook PC, and without cables to boot. Welcome to the world of WWANs (wireless wide area networks). With a WWAN, you can access critical network resources and home office files from the front seat of your car, the airport, the local coffee shop, or your recliner at home. This Sony TXN PC works with the Sprint Power Vision Network for wireless, broadband-speed connectivity.
The Sprint wireless broadband network covers more than 157 million people in 216 major metropolitan areas, as well as 486 airports across the nation. Later this year, Sprint expects to upgrade its network in select markets with EV-DO Revision A (Rev. A) technology so customers can experience broadband upload speeds as well. In 2007, Sprint will continue its aggressive rollout of faster EV-DO Rev. A technology. With this advanced technology, VAIO TX notebook users should expect to benefit from average download speeds of 450 to 800 kbps and upload speeds of 300 to 400 kbps in the markets where EV-DO Rev. A network improvements will be rolled out.
Preloaded System and Software
This system comes with the Windows XP Professional Edition (which adds Microsoft's IIS Web server, back-up and recovery utilities, Remote Desktop, and other enhanced business features) with Service Pack 2 featuring Advanced Security Technologies, which helps to reduce unwanted downloads and pop-ups while surfing the Web. It also comes loaded with a bevy of Sony multimedia software: Click to DVD (DVD creation) and DVgate Plus (digital video). Other pre-loaded software includes Microsoft Works 8.5 (with word processing, spreadsheet, and calendar), Norton Internet Security (with 60-day subscription), and TrendMicro Anti-Spyware (30-day trial).
Dimensions and Weight
Amazingly small and light, this Sony TXN laptop weighs 2.84 pounds with standard battery and measures 10.7 x 1.23 x 7.7 inches (WxHxD).
It's powered by the VGP-BPS5A lithium-ion rechargeable battery, which produces a battery life of between 5 and 11 hours.
What's in the Box
This package contains the VGN-TXN15P/B notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, and operating instructions. (Sprint SIM card available separately.) It is backed by a one-year limited hardware warranty, and Sony offers 1-year of toll-free telephone technical assistance.