It also nicely balances form with function, thanks to the stylish, slim, and durable carbon-fiber casing and razor-thin 11.1-inch widescreen LCD panel (with XBRITE technology and a white LED backlight for brilliant colors and added clarity). It's powered by Intel's 1.33 GHz Core Solo U1500 processor with ultra-low voltage for extended battery life. Other features include a shock-resistant 100 GB hard drive, 2 GB of installed RAM (maximum capacity), Bluetooth wireless capability (for connecting to peripherals such as PDAs, cell phones, and printers), and a Memory Stick PRO reader.
Sony takes security serious, and this laptop employs a biometric fingerprint sensor to ensure your data is protected from unauthorized use. Fingerprint biometrics is a convenient and secure way to protect your computer and the information on it with a simple swipe of your finger. It also stores passwords to secure web sites you visit, so authentication and access are quick and easy--you only need your fingerprint.
The preinstalled Microsoft Windows Vista Business features a new user interface, named Windows Aero, that makes it easy to navigate through the operating system and from application to application. For instance, Windows Aero helps you juggle multiple tasks at once by providing a three-dimensional, real-time, animated view of all your open applications and documents. Vista also integrates new search tools throughout the operating system, includes new parental control features, and offers new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures.
- Processor: The Ultra Low Voltage Intel Core Solo U1500 processor offers a 1.33 GHz speed paired with a fast 533 MHz front-side bus and large 2 MB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.) The Core Solo processor delivers enhanced performance for today's demanding applications such as CAD tools, 3-D and 2-D modeling, video editing, digital music, digital photography and gaming. And Intel's Smart Cache technology enables smarter, more efficient cache and bus design for enhanced performance, responsiveness and power savings.
- Hard Drive: The 100 GB hard drive (4200 RPM) is above average in size for notebook PCs--but larger than you'll find in comparable ultra-light notebooks. It offers more than enough capacity for storing documents and productivity software for road warriors. You'll also be able to store a good-sized digital audio library.
The G-Sensor Shock Protection feature makes your data even less vulnerable to loss or damage. When the built-in 3-D acceleration sensor detects a risky movement like being dropped, the HDD-head will lock up to secure its position and protect the disc from scratching. An intelligent algorithm, unique to VAIO PCs, judges whether or not a movement is risky, activating disk drive protection only when your hardware is at risk.
- Memory: This laptop has two memory slots and comes loaded with 2 GB of DDR SDRAM (PC4200, 533 MHz DDR RAM; 2 x 1 GB), and it maximizes the RAM capacity for this laptop.
- DVD/CD Drive: The double-layer DVD drive is compatible with a wide range of formats, including both DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs, CD-RW discs, and dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can hold up to 8.5 GB of data--great for backing up your MP3 collection or your most important documents. It features the following speeds: 4x for DVD+R DL, 4x for DVD-R DL, 8x for both single layer DVD+R/-R, 8x for single layer DVD+RW, 6x for single layer DVD-RW, and 24x/16x for CD-R/RW. It reads DVD-ROM discs at 8x and CD-ROMs at 24x.
- Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a standard 82-key keyboard (1.7mm stroke and 17mm pitch) and electro-static two-button touchpad.
The 11.1-inch XBRITE LCD has a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels--perfect for watching movies in their intended 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. Sony's Smart Display Sensor feature instantly adjusts resolution when you connect to a display or projector. Video is powered by the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, which uses Intel Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) and provides up to 224 MB of total graphics memory from the system memory. Audio is powered by Sony's Sound Reality audio enhancer.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
This notebook features Sony's SmartWi technology, which seamlessly integrates wireless Wide Area Network (WAN), office/home Wi-Fi LAN, and Bluetooth technologies, enabling you to toggle among your wireless connectivity options depending on your surroundings. The integrated PRO/Wireless 3915ABG wireless LAN is compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found in home routers and wi-fi hotspots) as well as 802.11a networks (which has a higher throughput, but more limited range--great for closed office environments). With the integrated Wireless Wide Area Network (WAN) technology, you can extend your 2ireless coverage beyond LAN access networks and hotspots using the Sprint Mobile Broadband service (subscription required).
A WWAN uses long-range wireless connections -- the same networks as cellular phones -- to provide access across a large geographic area. In comparison, a WLAN (wireless LAN) covers only one or more buildings located close together. On a WWAN, you connect to your carrier's data network (Sprint, for this laptop) instead of plugging into a phone jack and dialing into your ISP. Each mobile device communicates with the public carrier's base station, providing coverage across entire states, regions, and countries via cell phone towers.
With the Bluetooth connectivity, you can communicate and synchronize with Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as PDAs and cell phones. Here's the full list of connection options:
- 2 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
- 1 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) port for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals
- 1 ExpressCard/34 slot
- 1 VGA monitor out
- Stereo headphones/speakers/line-out
- Memory Stick slot (with MagicGate functionality)
- Secure Digital memory card slot (also compatible with MMC cards)
The Windows Vista Business operating system is designed to meet the needs of business organizations of all sizes. For small businesses, Windows Vista Business will help keep PCs running smoothly and more securely so you will be less reliant on dedicated IT support. For larger organizations, Windows Vista Business provides dramatic new infrastructure improvements, enabling your IT staff to spend less time focused on the day-to-day maintenance of PCs. An array of sophisticated new backup technologies helps protect your information even in the event of a catastrophic hardware failure. And Windows Vista Business has a new user interface, named Windows Aero, which is designed to deliver new levels of efficiency for any business user. This new interface makes it easy to navigate through the operating system and from application to application. For instance, Windows Aero helps you juggle multiple tasks at once by providing a three-dimensional, real-time, animated view of all your open applications and documents.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
Includes Sony Click to DVD (for easy DVD creation), Microsoft Works, Microsoft Office 2007 Student and Teacher Edition (60-day trial), Symantec Norton Internet Security 2007 (with 60 days of Live Update).
Dimensions & Weight
Amazingly small and light, this Sony TXN laptop weighs 2.84 pounds with standard battery and measures 10.7 x 1.23 x 7.7 inches (WxHxD).
It's powered by the VGP-BPS5A lithium-ion rechargeable battery, which produces a battery life of between 4 and 10 hours.
What's in the Box
This package contains the VGN-TXN27N/T notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, and operating instructions. (Sprint SIM card available separately.) It is backed by a one-year limited hardware warranty, and Sony offers 1-year of toll-free telephone technical assistance.