Published on February 28, 2011 by S. Dancer

3.0 out of 5 stars I grade it a B- for the money
Published on May 5, 2011 by bayzing

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars SLAM DUNK!!! This is THE Laptop for gamers and Graphic Designers..., February 28, 2011
This review is from: Sony VAIO VPC-F13YFX/B 16.4-Inch Widescreen Entertainment Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Read the product description very carefully, and if it seems to have what you think you are looking for in graphic card, memory, WS/HD display, hard drive, lightning fast I7-740QM processor and all the other bells and whistles, then this is what you are looking for! We have had this only about 6 days now and have loaded it with designing software, CS5, Norton, almost 10k photos and family videos, and it is kicking at Secretariat speed. My wife wanted a new laptop for graphic desigining, and I did comprehensive research for almost a week before deciding that the Sony VAIO VPC-F13YFX/B was the way to go. This decision was somewhat jumping into new territory a bit because there were literally no customer reviews available on the internet being this is a new Sony model. By comparing older models, and the upgraded equipment in this one, I felt we couldn't go wrong. So far, I am happy with that decision!

This laptop plays movies as well as any HD TV, and with the HDMI out port, you can hook it up to your LED TV for high quality HDTV for the gameroom. (The blu-ray player is an upgrade option if you desire). The sound coming from the speakers is impressive, and playing music through them is pleasant listening to. The 3.0 ports, bluetooth, webcam, WIFI ready and the awesome graphic card means nothing is left out. Now if I can only convince her to get one for myself!!!

With the 1 year warranty and 1 year in home service, Sony is standing by it's product and that comforts me a little when paying this much for an unreviewed product.

One month update- This laptop is extremely efficient, and as I said before, FAST! We have upgraded to a new "N" router and utilizing a cable modem, it connects up to 300 MBPS! Working on her Masters, my wife uses this for school every day with a live camera system for credibility. We have experienced zero drop offs from the web, and are very pleased with this products overall "Live" internet performance. LOVE the big 16.4" HD/WS Display! The keyboard is solid and VERY well built, unlike most laptop keyboards which are plastic keys and click when you type.

The only glitch we have come across is that there is "Google Chrome" Web Browser software pre-installed on the computer, which we are unfamiliar with (We use I.E.). We decided to delete it, and that was a mistake! It affected multiple programs, so we re-installed it and leave it in hiding. One program that it affects is Microsoft Outlook email (Hyperlinks do not work for some reason, a very well known and discussed problem on the internet) which my wife prefers over Windows Live Mail because it will Sync her phone with her calendar, contacts etc. via Bluetooth. Outlook is an additional program we have added along with the entire Microsoft Office Suite. You can use Windows Live Mail which is pre-installed if you like it better, it just doesn't SYNC with our phones.

Overall, a fantastic purchase and wonderful product! This computer fits the cliche' "Spend a little more and get a little more", only you get a LOT more. This is our first Sony VAIO, and will NOT be our last!!!!

3/13/2012 One Year + Update- Still going strong and works as well as it did when we purchased it a year ago. My wife has clobbered it with photos, movies, and design software, and it is still lightning fast! WIFI is impressive and streaming NETFLIX movies is a blast on the go!!!

11/14/2012 UPDATE: Sadly, we had to replace this unit for my wife this week. Not because it failed, or shorted out, or was dropped. Simply because it is a bit heavy for her to continue to carry to the college campus, and does not fit into her bag she uses for school (no, she doesn't want a new larger bag). It IS heavier than most laptops, mostly because of the large display. SO, we purchased a new Sony VAIO "E" Series with a 14" display, and much lighter unit, and she is estatic! As for me, well, I now have a new Sony VAIO with a 16.4" display to replace my 5 yr old Acer Aspire 5532 that my 10 yr old daughter will now inherit. Win win for everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, April 20, 2011
Sony Vaio has created a name for itself and it lives up to that name with great computing power and useability. Also if you ever have software problems dont be afriad to call Sony Customer Support it took me less than a half hour to resolve my issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, March 14, 2011
I receieved this lap-top today and it is nice. I almost purchased the Asus with the same internals at Best Buy but the keys were sticky and hard to push, as I do a lot of photoshop, I passed. This computer is very nice, tough, fast after loading, CS5, Lightroom, NERO, Office, Canon, and a few other programs on here and it still runs just as fast as w/o. Nice speakers, no Bose, but equal or better to anything on the Best Buy showroom floor. The backlit keyboard was not even a buying decision for me, but as I type this in the dark, I must say it is really nice!

Nices laptop I have seen in 4-5 months of research.

3.0 out of 5 stars I grade it a B- for the money, May 5, 2011
Purchased the 16" Sony VAIO VPC-F13YFX/B from Amazon on April 15th. My decision was largely based on the extremely positive reviews I saw posted online. Here's the bottom line: This computer is good... maybe a step above good... but it's not five star material... and I'm confident you can get comparable computer with the same benchmarks from Toshiba, HP, or Acer, and save a little bit of money (maybe $100-$150 or so). Don't get my wrong... it's a decent machine... but here are my complaints:

1- FINISH---- this is something I never even thought of when making the purchase... but it bothers me a lot with this computer. The outer of shell this of this computer is constructed with a gray plastic that is somewhat porous. This computer gets dirty fast... I'm talking especially about the top lid... it seems every time I touch it... my hands and fingers leave prints.
2- BATTERY---- Very mediocre battery life... 2 hours is about max. I'm usually plugged in, so it's not a huge gripe... but don't expect this computer to entertain you on a long flight.
3- NO TOUCHPAD TURN-OFF ---- It would have been really easy for Sony to incorporate a small touch pad turn-off button... they didn't... and occasionally when your writing a document your palm with move the cursor and throw you off. Stupid thing... but Sony missed it on this one.
4- LOUD FAN---- If you're alone in a quiet room and the fan kicks on... you'll notice it's surprisingly loud... better turn on Pandora!
5- SCREEN---- Not the greatest... viewing angle is very limited compared to other laptops I've seen.
6- SPEED---- With the i7 processor, and 6GB of RAM, I thought this thing would blow me away with its quickness... that hasn't been the case. I think I probably would have done just as well saving a little money and going with the i5.

5.0 out of 5 stars my laptop verey Excellent, May 5, 2011
I bought this device from : Elcrtonic Express
It was shipped to Saudi Arabia
Was excellent and his handling of amounts not asking for tax and shipping procedure
Features
Automatic keyboard lights during darkness
Price is very reasonable
Assembly only in China and cutting the battery and the other in Japan
Processor i7
Screen high-definition HD
The external structure is very strong not like most modern laptops
Disadvantages:
Voice of the fan high and this defect in all the Sony laptops

I did not expect to use these features Day of the

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, February 21, 2011
This laptop is amazing. It can keep up with me and that is saying something. If you are a severe multi-tasker that simply can't wait on a piece of machinery to get the job done then I would highly recommend this computer. Also, in person it is absolutely an elegant and beautiful laptop. I seriously have found nothing about this computer that I wish were better. I have had this product for a week now and use it about 12hrs a day for school and work.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY LOW in Quality and HIGH in FAN NOISE, September 2, 2011
Length:: 1:10 Mins

The brand new sony I purchased had a defect with the screen out of the box as shown in the video. They fixed it and now the trackpad does not work properly.

Cons:

1. Screen which you can really see from on angle only and that is 90 degrees.
2. Blu-ray cheap quality panasonic used.
3. Cheap memory which burned out in one year; one day after warranty ended.
4. A fan borrowed from Jet engine.
5. Backlit from the keyboard leaks from the corners and comes on your face.
6. Super heavy.
7. The worst problem Sony refused to take it back within 30 days of purchase.

I would not buy VAIO with this kind of equipment and customer support.
I would give this product zero stars if there was an option.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good all-around performer, August 15, 2011
M. Eckelberry (clearwater, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This is my second F-series from Sony, and they are growing on me.

This is a good all-around laptop with a strong feeling of quality. It's a bit overpriced for the market, but I am pleased with my purchase.

To the complaints I've seen:

- Fan noise. Yes, this is an issue, as the fan can be rather active. However, if you thoroughly de-crapify the PC, uninstalling as much Sony software as you possibly can, you will very likely find that the fan noise issue goes down. I also took Norton off the machine and put on VIPRE (but note that I am biased due to my relationship with the maker of VIPRE). After a heavy de-crapifying session, getting all the Windows updates in and rebooting several times, it's much, much better. I will say that I have a similar Sony at work and wiped the machine clean, installing Win 7 Pro and I don't notice fan noise. However, this is just supposition as I have not done any real analysis.

- Inadvertent pointer movements while typing. What happens here is that your palm lightly touches the touchpad while typing, and the pointer scoots to another location. This is very easily resolved by going into the Tapping tab on the Mouse settings, and choosing "Invalidates tapping in the corner" and "Tap off when typing", and moving the duration to "Long".

PROS
- High quality construction
- GREAT keyboard. Really, really great.
- Decent range of features
- Nice big screen with 1600x1900 resolution

CONS
- Seems a bit pricey but not by too much.
- No volume control on the keyboard (I had this on my Thinkpad and really liked it)
- Should come with more memory for the price. For the money, I would expect 8GBs of RAM, not 6GB.

All in all, I think this is a great laptop and would recommend it. If you're looking for something similar but for a cheaper price, you might take a look at the Lenovo G770. I have not used that laptop but the specs look good (although I could only find an i5) and cheaper with a larger screen.

1.0 out of 5 stars 4 months in service for the 1° trouble., July 27, 2011
The computer was purchased in March this year and after 4 months working a message pop up saying that the Hard Disk need to be checked and the computer had difficult to start. After that the computer didn't work properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a very good laptop., July 14, 2011
This was a very good laptop. i am a Hp person myself and was looking to get the D7 but found out that many people were having issues with it. my favorite thing about this laptop is how easily it can link to the Ps3. i was looking at some of the one star reviews and one lady was complaining that her daughter had fried the motherboard after only owning it for a few months. i think the issue was that the daughter might have been blocking the cooling vents by placing it on top of a blanket, this laptop does produce some heat but nothing that i think would cause it to fail. Overall i am very happy with this laptop and enjoy using it for school and watching media in HD.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›