4.0 out of 5 stars It's big and it's beautiful, but it
buzzes.

Published on January 13, 2010 by FrankyS

1.0 out of 5 stars UNTIL THIS VAIO I THOUTHT THEY WERE
THIS MACHINE WAS A DISASTER. BLUE SCREEN FOR MONTHIS, THEY HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB BUT AFTER THAT BOY DO THEY OWE ME.
KARL TATE
Published on November 19, 2010 by Karl Joseph Tate

4.0 out of 5 stars It's big and it's beautiful, but it, January 13, 2010
FrankyS (University Heights, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony VAIO VPC-L113FX/B 24-Inch Black All-in-One Desktop PC (Windows 7 Home Premium) (Personal Computers)
buzzes.

I saw this computer in a SonyStyle store in Michigan and instantly fell in love with it, so I had to buy it. It's really a beautiful computer, much more so than the HP touchscreen. For starters, its encased in non-shiny plastic which I think gives it a more professional look than the HP. The screen is bright and vibrant and the touch screen functions work great, except for touching the outermost corners of the screen, which I can't get used to, and always have to use my mouse (like to close a web browser, for example).

You can adjust the viewing angle of the screen, but there is no way to stand the computer up totally vertically, so if you like your computer monitor at no angle, you won't be able to do that with this computer. This isn't too much of a problem, as you don't lose any viewing clarity by not having it totally straight.

The keyboard is very nice and has a nice weight to it, but the mouse looks and feels very cheap. I don't use it, and just use my old logitech wireless mouse.

I find the computer to be very fast for what I use it for: just surfing the web, using Microsoft Word, listening to music, and viewing videos on youtube. The screen is HD, and you can really tell the difference when you click the "HD" button on youtube. The videos look amazing. There is no lag whatsoever in doing any of the stuff I mentioned. It's really very fast.

I should note that this computer DOES NOT come with an HDMI input, nor an RCA input. It does have the TV tuner, and you can plug your cable line into it, but cannot use it to play Xbox or PS3, for example, as there is no HDMI. This unit also does NOT have the blu-ray player built in. This is the model with the TV tuner instead.

My only gripe with the computer is that it buzzes. It makes a constant noise that never stops unless the computer is either turned off (of course) or hibernating. It basically sounds like a desktop, which I suppose it is. If you're looking for a totally silent computer, this isn't it. The noise isn't the fan, because you can hear the fan kick in when it needs to, and it just sounds like a normal computer fan. I should note also that you can't eliminate this noise by turning off the touch screen functionality. It's just there.

So to sum up
The Good
1. The computer is beautiful, and big.
2. The screen is so vibrant, it's the best looking screen I've ever seen on a computer (seriously).
3. The keyboard is excellent.
4. The touch functions are accurate, and the games/software that uses it is amusing.
5. The computer is fast for every day use, but don't expect to play Crysis on it.

The Bad
1. The computer is noisy. It buzzes.
2. The mouse is really cheap (I don't understand why they would couple a nasty mouse with a really nice keyboard).
3. Can't make the screen go completely vertical. It will have to sit on an angle, but you can adjust that angle quite a bit.

I love the computer, it stuns anyone that sees it, and it's almost comically big on a desk. The screen is excellent, and it's fast. Too bad it's not silent, too. Hope this helps!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, January 22, 2010
Naomi "Naomi" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I love my VAIO. It doesn't make any buzzing noises for me (it's actually completely silent so I can't help but wonder if there's something wrong with the previous reviewer's model...) and it's unbelievably fast, reliable and stunning. But for the price I would have purchased another one for my business partner. I almost did.

This thing is FAST. I used to hate Outlook and searching for files on my computer, but now it's kind of ridiculous. I can start entering a search word and I instantly see a list of emails, Outlook contacts, Word documents, etc. with the word in question highlighted in yellow.

Have I mentioned that it's also really pretty? Watching Hulu in HD on this baby makes me never want to look at my regular television set again. Because the screen is so large it did take a bit to adjust the font I wanted for web browsing, but all is perfectly well in that department now.

The one thing I'm not too fond of is one of its features -- the touch screen. I really don't see the need for reaching across my desk to get fingerprints all over this lovely monitor. But I suppose for folks who've become addicted to their iPhones it's probably a fun feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars First computer I really love, January 23, 2010
I got my first computer in 1991, and countless since, but this is the first one I've really loved. They've all done the jobs that I've needed including, Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, AutoCAD, etc...but between the Vaio's style and Windows 7, it is done with more style and reliability than I have experienced before. In addition to that, it's HDTV receiver and wireless functions allowed me to get rid of the clunker TV in my bedroom and use this instead. Throw in Netflix instant watch, and this PC has become entertainment central at night while still being a great business machine during the day.

The touchscreen still feels more novelty to me than anything. I love the features, but things like typing result in an awkward hand position on a vertical screen. However this has me foaming at the mouth for the coming days when I can free myself of the mouse and get a drafting table back in the form of a multitouch desk and stylus.

Thank you Sony and Microsoft for making technology cool again.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, but there's a problem, August 20, 2010
A Kid's Review
My dad ordered this for me online and i LOVED it. But, it came to a problem when i tried to download this game called maplestory. I downloaded it and it worked great. But, the next day when i tried to play it didnt work at ALL. I got very very mad and when i tried to delete it it didnt work its all lagging there. Now i wish i got my old computer back cause i cant download it ;(

1.0 out of 5 stars UNTIL THIS VAIO I THOUTHT THEY WERE, November 19, 2010