Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony DSCW800/B 20.1 MP Digital Camera (Black)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 28, 2014
I am an amateur photographer and own three DSLR cameras with a selection of lenses. However that collection does not eliminate the need for a handy item for just daily needs. I keep this one especially in my car's glove box as a reserve for occasions which require something better than my cell phone camera. For that purpose it meets my expectations and even exceeds it. Yet, this is still a snap shot device with a relatively low price tag and therefore a DSLR level quality (like background blurring, high shutter speed, high level of low light performance etc.)should not be expected.

Pros:

-Lightweight slim and stylish design: It can fit in small spaces and look and feel like a high quality item.

-USB charging ability: That is one of the selling points for me. I keep it in my car and I don't want to run out of power any time or go through the hassle of removing the battery and charging it separately ,which requires carrying the charging adapter all the time and also the ability to plug in that adapter. Instead. all I do is to connect it to my 12V car USB charger and it pretty quickly accumulates good amount of charge level... It comes with a wall adapter (5V 0.5A) which connects to a detachable USB cable (so you can use the cable and attach it to any USB charger). But be careful about the USB cable. The standard USB-micro B cable that charges most mobile devices do not work for this type. If you need a replacement or an extra you need to buy a USB-UC E6 cable.

-Easy menu mode: Practicality should be the main focus in a snapshot device and even my grandfather could get through this menu. One of the most user-friendly interfaces I have seen so far.

-Panoramic shoot ability: That was a surprise for me. I had not read the product description in detail before buying and that was such a handy function. I used to take panoramic photos by taking tens of photos with my DSLR and stiching them with a software which was both difficult and time consuming. This function does it instantly and produces comparable quality photos.

-5X optical zoom: When it comes to zooming, in photographic terms, the less is often more. The best lenses even come with no zoom at all. However for a practical item like this, zoom is essential and 5X is a good range for the optical zoom (it is also critical that you compare the optical zoom capacities of devices and not the digital zoom before making a judgement.)

-Image quality: As I said above, it does not match the quality of a DSLR and I don't care about the high pixel size either. For cameras with small sensor sizes like snapshots, it is actually better to get a low MP device for sharper images, but this one not bad at all especially in daylight. HD Video quality is also good but again depends on the light...

-Price: the $78 price tag as of august 2014 makes it one of the most affordable snapshot cameras in the market. You can get better deals from time to time but this is quite appealing too.

Cons:

-Low light performance: Again, I want to stress that I am not expecting professional quality from this device, but I found the low light performance moderate at best. The noise was somewhat irritating even with flash.

-Slow shutter speed: It has a continuous shooting mode which is supposed to take multiple frames in a short time as long as the shutter button is depressed. However this device has a long long refractory period between shoots that it is not even worth bothering with that mode. You need to decrease the image quality 3 steps to be able to notice some multiple shooting effect and that is not worth it. So if you wish to take a photo of a flying bird or a running person or a passing by car, you don't have much choice to take multiple photos and decide later.

-Zoom buttons: I like the zoom to be a ring style beneath the shutter button but this is like a plus and minus at the back which is not very convenient.

-No optical viewfinder: This is not a problem for this model only. Most recent cameras sacrifice from an optical viewfinder and all you get is a digital image on the screen to help you adjust your photo before taking it. First of all it does not give the sense of taking a photo but more importantly digital screen viewfinder drains battery and also performs bad in bright light.

-Video focusing sound: While recording video of a closely located object (where there is a constant need to re-adjust autofocusing) and if the surrounding is silent, you can hear the sound of focus adjustments in your recording. But as I said that is only obvious in full silence and for short distance recordings.

Overall you like it or not depends on your expectations. For me it is a handy and adequately performing device with quite useful features. I am happy with this purchase
77 comments|530 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2014
I wasn't expecting much from this, I only wanted a camera that was a) cheap and b) would provide a better quality image than the average smart phone camera. But the image quality is truly amazing. I will upload a few customer images of my hiking trip as an example. An SD card is absolutely necessary, the internal storage can only hold 3 maximum quality images.

I did have one problem with the camera, the battery that came with it refused to take a charge. Amazon made up for this by offering me a 40% refund to buy a new battery, and the battery was much cheaper than the $31 refund I got so this issue wasn't even reason enough to take a star off. Overall great camera and great customer service from Amazon.

I've only owned this for a month and only used it for 2 days for a hiking trip so I can't speak on long term survival of this camera. I will update my review if I have any other issues. Be sure to check for my customer images if you want an idea of the maximum image quality.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
66 comments|650 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2014
This my second Sony Digital Camera. The first was a 14.1 MP and I can say less than $80 for this 20.1 MP, you can't find it anywhere else! It functions very well. It can take pictures even in the darkest place. I would recommend it to anyone who needs a good camera for a good price!
1010 comments|317 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2015
I love it. i takes beautiful pictures. The only wish I would have for it is 8.0 or higher optical zoom, and even that is ok. Attached below is a pic i snapped of the recent snow.....I LOVE THE DETAIL!!!!
review image
on May 28, 2014
This camera exceeded all of my expectations. It is small, lightweight and very easy to handle with one hand.
The pictures are sharp, extremely clear. It has a built in macro lens for shooting small objects/flowers/insects.
Excellent camera.
0Comment|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2014
I'm a very occasional photographer, so this camera meets my needs very well. I find it easy to operate. This camera has a rechargeable LI-ON battery, and this is an improvement over my older camera that uses AA batteries. I like the feature that corrects for camera shake, as I had sometimes had blurry photos with my older camera and this is much improved with the Sony. Obviously, if you're a serious photographer, this is not the camera for you, but for me, it's great. I like to buy a less expensive camera in case I drop it in a lake or off a bridge by accident, and this seems fine for the price.
0Comment|203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2014
I ordered this camera with high hopes after seeing it was the #1 selling camera on Amazon at the time of purchase, and after reading many 4-star and 5-star reviews. The camera I received was clearly the same product shown online, but I feel like I am reviewing an entirely different product than the one I expected to receive.

I'll start with what the camera does well: it does fit in the small hip pocket of my backpack, which was a prerequisite as this was to be my camera for long-distance backpacking trips. It does have good battery life, as I was not able to deplete the battery on a 3-day trip with probably 100+ photos taken. It does have a useful, though low-resolution panorama mode for those who don't want to make the effort to combine multiple photos using image processing software. Beyond those few features, I found the camera to be relatively lackluster and uninspiring.

My beef with this camera started the very first time I turned it on. I was greeted by a persistent and distracting screen flicker that I have not seen in any other camera. I am surprised others have not mentioned this, though perhaps I received a defective unit. I know it wasn't just my eyes, I showed it to my wife and she agreed it was flickering. After several hours of use, the flickering seemed to mostly go away, but not entirely. Beyond the flickering, I felt the camera simply took poor photos compared to other cameras I have had, even those with 1/4 to 1/2 the resolution of this one. Pictures were prone to blurring, I would say this has the least effective optical image stabilization of any point-and-shoot I've owned. Also I found the camera to be very prone to silhouetting and washout in outdoor use, and again this is not simply operator error, I am comparing to other similarly-priced cameras I have owned over the years (including various Casio Exilim and Fujifilm FinePix models). The camera claims to shoot 20-megapixel photos, and I'd believe it by the file size, however none of the 100+ photos had the crisp look when zoomed in to 100% that I expect for a printable photo any larger than 5" x 7". I found the menu to be clunky, and many basic features like shutter and aperture settings, manual focus (or at least a user-selected Macro mode) were either lacking entirely or buried in some menu that I couldn't find when I needed it. Again I only used it for 3 days, so perhaps these features were overlooked, but at the least I can say that finding them was unintuitive for me.

I know it's a lot to ask from an entry-level camera, but even for basic use I am not comfortable with a camera that seems to miss 2 out of every 3 shots. For my money, I think I can do better, so I returned this one. I will be trying a FujiFilm FinePix T550 next, which sells for the same price but has a 12x zoom, and (I expect) better image stabilization. I would advise anyone who intends to use this outdoors, or who doesn't have rock-steady hands when shooting without a tripod, to look elsewhere. I suppose this camera works well for some, but I can't offer any more than a tepid recommendation that it does work
1010 comments|298 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2015
Perfect small camera. We bought this for our honeymoon and it worked out so well. It was no bigger than our cellphones, so it was super easy to carry it around. The picture quality is good and the video quality is good, too. Audio is decent; we had no problem hearing our voices over crashing ocean waves. The panorama option is so much fun to play with, and it produces great results.

Nothing bad to say here. It was perfect for our needs, and was at a great price point too.
review image review image review image review image review image
on August 17, 2014
Easily fits in your shirt pocket. My earlier camera was also Sony, a P200 which was bulkier and heavier. This one is much smarter looking and has a much larger screen and bigger memory capacity for such a small camera. Both take good pics but in low light you want to use the flash to get clear pics. Setting everything on auto including flash is the best option. Easy point and shoot clear pics. But if you are moving around, setting it to 'SteadyShot' may help. A coupla things different from my old camera: the battery remaining time does not show the number of minutes left in each mode. And even when you set the date to 'English' month, it displays the English month only on the screen (i.e., AUG for August) but not on the actual picture's date stamp. This shouldn't be a problem if you don't send pictures to people in other countries where the date format is Day/Month/Year. So if it reads '08 04 2014' they might think it's April 8 instead of August 4. Also, there is no volume adjustment while playing back a movie on the camera. In fact, you won't hear anything at all, regardless of what level you set the volume (the highest level is 4 in Settings). To hear the sound, you plug it into a computer and play the movie.
on August 4, 2014
I'm far from a professional photographer, but I've probably taken a few more pictures than the average point and shoot user, including a few photos for special events that were framed and displayed. Having said that, I am extremely disappointed with this camera. The last camera I bought was in 2004 and it was far superior to this one. To be fair, it takes decent shots close up, but the zoom is practically useless. Every shot I took while zoomed came out blurry no matter what shooting mode I tried. So when it comes down to it, why spend $80 on this camera when I can take better shots with my cell phone? I purchased this to make up for the lack of optical zoom on my smartphone and it disappointed in every way.

The menus on this thing are all over the place, and they look severely dated. Options are hidden within multiple layers of menu options and finding what you want quickly without using the "easy mode" is puzzling at best. The tracking options are outright confusing and none of them seem to work as intended at all. The screen on the device is also super grainy and it makes the pictures look even worse than they actually are.

If I had to say one positive thing about this camera it would be that this thing is tiny and light. It fit comfortably in my pocket along with my cell phone and I definitely didn't feel burdened by carrying an extra device.
11 comment|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse