5.0 out of 5 stars Should outlast casette tapes
Very well made. Has rewind so you don't have to flip the tape & use FF. Tape goes in easy. In fact, after a few days getting familiar with it, insertion is so easy I can do it while driving w/o taking my eyes off the road.

Costs 4X the RCA, but RCA scores much lower on ease of tape insertion and scores zero on rewind. Neither it or the Coby has rewind...
Published on December 9, 2010 by E. M. Creech

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick to arrive.
I was surprised at how well the walk man works with just one battery. Once I learned how to use it the radio reception is very clear.
The time from when I ordered to when I received was very short. It is an attractive item thet comes with a carrying case that attaches to your belt so you can listen to music or the radiowhile you walk.
Amazon is very good at...
Published on December 7, 2011 by Beast

5.0 out of 5 stars Should outlast casette tapes, December 9, 2010
This review is from: Sony WM-FX290W Walkman AM/FM/Weather Radio and Cassette Player (Electronics)

The important thing for a portable cassette player is that they will soon be obsolete & the ones that are left will cost a bundle. (Try finding a new car with a cassette player -- can anyone say "8-Track?") If you want to listen to tapes untethered, better buy a good one while you can -- ESPECIALLY if you listen to BOOKS ON TAPE*. If you play tapes in a vehicle with an FM radio, get a cheap little FM modulator/transmitter.

Sure, with a litte trouble, taped audio can be converted to digital files to play on your IPOD or MP3 player or even CD, but who wants to do that with a 15-cassette book that they will only listen to once?

The radio side works fine. Since it has no moving parts, it should last a lot longer.

*Obsolete? Just the players. At this instant, Amazon lists 144,983 books and lectures on tape.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick to arrive., December 7, 2011
Amazon is very good at updating the shipping information on your purchase and they back up your purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, January 26, 2011
el cid (west coast usa) - See all my reviews
I have alot of language tapes I like to listen to and I also enjoy talk radio on am and NPR on fm. This walkman fits the bill. The sound quality is good and the tapes play easily. Also the rewind option is really handy for the tapes. I found the sound quality improved when I used higher price earphones I had; however the earphones provided were acceptable. It is a little bulkier than I would like but it fits into a pants pocket and most shirt pockets. It comes with a protective case which provides good protection (I have dropped mine a few times while walking and it had no damage due to the protective case.) It takes a little time to pre-set stations. However if you're into computers and such you probably will do ok (i'm old school baby boomer so it could be me). If you don't want to preset stations the manuel control works fine. This model also has a separate button for the government weather channel; which is helpful for incoming storm warnings etc. Overall a good buy for the money if you play casettes and listen to the radio.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kudos to Sony for staying in the game, October 1, 2011
I listen to a wide range of classical music and opera, often very long works, and prefer a cassette tape player over portable CD player because of its versatility and frankly, often superior sound quality (I use my own tapes). I-pods are inconvenient garbage with poor sound quality for my type of listening. Anyway, I am now on my second to last Panasonic player, which by the way, came with just about the best headphones ever produced at any price. Anyway, I purchased the Sony as back-up because all such products only seem to last me 1-2 years at most. Of course, the Sony headphones that come with the product are best used as a cat toy or thrown away; but with alternatve headphones, the sound quality seems almost as good as my Panasonic. The battery cover is annoying and obviously fragile. I swear, Sony portable players have always contained at least one fatal flaw which make them fail early. For years, it was extremely weak and vulnerable headphone receptacles, now it is the battery cover - planned obsolescence I suspect.

All that said, as far as I know Sony is the only company still making portable cassette tape players and I certainly hope they keep it up. I have a huge and valuable collection of tapes I hope to keep listening to for at least 20-30 years or so. Kudos to Sony.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Cassette Player, November 13, 2011
Excellent cassette player and am/fm radio. these are very difficult to obtain anymore, as are audio cassettes to play in them. I was so happy to find this that I bought two of them. Plays for extremely long battery life and only takes one AA battery!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Walkman, October 10, 2012
I purchased the Sony WM-FX290W Walkman for my husband who has a lot of cassettes. He uses this player when he works out at the gym...very impressed with the quality of sound. Good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have it at last, August 13, 2012
When I was in college back in the 70's, I was deep, deep into my music. My choice was the the cassette player. That's when I first heard of the Walkman. It was the first and the best of all the cassette players to follow.
But I was of the low income level. I couldn't afford a Walkman. So for years I settled for off brand players that possessed no quality and had a lot of defects. Brands like Colby, and that God- awful Jensen had me just tossing my money right in the trash.
I felt trapped in "cassette player hell" until Amazon offered me the one, the only, the first and best of them all....The Sony Walkman.!! I was thrilled. I jumped at it. For the first time in over 30 years I'm experiencing true high quality stereo sound from both the radio as well as the tape I popped in
Yes, this is everything I'm looking for in true stereo music. I see that Sony has discontinued making the Walkman. That's too bad. I'm planning on buying a back-up player. I suggest anyone whose still into cassette tape and not into Ipods and all that new tech stuff need to get them a Sony Walkman....while they are still available brand new. 'cause when they're gone...they are GONE!

4.0 out of 5 stars rate walkman, October 17, 2010
glad I could replace the one that was stolen from my car. Haven't tried tape player yet, but radio is fine and is in better shape than the one I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome player, June 11, 2011
What can I say. If you are a fan of Sony products, you will defineatly love this. Gave this for a gift and my boyfriend loves it. Profesionally packed, arrived in mint cond., and timely manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super sound, January 23, 2013
Pricey, but very nice sound. Great that it only uses one battery. I use it every day for my walks.

Rate and Discover Movies