5.0 out of 5 stars Simply perfect!
Published 4 months ago by Alex M. K. Wai

3.0 out of 5 stars Meets its primary goal
Published 3 months ago by Edward G. Rosner

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply perfect!, April 10, 2014
I just purchased this sony nwzw274s few days ago and arrived incredibly fast. Thanks Amazon. =) This mp3 player is pretty comfortable. The earplug fits perfectly and the sound is amazing. I did the test during shower and still working like a charm with its waterproof feature. The battery last almost 7 hours and half, recharged fully in 1 hour and 10 minutes. Perfect for gym (no wires in your pocket anymore), swimming, running, even for sleeping. 8 GB can store a lot of mp3 files. I recommend to put some songs with 160kbps/192kbps quality. Even sweating, the mp3 player plastic parts wasn't affected at all and the earplugs were still in position. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Meets its primary goal, May 22, 2014
This player meets its primary goal of staying in your ears during activity, being rugged, and eliminating the wire entanglements of a separate player and headphones. I cannot verify that it is water proof but it is well constructed and likely will work fine in the rain etc. Plenty of carefully shaped switches and buttons are placed well to easily access functions that can be selected "by feel" since the buttons are accessed without seeing them. One great feature is the voice acknowledgements given though the ear buds when certain functions are selected such as "Play", "Shuffle On", "Shuffle Off" "All Songs", "Next Folder" etc. and a pleasant little beep when it is turned on or off - as well as a green on light that briefly turns red when going off. The paper instructions are nearly worthless and I had to use trial and error to learn that "Shuffle Off" must be selected in order to cycle through the folders. But it is possible to go backward as well as forward through the folders which is a very useful feature. Hookup to the computer and loading music was flawless and typical.

I am a big fan of Sony audio equipment and was therefore willing to pay a bit more for this set. However, the sound quality is at best "good." It is a bit muffled, tends to the Treble side, and has weak bass. I suspect the problem stems from the necessity to place the speakers behind a protective membrane and further from the ear canal. A little more care with the shape and material of the sound canal might have greatly improved the performance. The sound quality is what would be expected from sound that must carry down a plastic passage way and then go through a membrane. The sound quality is also strongly affected by how deeply and well they fit in the ear. A deep fit is required to get much bass and higher volumes improve the quality - to some degree. Compared to my $35 Sansa Clip and $10 Skull ear buds this Sony comes in a distant second. If I had not purchased these with a Sony gift card I might be requesting a refund. But they do meet the primary requirement of an easy to use player that stays put without distractions. It would be interesting to compare several sets from different lots to know if there is any equalizer tweaking that occurs during production.

If I could re-engineer this player I would coat the sound canal to improve the sound clarity as well as put tremendous effort into its shape. I would also add FLAC capability and an FM tuner (the Sansa Clip has both). It would seem to be easy to add an equalizer that could be accessed when the set is connected to the computer as well as pre-setting FM stations and then use the On/Off Lock switch to access them since I see no value in the On/Off Lock switch since the On/Off button is very stiff to press and must be held down to activate. I suspect I will eventually try to attach my Sansa Clip to some "behind the head" phones and attempt to duplicate the convenience of this Sony set.

As I said above, if I had not purchased this set through the Sony site using a gift card that was useable only on their site I might consider returning it for a refund. But - it does meet the primary requirements and there is nothing else that compares to its compactness, fit, and rugged design. Audiophiles will be disappointed with the sound but hose like me who want the wire-free convenience when working around the house or exercising will find it meets most needs. I rated it three stars just so no one will be misled into thinking it has high-quality sound. So sound quality three - functionality five.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat little player!, July 18, 2014
Great little water proof MP3 player, with the usual marginal Sony software.

Pro:
- The MP3 player is built into lightweight headphones, which are easy to wear with no dangling wires.
- The whole thing is waterproof, so you can listen to music and podcasts while swimming.
- The price is fairly reasonable.
- The control buttons are easy to distinguish by touch, so it's easy to operate without looking at it. And anything you need to know is spoken. Which you need, because the controls are on your ears while you're swimming.
- The 'zappin' function is a clever way to pick what to play without a display. Basically it plays a few seconds of each track on the player, skipping through them so you can listen for what you want, then hit a button to stop and hear the rest of the selected track.

Cons:
- The 'playlist' doesn't work for standard playlists, so you can only listen to tracks sequentially or shuffle.
- On the PC, you might accidentally install the horrible Sony media manager. Don't do it, mount it in the filesystem and drag your music in.
- The firmware update to make playlists work isn't available to customers in the US. Which is lame. But the people in the UK that got it said that it bricked their players, with no way to downgrade, and that's worse. Still, no credit to Sony for that one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally an MP3 player which works while swimming !, July 14, 2014
Have not written too many reviews about purchases on Amazon. Well, in this case again, I just feel compelled to do so ! I have searched for an MP3 player that I can swim with for a very long time. Tried a number of others but this is the ONLY one which works well and consistently while swimming. First tried a product from Speedo, then the so called waterproofed ipod shuffle (waterfi). All of them worked for a few days (yes days only !!), then just died. This Sony product works like a charm and my swims have never been the same - makes my time in the water something to look forward to.
Note that you will need to install the Sony Media Go software onto your laptop to easily transfer songs to the Walkman unit. This review is for the 4 GB product which stores a good many songs but not a large collection. One last tip - even thought it sounds counter intuitive, I found that keeping the wire strap OUTSIDE my swim cap helped immensely. Happy swimming !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it when you need a swimming mp3, May 31, 2014
Its sound is mediocre at best, but that's not the point. I bought it because I need something for long distance swimming and didn't want anything cumbersome, and this thing serves the purpose.

I have an ipod nano + recabled Shure se425 combo for runnning/working out and other headphones (AKG K701, etc) for serious music listening. If you don't need it for swimming then there are better options.

So far I have only used it once for swimming and realized the sound quality doesn't really matter under water. There's a lot of ambient noise, mostly from water flowing around your head, such that you don't care about the treble, bass or whatsoever.

I deducted one star because I hope it could be even smaller and don't know if it will last long enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for swimming, August 6, 2014
Does exactly what I want-- let me listen to music while swimming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best MP-3, June 9, 2014
I got this for my wife to use at work. Great sound and no wires getting in your way.
What makes it even better she can use it in the pool.
Easy to add or delete songs. You also DL the Media Go app with it. This app transfers all your music that has been stored in your libaries for you.
I'm going to get one for myself soon also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Volume, June 11, 2014
This review is from: Sony Walkman NWZW273S 4 GB Waterproof Sports MP3 Player (Blue) with Waterproof Earbuds (Electronics)
Good product but wish the volume could be louder at max than it is. If it was then it would have got 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and Simple, August 13, 2014
These headphones are fantastic! With the normal earbuds, the sound is crystal clear and perfect quality. With the swimming earbuds, the sound is a bit muffled, but even the instructions say this, so the company is honest which goes to their favor. When putting the headphones on for the first time, it took me a few tries. After about fifteen minutes, I finally made them fit. I have a large head and the headphones fit well, which I was happy about because others in the past have been too small. For those with a smaller head, the product comes with an adjusting band that can be used to tighten the wire. The charger cradle holds the headphones firmly.

As for appearance, the headphones do not look out of the ordinary. I bought the black colored ones and with my dark brown hair, the cord is not visible.

The product works well underwater. The water does not affect the sound. When I first tried the product underwater, I was very worried that they would break, but! they did not. And still work well. Just make sure that you dry the headphones after use by shaking the water our like the video (link in the instructions) say or use a towel to remove and excess water from the product. I do both to be safe.

Connecting to your computer to transfer music is simple. Click and drag. Follow the instructions in the packaging.

Basically, read the instructions and this product will work no problem! I absolutely love these headphones and I use them for doing laps in the pool, they don't fall off! (:

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! I've been looking for this for years., August 24, 2014
It took some getting used to, but I swam today and my workout was a pleasure due to this product. It comes with ear buds for swimming, and also ear buds for other activities. I was not able to use the swimming buds, which include a little mesh barrier to help keep water out. The mesh lowered the volume enough that I couldn't hear. To clarify, I like to listen to podcasts when I swim. I listened to the sample music files that came with the device and could hear them fairly well even with the swimming buds. The problem was that podcasts are harder for me to hear than music. I solved the problem by using the regular buds, which don't include a mesh barrier. Using the regular buds means that you have to be extra careful not to let water in, but the volume can be set high enough that it drowns out the sound of water rushing by your head as you swim. When I did get water in the ear buds, the sound became very low, or gone completely. This was very frustrating, until my wife suggested that I wear a swimming cap. This required more trial and error, to find a cap that fit right and covered my ears well enough. Now that I've found the perfect set up, I may look pretty goofy wearing the cap, but I don't care. I have all my podcasts and music as I swim, and I'm delighted. Incidentally, adding or removing sound files to this device is an absolute breeze. Open a folder, drag and drop, done.
Highly recommended.