Sony XBR - Cannot connect to wireless internet I just received my Sony XBR-9 and when I try to get the wireless internet connection, the tv just keeps searching and searching until I finally just turn off the TV. I have also purchased the LG BD-390 bly-ray player and it connected to my wireless immediately.
I did go somewhere in the XBR settings and it told me I needed to download an update. If I can't get the wireless how do I get the update?
My cable internet is in another room and it is connected to a Linksys wireless router.
asked by Sunshine Lover on July 30, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 40 answers
A
votes
The XBR9 does not have a built-in WiFi adapter unlike the LG BD390. Your TV should be connected to your router either with an ethernet cable or through a wireless bridge. Sony officially supports Linksys by Cisco WET610N Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band. See http://esupport.sony.com/referencebook/en/xbr9/pages/gettingstarted/networksetup.html
D. Arur answered on July 31, 2009

A
votes
Yea, this is really a buzz kill that none of the Sony Internet ready TVs seem to either have WiFI N built-in nor does Sony sell a proprietary WiFi USB dongle as an option like Samsung. The Linksys bridge is a lame way to get WiFi given the poor quality of Linksys and having to connect it to a bridge kind of ruins the while reason for having a wall mount TV. The Sony's do seem to have the best picture and the Yahoo Gadgets is very cool if not a real game changer (the App Store for TVs) but Sony seems to have really dropped the ball by not having a better WiFi N option for their TVs.
Railgun answered on October 20, 2009

A
votes
My wife and I just received our first Sony Bravia KDL52XBR9 H.D.T.V. 240Hz. Sony recommends the LINKSYS WET610N wireless network bridge for the XBR series. In installing the WET610N wireless network bridge, you must have a wireless network installed on your computer system, and remember your network name and password, you'll need to enter those during the install process of the WET610N. After installing our wireless network bridge, we have great internet access, viewing the Sony Widgets/Snippets, and use of any wireless laptop computer. All your computers must be logged into your LINKSYS router SETUP page using WEP security, so they will be recognized as part of your network. I found out the LINKSYS model WET610N is the only Linksys device recommended by Sony for the Bravia XBR series H.D.T.V.'s. So far, the device works GREAT! We love our new Sony Bravia. Only draw back is ALL of the H.D.T.V.'s features. Easy to navigate, but so much to view.
J. Davis answered on November 28, 2009

A
votes
No, the Sony TV will not connect to your Apple Airport. You'll need a wireless bridge like the Linksys WET610N. The Linksys bridge will connect to your Apple Airport wirelessly, and the Sony TV will connect to the Linksys bridge with an ethernet cable. You don't need Comcast to change anything.
D. Arur answered on December 2, 2009

A
vote
I intend to replace the old TV with this Bravia. Thus, I just don't know how the wireless works. So I'd have to set up a Lynksys just for the TV and the Airport would run my 4 Macs and one PC? Can I do that? God forbid, do I have to have Comcast come in and do anything?? Thanks.
Paula R. Doherty answered on November 30, 2009

A
vote
I just purchased a sony (52w5150) that has the same Internet connectivity. Tried the Linksys WET610N bridge and sent it back to Amazon.. like described above... the connectivity is VERY blotchy if connects at all.. Plus the 610n only has 1 ethernet connection so if you have other devices like a wired Blu Ray player without the built in wireless, you cant connect it at the same time... just ignore that the sony says they 'work with' the Linksys and get the D-Link DAP-1522 extreme bridge/AP and use it. The signal NEVER falls out like the linksys and it has 4 ports in case you want other gadgets later! The TV and Internet widgets on teh Sony work GREAT with the right signal quality. Watched two movies yesterday in HD over the Internet with described setup..
S. Fields answered on December 21, 2009

A
vote
Linda.. its according to how hard it would be to run the cable... obviously it would be cheapest to run cable and it would be rock solid.. but if thats not possible (as it was in my house), I went with wireless. Typically the provided routers that come from the ISPs have only 'G' connectivity which typically do NOT have enough bandwidth for the streaming needed for the TVs. You will need to put something in with the 'N' wireless to facilitate that.
There are several brands that support the 'N' band. I tried the Linksys bridge mentioned by Sony and had VERY poor results with it even though it was N based and my wireless router already supported 'N'. So because I requred the wirelss connectivity, I purchased a d-Link DAP1522 (from Amazon) bridge and connected it to my Sony as well as my DVR and my Internet connected Blu Ray DVD player. Thats another way the DAP1522 is superior to the Linksys.. The linksys only supports one connection whereas the D-Link supports up to 4 devices. I use a D-Link 'N' wireless router hooked to my cable systems modem which you could do also with the Quest modem. Problem is it takes BOTH the 'N' wireless router AND the 'N' wireless bridge so add the costs up and it can be substantioally more than the cost of a 50' cable drop if that is possible..... Good news is that Netflix and Amazon video AND Slacker radio that is built into the Sony works GREAT when set up properly. I have come to depend on it...
Hope all this helps...
S. Fields answered on January 12, 2010

A
vote
I can confirm that Graham's "Airport Extreme base station -- Airport Express hooked up to the KDL52XBR9" solution does indeed work. It took about 15 total minutes and all was working great. I tried the recommended Linksys, but I couldn't get the Airport Extreme to wirelessly "find" the Linksys WET610N at all. (Reset the network, double-checked passwords, reset the network, cursed liberally. No luck.) FWIW, my Airport Express is on the 1st floor with the Airport Extreme on the 2nd floor, separated by a total of maybe 35' straight-line between the two. With this arrangement, I seem to be able to easily and readily stream HD content.
c2fer answered on September 10, 2010

A
votes
Many thanks!
Paula R. Doherty answered on December 2, 2009

A
votes
Here's what I found out direct from Sony. You need to install the WET610N Wireless bridge. You must have a network formulated within your home in order to complete the installation process. During the install of the WET610N, you must enter your network name and password. The install procedure prompts you for that information. With our new KDL52XBR9, we have two alternatives to use a home based computer. One, directly hooked up using cables to the rear inputs and two, using the WET610N wireless bridge. We've had great connectivity using the wireless WET610N. Good luck, and enjoy viewing what Sony brings us with their X.B.R. series LCD's. Also, check for newest updates in the X.B.R. Though ours said it had the newest we still found a newer update. I'm not all acquainted with each X.B.R. model number, but you might have many of the same features as the KDL52XBR. You can check those feature comparisons at the Sony web site.
J. Davis answered on December 7, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›