4.0 out of 5 stars Excellet TV overall, Oustanding when viewed from front and center
As of this writing (Sept. 25, 2011), I've had the Sony XBR-55HX929 for just over two months, so I thought it was about time I shared my impressions of it. Nothing I have to say differs significantly from what other (positive) reviews have said, but I thought I'd contribute to the collective wisdom.

Let me start off with a bit of context: I have had, at least...
Published on September 25, 2011 by SGatefield

2.0 out of 5 stars Screen defects
In sum, expect the beautiful display to be embarrassingly scarred after an inexcusably short amount of time, and then having to wait weeks for Sony to fix it. Picture looks great until screen fails - and it will. I haven't had the TV longer than 90 days, and a blue vertical stripe has developed running the entire height of the screen. I did some online research and this...
Published on November 10, 2011 by Gary

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV with a fatal flaw, March 1, 2012
I have been really pleased with the quality of the picture, the internet features and the options for tuning the picture to my taste. It has integrated well with my Yamaha AVR as well.

But there is a problem.

I bought this set in March of 2011 when it first became available. As an early adopter I expected some minor bugs in the firmware and was willing to take the fixes as they arrived. However, what I did not anticipate was a loud buzzing coming from the backlight in the rear of the set. The picture that I loved came with an obnoxious buzzing. It gets noticeably louder as the picture changes from dark to bright. In fact the buzzing goes away completely during brief black transitions between commercials or scenes. With the Ambient Light Sensor off (which you want off when you spend time tweaking the picture settings) the buzzing is ridiculous. WIth the sensor on it is less noticeable but still present.

Sony acknowledged the problem. Their onsite repair folks isolated the problem to the TV, not how it was connected and replaced the set in June of 2011. The same problem is present on the second set. Lucky, yes? :-0

This set is wonderful, but mine has a flaw that still persists. Time for another attempt at service with Sony.

5.0 out of 5 stars 929 vs 820, September 18, 2011
This review is from: Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 1080p 3D Local-Dimming LED HDTV with Built-In Wi-Fi (Black) (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I got this 55XBR929 2 weeks back (from amazon) and what a difference an upgrade makes. I bought the 55HX820 last month from amazon, had it for almost 4 weeks and returned it and replaced it with 929. I have a 52XBR5 and for some reason the HX820 was not even close to that 3-4 year old TV. I was not sure if something was wrong with the TV or I was used to seeing a better quality picture. Either way I made the right decision. The difference in price was $400. I know it is a lot of money but it is worth every penny of it. I had both the TV in my house for a day. I hooked up both of them side by side and it did not take me and family a second to see the diffference. Sony always has good quality pictures, I hope it was something to do with the perticular HX820 unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Research Paid Off - The XBR 929 is the Perfect Set for us!, July 1, 2012
For our 36th anniversary, my wife and I decided that it was time to replace our brobdingdagian (look it up) Hitachi Rear Projection set that we purchased back when real flat screen sets were out of our price range. Anyway, it seems there are enough choices out there for flat screens that it can make your head swim! So, I decided to do due diligence and research the possibilities and see if I could at least narrow the possibilities. After reading reviews, both written and video, of many flat screen TVs, it came down to two possibilities: Either the Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30 (Plasma) or the Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 (Back-lit LED).

As it happens, both of these sets were on display at a local appliance store so I was able to look at them both pretty much side by side. They were also very close to the same price (the Sony was on sale for $2699, which, from what I could tell looking at one line prices, was a very good price for this set). The Panasonic was a little more but it was a 65 inch whereas the Sony was only 55 inch. My self-imposed price limit was $3000.

Picture quality on both sets was outstanding! In fact it could be argued that the Plasma set was a little better in a dark room. So, you might be wondering why I went with the 55-inch Sony instead of a larger 65-inch plasma, with maybe a slightly better picture? Well, first, the difference in picture quality was slight and I knew we would be happy with either. However, there were a couple of additional factors that led to the Sony.

First, the viewing area where our set would be located has a lot of ambient light. The Sony back-lit LED seems to have a better picture in brighter conditions, whereas the Plasma looked very good in a darker room, but didn't look as good in brighter lighting - it just didn't have the "pop" of the back-lit LED Sony. If I were making a home theater where the lights would be low all the time, I might have leaned more towards the Panasonic Plasma. But for our lighting situation, I felt the Sony would do better. Also, the distance from our seating to the set is about 14-15 feet. Our previous set was a 55-inch rear projection and we found that size about perfect for that viewing distance. Thus, the fact that the Panasonic was a bigger TV wasn't that much of a factor. Bigger isn't always better.

Finally, I looked at the specs and found that the Sony back-lit LED set consumes less than 1/3rd the power of the Plasma set! (If you felt the back of the Plasma set in the store, it was very warm, whereas the back of the Sony was much cooler. I figured this would result in much lower operating costs in the long run.

Now that I've had this set for three months, I can honestly say that I could not be happier! There is a ton of internet content available though this set (NetFlix, Amazon Movies, Hulu Plus, Youtube, Sony Bravia, Crackle, Pandora, and many more). I am amazed at the picture quality. For our lighting situation it is perfect! The picture never get's washed out in a bright room! (I read that this was the only Sony TV that has "guerilla glass" like you see on iPads, which might account for picture quality in bright conditions). I was a little concerned at some reviews that talk about the picture only looking good if you are viewing straight on. However, I have not found any significant issues with off-axis viewing.

We have some seating that is straight in front of the set, but also some side seating (about 30 degrees off axis). If there is any difference it isn't enough to bother me. I find the picture great from any angle. Even in the store, before I bought the set, I would move side-to-side to try to see the difference everyone was talking about, and while there was "some" difference, it wasn't enough to concern me. I'm very happy with the picture from any angle.

The intelligent Peak LED back lighting really makes a difference! The contrast on this set is outstanding in all movie scene lighting conditions! Also, the "X-Reality Pro Engine" is supposed to be some sort of dual chip processor that examines, for example, a streaming video pixel by pixel, and compares each area with a huge database of pixel patterns, and then somehow make corrections to improve image clarity. I don't fully understand how it works, but it works. It does seem to help lower-res pictures, for example, streaming SD Netflix videos, or YouTube videos - that look better on this set that even on my Apple 27" iMac. In fact, when I watch SD DVDs using my Sony Blu-Ray up-converting player on this set, I'm hard pressed to tell they are not HD BluRay videos.

Bottom Line: I'm glad I did my homework. This is an outstanding set with an outstanding picture and loads of features! I have no regrets about buying this set and I'm so glad it was on sale for under my price limit, otherwise I'd have probably gotten the Panasonic. I would buy this set again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The One and Only, September 12, 2011
I received this TV a few days ago. It was delivered on time (ordered Labor Day Monday - received Friday - WOW!) from Amazon's shipper in pristine condition. The delivery personnel put it where I wanted and asked if I wanted it unpacked (which I did not - wasn't ready to hang yet). As we unpacked it my son easily assembled the base unit though I planned to hang it on a Chief Mfg. articulating wall mount. We had it hung in no time. This 55 inch unit is 7 pounds lighter than the 40 inch Sony KDL40XBR3 LCD TV it replaced! The set-up was a snap and we easily hooked it up wirelessly to our network. It is hooked up to our HD cable box and a 3D blu-ray player. Turned on the TV and selected a cable channel and we were dazzled. The clarity of this TV is phenomenal in the factory setting - it really is like looking through a window. The problem with that setting though is that there appears to be some motion ghosting/trailing, and the background is jerky in scenes where the camera is following a character as he/she moves. So we tweaked the settings and now the picture is a little softer and the motion flows smoother. One other drawback is the smooth glass face which reflects light easily, so this is an issue for us since the set is in a family room with lots of natural lighting - there is no anti-reflective coating like the XBR3.
I also agree with other reviewers that the lack of a hard-copy manual is deplorable for a set of this price. i-manual built into the TV? What if your problem (which you are trying to solve using the troubleshooting section of a manual) is that the TV won't turn on or there is power but no picture? Duh!
Yes - as others have said the sound is minimally adequate, but given the ultra-slim profile it's easy to see why you cannot get good spaekers built into it. However - at the price Amazon gave me I was also able to order a sound bar system which I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of (from Amazon).
Overall this is a great TV. Amazon's free shipping, liberal return policy, low price (which went even lower with their price-match policy), and expert handling made this a very satisfying transaction. Do not hesitate to buy big-ticket items like this from Amazon (remember though - this came directly from Amazon and not a sponsored seller). Look no further for startling video. I have not yet tried the 3D feature or the internet features - just watched great TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars xbr 46 inch 929, July 22, 2011
delivery was prompt. the setup of the tv was very easy and efficient. it was easy to edit names for the inputs (e.g., tivo instead of the provided names). the sony sound is so, so. you really need to connect to a AV receiver. the speakers are rear facing. the sony web interface is bad. the widgets,etc are reasonable (wrt user interface). the internet setup was straightforward (ethernet with a fixed ip address). setting up all the controls and options reminding me of setting up a computer for the first time. this tv set is really a computer with a hd screen.

now to the picture. it is great and vivid. the tv set replaced a sharp 2 year old system. much better colors and clarity. the colors seem to jump off the screen. at night, until i turned off (disabled) the ambient light detector, the picture got darker. once i fixed this, the picture at night was as good as the day. i don't know why these tv sets have this feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Sony TV update 1 1/2 years old, June 26, 2011
I purchased this TV because I wanted a 55" screen, not so much for the 3D which is becoming affordable at a snail's crawl. It's just not worth the expense of the glasses and the movies right now. However, the regular 2D picture is gorgeous, there is a great remote with a plethora of calibrations, and the the Sony hooks ups wirelessly to a computer router with great efficacy. I felt I had to respond to the negative review because the bottom line is this 55" Sony is better than any Samsung out there-I can't understand how anyone can even compare the two brands because Sony is JUST MADE BETTER in everyway. Don't expect too much if you buy the sony google bluray player -the TV-internet marriage still has incompatibilies. I got a fantastic price on this TV plus the bluray player in a really good Memorial Day sale-that's why I bought it. I am extremely pleased with the Sony picture and that is what matters most! I just wanted to give an update on this marvelous TV-Gorgeous picture like brand-new and not one problem! The TV has had regular software updates and everything works like a charm. You see some wildly fluctuating reviews on this model and I know there are lemons out there. I am pretty critical of the electronics I buy given that they are so expensive. I am extremely happy with this TV. I did purchase a warranty for it-you might want to considering checking out this plan [...]. I purchased a 5-year warranty for $189.00 and they have a A+ rating with the BBB.

5.0 out of 5 stars best in class, August 21, 2011
I'm happy the price dropped by around a thousand over the last month or two, because for the money you will not find a better LED tv, I have been looking for months.
For starters, I returned my third 55HX820 back to amazon because of damage or defect, who knows, or maybe it was Sony's QC. Now that I've had this unit for a couple of weeks I am glad I things turned out the way they did. The problem I felt was with one of the shippers Amazon contracts with, since they weren't handling or setting up these TVs properly.

The picture quality, build quality, and finishing are outstanding, and there is a metal bezzel wrapped around the frame that gives it a nice touch, you wouldn't notice it though unless you're standing close to the unit. The stand is also among the nicest I've ever seen, I have an issue with the crow's feet stands of Samsung's LEDs like the 8000, I was never able to look past these esthetic nuances, but if you're staring at something you are paying 2-3 k for on a daily basis, these little things will begin to matter.

Now for the picture quality; having seen the sony, samsung, and LG flagship TVs side by side at best buy, I was leaning towards sony from the start, samsung's picture struck me as more of a "home movie" type delivery, and LG's, as nice and as sharp as they are, just paled a bit compared with the Sony, and since they're much cheaper, you can always argue that little added extra screen and display quality may not be enough to justify the disproportionately higher price tag. This argument obviously didn't influence my purchase decision.

Yes I have issues with glare when watching during the day, and the UN user-friendly remote and the internet features that could be better, but who cares, this TV delivers in the areas where it absolutely and categorically must, picture quality. I don't get it with all the bells and whistles manufacturers tout about their new LEDs, internet apps, widgets this, widgets that, keyboard on a remote??? if you're buying TVs in this price range you probably have a laptop, use it.

At the end of the day it all comes down to this: For watching movies in 2 D and 3 D (yes the 3 D works great, no issues), the XBR929 delivers quite an experience, you will know and feel where the extra money you spent has gone!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great, as long as it works, June 4, 2012
I bought this TV in January. The picture is fantastic, the factory sound system is not so great so expect to buy a home theater system. Having to buy a home theater sound system was not that big of a surprise so its not the reason for the poor rating. The horrible service that we have received from Sony is the reason for the poor rating. The TV quit working at four months most likely due to a power supply problem that from the web appears to be prevalent. But even that is forgivable. The service is not. First its wait for 5-7 business days for a technician to check the online diagnostics. Then its wait 5-7 business days for Sony to scratch its head and figure out what to do. Then its 5-7 business days for Sony to ship a reconditioned TV (not a new TV, a reconditioned TV to replace a 4 month old unit). Then to learn that they haven't shipped it since they claim that they had not received the copy of the receipt that I had faxed them, so wait another 5-7 business days. Well, its been more than 5-7 business days since the last attempt, more than a month in total and I still don't have a working TV. I submitted basically this same review on Sony's site, and amazingly they haven't yet posted it. The TV was great, but the service has been abysmal. I've been a Sony devotee, but this service experience has caused me to find another brand where my business is appreciated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good TV. My set may have defect.., May 22, 2011
I picked up this TV from local Sony store. I had chance to play with it just for a day. No dead pixels. No clouding as far as I can tell. Panel is stylish. I am able to stream my MPEG4 720p movies from my UNRAID Twonky media server. You can also pause, fast forward these movies. I was not able to do this on my Samsung PN50B650 (only play will work and if you stop movie I would need to start over). ACR works great with my new Sony STR-DN1020 receiver.I have not tried any 3D movies yet but I have tried upconverted 2D Blu-Ray movie (from my Sony BDP-S780) and it looked not bad. You can adjust depth of your 3D content.
Picture is great. Daylight reflection from my living room windows is not as bad as it was with my old Samsung plasma TV.
The only issue I am noticing right now is some kind of crease along left edge of the TV. It is not that noticeable but if you are picky like myself you will notice it. It is about 1/4 inch wide. I am not sure if this panel was not handled properly during shipping to the store. I am going back to Sony store to check if display model have this issue. I will post my findings latter..

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocked by some of the reviews here., February 28, 2012
It seems like if a product is expensive compared to its competition, people demand and expect perfection. Although not perfect, the picture quality of this tv set is vastly superior to any other television on the market. I tested out the top of the line samsung (terrible clouding and other quality control issues), LG (black levels and contrast dont even come close) and a few other 3D sets and the picture quality of this sony is flat out better. There is no such thing as a perfect tv set and the very minor flaws of this set definitely do not diminish its greatness. The "blooming" effect is a very minor issue and you hardly notice it unless you turn off local dimming and raise the backlight all the way up. Even then you only see this effect on a static black screen with a white object and you only notice it if your looking for it. However, all the great benefits of local dimming such as awesome contrast and black level, stunning accuracy of colors, and the crispness of this picture completely overshadow the minor flaws. Ive been through many flat panel screens before this one and ive never been as satisfied with a purchase as i am with this one. I highly recommend this beautiful television. Its well worth the money!

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›