5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Xperia Tablet Z: A Strong Contender for Best Tablet
I HAD to have one of these as I've been looking for my ideal Android tablet for some time, and so far, the majority of the pro websites have given the Sony Xperia Tablet Z very positive reviews. Not wanting to wait several weeks, as Amazon states for their shipping times, I bought one straight from Sony...and I couldn't be much happier! Just about every tablet I've tried...
Published 15 months ago by R. Voorhees

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice hardware implementation, but serious (software) flaws
I did my research before buying and I was happy with the specs, advantages and disadvantages of this tablet.
However there are three things that I only discovered after playing with it:

1) they didn't upgrade the Android on it. I mean the 4.2 was released in Nov 2012, this tablet was released in June 2013 and still has 4.1 on it ?!

2) there is a...
Published 13 months ago by Dan Nasty

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 428 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy, Can't Put It Down, January 16, 2014
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z SGP312U1/B 10.1-Inch 32GB Tablet Black (Personal Computers)
I received this as a birthday gift. I pay attention to tech sites but only had general knowledge of this device. I have to say I am loving it. I have the LTE version (SPG351) which I think is also the international version. I updated to 4.3 via wifi with no problem.

Features I like:

WATERPROOF
I took it into the shower and it proved that it really is water proof. I tried to use it while water was running on it and it seems to have difficulty registering swipes. However I'm not sure if this is an issue if the tablet is fully submerged.

FLASH
To make it even more versatile, I was able to install Flash. I use Dolphin browser to ensure that I can view Flash videos and Flash websites.

LTE
I use Tmobile for my phone so I took my sim card to a Tmobile store and had them cut it down to micro sim card size so that I can put it into my Xperia Tablet Z. Worked like a charm. I get amazingly fast LTE speeds (when I'm in an LTE area). I can use Skype to place calls over LTE, however, placing Google voice calls does not work.

DISPLAY
The display is bright and crisp. I'm not sure how the display stacks up to Samsung Galaxy Note tabs or even Ipad Air, but it definitely exceeds the Ipad 3 that I was using.

BATTERY LIFE
Using the stamina mode, the battery life is excellent. I can use the tab all day and still have juice left at night before charging it. Stamina mode turns off radios and stuff when the display sleeps. Quickly turns everything back on when you double tap to wake it up.

WIFI/BLUETOOTH/LTE CONNECTION
Connections to these radios all work very quickly. I've had no connectivity issues with any of them. I use a bluetooth headset as well as use bluetooth to easily and quickly "throw" files to my phone or my laptop.

SOFTWARE / UI
Sony's skin is very limited and allows the tab to feel very close to stock Android. I added Nova Launcher because I do like to have a little bit more of customization.

SPEED / PROCESSING
The Xperia Tablet Z flies when it comes to processing. It can handle everything I throw at it.

CAMERA
The stock camera is vastly improved with the 4.3 update. I also installed 3 other 3rd party cameras which all have different features that I like to use under different circumstances. The camera performs satisfactorily but doesn't quite match the cameras on some of the flagship smartphones these days (Galaxy S4, LG G2, HTC One, etc).

GPS
GPS works flawlessly and connects very quickly. I was able to use Google Maps to guide me to several destinations.

BUILD QUALITY
This device feels nice in my hand and very solid. It is light weight and I never get tired of holding it. The back has a nice smooth rubber back which feels upscale while allowing for a good grip. Frequently I swap out the sim card to put back into my phone which requires opening and closing the plastic sim card slot cover. I do the same with the charging port cover frequently as well. So far the slot covers still close up tightly just as well as they did when I first got the device. I highly recommend that you do not bend the slot covers backwards so that they will always close tightly. I'll probably get a charging dock which will render the removal of the charging port slot cover a moot point.

Conclusion:
I really like this tab and highly recommend it. I enjoy it 100x's more than the Ipad 3 I had been using. I was able to play with an Ipad Air at the Mac store and though I was impressed with it (light weight and nice display) I couldn't see myself enjoying being stuck with Itunes and inability to customize.

I found on xda developers the method for rooting the Xperia Tablet Z LTE version and will be rooting it soon. I'll post an update on how that went and what extra benefits I've unlocked (if any) by doing so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive and then some..., September 4, 2013
Like a few other reviewers this Sony tablet is replacing an Asus Transformer that, compared to this tablet, is worthless. Not all Asus tablets are junk, but the TF201 is...pure and simple. Unfortunately it took over a year for the major problems to surface. Initially I gave the TF201 a good review! I will update that!

The display on this tablet is breathtaking...seriously! And holding it is nothing short of pleasurable. So light and thin you hardly know it's there.

Set up was a breeze. Have not had one hiccup with my Wi Fi connection, or any of the keyboard glitches that others have complained about. And I use this tablet every day and basically do everything on it while outside of work. My only complaint is the same complaint I have with all of these electronics that ship with so much junk already installed. I have not uninstalled anything for fear of removing something important but that is my next project!

I have had some disappointing experiences with Sony products in the past so I was a little hesitant with this purchase. I purchased a Sony digital frame about 6 months ago that has an amazing display so that really was the catalyst in getting me to give Sony a chance with this tablet. So far worth every penny. If you have had a bad experience with other tablets that cost the same or more as this one you will understand!

5.0 out of 5 stars It feels so good in the hand, July 23, 2013
This tablet is really under rated. Its not the best but it gives you the overall package. Its fast enough to handle most games if not all of them that out now. The camera is OK, if you play with the setting, I love HDR + setting. Love watching movie and listening to movies on here. The built in FM transmitter is a big plus when u are not around WiFi to listen to FM channels. I love reading magazines to on my tablet. And its so dawn light and thin. Not to even mention, I can use it in the tub with no worries. And the cool thing its a full home threater remote control ( your tv, surround sound, cable box, and more) Everyday use, it out performs all other tablets. Just try it. I think it's worth 500 plus Sony announced that it will be getting android 4.3

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Xperia Tablet Z > Samsung Ativ 500T > Samsung Galaxy 10.1, July 15, 2013
My first tablet was the original Samsung Galaxy 10.1 (in 2011). I had purchased it on the day Staples was offering $100 off. I kept it for a few months before selling it on eBay. There was nothing wrong with it though, just that I had no real use for it. Back then, the android app ecosystem for tablet apps was still in nascent stage and the novelty of this new tablet wore off quickly after first few weeks.

I did not buy my second tablet until 2013. I wanted to be sure that the next tablet I buy should not follow the way of my first tablet. And since my earlier tablet was android, I gave Win8 a shot this time. I bought a refurb Samsung ATIV 500T. It has a 11.6 inch screen (which I loved) and also comes with a stylus. Initially I loved this tablet (like you would any new gadget) for its large screen and stylus and full desktop OS. And honestly speaking... the Win8 edge gestures (swipe from left to open recently used apps, swipe from top to minimize an app, swipe from top and continue swiping till the bottom edge to close an app, swipe from right to access the charms bar) is the coolest thing to happen to any touchscreen device on any OS. But soon I realized that the app situation for Win8 is even worse than what it was for android tablets back in 2011! And technically speaking, Win8 tablets should not even need apps because it does support full-fledged desktop applications. But its not the same... there is a reason we all have 22+ inches monitors hooked to our desktop for! And the apps that are present keep crashing all the time (netflix, fresh paint). So I ended up returning this tablet too!

Soon after I bought this Sony Xperia Tablet Z 32GB (White) from Sony's website. Amazon did not have them in stock and Sony was offering 10% discount for some kind of promotion. I love my new tablet. It is very sleek and light in weight. So light that I'm using this to watch netflix in my bed (before falling asleep) - couldn't do that with my ATIV 500T because it was not comfortable to hold in one hand. I was slightly worried about ordering a white one but I can confidently say now that this white tablet does not make me look girly at all (also confirmed by my wife and my 2 year old). This tablet has an IR port and comes with a remote control app, and I was able to pair my Samsung TV and Motorola set top box with this tablet on first attempt. I keep flipping channels when my wife is watching her soaps and she has no idea whats going on. She thinks that our TV might be possessed. I might enjoy this a little while longer. This tablet is also PlayStaion certified meaning I could easily pair my PS3 dualshock controller with this tablet (uses bluetooth) without having to root it first! I look forward to playing FPS games on this tablet now that I don't have to use the touchscreen to aim anymore. Another feature I love is that this tablet wakes up from sleep by a simple double-tap on the screen. I never realized how much I hated fumbling around for the hardware button until this feature came along. Kudos to Sony for inventing/implementing this feature.

Bottom line is that this is not a cheap tablet by any means and this tablet does not have the best screen or the best processor or the best GPU but it works very well as a complete package. When held in hands, it feels like a premium well-made product. When using, it feels snappy enough that I do not notice any lags or freezing issues. Overall, this tablet has provided me with a very pleasant experience and I do not feel like putting this tablet down even for a moment. I feel that I got my money's worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, June 13, 2013
By first I'm not a fan of any brand.I bought an iPad mini for my wife and used a couple times but don't like the fact that all you have to buy from them, so I decide to get an android with sd card slot and bought a galaxy note 10.1 but the low resolution screen and the low quality materials aspect change my mind and returned. I been looking for a Mont trying to find a tablet that fill my expectations and found it, beauty,good high quality materials, hd screen, fast processor, waterproof, light and slim but strong, etc, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Tablet is awesome., June 10, 2013
Got this tablet 2 weeks ago. It is not perfect. But close to
Pros:
gorgeous screen.
Thin , light and feels good in hands.
Less bloatware
A lot of functions
Very very very fast
Battery life is crazy 1 full day of use and it is still 43% Remaining.

Cons:
Screen is a fingerprint magnet. Resolved this by removing the anti shatter film and install a screen protector.
The default xperia launcher is laggy sometimes. Installed nova launcher instead and it is very smooth.
Audio and camera are not best in class..but they are OK.

Summary. If you are looking for a good tablet, get an iPad , if you are looking for best android tablet ...this one is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Android Tablet: a step above the field, June 7, 2013
I just received this tablet yesterday and am highly impressed: Sony has a real winner here

First impressions are an absolutely gorgeous tablet that is light and thin: the squared off edges make it easy to hold and carry

The display is very bright and the screen is brilliant: it comes with a startup guide that is actually helpful too

I bought this tablet because it seems suitable to take outdoors by the pool

The only downside I see is it is hard to locate the ports for charging, etc because the waterproof seals are so well designed: not a big deal

Perhaps I will add more comments to this review but be assured you will absolutely love this device: it is a step above any other Android tablet out there: we use iPads in the home too but this will be my new 'go to' tablet' ....I am thrilled !

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect tablet for eyes but remove screen Protector: A different kind of review; Found a perfect sleeve/case combo(updated 9/17), September 13, 2013
(Updated Oct 7th for available cases see at end)
All of the other reviews are spot on: the best tablet currently available.
(but remove the stupid clear screen protector that is pre-installed and useless -it will not remove Sony logo(is a myth), just remove it slowly as you would with any ptotector on a large screen. Trust me, it will significantly improve clarity,glare and reduce smudges. No other vendor I know does this with such a screen.Put your own protector on if you must, but remove the pre-installed one since it will get marked and scratched eventually and you may forget that it exists in the first place. I missed it was even there until I read about it. Made a world of difference when i removed. I NEVER use a screen protector for any Gorilla Glass type display-waste of money when loss of clarity is weighed against glare reduction. Gorilla type glass is its own protection, hence the name Gorilla...)

So why repeat what others have said? I want to draw your attention to another benefit, for those of us(in my case middle aged)who have to keep increasing fonts due to our vision. Well the Xperia Tablet with the Sony screen clarity and portrait friendly aspect, cannot be beaten by ANY tablet, even the Ipad retina 4.

A bold statement some would say...the less charitable however would say its damned foolish...or even inaccurate. Why? Because it has a lower screen resolution than the ipad or Nexus 10? True. But better specs do not necessarily mean clearer visibility. The hardware and software of the tablet has to support the screen resolution. Just because the tablet is capable of that screen resolution, does not mean that it actually achieves it. Don't get me wrong...both the Nexus 10 and Ipad retina have brilliant screen resolution, but the Xperia, to me anyway, is just as good to my naked aging eye. But 'just as good ' is not better. Sony's screen technology and software makes the difference in clarity. I find that with the ipad 4 the text doesn't look right . I would probably much prefer the retina display on the forthcoming ipad mini actually. I think the retina type displays on larger devices make the type look too bold somehow-that is the best i can describe it.

There is a big difference between clear text that is easy on the eye and text that is just too crisp. Sony has the best screen technology ever-it is what they are the best at,IMHO. Their use of contrast,saturation and light, makes all the difference.

But, and there is a but, i did not feel that way about 18 months ago and loved the Retina 4(though not the limited Apple Ecosystem, lack of widgets,customization etc): so vision has a major part to play in this.

Just something I wanted you to know, especially if you are in your forties and want the best tablet to use for the next few years. This is it.

October 7th: I have been using the PDAIR custom Leather sleeve and it is so form fitting that it makes the tablet look even smaller, I swear!It also makes it look even classier if that is possible. Hefty $99.00 price tag though-includes shipping from Hong Kong from PDAIR directly. Worth it to me since the protection is great while taking up little extra space in my man bag :)

Sept 16th:I know so many of you do not know how to find a case or a sleeve that does not mess up the awesomeness of this slim light tablet. i found the perfect solution:

91)Incipio Feather Case for the Sony Xperia Z Tablet - Obsidian Black (SE-201),which will still allow the Sony to fit inside the:
Alchemy Goods Redmond Tablet Sleeve for New iPad and iPad2

The sleeve is gorgeous(see my review for that) and has a leathery look to it, classy yet practical,with great protection. The incipio adds zero bulk and no discernible weight.Trust me on this. I purchased and returned 5 cases to provide this solution. Remember that the Xperia is a pretty tough tablet as well. Like this review if it helps you please!!!

GMYLE (TM) Black PU leather Laichee Pattern Sleeve Case Bag Cover with extra pocket for Microsoft Surface RT / Samsung Galaxy Tablet Tab Note 10.1 N8000 N8010 N8013 / iPad / Nexus 10 / Asus TF300 TF700 10 10.1 inch

Slimmer sleeve-looks just like leather-little bulk. Fits like a glove. Great if you want a slimmer profile. Ten bucks delivered.

5.0 out of 5 stars iPad 3 > Xperia Tablet Z, January 8, 2014
I am generally Apple product user and have been using and iPad 3 for the past year and a half. I wanted to get a lighter/ large screen/ resistant tablet for my parents and also switch myself to an iPad Air in a few months time. So I got the Xperia Tablet Z and decided to play with it for a while before passing it on.

Well, the news is that I might keep it. Gorgeous hardware, smooth operation. Very light. All the pros and cons have been nicely highlighted before, my personal take would be:

- I also use an Xperia phone and there is a Sony Xperia app for easy data connection via Bluetooth, plus its own widget to control it. No more creating private WiFi network on the phone, setting the data sharing, manually connecting the tablet etc. when out of the WiFi coverage. It literally took me 2 minutes to set everything up once and that's it.

- IR blaster and the accompanying app, very handy. I managed to input functions of all of my remotes (7 in total) into the app very quickly (15 minutes, if that much) so I can stove them away. Remote mess be gone.

- I like using music apps and in that sense, iPad is leaps and bounds ahead of Android. Especially in the professional domain. But I also use my computer for music creation, so the iPad was more of an additional gadget (I don't perform live). What I would miss most is using the iPad as a remote surface for Apple Logic music software.

- I also like drawing/ sketching/ painting and it that sense Android is way behind as well, app-wise. Again, on the flip side, I do design for living and have a 27" iMac and Wacom tablets (and real pen and paper and markers...).

Some time ago I have decided to become less platform-reliant and therefore started using contact, calendar, notes etc. solutions that can work on any platform (either Apple software that can sync via Google, or 3rd party apps). In that sense, the transition from iOS to Android has been quite painless. And there are things I like in Android better, for example the on-screen keyboard: I was never happy with the iOS all-caps rendering, plus on newer Android you can make it smaller and even split it. Also the freedom to arrange the home screen in a flexible manner, little things like that.

All in all, very happy at the moment, I still have couple of months to go before the time comes to give it away — or not. I like Sony as a brand and this tablet embodies it very nicely: great quality and design (nothing earth-shattering, just very, very pleasant to use).

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, Beautiful Android Tablet, August 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Xperia Z is definitely pretty and impressively constructed. Very thin (less than 7 mm/slightly more than 1/4 in) and light (one pound), it's easy to carry around, and you can hold it with one hand while operating it with the other--unusual for a 10-inch tablet. It's water and dust resistant, as a result of plastic caps that cover the 3.5mm headphone jack, micro USB port, and microSD card slot around the perimeter. So you really can use it in the bathtub if you're so inclined, but more realistically, you don't have to worry about spills or rain or humidity. (Those little caps seem flimsy, though, and I suspect that eventually one or more may break, destroying the water resistant feature.) Although it's plastic, it looks great and other than the plastic caps on the ports, feels very solid. Completely flat, with slightly rounded corners.

I find that the gorgeous glass screen gets covered with fingerprints very easily.

It has a microSD slot so you can add plenty of extra storage(up to 64 GB)on top of the 16 GB it comes with.

The 10.1-inch 1920x1200 LED-backlit HD LCD "Bravia Reality Display" doesn't have the resolution of, say, the Nexus 10 (300 ppi vs. 224 ppi), but it looks clear and crisp, with good black levels.

It comes with an 8MP back-facing camera and a 2MP front-facing camera. I expect little from a 2MP camera, and this one's about average. The 8MP camera is adequate, but particularly in low light, subpar.

It carries a 6000mAh battery (as opposed to, say, the Nexus 10's 9000mAh). I get a couple of days of use on a full charge, with about six hours of screen use tops. This is a few hours less than a number of other tablets that don't have to sacrifice battery capacity for thinness and light weight. It has a Stamina Mode that disables data when the screen is off, allowing very long standby time if you can live without updates and notifications during that time. There's a battery menu with a standby timer that's pretty accurate. Charging the battery through the miniUSB port is quite slow.

The two speakers produce better than average volume for a tablet, but don't expect great sound from such tiny speakers.

I'm not crazy about the keyboard the Xperia comes with. The autocorrect isn't very accurate, and neither is the swype input. But there are other keyboards out there you can download.

This is a Wi-Fi only tablet that connects to 802.11b/g/n networks on both 2.4 and 5GHz frequencies. Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC are also on board. All work well.

The Xperia Tablet Z is powered by a quad-core 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with 2GB RAM, and it's faster than most. It handles graphics-intensive games well, and web browsing is speedy.

In summary, the Xperia Z is attractive, speedy, and light. The main cons are mediocre camera and battery life. Value for the price is very subjective, and it's debatable whether this tablet is worth the premium price. Other tablets can perform most of the same functions for a lower cost. But this is about as good as an Android tablet gets at the moment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 428 | Next ›