5.0 out of 5 stars Super impressed.
Published 13 months ago by goconfigure

3.0 out of 5 stars Great attempt by Sony but still has its flaws
Published 11 months ago by JJM

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Super impressed., August 14, 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 (Unlocked Phone)
Get ready to really like this phone! Size, weight, and overall sleekness is about as good as it gets. You will be amazed how light this phone is. It's also thinner than a Gs4 and iPhone 5! Glass on the front and back and it's WATERPROOF! The software Ui is very useful and I haven't found anything stock that I can't uninstall completely. The battery life is on part with an iPhone or a Gs4. If you like to play a lot then you better pickup an external battery like the ones made by Anker sold here on Amazon. I have an Anker battery and it is the best! The screen: I was blown away by the screen contrast, colors, and brightness! The new Triluminous display tech delivers!
The ONLY potential downfall of this device, aside from the price, is ironically one of its key features: it's screen size. It is a big phone. Bigger than you expect and I came from a Note 2 so I like the extra room. To offset the shear size of this phone I also bought the Sony SBH50 NFC headset. It is a welcome accessory for calls. I wish I'd waited and bought the SBH52 but it is not currently released yet and I am not very patient. You can write and sketch on it too but I don't do much of that. I will say that the lines produced when drawing are clean and fluid. They are not jaggy or rough at all.There may be a slight lag in the input but it is SLIGHT.
If you can live with the size of this gorilla then you have every reason to buy this. It will not disappoint.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great attempt by Sony but still has its flaws, October 9, 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 (Unlocked Phone)
I recently switched from Nokia to Sony due to the vast improvements to their Xperia line up this year. I will mention that I also own an Xperia Z and a Nokia Lumia 920. I bought the Ultra Z to replace my tablet and Xperia Z as an all in one for school since I'm a college student. I will also mention I'm over 6 feet and have big hands so this review may contradict what you have read in media reviews. I will go over aspects of the phone most people are interested in.

Dimensions:

Yes this phone is big, but I can operate it comfortably due to my big hands. It also doesn't look as funny when I'm making a call due to my height. It fits nicely in my front pants pocket as well. What amazed me is how thin this phone is!! Yet the shape of the phone is a hindrance in holding it comfortably for long periods due to its sharp corners. To sum it up, this phone is for big people. I highly recommend a headset to use with this phone such as the SBH50 or SBH52.

Build:

It has a very solid build and the metal edges are a big improvement over the Xperia Z. I even dropped it accidentally on a tile floor a few times and not one ding surfaced. However the screen is sensitive and I did get a few scratches on it. A screen protector is highly recommended. Unfortunately the Xperia Z would get dinged up even if you bumped it against drywall.

Screen:

The screen is a huge improvement over the washed out screen of the Xperia Z. The colors are richer and the viewing angles are much better. I don't understand why people say the viewing angles on the Xperia Z were fine, but when you compare it to the Ultra Z, its just horrible. Sadly, the screen on my Lumia 920 has better color richness and viewing angles compared to the Xperia Z Ultra. The interface on the Lumia 920 pops out more, but where the Xperia Z Ultra has an advantage is viewing movies and games. Movies look awesome on it and decent on the Lumia 920. But I did notice photos looked much better on the Lumia 920 then the Xperia Z Ultra. Strange.

After reading all the media hype from Sony about X Reality, I was impressed but experiencing it really let me down. I feel the XReality engine is a gimmick and didn't see a significant improvement over the Bravia 2 engine. Actually, the Ultra Z came installed with Bravia 2 before the X Reality update. Low grade You Tube videos and movies still looked bad but with saturated colors that made it appear unnatural. Photos on the Lumia 920 still looked much better compared to the XReality processed photos of the Ultra Z.

Another downfall of the screen is the sensitivity. Its just too much. Even getting a few drops of water on the screen causes the phone to behave erratically. I don't understand some claims that this phone can take photos underwater. The phone will not operate properly if there's water on the screen!!! I will give a thumbs up to the Xperia Z since it can still be operated with the screen wet.

Viewing this device in sunlight is adequate. Its not as great as some media sources claim it to be. (I live in Hawaii where's it bright and constantly sunny)

Connectivity and Interface:

I will gladly mention this phone is extremely fast. Whether using Wifi, playing games, watching movies, or multitasking with numerous apps, there was never any lag or freezing. Opening web pages and interacting with the GUI was smooth and very efficient. I was very surprised at Sony's decision of using the new Snapdragon 800 and feel it's the best part of this phone.

Internal storage is extremely limited since its only 16GB and I quickly consumed 90% of it. An external SD card is highly recommended. Its too bad games cant be saved to the external drive since this will alleviate the small internal storage capacity.

Yes, the phone still suffers from overheating, but it takes about an hour or more of web browsing or gaming to notice it. But this is the fault of a powerful processor in a thin body next to a large battery. Not much can be done about it.

The battery drains quickly as well due to the processor and screen.(Even when its turned down to its lowest setting) With constant web browsing and playing games, I can get the battery level down to 10% within a few hours. However, stamina mode is a big place and is very efficient in extending the battery life.

Sound:

External sound is okay but due to the waterproofing of the speaker, it doesn't get very loud. Internal audio through headphones is crisp and clear and having an equalizer is great for fine tuning the sound.

Camera:

The front and rear camera is another weak point on the phone. Lack of flash and problems with sharpness and color are the major gripes I have. However I wasn't satisfied with the Xperia Z's camera performance either since I used the Lumia 920 before it. (Excellent low light and brightly lit daytime photos.)For both Xperia's I noticed photos had blurry edges, sometimes washed out in low light, and the colors were unnatural when viewed on my PC. However, photos were decent on bright days for both Xperias. The camera interface may be a bit overwhelming for some people due to the plethora of options. But I must say I lean more towards the Lumia 920's camera due to its simplistic interface, dedicated camera button and excellent low light shots and am being biased about the Xperia Z Ultra's camera.

Is the Xperia Z Ultra for the average smartphone user? In my opinion, no. Its more of a niche product for those interested in replacing their phone and tablet with an all in one device. If you spend more time viewing media, gaming and web interfacing and little time on phone calls, this is the perfect device for you. It is also too big for most people to handle comfortably as a phone, but does a fine job functioning as a mini tablet. I may have seem biased by comparing it to the Lumia 920, but Ive read too many reviews and comments which seem to exaggerate various aspects of the Ultra Z and don't represent what I have experienced. There are much better smartphones out there for the money, and unless your a die hard fan of Sony, I cant recommend this for the majority of smartphone users.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparison between Xperia Z and Xperia Z Ultra, October 25, 2013
Josh (Fairlawn, OH, United States) - See all my reviews
Personal background:
I've been using Samsung Galaxy notes (1, 2 and 3) for the past year.
Loved all 3, and just kept getting bigger, better, faster.

Tried a Sony Xperia Z (smaller phone) a couple of months ago, that was a mistake.
The screen was washed out, the battery was horrible, the speaker was weak, camera wasn't great. All of these
were good on the Notes 2 and 3 but Sony let me down.

I was hesitant to try the Xperia Z Ultra because of my experience with the original Xperia Z but I gave it a chance.

Z ULTRA:
LOVE IT! Sony vastly improved the battery life (lasts all day with heavy use), the screen is much better, more colors, more vivid. Speakerphone is not the loudest but it's much better than these other reviews would lead you to believe.

It is a fingerprint magnet, but very well built, beautiful design. These are my early thoughts on the phone as I've only had it for 2 days.

I'll update it later; if you have questions please just respond to my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow,,,,,, August 14, 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 (Unlocked Phone)
This is the best one,,,,, and it's just like ur home theater in ur pocket,,,,, value for money. Battery pretty owsam and every one having a look at this pice of art where ever I go,,,,, the best display ever I saw on a smart phone,,,,, it just like a tablet which you can put it in your pocket,,,,,

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, December 17, 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 (Unlocked Phone)
So the bad...camera low light is lame but I am a photographer so a camera phone is not my thing anyway. I would like to have a flash for flashlight use but oh well.
Battery non removable is the other bad thing.

The Goods...
BIG and awesome screen!
Snapdragon 800 top of the line performance.
The SONY interface feels very smooth, just like AOSP pretty much.
Water resistance.....great build quality.
Seriously, the best phone I have tried and I tried a Note 3 as well before going with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, October 12, 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 (Unlocked Phone)
Good mobile.. it has its flaws like no flash etc.
But its definitely the best in some aspects like for browsing, playing games, watching movies, etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 SmartPhone - White - 3G HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 (Unlocked Phone), December 27, 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 (Unlocked Phone)
Lasting battery (above average continuity in comparison to many other phones).
- Excellent price (considering the features above and the latest processor power available on market).
- Excellent supplier (no hassle lightening fast delivery in great packaging).

Finally a perfect device that replaces my iPhone 5, Samsung Mega 6.3 and iPad Mini all together. Really love it, hope that Sony continues offering future models of this series forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not 4g model but still a great phone!, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 (Unlocked Phone)
Make sure you know there is a 6802 model and a 6833 model. The 6833 is the 4G model, but that is basically the only difference. This is by far he best phone there is and the seller was nice enough to let me exchange mine for the 4G model since I was unaware of the difference at first because the Sony website does not explain the difference and shows the 6802 as having 4G. Otherwise a fantastic phone. Also, the data did not work with Simple so I switched to Metro, now it works great, this phone has so many awesome features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Phone, October 17, 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 (Unlocked Phone)
I absolutely like this new phone. The screen is big. I use it mostly for web and text messages. When the wifi and apps are in used, the battery seems to drain within 3 days. I like the familiar sony features. It's so easy to navigate and use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone for me so far. Or Phablet LOL, November 27, 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 (Unlocked Phone)
Best I've ever had. Hated the galaxy S3 and said I'd never use one again but this phone is on another level. Well done sony! Snappy, wonderful display, good design. Poor camera and a little too big tho.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›