Canon PowerShot SD800 IS 7.1MP Digital Elph Camera with 3.8x Wide Angle Image-Stabilized Optical Zoom
Used & New from: $58.88
Sony or canon? Which company has better point and shoot camera?
[UPDATED] asked by Saminder S. Bindra on June 7, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
votes
I originally bought the Sony W90 based on specs. My first one was defective. It took pictures, but only the pictures in very bright light were acceptable. I exchanged for another W90 and although better, it still had VERY high levels of noise even with flash. I returned that one and bought a Canon 800IS. The Canon has taken EXCELLENT pictures even in low light. The image stabilization works well and the pictures taken with ISO 1600 are about the same noise level as the sony at 400 and 800 ISO. At 800 ISO the Canon produces better pictures than the Sony at 100 ISO.

For my money...The Canon is better hands down.
J. S. Schlatter answered on June 10, 2007

A
votes
I've always been told to look at the manufacturer's background...
Canon are now and have always been in the camera business, while Sony is in the technology business.

From experience, I believe Canon makes the better camera for picture quality.
Amy Bishop answered on July 26, 2007

A
vote
I'm trying to decide whether to go with either the 800IS, 850IS, or the Sony DSC-T100.
I guess pic quality is the most important, and I usually trust Canon images above all others in this class....but I really love the size and design of the Sony, especially the sliding lens cover which powers it up. Anyone have an opinion?
A. Freeman answered on July 12, 2007

A
vote
I have the Sony T10 - I got it for the design and the unlimited in video mode, but I hate the sliding lens cover. It would slide off at a small touch in your purse and ppl who helped you take pictures would put their fingers on the camera lens :P Get the Canon!
Wendy Duong answered on August 2, 2007

A
vote
Interesting post about the Sony W90. I was thinking about it as it was cheaper. It isn't cheap enough to accept the problems you highlighted. I will buy a Canon.
Victor Healey answered on August 4, 2007

A
votes
Be careful of sliding lens covers. I have a Canon Powershot S40 that has a sliding lens cover that powers the camera up. The problem comes when something happens to that lens cover (mine is starting to break) and you can't power your camera any more.
klc_032567 answered on August 21, 2007
‹ Previous   1   Next ›