Customer Discussions > Portal 2 - Xbox 360 forum

Soooo, Valve, buddy, when are you gonna finish half-life 2 ep. 3?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2010 8:52:23 AM PST
Seriously, I'm as excited as the next guy about this game but how long have you left us hanging? It's like you have become a company of George R. R. Martin's. Finish the game already! It's awesome that you have all these other great games you are producing but finish half-life for us. It's not like you didn't sell the heck out of half-life 2.

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 10:47:35 PM PST
soren121 says:
This is Valve. The company that took 6 years to make Half-Life 2. The same company that developed Team Fortress 2 for 10 years without any news. Just consider yourself lucky that Half-Life wasn't invented by 3D Realms.

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 12:09:27 PM PST
K. Stacey says:
All good things come to those who can wait. Otherwise, you're going to end up with a Bioshock 2, or Call of Duty Franchise. And who wants that? You want a quality project, someone who puts time in because they enjoy what they do and enjoy the fact that YOU enjoy it, rather then just making the game to make money.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 5:37:39 AM PST
I would just like to see some proof that they are actually working on it. Just a teaser of some sort. Also, considering it has taken this long I'm kind of expecting it to be a full size($60) game. The first two episodes didn't take too long but were DLC size. They just haven't said anything about it for a long time and it seems like every time someone asks about it they just sort of shrug off the question with a "they'll get to it when they get to it" answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 7:49:14 AM PST
K. Stacey says:
Think of it this way. Valve has not announced any other project, have they? Non. And now that Portal 2 is completed (nearly) and shipping out very soon, they can focus their entire attention onto it. Why do you want a teaser anyway? It'll ruin it. Just like how on Martin's website, he loads up the first chapter of three POV's? No, thank you. Not going to read them. I'd rather he'd simply focus on finishing.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 12:03:59 PM PST
D. Vealey says:
I'm with Dustin on this one. We need something to show us that they're actually working on it instead of putting it on the back burner. Valve is pussyfooting around way too much. I respect devs who want to make sure their game is as awesome and polished as possible. But when an expansion was supposed to come out in X-mas of '07, there's no reason. The whole episodic content was supposed to shorten the wait or so Valve says.

Valve makes great and outstanding games, but my patience is wearing thin. Still no DLC for Team Fortress 2, still no word on episode 3, and so on.

There are plenty of devs who do what they say, do a fantastic job, and they do it all in a timely manner (Bioware, Bethesda, Gearbox, Volition, the list goes on).

Back in the day when good devs were hard to come by I'd cast my vote for K. Stacey. But enough with this shenanigans. Valve is quickly loosing fan support due to the fact they take forever to do anything.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 9:10:54 PM PST
K. Stacey says:
I'm not so sure about all that, Vealey. While HL (et al) and TF (et al) were no doubt excellent games, next time to play them, take a good long look around in the environment. HL and HL2 (and a little bit of Portal, as they're in the same world and use Source engines) were revolutionary in their graphics, and the way that the environment reacted to the player(s). Code like that takes time. Bioware (and Ubisoft, Sierra and the rest of the list) all make quality games with their code based off of HL and Halo (yes, Halo) with their own stories tossed in there. I have all respect for them (they have some quite fantastic games under their collective belt) but master takes time. And I suspect that the vast majority of their man power was set on Portal 2 and getting -that- out the door. I can't wait. ^.^

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 8:41:32 AM PST
I don't think a teaser would ruin it. They could just release 2 or 3 screenshots and that would be enough proof for me that they are working on it. Or they could release some information about it like length or whether or not they have made a whole new engine for it or some kind of data. I don't require any plot, video, or other revealing information. Just a tiny snippet. If they gave us a couple of screenshots I would be beside myself with excitement and very patient for the realease. It's just the fact that they haven't even said they are working on it that irks me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2011 5:18:59 PM PST
LordServbot says:
That's exactly what 3D Realms did a few years back for Duke Nukem Forever and look what happened.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 7:37:41 AM PST
gimli1357 says:
I agree that good things come to those who wait, but what do you mean by "You're going to end up with a Bioshock 2, or Call of Duty Franchise."? Bioshock 2 wasn't rushed at all, and it is a great game. I agree that Call of Duty games are rushed, repetitive, and not high quality, but I don't see what's so bad about Bioshock 2.

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 2:13:57 PM PST
K. Stacey says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 4:56:14 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 1:13:38 PM PST
I got a better idea, why don't they just make "Half-Life 3" instead of a episode 3 to half-life 2? Everybody wants a expansion-pack but not a whole chapter to the saga? REAL Fans would want a game not a expansion.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 1:15:03 PM PST
All I want is Gabe to just come out and say "Hey, we're working on it."

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 8:31:57 AM PST
For Gabe to come out and say "We're working on it" would mislead people to believe that "it" refers to Episode 3. However, Episode Three has most likely already been scrapped for a full game: Half-Life 3. I think Valve is going dark about it because they want to keep it a surprise that they're making a full game instead of just an episode, as rumored by GameInformer.

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 5:06:25 PM PST
D. Lynch says:
Kristopher Kesey nailed it. There is no way that Ep3 is still coming out as "Half-Life Episode 3." It's going to be "Half-Life 3" and we won't likely see it for a few years. And I honestly don't see it being made on the Source engine, as it is aging rapidly. Portal 2 looks amazing, yes, I admit, but my guess is that they're busy working on a new engine, or at least a "Source Engine 2.0" for Half-Life 3. Stop holding your breath for Ep3, people - you're going to pass out.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2011 8:09:40 AM PST
Too bad there still holding there breath.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2011 6:05:45 PM PST
Galapogos says:
"Half Life 3"...I get chills thinking about what you are proposing. It makes total sense at this point. Episode 3 would be anticlimactic, but HL3 would be such an awesome surprise.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2011 10:05:33 PM PST
Yeah, that's what I'm saying, it would be alot and totally awesome and better if they made Half-Life 3 instead of an episode 3, more awesome mods, a new better source engine, a bigger amazing story, H3LL YEAH! (lol half-life reference)

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 6:05:03 AM PST
I don't care if it is Half Life 3 or Half Life 2 episode 3. I just want them to finish the story.

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 6:31:42 PM PST
You are all really silly to say valve is losing support. Look at how well Steam is doing and how well Team Fortress 2 is still holding up (at least on the PC) there's over a thousand if tens of thousands users on daily and updates consistently going on. Don't make wild assumptions unless you have evidence to back it up other than yourself.

Valve is (unlike most companies) doing something awesome doing other games than the same thing every year (exception L4D2 which was still awesome) they are living evidence that if you are kind enough to gamers your company can thrive well enough. Especially if you make unique experiences (looking at you Activision).

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 2:07:38 PM PST
Tommy Rose says:
Valve announced last fall that Defense of the Ancients 2 is their next project. So????? I guess no Half Life for awhile. They are making so much money from Steam that I don't think they care much about making games anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 3:10:23 PM PST
Galapogos says:
I hope it's the opposite.

Valve is known for its industry leading quality standards, and I like to believe they are using all that Steam revenue to make HL3/HL2Ep3 the most unbelievably awesome, utterly incredible game ever coded. I can dream can't I?

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 7:00:52 AM PST
I am not at liberty to reveal my sources, but Valve knows that HL3 is going to take a hell of a long time to make, theyve been working on it since before HL2 was released, developing an incredible storyline and the best graphics around. So, they want to completely satisfy you with EP3, it will likely be longer than EP1 and EP2 combined, and with such an amazing storyline in HL2, they wanted to make sure they created a fittingly amazing conclusion. Not that the adventure is over

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 7:51:11 AM PST
Valve is doing great with there games, I hope Portal 2 is going to be like a "Game of the year" or somethin' like a best game of the year, like Halo Reach or Black Ops.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Portal 2 - Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Portal 2 - Xbox 360
Portal 2 - Xbox 360 by Valve (Xbox 360)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (639)