Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Size: 10 D(M) USColor: BoulderChange

on January 22, 2012
Hi Folks, I did this review to show the failure of where the leather meets the rubber sole. I was really happy with them up to this point. I would recommend them if you aren't concerned about this happening eventually. Up until the seem broke apart I adored these boots! bummer.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2009
These boots (Sorel Conquest) are awesome! Yes, if you stand around for a hours, not moving your feet, they will get a little cold. But so far I have worn them to -38 degree weather for about 5 hours while I was hunting here in Alaska. My feet were on fire and sweaty by the time I get them off. And that's wearing boot socks, not thick winter socks. After 17 years in the military I thought I wouldn't EVER wear anything but Danner's on my feet, but I have to hand it to Sorel with these boots. So far they are awesome. I tell everyone that ask about them, if they like there feet to be warm and toasty when it's cold outside they should buy them. And trust me, here around Fairbanks we know what cold is! (-40 to -60)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2010
I picked up my Sorel Conquests about 5 years ago, when I started working as a skilift mechanic at a small mountain in NH. On a typical day I started by checking the lift lines around 0630, spent the entire day either walking or snowmobiling around the mountain, and finished up between 2100 and 2300 by tightening up loose J-bars. I only did that job for one winter, but since then I've worn them for winter hiking, camping, snow shoveling, 4-wheelin', plowing snow, and just getting around in New England winters. These are the boots I WISH I could have worn while stationed in Korea and Germany in the army - they're comfortable, warm, waterproof, and rugged, all things generally lacking in army issued footwear. It's time to start wearing them for winter #6 (the same pair), and I have absolutely no doubts they'll serve as well as they have in the past. Where I lived in NH temps of -20F to -30F weren't uncommon, and my feet never got cold in these boots even when I stood still for extended periods of time.

These boots require minimal care, but the most important things to do are: 1) Buy a Peet Shoe Dryer and put the boots on them every night. The next morning your boots will be dry and toasty warm, which is really a great thing. 2) Apply beeswax to the leather about every 2 weeks. Just warm up the boots in front of a space heater and work the beeswax in with your fingers - don't be afraid to really slather it on, and pay special attention to the areas around the eyelets and seams.

Some of the reviewers complained about the lack of a speed lacing system, but the problem with speed laces is after a while the lower laces just don't tighten up. With these the best method is to loosen the laces all the way down to the bottom, stick your foot in, then tighten each individual set of eyelets to where it's snug but not tight. For the first 2 or 3 days you'll be experimenting because you'll either have them too loose or too tight somewhere, and the boots will be fitting themselves to your feet and walking style. Remember, these boots are made to be put on and not taken off for some time - if you're in and out of the house 3 or 4 times a day, the 3 or 4 minutes it takes to properly lace these boots for maximum comfort is going to seem a bit much. Leave the Achilles strap loose til the boots are broken in, or else the buckle will rub your ankle bone raw through the leather. I personally like to tighten mine maybe 1/4" after all slack is taken out. Wear a good set of thick wool socks with these - I like Wigwam Merino Wool socks personally, but Smartwool is great too.

All in all, I don't think I've ever gotten more for 100 bucks than I did with these boots. The only real con is I wish they weren't made in China.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have a size 15 foot, so I'm typically not very picky when it comes to shoes. This boot, however, seemed to be lacking because it seems to focus more on looks than function - and looks are the last thing I care about when I'm clomping around in the woods on a cold/wet/snowy day:).

Even though they didn't work out for me, I do think these boots look pretty nice. They also seem like they would be fairly warm; although, I sent them back before I wore them in really cold weather.

Here are the main problems I had with these boots:
1) They are a major pain to lace up. There are no speed-lace hooks which makes it really hard to get these laced up tight. If you just want to pull them on and off quickly, they will feel more like a snow/PAC boot - which is fine if that's what you are looking for.
2) The achilles adjustment strap helps to overcome the crummy lacing system, but the clips feel extremely cheap. I suspect the clips wouldn't last long before breaking if you tighten them up enough to be useful.
3) The barrel lock closure actually seems like a great idea on a boot like this. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it even close to tightening up enough to keep moisture out - the best I could do was a 1/2" gap all the way around (at least for my skinny legs:)).

After trying these boots out, I decided to go with the Columbia Bugaboot for about the same price. Those don't look as cool, but they sure do work better since I can lace them up quickly and then take off hiking. The Columbia boots also have 50% more insulation (600g vs 400g), yet fit more like a hiking boot rather than a snow boot.

Overall, I guess I'd have to recommend these with reservations. For occasional use while shoveling the driveway they would work great - but if you plan to take them into the woods I would look elsewhere.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2010
I purchased these about three years ago and walk in them mostly.They have split at the seam between the leather and the rubber.They were sized properly,but the design is poor,and if you flex them much,the seams come apart. Too bad,because they were a nice boot for 1 year.The second year,they started to split and this year they are not useable and have been replaced.I was hoping they might have redesigned them,but it appears they are the same construction.I will choose a different design of waterproof boot.If you are active in your boots,look for a different model.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2014
After attempting to shoe-glue for the 3rd time a wide crack between the upper and lower sections of an older pair of boots manufactured by Columbia (which is now the parent company of Sorel) I was determined to invest in a good pair of boots from the well-known top brand Sorel. I thought the Conquest boots would provide my feet many years of warmth and comfort. Unfortunately they did neither. From the onset, both boots 'buckled' and pinched the top of my feet. I thought maybe they needed to be broken in, the laced adjusted or maybe some sort of leather treatment would help - nope.
After wearing them maybe 10-15 times, they began to crack at the seam where the upper leather meets the synthetic lower part of the boot - So I'm in the same situation less than a year later!
I bought a pair of used *15 year old* winter boots, made in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA, that will last another 15 years but, unfortunately, after much searching there is almost zero selection of non-imported winter hiking boots.
So I’m sending the Conquest's back, requesting replacement with a better quality boot made domestically - or a full refund. I will update this review upon further developments.
review image
on December 5, 2011
I recently purchased these boots based on the fact that I already had already owned a pair for 6 years and know them to be of excellent quality. My first pair, which I purchased in Canada(where I live), were fantastic. They cost $199,and I would have to say are the best winter boots I`ve ever owned. They were super comfy right from day one and were obviously of high quality. They have proven themselves well over six years, but have now seperated at the seam where the rubber bottom meets the leather(rubber split at stitching), although the rest of the boot could easily last six more years.

So when I saw these boots for $110 I ordered them immediately, thinking what a great deal, even with the shipping and import fees.But when I received them and tried them on I was highly disappointed. Right away I noticed a hard lump pressing on my foot from the rightside seam of the left boot. Upon taking a few steps I could tell that something was wrong. They felt crooked or lopsided, and quite uncomfortable. I removed the boots and upon closer inspection I could see that the soles were not attached to the boot squarely, but were canted off center toward the outside of the boot. I could see the right boot was only slightly off, but the left boot was not even close to being straight. I decided to do a side by side comparison with my old boots and the defect became even more prominent(my old boots are dead straight, ie: rubber ridges above sole are same height on both sides of boot, sole appears straight in line with the boot shaft, and SOREL label is parallel to bottom of sole). This prompted me to look at the manufacturing label, new pair made in China, old pair made in Vietnam. I don`t know if this is why the boots appear poorly made, or if it is just this pair that is like this.

I am looking into returning these, as they are definately too uncomfortable to wear, however as I am in Canada I have to pay the shipping in order to return the boots, and it has already cost me $24 for shipping here and $29 for import fees. If I have to pay return shipping, total costs will be almost the cost of the boots!

So to sum it up, it`s not a very good deal after all. I`m not happy at all with this product, and am very disappointed with Sorel.(My family and I have also owned many other Sorel boots, and have never had an issue). I guess I will shoe goo my old boots back together and keep using them.
on February 11, 2008
Sizing: Feels half size too small
Pros:Comfortable, Durable, Great Traction, Non-slip sole, Stable, Warm, Water Resistant
Best Uses:Backcountry, Cold weather, Day hikes, Everyday, Stadium, Wet Weather

This is a great cold weather boot. Wear them for winter hiking, camping, or to a cold football game. There is a shorter, lighter, but not quite as warm version, the Sorel Timberwolf. Of course you should apply waterproofing to any boot such as Niwax. Finally, warm boots won't help if you do not layer with good long underwear and hat or balaclava.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2007
The looks and comfort of this boot have not disappointed and I suspect they will give me good service - However the manufacturers state the boot will keep your feet warm to -40deg. I have so far worn them in temperatures around +3deg and my feet were not particularly warm when standing in one place for any length of time. I fear that in temperatures much below this my feet will feel decidedly cold in these boots. I live in the UK where winters are not particularly harsh and hoped if I bought a boot I thought was designed for much harsher climates I could not go wrong, I have my doubts. I use my boots mostly to go fishing in so am stationary for long periods. If you are on the move quite a lot then that may make a considerable difference.

So in summary:-

Strong rugged *****

Waterproof *****

Comfort walking *****

Comfort warmth (The main reason I bought the boot) **
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2009
poor construction the seams where rubber is suppose to be bonded to each other came apart and allowed water to enter. at the outer upper front outside toes and under the soul section.