Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sorel Women's Caribou Boot
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Price:$64.99 - $159.99

on October 10, 2007
These 10" high winter boots set the standard for basic cold weather boots in snowy conditions. They're probably the boot most commonly worn by locals in snowy Western mountain towns.

But be advised they do not have a lot of lateral stability in the sole of the boot. That is to say, the rubber bottoms tend to twist sideways making them, in my opinion, unsuitable for anything other around town use and possibly some work situations. The twisting motion makes traveling off beaten paths, especially climbing hills or side hilling, more difficult and tiring. My seven year old (Canadian made) Sorel Caribou models have somewhat thicker and probably more water resistant leather uppers, but the current (Chinese made) Sorels seem to have more advanced combination synthetic and wool felt liners and apparently much-needed additional underfoot insulation.

These boots have a cool look with the faux shearling collars but their relatively modest height means you will need to wear gaiters to keep out snow if you leave beaten paths. Felt lined pacs are typically the warmest boots for the bucks and the liners can be taken out to dry. I've washed my Sorel liners on gentle cycle using wool-friendly soap with excellent results and spraying some Armorall (used to perk up rubber and plastic in cars) on the rubber bottoms keeps them looking great as well.

Recommended to anyone who wants a warm, foolproof, traditional looking boot to wear in around-town or to cold weather outdoor events, keep in the car for emergencies and possibly wear to work or riding snow machines in really cold weather.
0Comment| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2009
ordered the Caribou-Elderberry [5m].....my true size is 6 1/2 [running shoe 7]...after reading reviews on a few sites. 80% of the women reviewing said they ordered 1/2 to 1 full size smaller was best. And though i haven't had the chance to wear these in snow YET, the 5m DID in fact fit me perfectly - with my SmartWool PhD Ski Medium socks on!! Was snug but had room for my toes to wiggle around - and i have a wide foot where my toes are. the boot is bulky so if you go true to size......they'd definitely look HUGE on you. i think the trick is.....if you have a "fuller" foot [not in length but girth/width] in whatever size you fit, consider just going to the next SMALLER size [Sorel Caribou don't come in 1/2 sizes]...so if you're 6 1/2 go down to a 6............this will still give you LOTS of wiggle room and probably allow you to wear super thick socks. otherwise, if you've got an average to slender foot, might want to try a full size smaller................... Boot construction - well made....and they look so cute on.
11 comment| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2009
We just ordered a pair for my wife because she likes my 10-yr.-old pair so much. The new ones look about the same but as soon as you put them on you realize that they are not the same. The details in the construction are not there. The materials are not as robust. Some reviewers already commented on the new boots' lack of durability. My 10-yr.-old pair were "hand made in Canada" and the new ones are made in China. I doubt the new pair will look as good as mine in 10 years.

I read on-line that Columbia Sports wear bought the brand name and closed the Canadian factory. The new ones cost just as much as the old Canadian ones but Sorel now advertise in Vogue!!! It is sad that Columbia closed up the original factory and move the business overseas.
1212 comments| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2016
Warm boot with good traction. Good for doing various work outdoors in the snow such as shoveling the driveway. I have found them to run large, attached are pictures comparing a size 8.5 Caribou with a size 9 Sorel Cumberland II Sorel Women's Cumberland NL1436 Boot,Black,8 M. From the pictures, you can see that the Caribou seem bigger compared to the size 9 Cumberland. The Caribous do come with a removable liner, which the Cumberland do not. I think this makes them seem bigger than they appear from the outside; however, I do think the 8.5 feel a little larger on my foot compared to the size 9 Cumberland.
review image review image review image review image
on February 2, 2011
I just moved to NYC, and after our first blizzard, I realized I needed snow boots. I browsed, read the reviews, and decided on these boots. This was one of the best decisions of my life! These boots are warm! I can step in any puddle, in any snow embankment, and even walk across an inch of ice. I highly recommend them!
on January 11, 2015
Love, love, love my new boots! They came just in time for this week's snow storm. They kept my feet VERY warm while shoveling in 7 degree F weather. I normally wear a 7 1/2 so I tried on a size 7 at DSW thinking they would fit (based on what other reviewers mentioned about the sizing ). The 7 was too tight & the 7 1/2 fits perfect.
on March 6, 2015
What happened to Sorel? I used to wear these growing up in Alaska they were warm comfortable and DURABLE. Well I bought a pair two years ago and they are still warm and comfortable but are not very durable. After two years of occasional wear the sides have split open and now are useless. Sorel's warranty is only for a year so these are now in the garbage. I have a friend that has a pair from 1978 that are still going strong,now they are made in China and are not worth the money...these new ones are junk.
on January 16, 2016
I wear an 8 1/2-9 shoe and I read reviews and most were saying they were too big- SOOOOO I bought a size 8 1/2 instead of a 9 and they are too small. I have a skinny foot and the width seemed fine it was the length, where my toes were hitting! So, I'd say go with your normal shoe size…meaning in sandals I size an 8 1/2 but in boots etc. I size a 9 and these were definitely needed in a 9. So needless to say they are going back for a size 9. As far as being "clunky", they are thick snow boots- they are for long snow play and therefore need more of the 'clunkiness" to accommodate my feet from freezing….if you need a casual walk around a cold light snow town boot then I recommend a different SOREL boot... So it's up to you? I love these and they will keep my feet warm and therefore will keep the 9 when they come!
on February 26, 2016
LOVE these boots. I spent a couple of weeks in Yellowstone last winter and noticed the park rangers were wearing them, so I figured they must be warm. Yep, they're warm all right -- and comfortable. The day I received them I took the dogs out for a two-mile walk. Perfectly comfortable. These are serious boots, so be prepared: they're heavy. They need to be. Also, while they are great winter boots, they are not great out-of-the-box for trekking through deep snow. For that, you'll need gaiters or snow boots.

Re: the fit -- I'd been hesitant to order these online; I was concerned about fit. Turned out they were perfect. I wear a size 8, and L.L.Beans boots in size 8 fit also fine, so the sizing in the two boots, at least in my experience, is comparable. All-in-all, couldn't be more pleased.
on March 22, 2016
I love them, but I wear a 6.5 or 7 normally. Reading the reviews I ordered a 6 and I'm glad I did. They are a perfect fit any smaller and they would be too small. They are a little hard to pull your foot into. They are much more clunky then I thought, but I got them to wear in the snow for hours. Deep snow. I need to keep up with a 5 year old playing for hours in the snow. They kept my feet perfectly warm and comfortable. Not something to wear around for style. Little disapointed that I can not wear them around the town. Definitely for functionality.