5.0 out of 5 stars Sorels are the best!
This review is to dispel some of the unnecessary negative comments regarding Sorel boots and particularly the Joan of Artic.

Published 21 months ago by Luv2bholm

1.0 out of 5 stars Cute but High Maintenance. And Kinda Painful.
I was really enthusiastic about this boot after reading all the positive reviews & the few extremely negative reviews were from grumpy people who hated life. As it turns out I was wrong. I'm usually a fan of brevity, but the many problems I've experienced with these boots have created a longer review than I would have liked.

I live in a cold climate. We get...
Published on February 6, 2011 by Heather

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorels are the best!, February 21, 2013

Let me set the record strait for all of you fashion boot people. Sorels are SNOW BOOTS. They will not fit like fashion boots. They aren't designed to hold onto your heel tightly. They are designed to fit more like a cowboy boot. There will be a natural slip in the heel. That being said, I wouldn't say that they are the most comfortable boot to walk in for extended periods of time, but I'd trade a little slip in the heel any day for warm dry feet. You just need to get used to their fit. Years ago I sold shoes professionally and also bought my own pair of Sorels. They are 16 years old and still look great and, although in slight need of a new liner, function just as well as the day I bought them. In addition, they are the best boots I have ever had and they are the warmest boots I have ever owned.

I bought the Joan of arctic boots because I couldn't find my old trusty sorels. They become lost in the attic... I found them too late. The others were already in the mail. I wasn't willing to go without a pair of Sorels in our snowy climate. I must say that I was skeptical of the quality as they are now made in China instead of Canada. Well, I know quality when I see it and these Joan of Artic boots seem just as well made as my others that are 16 years old.

THE FIT: Well, they are a bit more generous than my previous sorels. I am a true 8 and these fit perfect in length ( a tad longer than my previous). However, they are wide. My foot isn't narrow, but it's not exactly wide either. So, for those with narrow feet, these boots would be swimming on you. For those who like them and want to compensate for the extra room, take an extra insole or some hemp material and sew yourself some extra padding to take up some of the extra room. Place the padding underneath the liner or sew or glue it to the bottom of the liner so it doesn't shift.

We live in snow country up in the Northeast. And the boots are warm. I would know. Some people put too many layers on their feet. It only traps in the coldness or the sweat from their feet. I don't have sweaty feet. I wear one pair of warm socks and it's adequate. If you are standing in a snowbank for three hours, like anything, you will eventually become cold. If you're moving around, you're not going to be cold. If you are, then you need to see a doctor because you either have poor circulation or Raynaud's disease.

These particular boots I would not recommend for the elderly. They are too heavy. Most sorels are heavier, but I would suggest choosing a shorter sorel to eliminate the extra weight and bulk for someone who is elderly.

The traction of these boots is just like any other boot. If you expect them to grip onto the ice, well, then I challenge you to find any other "snow boot" that will do that. Come on, People? Do you expect the tires on your car to grip the ice?

My only minor downside to these new sorels is the lace. It is a nice quality lace, but it's very slick and a bit tough to tighten the boots to my desired tightness. I did manage to do it, but I wonder if they cold make the lace a little less slick.

Sorel, as always, keep up the good work. Your boots are incredible and I will always be a loyal customer to a company who serves quality. Sorels are worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots, March 2, 2010
I just returned from a ski trip and these boots were great. They were brand new but very comfy and kept my feet warm in absolute blizzard conditions. The big decision seems to be sizing. I am always an 8 and never vary from that, but I took the advise of reviews and ordered down to a 7. The 7 fit but my toes were touching the end of the shoe and I was afraid it would rub if I wore them for any time. The 7 also rubbed the back of my heel. I had to go elsewhere to find an 8 (sold out)and that one fit great. I didn't find it run big at all. I was able to wear one thin pair of socks and one very thick wool pair with comfort. The larger size also didn't rub my heel either. I think the thick socks helped and I did use some band-aids to play it safe but I wore them very long and no problems what so ever. For me, I found they fit true to size with enough extra room to fit thick socks. I also was able to get my pants and underlayer tucked into them with comfort. For those pondering size, the only advice I can give on sizing is to just order both and keep the one that fits best since you will probably have these for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars warm & grt fit IF you wear them right! Read here:, January 3, 2014
Hi ladies! Loved the look of these boots so much but was scared of negative reviews and price - so I did a little research. According to many skiing and outdoor activity websites, winter boots are SUPPOSED to fit loose. In order for feet to stay warm, snow boots should not fit snug like a shoe. So, the felt lining in these should be loose enough for a thick pair of socks and still not be snug. When people order a size down it contributes to their cold feet and complaints of back of boot digging into their heels. Order your real size and don't expect them to fit like a fashion boot.
By the way, these boots DO run in half-sizes. I own Joan of Arctics in 9.5

The second important thing I learned is that COTTON SOCKS MAKE YOUR FEET COLDER! You are better off wearing bare feet in boots rather than cotton (due to the way they retain moisture). Invest in a heavyweight pair of wool socks (which wick away moisture) end NEVER LAYER your socks. Layering makes your feet colder due to breathability issues.

Finally, keep your core warm because when you body is cold, blood leaves the extremities. You DO want to layer your body. Thermal underwear or a mesh base layer, a loose fleece layer over that, etc.
I received my boots and followed these techniques with great results. My boots are VERY comfortable. It is a blustery 10° today and I spent many hours outside to test the product. If I was just standing there my feet were warm!- unless I was just standing there ON packed snow for a while. On packed snow or ice, you'll need to move around every once in a while to keep blood circulating. Warmed right back up! Took dog for a walk and my feet felt great.
Only boot I've heard of that you can literally just stand there without movement on packed snow or ice without feet getting cold are those "mickey mouse boots." They are not cute but if extreme warmth is your ultimate goal, these are what they wear in Alaska, or what serious ice fishers put on, etc.
Hope this helped!

By the way... some things I forgot to mention. It is also very important to have warm feet before putting boots on (ANY boots). So if you have cold feet from walking around on hardwood floor, etc, they are going to stay cold outside. This is particularly true with well-insulated boots/socks. They will actually insulate cold in. -& never "clinch" your toes in boots. Wiggle them once in a while to stimulate blood circulation, but clinching them up has the opposite effect.

It can be hard to find heavyweight wool socks for women in stores (I have only found mid or lightweight wool in stores). I found great heavyweight wool socks for women by Carhartt from amazon. Work great paired with boots!

We have had -20 degree weather where I live this winter. & mind you, I am not outside long during this temperature, but when I am for a quick shovel, my feet are the warmest part of me in my Sorels.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cute but High Maintenance. And Kinda Painful., February 6, 2011

I live in a cold climate. We get lots of snow & I live & work in an area where I have to do a lot of walking. I wanted a fun looking boot that would keep my feet warm & dry even in deep snow. These boots are incredibly cute & very warm. Walking in these boots takes some getting used to. They take a while to break in. But beyond that, there are major structural flaws in the boot. That said, I'm doubtful I'll buy Sorels again.

The main plus about these boots is that they run big. I wear a 10.5 which no one makes. I bought the 10 & it was a good fit.

There is a removable felt liner in the shoe that is very warm. I'm not a sweaty person but as the boots are waterproof and VERY warm I cannot wear them inside without having the shoes get flooded with sweat. I have to remove the felt liner every night or the boots never dry out & will we cold and soggy the next morning.

Afore mentioned felt liner is extremely rigid. As mentioned in other reviews, these boots are really roomy between top of the heel & bottom of the calf. This roomy bit will rub against your leg when you move & until you break the boots in it will give you rug-burn. One day my socks got all bunched up & they rubbed against the back of my leg until they cut me. After that I was careful to always wear leggings or something thicker under them. Walking is my main form of transportation and it seriously took me about 3 weeks to break these in.

The boots have a pretty thin sole & are not supportive at all. I bought some insoles for support which makes them more comfortable to walk in but makes the felt liner more difficult to take out. I have never had foot problems in my life, but experience a ton of foot pain from walking in these without insoles. The tread/traction isn't the greatest. After 6 weeks of owning these the treads show significant wear. I'm usually able to get about 2 full winters of use out of winter boots. These ones will probably make it through the end of this winter. But I'm not sure there'll be any tread left by this time next year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent boots - but they run large., December 27, 2009
I love these boots, they are warm, comfortable and still look great after trudging through a snowdrift or slushy street. The only reason they are not 5 stars is that the fit seems to run large. I wear a 6.5 - 7 normally, and wear a 6 in this boot, even with thick socks. I would suggest sizing down when you purchase a pair.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cuts Into Ankle, March 3, 2010
I am so surprised to see all these good reviews for this product. It is a bit stiff and fits like a ski boot. However, there is a plastic casing inside which have cut into the back of my ankles badly. These boots hurt!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fashion Boot, NOT for snowy/icy weather!, January 7, 2011
If your looking for a cute Furry, Fun, Fashion boot to wear with slim jeans, these will work. If you want a pair of boots that look good and actually work well in cold, snowy, icy weather, choose another boot. They look great with your jeans tucked in or a pair of Apres Ski pants, but they're not very warm, the soles are thin (makes for cold feet), and the tread is worthless on ice. After slipping on patchy ice more than once, I bought a pair of Yak Traks so I could use them this winter. For those of you with wide feet, these seem to run wide. The felt liner is very thin, and they need a rear loops on the back to make them easier to put on with jeans. I'm very disappointed in these boots, Sorel used to make real boots for real outdoor people. It appears Sorel is headed more for the fashion runway then the snowy, icy, cold, Canadian winters where they once originated...

4.0 out of 5 stars Womens Sorels, February 21, 2010
Just happened to purchase these for the wife right before the big East Coast snow this winter. She loved them. Kept her feet warm & dry. She has to take her dog for a walk mutiple times a day regardless of the snow. Good traction, warm and dry. I have owned the same set of Sorel's for the last 15 years and I beleive they're good for another 15 years. Good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars These boots saved my feet, January 27, 2014
In the past, I have purchased "snow boots" more for fashion than function and thus my feet were always cold or wet or both. After a lot of online searching, and reading reviews, I finally settled on these. They are definitely functional but they also look quite cute with my parka that happens to have a matching faux-fur lined hood. I live in Philadelphia but frequently travel home to Chicago and between both locations we have had a lot of snow this year. I have worn these in waist high snow (to check my parent's hot tub after a large storm) and no snow has ever gotten down into the shoe. My feet have remained warm even when shoveling out my aunt's car when the wind chill was -30 degrees. It took me about four days of wearing to break them in. I saw some people complaining about a hard piece that digs in to their calves - I had that problem in my first couple wears, but after breaking them in, I no longer feel it. Just as a note, I read another review on the Sorel site in which the person suggested that the piece does not bother them because they are on the taller side. I myself am 5'6" but with long-ish legs, so pretty average, and it does not bother me. I love these boots and bottom line, I will never go back to the "fashionable snow boots" of the past.

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible...which makes me sad, November 8, 2013
These boots are beautiful...but the sizes are whack- way too big even with double snow socks. The foot area is big and then the ankle area is also big making a "cankle" affect and causing the boot to bend in a very uncomfortable way while walking. I was quite ill when these arrived and it was too late for me to return them which was very disheartening. The ankle area would be better if the boot tapered down...but it's one straight shaft and thus...cankle affect. Sure is pretty tolook at, though