Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Size: 9 B(M) US|Color: Shale|Change
Price:$134.95+ Free shipping

on January 3, 2014
Hi ladies! Loved the look of these boots so much but was scared of negative reviews and price - so I did a little research. According to many skiing and outdoor activity websites, winter boots are SUPPOSED to fit loose. In order for feet to stay warm, snow boots should not fit snug like a shoe. So, the felt lining in these should be loose enough for a thick pair of socks and still not be snug. When people order a size down it contributes to their cold feet and complaints of back of boot digging into their heels. Order your real size and don't expect them to fit like a fashion boot.
By the way, these boots DO run in half-sizes. I own Joan of Arctics in 9.5

The second important thing I learned is that COTTON SOCKS MAKE YOUR FEET COLDER! You are better off wearing bare feet in boots rather than cotton (due to the way they retain moisture). Invest in a heavyweight pair of wool socks (which wick away moisture) end NEVER LAYER your socks. Layering makes your feet colder due to breathability issues.

Finally, keep your core warm because when you body is cold, blood leaves the extremities. You DO want to layer your body. Thermal underwear or a mesh base layer, a loose fleece layer over that, etc.
I received my boots and followed these techniques with great results. My boots are VERY comfortable. It is a blustery 10° today and I spent many hours outside to test the product. If I was just standing there my feet were warm!- unless I was just standing there ON packed snow for a while. On packed snow or ice, you'll need to move around every once in a while to keep blood circulating. Warmed right back up! Took dog for a walk and my feet felt great.
Only boot I've heard of that you can literally just stand there without movement on packed snow or ice without feet getting cold are those "mickey mouse boots." They are not cute but if extreme warmth is your ultimate goal, these are what they wear in Alaska, or what serious ice fishers put on, etc.
Hope this helped!

By the way... some things I forgot to mention. It is also very important to have warm feet before putting boots on (ANY boots). So if you have cold feet from walking around on hardwood floor, etc, they are going to stay cold outside. This is particularly true with well-insulated boots/socks. They will actually insulate cold in. -& never "clinch" your toes in boots. Wiggle them once in a while to stimulate blood circulation, but clinching them up has the opposite effect.

It can be hard to find heavyweight wool socks for women in stores (I have only found mid or lightweight wool in stores). I found great heavyweight wool socks for women by Carhartt from amazon. Work great paired with boots!

We have had -20 degree weather where I live this winter. & mind you, I am not outside long during this temperature, but when I am for a quick shovel, my feet are the warmest part of me in my Sorels.
99 comments|557 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2013
This review is to dispel some of the unnecessary negative comments regarding Sorel boots and particularly the Joan of Artic.

Let me set the record strait for all of you fashion boot people. Sorels are SNOW BOOTS. They will not fit like fashion boots. They aren't designed to hold onto your heel tightly. They are designed to fit more like a cowboy boot. There will be a natural slip in the heel. That being said, I wouldn't say that they are the most comfortable boot to walk in for extended periods of time, but I'd trade a little slip in the heel any day for warm dry feet. You just need to get used to their fit. Years ago I sold shoes professionally and also bought my own pair of Sorels. They are 16 years old and still look great and, although in slight need of a new liner, function just as well as the day I bought them. In addition, they are the best boots I have ever had and they are the warmest boots I have ever owned.

I bought the Joan of arctic boots because I couldn't find my old trusty sorels. They become lost in the attic... I found them too late. The others were already in the mail. I wasn't willing to go without a pair of Sorels in our snowy climate. I must say that I was skeptical of the quality as they are now made in China instead of Canada. Well, I know quality when I see it and these Joan of Artic boots seem just as well made as my others that are 16 years old.

THE FIT: Well, they are a bit more generous than my previous sorels. I am a true 8 and these fit perfect in length ( a tad longer than my previous). However, they are wide. My foot isn't narrow, but it's not exactly wide either. So, for those with narrow feet, these boots would be swimming on you. For those who like them and want to compensate for the extra room, take an extra insole or some hemp material and sew yourself some extra padding to take up some of the extra room. Place the padding underneath the liner or sew or glue it to the bottom of the liner so it doesn't shift.

We live in snow country up in the Northeast. And the boots are warm. I would know. Some people put too many layers on their feet. It only traps in the coldness or the sweat from their feet. I don't have sweaty feet. I wear one pair of warm socks and it's adequate. If you are standing in a snowbank for three hours, like anything, you will eventually become cold. If you're moving around, you're not going to be cold. If you are, then you need to see a doctor because you either have poor circulation or Raynaud's disease.

These particular boots I would not recommend for the elderly. They are too heavy. Most sorels are heavier, but I would suggest choosing a shorter sorel to eliminate the extra weight and bulk for someone who is elderly.

The traction of these boots is just like any other boot. If you expect them to grip onto the ice, well, then I challenge you to find any other "snow boot" that will do that. Come on, People? Do you expect the tires on your car to grip the ice?

My only minor downside to these new sorels is the lace. It is a nice quality lace, but it's very slick and a bit tough to tighten the boots to my desired tightness. I did manage to do it, but I wonder if they cold make the lace a little less slick.

Sorel, as always, keep up the good work. Your boots are incredible and I will always be a loyal customer to a company who serves quality. Sorels are worth every penny.
44 comments|406 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2015
Stylish and comfortable, but it's too bad the bottom of them wore out and I'm not even through one winter yet (it's 3-25-2015 and these were purchased in 10-2014.
review image
11 comment|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2015
I have peripheral neuropathy. My feet are sensitive to a painful extreme. A grain of sand in a shoe is very literally as irritating as a bee sting. These boots are smooth and comfortable inside. For me to use the word comfortable in reference to footwear is a rarity. Nearly everything hurts. These boots do not. In addition, I need a roomy toe box. Any pressure on my forefoot is intolerable. These boots have the room I need for my forefoot. With any footwear, I intentionally purchase a size larger than my correct size for that extra room. I measure at a U.S. size 8, but purchased a 9. The toe box is roomy, but not enough for me to wear a thick sock. These are smaller than I expected. However, I do not expect that I will need a thick sock. I absolutely must have a warm boot. If my feet get cold for any reason, my neuropathic pain escalates to 7 out of 10 on the pain scale and remains at this debilitating extreme for 8 hours or more and does not respond to my routine medication. In Iowa, temps can often be as low as the range for which these boots are rated, -25 F, -32 C. These boots keep my feet nicely warm. Today, it is only -9 F. I was out for about 45 minutes to clear snow. My feet never knew I was outside :) :) :) !! With this and the comfort, I hope these boots will last the rest of my life!! I'm SO happy, I had to come back to write this review. I'm happy with footwear! This 'never' happens! My only other comment is that these boots are stiff and heavy, as others have said. I expect this in a good quality, waterproof, warm winter boot, with emphasis on warm. I can easily accept the boot feeling to feel safely warm and protected from the cold and other hazards of winter weather and work. Though they feel sturdy, they certainly don't look like a clunky boot. In the black with red laces and with a slim outline, it's just plain fun to look this good without sacrificing the function I must have!! I just love these boots!!
on January 20, 2016
got my boots earlier then expected! They looked huge in the box but tried them on and I can see what people mean by they are big. They are padded inside so they look big but fit my feet perfectly, im 7.5 and ordered up a size 8 so I can wear thick socks with them. The padding inside is really thick and it is a lil loose in the ankle area but thats how snow boots are worn aren't they? I will update my review when I have had a chance to wear in some snow, chances are really soon as a Noreaster is heading to NYC soon. I was worried about my claves but the height and size make them perfect for normal or wide calves, they look really cute too!
on November 23, 2015
By the way, these boots DO run in half-sizes. I own Joan of Arctics in 9.5

The second important thing I learned is that COTTON SOCKS MAKE YOUR FEET COLDER! You are better off wearing bare feet in boots rather than cotton (due to the way they retain moisture). Invest in a heavyweight pair of wool socks (which wick away moisture) end NEVER LAYER your socks. Layering makes your feet colder due to breathabil... Read more
on January 18, 2016
I love the look of these boots, but after half a season of wearing them sparingly, the stitching on the back have already come loose. As you can see from the photos, these boots have not been worn much. I hope my pair were defective, otherwise I can't imagine how Sorel can charge so much for such terrible quality!
on May 29, 2015
As many other reviews have stated these rub on the back of the foot. I returned them for a larger size thinking that might help, but they still rub after wearing for 20 minutes.
on February 14, 2016
My husband purchased these for me for our Northern Michigan winter months. I was very hesitant on getting sorel joan of attics. By reviews on ankles bleeding, insulation, and sizing issues...I was ready to move on...but you don't know till you try! So happy I trusted my gut!
When I got them they seemed huge! (Keep in mind these are pack boots, they're heavily insulated and a bigger boot) At first they seemed tight with my thick socks but I decided to wear them around the house for an hour and they loosened up quite a bit!
They honestly fit like a glove! I ordered a size 10, when I usually wear a 9. No rubbing or sores on my ankle. My calf wasn't tight with the boot what so ever. I would recommend going up a size for comfort/room for thick socks tho. The rubber is thick and solid. Cold weather is not an issue...so insulated! And the lace loop holes weren't damaged, as I previously read.
Overall, I am super pleased with these. Our local ski shops want $190 so these were a steal and shipping was great! They look so good and today was a -30 winter day and my feet were so warm! So many compliments too! You won't be sorry you ordered these!
on January 16, 2014
I tend to be pretty frugal when it comes to purchases, and after convincing myself to fork out the cash on supposed good boots, I realized that this was my biggest waste of money yet. After wearing them for a month, my ankles started to get super torn up. It has gotten to the point where I am thinking about throwing these away, but I feel bad for spending $150 on them. If you are smart you will save your time money and go with something else.