Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

Size: 8 B(M) US|Color: Black|Change

on January 12, 2009
Because I suffer from severe Plantar Fasciitis in both feet I was sceptical about ordering any kind of footware via the internet.
I received a pair of Columbia boots for Christmas however I returned them because they lacked arch support.
After reading the reviews, I decided to give these Sorels a try.
I ordered a half size larger then I normally wear as I use a thin insole. These are wonderful boots. They are not big, clunky, heavy boots. My feet stay warm and dry but most important, to me, is these boots do not cause any foot pain.
The foot-bed is soft and offers excellent arch support.
I would recommend these boots to anyone who suffers from Plantar Fasciitis (or not).
I couldn't be more pleased!
0Comment|239 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2009
I had been eyeing these boots since last winter and now that we've had over 12" of snow already this winter and 40 degrees feels warm, I made sure these boots made it on my Christmas list. I am so happy! I chose the oyster color and it is a nice, stylish neutral (a soft grey with sort of an ice blue undertone to it).

Size-wise, I typically wear a size 8. However, after looking at their sizing chart (a must-do!) and also knowing I typically wear thicker socks in the winter that are difficult to squeeze into my size 8 shoes, I had my husband order me a size 9. I have worn them several times now with regular, non-bulky socks, and I feel like I do have some extra room for bulkier socks, but the extra room I gave myself doesn't feel like I'm swimming in the boots. I'm pretty confident that I ordered just the right size. I might have been able to go with a size 8.5, but I might not get my thicker socks in there as comfortably.

Additionally, these boots are very well constructed, feel light on my feet despite being a winter boot, and most important of all they keep my feet warm! Hallelujah! Seriously, my feet feel like frozen blocks of ice in the winter. Once I go outside my feet get cold and they stay cold for hours it seems. Not with these boots. My feet stay warm!

With regard to price, I've never paid more than $40 for a pair of winter boots (and all they ended up being were bulky weights that never kept my feet warm), but I've also never lived in this much snow, so I saw this as the time to make the investment. I have no doubts I'm going to get a ton of use out of these boots and be warm every single time!

The -only- adjustment I'm still getting used to with regard to these boots is driving with them. I don't typically wear boots at all, so I'm not used to any limited flexibility in my ankle. I do not feel that it's a hazard to drive with them - they're not bulky nor heavy - I just have to either loosen the laces or put a little more pressure to press down on the gas pedal. No issue pressing the brake pedal -- just flexing the ankle to press the gas pedal. Perhaps this will work itself out as I continue to break them in.

Also, all my prior winter boots were zip-up, but these lace up boots take no time at all. I slide my foot in, tuck my pant leg in (they're a great height), and pull the laces tight (they tighten up very smoothly with ease), and then tie 'em up. No fuss. It's also really nice that the tongue of the boot is constructed to keep snow out. That's a huge plus.

So, final conclusion, these are fabulous winter boots!
0Comment|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2011
I live in Boston... I bought these boots last year and rarely used them because we had a pretty snowless winter. As many know, this was definitely not the case this winter. I live in downtown Boston and walk everywhere, including about 3 miles to and from work every day.

Oh Sorel... even though this winter was horrific, you were the one shining light. You made sure my feet were dry, were warm, never a blister, always comfortable. You always made me feel safe even on the ice (which I hate more than words can say). I could tuck my pants in, toss on leg warmers if my legs were too cold, and voila. Snug as a bug in a rug. When I got to work, my feet were perfectly ready to slip into work-appropriate shoes, but on days I felt lazy, I was perfectly happy to continue to wear you.

And after this brutal winter, which I wore you pretty much every day for the past three months, you held up so well. I will use you again next year, though I'd be quite content to buy another pair just because you make me that happy.

Ahh, Sorel. Thank you thank you thank you!
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2008
I bought the Sorel Cumberland boots form Amazon just over a week ago. I live in New Zealand and spend as much time in the snow in winter as possible.
Firstly the delivery was fantastic. The boots went through 3 different countries before they got here and the whole process only took 5 days!
Secondly, the boots look great and are incredibly warm and comfortable. I was a little worrried about getting the size correct, but went to the Sorel website, measured my feet and worked out from the sizing graph which size to get. The fit is perfect.
Thank you Amazon and Backcountry I am truly impressed with your speed and service.
on February 21, 2009
Although it took me a couple days to break in my new pair of these boots, I soon realized that they were perfect for the cold and long winters in Michigan. I generally walk to and from work, about 1/2 mile everyday, and these were very comfortable and warm even in two feet of snow. The can be a little slippery when going in side on tile floors, but are great on ice and snow.
on December 12, 2010
Don't you believe the sizing charts; these run small (short) and narrow in the front toe area. This is especially bad, if you have arthritis or want to wear a thicker sock or a sock liner and sock. But even if these aren't concerns, these run small. I usually wear a 9 medium Sorel boot, but in these, even a 10 medium felt tight. They seem to have good traction in the snow; not so good on ice or slippery/wet floors. As typical for most lace-up boots currently on the market, the laces are fat and slippery, so they tend to come undone or loosen while walking. They are a real challenge to tie, as well. The liners are not removable and could be more generous. My feet were cold in minutes and there is no room for an additional insole for better insulation. These boots are fairly lightweight. There is some arch support, but not like a shoe. Sorel boots sure aren't what they used to be...
on January 22, 2012
My husband bought these for me two winters ago. Every time I wear them to go out in the snow to walk the dogs, I come back with wet socks. They seem to be seeping in through the bottom. The traction is great but useless if my feet are wet! I'm currently looking for a better boot.
on December 6, 2013
A few weeks ago, I ordered Sorel Women's Cumberland NL1436 Boot, Dark Tundra from Amazon. My last 2 pairs of winter boots were from Sorel, so I felt safe ordering online, even regarding sizing. I have two problems with the boots. First, without 2 pairs of socks, my heel slips up whenever I take a step. When I first tried them on upon arrival, I thought I just needed to tie them tighter. Now that we've had some snow and I've worn them for ten days or so, no matter how tight I tie them, my heel slips. Second, I am not happy with how cold my feet get (so wearing double socks actually helps with this problem as well). My old boots were wonderful in even the teens and we have not yet had temperatures below 25 degrees yet and my feet are cold. I contacted Sorel and they said I should have ordered a smaller size and offered to sell me replacement liners, despite the fact that the boots are rated to -20 degrees. They also kindly offered to look at them at their warranty hub, where I would ship my boots, at my expense, to decide whether it was a manufacturer's defect causing them to lose heat so quickly. All in all, I am disappointed in these boots and the indifferent customer service.
on October 16, 2009
I just received them yesterday so I'll just comment on fit and appearance. Based on reviews that said they ran a bit big I ordered size 9.5, I wear 9.5-10 depending on the manufacturer and I do think that 10 might have been a bit better. I'm not sure if they will stretch at all or not, but I'm wondering if they will be a bit cramped once I put on thick socks with them. I do like how they look, not nearly as bulky as my old Sorels (19 years old!) and the Oyster color is a nice neutral. Having somewhat larger sized feet than average I like to look for shoes that don't add more bulk and these fit the bill in that department. I will update my review later in the winter once I actually get some practical use out of them.
on February 2, 2011
I would return these boots except that my window for return expired 2 days ago! This is the first day it's been really cold here so I wore the boots and my feet are numb with cold. They are supposed to be rated for -25 degrees - it's 4 degrees where I live now and my feet are so cold I can't feel them. At -25 degrees I expect I have would suffer from frost bite! They run small so order a half-size larger. I wish I had ordered a full size larger so I could buy a snow boot liner to keep my feet warm. I don't recommend buying these boots. I wish I could return them!