5.0 out of 5 stars My husband and I were Wowwed
We've been following Seal for a number of years and we we're blown away by his renditions of old classics....like 'What's Goin On' and 'Love TKO' This is a great album to buy if you're over 45 and love great music!
Published 20 months ago by Sharon E Thompson

2.0 out of 5 stars Whirlpool.
Published on February 9, 2012 by Jason Stein

2.0 out of 5 stars Whirlpool., February 9, 2012
Jason Stein (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Soul 2 (Audio CD)
If you had told me in the summer of 1991, in the midst of listening to Seal's "Crazy" and his self-titled debut, that one day he would devolve into schmaltz I would have said fat chance. Yet, 20 years on, here is the nadir of Seal's career. His third dud recording in a row. This, and his previous two albums "Commitment" and "Soul" are void of anything interesting. It's as if Seal has been castrated, or an imposter put in his place--some robot on autopilot. His last good album was "System". Why? Well, Seal should always be surrounded by electronics--that's where he sounds best. Forget schmaltz master producer David Foster--I mean look what he did to Chicago in the 1980's. He killed a once great band dead with his balladry and sterile production values.

If Trevor Horn did much on "Soul 2" it's not evident. It feels like David Foster through and through. The only good thing about "Soul 2" is Seal's vocals. I particularly thought he handled "Ooh Baby Baby" and "What's Going On" extremely well in terms of how controlled his vocals were.

The problem here will be beaten to death--these cover versions do nothing. Why even make them? I mean, really? They are worthless. They do not even come close to the originals, and no one tried to do something unique with any of them. Cue Starbucks background music now. That's what Seal's music has become--a coaster to rest your coffee beverage on.

I don't like being so negative about an artist, but this irks me to no end. Seal was once a great artist and he has totally taken an about face with his career. I don't care how many copies he sells, the fact remains that his last three albums (this one included) have been utterly forgettable. I hope Seal reads his customers' reviews here, because he needs a kick in the pants. His next album better be good, or it's the end of his career. Perhaps his recent divorce will spark some passion and creativity and hopefully it will translate to his music.

I can't recommend any tracks here because they're all not worth listening to. So here it is, this is how "Soul 2" compares to Seal's previous work:

1991 Seal: Five Stars
1994 Seal: Five Stars
1998 Human Being: Five Stars
2001 Togetherland: (I guess we'll never know, will we?)
2003 IV: Four Stars
2007 System: Four Stars
2008 Soul: Two and a Half Stars
2010 Commitment: Three Stars
2011 Soul 2: Two Stars

3.0 out of 5 stars A safe, pleasant and a little too faithful re-creation of the originals., January 28, 2012
Miss Congeniality (Portobello, Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soul 2 (Audio CD)
On 2008's Soul, Seal went through the '60s soulbook with the assistance of producer David Foster.
For its 2011 sequel, Seal moves on a decade and brings in Trevor Horn to helm its 11 tracks (sometimes in conjunction with Foster and his cohort Jochem van der Saag), a result that perhaps freshens proceedings up a bit but doesn't change them markedly.
Soul 2 remains a faithful re-creation of classic soul, Horn applying a new coat of paint to the original arrangements, ensuring that this is a fresh, glistening environment for Seal.
The singer doesn't pop against this backdrop, he blends into his surroundings, sounding as immaculately tailored as the instrumentation, never pushing the tunes away from the melodies you know by heart.
While that might not make for especially compelling listening, it's certainly pleasant either as nostalgia or as high-end lifestyle music. S.T. Erlewine

Best tracks: "Love T.K.O", "Let's Stay Together", "I'll Be Around".

Essential Teddy Pendergrass
Baby Come to Me: Best of

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband and I were Wowwed, January 10, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously Wonderful!, May 19, 2012
This review is from: Soul 2 (Audio CD)
Seal has really found his strength in singing these classic R&B soul songs. I bought Soul 1 last year and just love it so much. I am overwhelmed with how ridiculously good Soul 2 is. It starts with "I'm Wishing On a Star",and as soon as you hear this song with Seal's smooth voice, you just stop in your tracks. It is so beautifully done. I love this CD so much I have now bought copies for two friends, and now I'm buying one to send to my sister. If you're wondering whether you should buy this CD, the answer is a big YES!!! I can't wait for Soul 3. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful gift idea, March 12, 2012
This review is from: Soul 2 (Audio CD)
I ordered this CD after reading a favorable review in a magazine. My husband loves the classic R&B and I gave this to him as a gift. He LOVES it. He listens to it in his truck and our gameroom. I would recommend Soul 2 to anyone that shares the love of a great talent doing some classics. Great listening.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Inevitable Return to The Soul Vault, March 1, 2012
This review is from: Soul 2 (Audio CD)
In the four years since Seal released his first "Soul" CD, it has quietly racked up over a half-million sales. That's a pretty good number in this day and age, and probably more that "6 Commitment" has sold since being released two years ago. Like Michale McDonald discovered via his two "Motown" albums, there's nothing like expertly executed nostalgia to resurrect a stalled career. While Seal is hardly faded into obscurity, it was inevitable that Seal would ultimately come back for another dip into this well.

Much like the 2008 "Soul," Seal's beautiful voice slides like silk across these 11 songs, and again, he has the smooth production of David Foster (with an assist from Trevor Horn) to assure that there are no flaws in the system. So when Seal wraps those pipes of his around Teddy Pendergrass's "Love TKO" or leans into The O'Jays' "Backstabbers," you can feel the professional commitment all parties bring to the recording. I also like the way they kept the Philly Groove that so enhances The Spinners' "I'll Be Around."

What leaves me a little cold towards "Soul 2" are the same things I felt the first "Soul" could have been better. The song selection is comprised of songs you'd likely hear two or three times a day on your local All Golden Oldies radio station. Seal pulls no surprises out of the bag (ala Ann Peeble's "I Can't Stand The Rain" and Denice Williams' "Free" from the first version), and he could have easily dug deeper than the done to death "What's Goin' On" or "Let's Stay Together." (I mean, really. Even President Obama has covered that one.) Even with the safest material here, Seal's "Soul 2" makes for a pleasant interlude. Be prepared for "Soul 3" likely appearing around 2016.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's hard to discern what these versions add to the originals., January 29, 2012
This review is from: Soul 2 (Audio CD)
This follow-up to Seal's massively successful 2008 anthology of soul classics extends that album's largely Sixties orientation into the Seventies, with covers of standards by such as Al Green, Marvin Gaye and Bill Withers.
With Trevor Horn sharing production duties with David Foster, the arrangements are impeccable.
But while Seal's voice is a natural fit, it's hard to discern what these versions add, given their general faithfulness to the originals.
Some songs are virtually uncoverable: the lushly orchestrated "What's Going On" loses the ethereal quality of Marvin Gaye's, for instance.
And the lack of variation is wearing: after a while, I was desperate for someone to bring the funk in true Seventies style, but all I got was neatly coiffed covers of Detroit Spinners, Delfonics and Chi-Lites. A. Gill

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, February 3, 2014
This review is from: Soul 2 (Audio CD)
This album features some of my my favorite songs sung by the amazing Seal. Love this album! Buy this music!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift to a fan!, December 1, 2013
This review is from: Soul 2 (Audio CD)
This was a present to a dear friend of mine who is a big fan. I never really got to listen of any of the tracks, but she mentioned to that she just love it and was very thriller to own it! This explains my 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Seal!, November 18, 2013
mary e. byas (dallas, texas, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soul 2 (Audio CD)
Every song is so beautiful. He is a very talented and sexy man. Love his voice and his style. Great!

Soul 2
Soul 2 by Seal (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies