5.0 out of 5 stars The Price
Published on December 26, 2012 by Ichiron47

2.0 out of 5 stars case damaged when opened
case damaged when we got it... cant close and secure the dvds in it now.. they need to pack it better!
Published 12 months ago by morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Price, December 26, 2012
The last time I have watched Soul Eater was in 2010 on Hulu and FUNimation's Youtube channel, and I found it to be extremely entertaining. But this review isn't about the show itself. It's about the prices. FUNimation so far has released three versions of this series. The first releases were in four parts (Part 1-3 contains 13 episodes and Part 4 contains the remaining 12 episodes),the second release were in two parts, Meister & Weapon (The Meister Collection contained the first 26 episodes and The Weapon Collection contained the remaining 25 episodes), and this release is the Complete series with all 51 episodes. I find it strange that the DVD version of this is $44.99 yet the Blu-Ray version (which is superior to DVD) only cost $20.99! That's an insane price for a complete series box set with all the episodes in BLU-RAY! This is cheaper than any Soul Eater release you will find on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold on to your soul!, March 16, 2011
The DWMA (Death Weapon Meister Academy) is a school that trains weapons and meisters to fight together to defeat kishin. A weapon must consume 99 kishin souls and one witch's soul in order to become a Death Scythe, one of Lord Death's own weapons. The series follows three student pairs - Maka and her scythe Soul, Black Star and his ninja weapon Tsubaki, and Death the Kid, with twin pistols Liz and Patty. Each pair has their own little quirks and strengths. Soul places great emphasis on "coolness", Black Star is extremely narcissistic, and Kid is OCD and obsessed with "symmetry". When these students aren't out battling evil, they are dealing with problems at school - teachers raising from the dead, mad scientists trying to dissect them, and the surprisingly short quest to find the legendary sword Excalibur. Plus a whole lot more, but you don't want me to ruin it for you, do you?

The art and design for this series is of the hate it or love it style. It is very creative, a bit cartoonish, and occasionally freakish. The moon has eyes and a mouth and drips blood. That kind of thing. I felt that it set the tone of the series perfectly. The music is also surprisingly well done. Lots of anime I've seen have had good scores, but I mostly don't remember them once the show is over. I can't say that I'd go out and buy the soundtrack for this show, but it was memorable enough to stick in my mind. I was also very impressed with the English dub. I normally prefer to watch anime in Japanese (with subtitles) but when a dub is really good I watch it in English. The dub for Soul Eater was very well done and the voice actors for Kid and Crona were especially good.

When I first started this series I wasn't impressed. The first three episodes are used to introduce the three main teams (one episode each) and each episode emphasized their really annoying parts. Black Star's episode is second and it almost made me stop watching the series he was so annoying with his narcissism and "I'm a big man!" lines. But that is the most annoying he gets in the entire series, so if he drives you nuts too, just remember that he doesn't get any worse :)

This series really grew on me. I've grown to really like the characters, love the world, and eagerly await more of the story. I've watched lots of anime (over 300 series) and I occasionally despair for originality. But Soul Eater had originality in spades. It is one of my favorite shows released in the last few years. If you give it a try, make sure to watch at least 6 episodes before passing judgment (because episode 6 is really funny). Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Characters Make This Show, February 9, 2011
Soul Eater has a unique art style that gets some getting used to but once you do...you realize how awesome it is. It's hard to describe but I really love it, when I read the first chapter of Soul Eater manga I was actually wishing for the art to look more like its anime counterpart. Also the opening song...is completely addicting I am in LOVE with this opening! This song is stuck in my head night and day and the accompanying animation really suits it.

Why did I start watching this series? There was a lot of hype around it as the `next hit shonen series' and in all honesty I've never been a part of any of the hit shonen series from episode 1 so I thought I'd follow this one right from the start. The first 3 introductory episodes were ok...I felt a lot of fanatic fans that were raving about it at that point were prematurely excited. But after that point things started picking up fast and now I'm completely involved with the plot. It's a great combination of action/comedy, my ideal anime is one with addicting action and humor that makes me laugh out loud a lot...and so far Soul Eater is only the 2nd series to accomplish this. The author has also wet my curiosity as to how strong these defective characters really are when they momentarily overcome their (usually) incapacitating personality flaws.

This series is overflowing with ridiculously awesome characters and completely random humor, I love it! A random aspect that I really admire is that the author dared to make a female the protagonist as a girl that enjoys Shonen I really enjoy this change. The only other series that I've read/watched (thats considered Shonen) that has a female protagonist is Claymore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Your soul is mine!, February 1, 2011
"A sound soul dwells within a sound mind and a sound body." If a soul becomes evil, it has the potential to turn into a demonic kishin -- which is when the meisters and their shapeshifting weapon/partners come in. "Soul Eater Parts 1 and 2" is a solid beginning to a well-written, deliciously Halloweeny fantasy series, with solid writing and a twisty-turny subplot that promises to get even better with time.

The meisters of the DWMA work for Lord Death to keep the world from being overrun with kishin -- they get rid of evil souls, kill monsters, battle witches, and try to collect souls so that their weapon/partners can become Death Scythes. Among their number are Maka and her scythe Soul Eater, narcissistic ninja Black Star and Tsubaki, and Death's OCD son Death the Kid and his twin pistols Patty and Liz.

But nabbing the right combination of evil souls isn't their only problem: they have to grapple with zombies, mad scientists, the legendary sword Excalibur, a vengeful werewolf, and the demon blade Masamune (who also happens to be Tsubaki's brother). Even worse, the meisters must battle the evil witch Medusa, who has infected Soul Eater with the madness-inducing black blood. Btu this little group may be the world's only hope when Medusa seals away Death and his meisters, so she can unleash the ultimate horror on the world.

"Soul Eater" is a series that looks kind of... well, cartoonish. Think bug-eyed trees, big grinning sun and moon, cats in pointy hats, and an academy apparently built out of skulls and candles. All it needs is some vampires. Fortunately, there's substance under all the Halloween kitsch -- "Soul Eater Parts 1 and 2" is a solid dark fantasy story that becomes outright brilliant in its second half.

The series starts out a bit fluffy, but once the characters have been introduced, the writers spin up a good balance of action, a hint of romance, and plenty of comedy ("Why are you standing up there yelling like an idiot?" Soul asks Black Star, who was trying to sneak up on them). And it dips into darker territory as it winds on, especially with the grotesque madness that is sneaking up on Soul.

It also has a strangely endearing cast, who are usually odd couples. There's uptight Maka and laid-back Soul, who bicker and snipe but clearly care deeply for one another; Black Star makes Naruto look sedate, but turns out to be deeper than his narcissistic rantings would suggest, and the mild-mannered Tsubaki is a sweet foil to him. Death the Kid rounds out the cast nicely -- he's violently OCD (and I mean that literally), and obsessed with symmetry in everything. Don't mention his hair.

The voice actors also deserve a shout-out -- Laura Bailey, Monica Rial, Vic Mignogna and John Swasey all do excellent jobs as their characters, and Todd Haberkorn is utterly brilliant ("I'm a pig! A louse! I deserve to die!"). And relative newbie Micah Solusod (who sounds eerily like Johnny Yong Bosch) is perfect as the titular character.

This solid, kitschy-horror series starts off a bit frothy, but soon achieves a brilliant balance of light and darkness. "Soul Eater Parts 1 and 2" is a solid first half to an enjoyable series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold on to your soul!, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Soul Eater: The Complete Series (DVD)

The art and design for this series is of the hate it or love it style. It is very creative, a bit cartoonish, and occasionally freakish. The moon has eyes and a mouth and drips blood - that kind of thing. I felt that it set the tone of the series perfectly. The music is also surprisingly well done. Lots of anime I've seen have had good scores, but I mostly don't remember them once the show is over. I can't say that I'd go out and buy the soundtrack for this show, but it was memorable enough to stick in my mind. I was also very impressed with the English dub. I normally prefer to watch anime in Japanese (with subtitles) but when a dub is really good I watch it in English. The dub for Soul Eater was very well done and the voice actors for Kid and Crona were especially good.

The series does come to an end (rather then just stopping), but it is based on a manga series that is still running, so the ending is a little weak. Basically the writers cheat a bit to finish up the story. But if you look past the cheating, the ending was decent.

This series really grew on me. I grew to really like the characters, love the world, and eagerly await more of the story. I've watched lots of anime (over 300 series) and I occasionally despair for originality. But Soul Eater had originality in spades. It is one of my favorite shows released in the last few years. If you give it a try, make sure to watch at least 6 episodes before passing judgment (because episode 6 is really funny). Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Blu-ray pack that could slay God?!, September 12, 2012
Soul Eater is one of the better Anime shows that you can find. The art style and animation are great (and fairly abstract, which I like) with a just as good cast of characters. It features a great mix of Action and Comedy for a total of 51 episodes. This comes in a DVD and Blu-ray version, choosing which one only really depends on your preference of format, but the Blu-ray is shown to be $50 which basically works out to about $1 an episode (that is a great deal for Blu-ray right there)!

I only have two problems, one being with that the show has an unsatisfying conclusion that the series takes (the way the main villain is tackled in the finale). It could have been so much better on that front. Another minor problem I have is also about the strange deviation of plot in the beginning, since they make it a big deal to get all the souls eaten, but after like a few episodes, that entire plot line is basically abandoned to tackle on a presented villain (I don't like being presented a plot and then deviated to another one after quite a few episodes had been given to that previous plot).

These are just minor gripes really, as the show as a whole (even those Excalibur episodes...) is a blast. There is great humor and action to be had with the brilliant cast. You'd be a FOOL (as Excalibur would say...) to miss out on this show, and this is really the best set to buy for it at this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars awsome anime, April 19, 2014
This review is from: Soul Eater: The Complete Series (DVD)
i watched the anime on toonami now i own all the episodes on one dvd box set came sooner then i thought it would so complantes just loving it

5.0 out of 5 stars Overjoyed, September 8, 2013
I loved this anime so much I had to have it for myself. I'm glad I got and without any damage to the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show/product, September 3, 2013
Lot of haters of last two episodes. Wife and I watched entire series and zero complaints. Would recommend to any anime lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll take your soul!, May 6, 2013
I really like being able to sit down and zip through one episode after another; after streaming a handful of the episodes of this anime online, I immediately purchased the whole series and eagerly awaited its arrival in the mail!

The world is threatened by evil humans who consume human souls and the twisted creatures created from such consumption, Kishin. Lord Death himself founded the D.W.M.A (Death Weapon Meister Academy) in Death City to train young meisters (fighters) and their weapon partners (humans capable of transforming into a specific weapon) to hunt down and destroy Kishin before they cause too much destruction. The first three episodes introduce the three main meister/weapon pairs; Maka Albarn and her scythe Soul Eater Evans, Black Star and Tsubaki Nakatsukasa (who comes from a special family in which every member is a weapon; she herself can take several weapon forms), and Lord Death's own son Death the Kid and his twin pistols Patty and Liz Thompson.

The storyline starts off with every student's dream and goal; to turn their weapon into a legendary Death Scythe, a weapon capable of being wielded by Lord Death himself. Maka has big shoes to fill, because her mother turned her father into Lord Death's current Death Scythe, who is a true scythe at that.

Sounding too serious? Not even! While a lot of darker aspects such as who determines right versus wrong and the madness of the human mind are handled, every episode contains comic relief in one way or another. Ten minutes or so into the very first episode we get to meet Maka's rather promiscuous father (who flirts with just about every female in the series), and soon afterwards Soul accidentally dives headfirst into a bath with the busty, bubbly Blair. There is a bit of fan service sprinkled here and there as well, all tasteful and relating to the situation. I like that even in the darker episodes that keep you on the edge of your seat, there's always something sweet that comes along to make you laugh, weather it's Black Star's gigantic ego or Kid's OCD.

The plot, much to the chagrin of fans of the manga (I have yet to start reading, so I don't know too much) eventually abandons the idea of Death Scythes early in and instead focuses on the hunt for the witch Arachne (interesting bit, every witch in the series has an animal theme) and the deadly and just about all powerful Kishin, Asura. The manga is still ongoing, so a lot of people seem to be disappointed with the ending of the anime. I didn't think it was too awful myself, but I would like the rumors of a reboot the likes of FMA:B being in the works to be true! There are some bits I have heard about that are in the manga (the further exploration of becoming a Death Scythe, the battle on the Moon, Kid's Lines of Sanzu, etc.) that I would like to have learned more about or actually gotten to have seen. I'll just have to keep my hopes up!

And for any of you out there worrying about the voice acting, you can keep your fears at bay! Everybody's voice fits their character perfectly. There is also no worry about "Westernizing" anything in the series, as Death City is actually in Nevada and most of the characters are actually American. As for the quality of the Blu-Ray itself, it's absolutely fantastic! Apparently a lot of these recent "Complete Series" anime collections coming out aren't all the best quality-wise, but Soul Eater looks absolutely fantastic on my TV.

The only problem, literally the only problem, I have with this set is that rather than standard anime subtitles, which are yellow so they stand out on the animated background, these are white, and also very small, thusly making them hard to read when I want to hear the Japanese audio.

Trust me, if the first three episodes draw you in, don't even bother trying to watch more before deciding, go right out and buy this!

Soul Eater: The Complete Series
Soul Eater: The Complete Series by Zach Bolton (DVD - 2012)
$59.98 $26.49