50%
Soul of the Funky Drummers
Format: DVDChange
Price:$19.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 23, 2005
First off, this is a LONG set (I own it on video, maybe DVD has even more)?! It is also one of your better instructional drumming videos & I should know as I own more than I care to admit.

The video covers the drummers Clyde Stubblefield and John "Jab'o" Starks -- two of the more influential drummers of the 60's and 70's James Brown bands.

They take you thru a number of different songs and beats, first on their own, and later with backing musicians Fred Wesley(trombone), Fred Thomas(bass), John Scofield(guitar-great), and John Medeski(organ).

The songs include: "Cold Sweat", "Funky Drummer", "I Got the Feelin'", "Mother Popcorn", "Give it up or Turn it Loose", "Lickin' Stick", Sex Machine", "Super Bad", "Make it Funky", and "Doing it to Death".

In addition, you get personal stories, style comparisons, duets and more. The REAL sound of funk started with James Brown and with these guys!

This is living FUNK history.
on October 10, 2006
If you have any aspiration to play funk drums, then you should own this video. In fact, if you want to play jazz, blues, or any groovin' style, you should own this video.

I know that some people consider this to be "old school," but if you're able to play this sort of funk then you can play the rest. This stuff is your whole bag. Get the feel and the sound of this and you've mastered it -- you'll sound great playing with any other funky thang, no matter how contemporary.

It really isn't possible to overstate the importance of these drummers and their grooves. Clyde and Jab'o have distinctly different styles, and if listen to what they say you'll find that they think you should have your own style too. They emphasize that it has to come from your heart (and of course, your soul).

This sound is the foundation for any other kind of funk drumming. Okay, David Garibaldi is a "better" player, technically. But I'll bet he'd agree: this is where it comes from.
on February 10, 2011
If you are a drummer, you will enjoy this look at two old school funk drummers who powered the James Brown bands of the 60s and 70s. Both are heard on most of the important cuts done by Brown, and both have been sampled to death. They sit at kits, side by side, and discuss their various trademark grooves. Both show it, too, which is good, because neither one is especially articulate. These instructional sections are mixed in with a few tunes done with the band that shows former Brown trombonist Fred Wesley, as well as newer players, John Scofield and John Medeski. You don't learn much here, because it's more about the soloists than the rhythm, but you see the drummers in overhead shots. This made me go immediately to my drums and imitate the grooves. I own all the Brown tunes, so I played along. They don't do anything impossible, but what they do is essential if you want to be a good drummer. Well worth watching.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
great to see the old masters at work! Nice that there are also 3 songs with Fred Wesley and John Scofield! Would have been nice to see more of this line up:)