Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 16, 2006
Michael Bolton is a great artist. I like Bolton. I am a fan. Michael's soul shines through his songs that he birthed, when he sings those originals of his it is - magical - almost ethereal. His lyrics, his music and his voice they are so well put together - the fusion is awesome. The mixture melds and flows catapulting his songs like shooting stars heading straight for the sky. You want to know why we are above the animals? Buy Bolton CDs and enjoy being a romantic human being and listen to him alone or with someone special.

This was my first CD of Michael Bolton and that CD got me hooked and I have never gotten offline. As Michael Bolton grew he became better and better, now his songs are jet propelled. Now he has been burnt a few times by life and those life experiences he injects into his original songs.
on May 11, 2012
michael bolton's "soul provider" cd is the best that bolton has to offer. this cd was his big "break through" album and it shows. i wanted to see if i could list some favorite tracks but, quite honestly, i could not do it. every song on this album is a winning hit. i actually remember when this album first came out and listening to it again just brought back a flood gate of nostalgic memories and pure enjoyment. if nothing else, it is about time to introduce another generation (young or old) to bolton and his music. it is about time his cross appeal be re-visited. i urge you to purchase this item. you won't regret it. enjoy!
on January 8, 2005
you know you used to have this album!!!

Michael Bolton at his heyday. This pretty much marked the end of his AOR days (even tho we hear some with "How Can We Be Lovers" and "You Wouldn't Know Love) and also the album that catapulted him into the league of AC superstardom. At this point, Bolton was fresh and actually still somewhat cool. The album scored five top 40 hits for him, including his first #1 single, "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You" which was also a huge hit for the late Laura Branigan a few years earlier, but Bolton was the songwriter. We also got a hard rocking side of Michael with the top 5 "How Can We Be Lovers", which actually scored MTV airplay, and MTV usually shunned Bolton's videos.

This album and "The Hunger" are the only Michael Bolton cd's you need in your collection, after this album, it was all downhill as Bolton became the AC artist nobody could stand.
on June 12, 2013
This is a must for Michael Bolton Fans... Even though I have MANY others I love every song on this one, and especially his duet. Go back to it time and again! Have replaced it already, and would again. Needs to be in your MB collection, period!
on May 2, 2005
The reviews for this CD seem to be split between those who liked the "rocker" Michael Bolton before he went AC, and those who think he was better after he went AC. Obviously, he was far more succesful after going AC. The CD previous to this one, "The Hunger", is also a good CD and it truly served as a transition from hair metal rocker to AC balladeer.

This CD is the first big step into the AC category, with really good results. This CD gave him his first #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100 ("How Am I Supposed to Live Without You") as well as two other Top 10 hits ("How Can We be Lovers" - #3 and "When I'm Back on my Feet Again" - #7) a top 20 hit ("Soul Provider" - #17) and a fifth single to squeak into the Top 40 ("Georgia on my Mind" - #36).

I was in my first relationship when this CD came out, and we used to love to put this CD on for romantic evenings. My favorite song on the CD is "When I'm Back on my Feet Again", which is very beautiful. Other songs that I like are "Soul Provider" and "Stand Up for Love", which I think should have been the 5th single instead of "Georgia on my Mind".

Although Michael co-wrote the song, I prefer Laura Branigan's version of "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You". Similarly, Michael co-wrote "You Wouldn't Know Love", but I prefer Cher's cover version from her "Heart of Stone" CD. The duet with Suzie Benson, "From Now On", is probably the weakest track. With all of the people he could have sung a duet with, why pick this unknown?

Anyway, even though I like some songs more than others, in my opinion, this is Michael's best studio album. Recommended.
on August 9, 2003
Soul Provider includes the essence of adult pop hard rock that can easily rival Richard Marx, Bryan Adams, John Waite and Peter Cetera. His husky high-tone voice takes a little bit of time to sink in. But once captivated you will love his voice for the rest of your life. It has less hard-edged songs than previous album, The Hunger. Yet is still enjoyable for melodic pop hard rock fans. Title track Soul Provider and Georgia On My Mind truly show his turning point from hard rocker Bolton to soul searcher Bolton. It's Only My Heart and How Can We Be Lovers are excellent pop hard rock as if taken from Reckless or Repeat Offender. You Wouldnft Know Love starts from Bon Jovi like heavy-riff and is an excellent pop rocker enabling the next excellent ballad When I Am Back On My Feet Again to sound even more brilliant. How I Am Supposed To Live Without You is an excellent self-cover of 1983 Laura Branigam hit originally written by Bolton.

Recommended for adult pop rock fans that also love Foreigner, Survivor, Starship and Bryan Adams.
on July 20, 2000
My goodness some critics can be so vicious! Really, this CD is not at all as bad as it's portrayed. I bought it back in 1989 when Michael Bolton enjoyed a pretty large fan-base. Let's face it, this is not fist pumping music that is going to fill up a stadium; but, then again, it was never meant to be. Michael is firmly placed in the easy-listening genre with a load of other artists who either never got their full due or whose audience unexpectedly turned on them. In Michael's case, I can't tell which it is, maybe he is affected by both scenarios. Michael's gritty vocals are soulful and he sings with passion. He offers a pleasing range of tunes, which I am hard-pressed to dislike. Basically, Michael is easy listening and there is nothing wrong with that!
on February 18, 2004
This album,released in 1989,was Michael Bolton's first megahit. It sold over two million copies within one year of its release. The title track has Kenny Gorelick,simply known as Kenny G,giving Bolton some moral support with his(Kenny's) soprano sax. It's been played thousands of times on jazz stations worldwide. GEORGIA ON MY MIND,a hit for Ray Charles,was previously covered by various artists(two that I know of are Willie Nelson and the Righteous Brothers). HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LIVE WITHOUT YOU,co-written by Bolton,was a hit in 1983 for Laura Branigan. HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS really rocks! WHEN I'M BACK ON MY FEET AGAIN is adult contemporary. All the aforementioned songs have been recycled for GREATEST HITS 1985-1995. 1989 also saw another megahit,Bolton's Columbia Records labelmate Billy Joel's STORM FRONT album.
on August 31, 2005
This CD introduced me to the music of Michael Bolton.
I find some of the songs very inspirational.
For example, "When I'm back on my feet again". Whenever I feel downhearted, I listen to this song and it inspires me, it gives me hope for the future.
Another song, "How am I supposed to live without you" also captivated my attention and my heart. It is because the lyrics are so meaningful. It's about the moment when a loved one leaves you. And in real life, there certainly are a large number of separations and departures.
Good music, Bolton!
on November 5, 2001
A really great album, Michael's amazing voice powers through the strong dynamics of the album. Beautiful lyrics and great production make it a timeless classic. From the tenderness of How am I Supposed... to the raw emotion of How Can We Be Lovers, Michael's singing brilliance is never in doubt. Ignore the less than average reviews, this is a classic Michael Bolton album.