5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!! Good Can Come Out of Difficulties
I just went this afternoon to the matinee, and wow what a good movie!! A main theme of the movie is that good can come out of bad. Also, it shows how we can help others through our personal tragedies and that life is not over when bad things happen to us. There is a plan for everything. I was very impressed with all the acting, special effects and the family friendly...
Published on April 9, 2011 by KittyKins

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice family movie!
I bought this DVD for my stepson after he came home from camp talking about it. (He had seen it once already there and really liked it.) I placed the order and he wouldn't shut up about it until it came. We sat down to watch it and I was really impressed with the story-- very inspirational-- and it really hits home a lot of the values we are all trying to teach our...
Published on March 17, 2012 by Theresa

‹ Previous | 1 2 354 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Courageous, Very Inspirational!, August 16, 2011
art-dog3 (Youngstown, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soul Surfer (DVD)
This is one of those films I was somewhat reluctant to see. I knew of the story of Bethany Hamilton, because I remember when the shark attack on her happened. I was half expecting this to be a extremely sad and depressing film, which I don't enjoy watching. This film is far from that though. Despite the tragic event it's based on, the film is very uplifting, has a lot of heart, and yet it's entertaining. It's been a few days since I watched it, but the film still remains in my mind. Few films have that lasting effect on me. I was quite touched by the closeness of the Hamilton Family too, and Bethany's beautiful outlook on people and life.

It's pretty clear now that the religious message of the film, and the families reliance on religion, has rubbed a few reveiwers the wrong way. As a guy who hasn't taken a step inside a church in years, and who still has no plans to anytime soon, I'm quite perplexed by the negative reactions. First of all, the film is about a person and a family that is deeply religious. Religion, like it or not, clearly plays a huge part in these people everyday lives. And I don't think Bethany ever claimed to be perfect. Sure she defied her parents by going out late before the attack, but she was still very young and still a kid. I think people need to lighten-up with that. I didn't think the film tried to knock-me-over-the-head with religion, it was just a part of who the family is and how they chose to deal with a tragedy that may have left a majority of people in a funk for years and years. Heck that's the one part of religion I actually respect. I mean I can be as cynical as anyone, but this seemed a story as much about love and perseverance as anything else. I don't know how to not like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good movie!, September 9, 2011
Amber Nielsen (Herndon, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soul Surfer (DVD)
I saw this movie and it's my new favorite movie! It was so inspirational, and I loved how they portrayed Bethany's amazing faith in God. After seeing the movie, I read the book, and I was amazed at how true the movie stayed to her story. I would definitely recommend this movie to everyone, non-Christians included!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good movie for the whole family, August 17, 2011
This review is from: Soul Surfer (DVD)
Nice story and cleanly presented. Why anyone would have a problem with this girl's true life story is beyond me? The crew is a wonderful collection of fine actors and the story is beautifully told. Yes, she is a Christian and that fact is included in the movie but it is not shoved down anyone's throat. She is a blond and surfs. Those are as much a part of who she is as her faith is. It is her story, a true story. Get over the race and faith of the real person already. Too often people give up their dreams as problems occur. Here is an uplifting story of a young person dealing with their pain and loss successfully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Hollywood Inspires, August 16, 2011
John W. Schlatter (Grand Junction, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soul Surfer (DVD)
This is one of those rare film that goes straight to soul and plants a powerfully inspirational message...No one can watch this film without having more faith in themselves, in Life and in the God that most of Hollywood wants us to forget...

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, August 15, 2011
An outstanding family movie with values and an important message. Everything happens for a reason and the best of us can turn a tragic unfortunate event into an opportunity to make a meaningful impact on others' lives. I recommend this movie to everyone, and wish that there were more movies of this genre - emphasizing positive values and integrity.

5.0 out of 5 stars This movie made us all cry, laugh and cheer for Bethany, August 13, 2011
This review is from: Soul Surfer (Amazon Instant Video)
This is our first review of any movie. We loved this movie and as a family we all agree that we have not seen a great movie in a long time. This was a great movie! It made us cry, made us laugh and feel apart of the human spirit. Bethany is a role model for all of us to aspire to be like. We would recommend this movie to anyone and everyone. We hope this little review helps Bethany and those who made the movie with hopes that they make more just like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Movie, Great depiction of Bethany's real story., August 12, 2011
This movie is one of the best that "hollywood" has ever come out with. I'd give it ten stars and two thumbs up if the rating scale went that high. I'll be frank: it focuses a lot on Bethany's faith in God, and her struggles with His will for her life. The directors spent more time trying to make this movie as accurate to her experiences as possible; to the extent that they actually filmed real surfing, choosing not to go with any of the "green screen shots." They also had some of the actors/actresses live with the person they were playing to allow them to bond and learn more about them. @ Vince's 1 star review, he seems to be an actor who got rejected from a casting session for this movie and therefore has absolutely nothing good to say about it. Whether you are a Christian or not, I fully recommend this movie. The religious aspect of this movie is not aimed at converting anyone. It is simply depicting the beliefs of one person who suffered a tragic loss. You wouldn't let someone outside the new local restaurant, professing to be a Christian, prevent you from stopping to try the food. So don't jump to a conclusion that this is a bad movie just because some hacked off juvenile person decided to blow up about religion. Whether you are a Christian or just an average everyday person looking for a good movie, this is an awesome movie for anyone.

I'm not religious, I just have faith in God. There is a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Family Movie, August 3, 2011
This review is from: Soul Surfer (Amazon Instant Video)
While I was generally familiar with the story of this young girl prior to watching the movie, I just knew the basics - young surfer who had her arm bitten off by a shark, she made a recovery, and was surfing again. I didn't know she was a competitive surfer who made a truly miraculous comeback and was back on an international competitive circuit. I was very impressed with this movie for a variety of reasons.

One thing I will point out is when we watched this, we had an age range of 9 years old to 71 watching it - this is truly a great family movie which is pretty hard to find these days. Be prepared to tear up several times in the movie as well as feel a burst of pride as Bethany goes through her recovery.

The family leans hard on their faith in God to get them through this struggle - most movies with this type of theme fail because you feel as if the faith aspect is being put in front of the tale of the movie. Not so in this case, but it is a refreshing thing for me to see - I believe God does have a plan and Bethany learns the plan is not for her to be a #1 ranked surfer, but for her to be an example to others worldwide for those with disabilities to overcome.

The acting was very good in this one, with Helen Hunt providing her usual outstanding job, Dennis Quaid continuing his kind of goofy but still a role model characterization, and Carrie Underwood doing a believable job of a youth / missions leader. I've never really noticed Anna Sophia Robb until this movie - she is an up and coming actress who should be in leading roles for years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice without being too sappy, August 4, 2011
This review is from: Soul Surfer (DVD)
This is an inspirational film, which is a type that I usually do not care for because they end up being sappy and weepy. Thank goodness this one did not fit into that category. It is uplifting and honest without being gooey or too heavy-handed, and it also addresses the moments of despair that even the faithful will have.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super great - suitable for the whole family, August 2, 2011
This review is from: Soul Surfer (DVD)
I have seen this movie twice, once with my children (ages 4, 5, and 8) and once with my husband. He's from CA and loves surfing so I thought he'd enjoy it too. It really is a very good movie. The only scary/questionable part is the shark attack, and even that is not particularly GORY. It's just very emotional (especially for me as a mom, when Bethany's mom sees the ambulance carrying her daughter drive by and breaks down... wow). I thought all of the actors did a great job (well maybe not so much the guys playing her older brothers, but they were minor characters really). Even if you are not Christian and do not particularly like "spiritual" movies, that's only one element of the story. The real story is about the girl and how she overcomes this event in her life. And really, it's about surfing. I would say at least 25% of the movie is just gorgeous scenes of Hawaiian surfing. You can't really go wrong with that.

‹ Previous | 1 2 354 | Next ›