5.0 out of 5 stars Not manga format, but still very good.
For the people who love manga, this is not manga format. You open the book and read it from left to right.

I haven't counted the number of pages, but since chapter 14 starts in page 209, you will get a fairly thick book.

The first three pages are in glorious color and the rest, obviously, in black and white.

This graphic novel is...
Published on November 20, 2012 by Anjou Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't love it.
Published 14 months ago by Talvi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not manga format, but still very good., November 20, 2012
Anjou Brown (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate (Manga)) (Paperback)

This graphic novel is wonderfully adapted from the second book of the installment, so if you are hesitating about reading the books, please don't be afraid, all the five of them are great.

The illustrations are great and personally I love how REM captured the essence of Lord Macon and Lord Akeldama. Alexia lost her prominent nose, but she kept her generous front.

So, I enjoyed every part of this graphic novel and it is a great addition to my Soulless collection.

Enjoy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, wonderful adaption of the book., November 20, 2012
I love the book this is from, and the way they are adapting it for Manga is awesome. The characters feel true to the book with a fun flare of "Manga" with faces and expressions that are totally NOT British, but still fun.

Make sure you check out the first one of these too. You can get them month by month in installments from Yen Press with a subscription, but I like waiting to get a whole large chunk at a time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't love it., December 10, 2013
Soulless The manga, Volume 2, takes on book two of the Parasol protectorate series. Though not a terrible adaptation, this really does condense the book down to its barest essence - eschewing a lot of the wit and personality in the process. Characters are overwrought and poorly translated from the book. And plot points were clunkily conveyed, making the story hard to follow.

Alexia and Connall are enjoying marital bliss when they are confronted with a very serious problem concerning the supernaturals: their curses are broken and they are back to being human. No one seems to know why but a clue may lie with Connal's former wolf pack. Alexia and Connall will have to travel to Scotland to try to solve the riddle. Along the way, expect Carrigers wonder cast of characters to grow.

I came into this graphic novel with the perspective of having read book 1 of the novel but not this book two or a graphic novel adaptation. As well, I've very familiar with manga and manga conventions, so following this should have been no problem. However, this is one of those times that I feel the source book really shouldn't have been adapted into a graphic format, especially not manga. The characters all lost two decades, half their IQ, and are far too pretty. It took away a lot of the gravitas, as well as the prim and proper tongue in cheek tone that Carriger sets so well. Victorian era manga can be done well - e.g., Emma by Kaoru Mori. But it just wasn't here.

Despite having read the first book, I had a very hard time following what was going on in this book. People are introduced or talked about without being named, characters appear and disappear with little introduction, and actions are very glossed over. I think I may have missed quite a few of the plot points as a result.

In addition to the issues above, it did seem a shame to have all of Carriger's meticulous manners and historically accurate point completely jettisoned. Clothing, attitudes, even locales didn't match late Victorian at all. In some places it was really jarring - sort of like reading a book about the 1970s disco movement and everyone is wearing bobby socks and poodle skirts in one scene, leisure suits in the next.

I really suspect something happened in the communication between the adapter and the illustrator. Sometimes I felt like something very different was being illustrated than what was being described. As well, the overreactions, wild gesticulations, and overly sexed up scenes (far too many breasts showing) just didn't feel right at all. It was almost like a joke or caricature of the source material.

I think I'll go read the second novel and leave "Soulless - light" to those who liked it better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rollicking good time with beautiful artwork, July 30, 2013
Talia (TULSA, OK, United States) - See all my reviews
As always, Gail Carriger delivers a whopping good story. This is actually "Changeless," the second book in her Parasol Protectorate series. In this book, Alexia and Conall Maccon have traveled to Scotland to investigate what has suddenly caused supernaturals to remain human and lose their abilities.

During their adventures, they meet the inimitable Madam Lefoux - a French inventor with an eye for the ladies who isn't all she seems.

When they arrive in Scotland, Connal is forced to confront his old pack which betrayed him while Alexia searches for the supernatural weapon. An encounter with a spy leads Alexia to an exciting revelation, which isn't as warmly received as she would hope!

This is a terrific manga-zation of "Changeless." The story is kept intact and Rem's artwork is beautiful. I cannot wait to read Vol. 3!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even more fun that the Parasol Protectorate series with beautiful illustration, June 15, 2014
I really enjoyed this series when it was originally released as full length novels and also enjoyed the first manga I read in this series. This book was just as much fun as the first one and delves even deeper into the paranormal and steampunk aspects of the world that Alexia lives in. This graphic novel covers the second book in original series Changeless.

Alexia is trying to settle in as Lady Woodsley (Lord Macoon’s wife) but there is just one challenge after another. First there is a regiment of werewolves camped in her lawn, then for some reason the supernatural creatures are losing their powers...rendering them human. A lot of the supernaturals suspect Alexia’s involvement because of her Preternatural abilities and she sets off to Scotland (in pursuit of her husband) to prove them wrong.

This book has a lot more action than the previous one; including a daring dirigible ride and many attempts on Alexia’s life. There is a lot of humor throughout, just like in the first manga.

The illustration is absolutely beautiful. The surroundings and clothing are very detailed and facial expressions are very, very well done.

I thought Alexia in this manga was more true to the original book, in the first book she was a bit more flighty and goofy...this book was more true to her character. I also really enjoyed Madame Lefoux; she has always been a very fun and intriguing character in this series.

There is a lot of mystery and intrigue. We learn a lot more about Lord Macoon’s past as well. There is a twist at the end of the story that will have readers (at least those who haven’t read the full length books already) gasping in surprise.

Overall this was just a ton of fun. I continue to really enjoy these manga renditions of the Parasol Protectorate series. They have all the best and most entertaining parts of the novels in here. The illustration is stunning and I love the witty dialogue and quirky characters. Definitely recommended to fans of steampunk and paranormal reads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable volume, July 28, 2013
This volume is about Alexia trying to get to solve the mystery of why some supernaturals have been turned mortal. Soulless: The Manga, Volume 2 is the adaptation of the second book in Gail Carriger's Soulless series, Changeless.

The thing that stood out most to me in this volume was Alexia. I'm not sure if this is part of being soulless or part of her character (or both), but she really came off as cold. Now Alexia has always been rather stern and unbending, but in this volume I started seeing it way more. Her interactions with the other characters really showed her to be cold, but I wouldn't say she was exactly unkind (although sometimes it appeared that way to me), rather her kindness is subtle and not really a main trait. I see her obvious affection for Conall, but not much for the others. Though I am curious, is this just a trait of Alexia's or does it have something to do with the Preternatural - the soulless?

We also learned more about the Preternaturals. We got some hints about Alexia's father, who I'm quite curious to learn more about. Judging by the summary of the third volume, we will learn more about the Preternaturals and her father in the next volume.

Some new characters were introduced: Conall's pack Gamma, Major Channing, and Genevieve Lefoux, a french inventor. Major Channing was loudmouthed and really didn't get off to a good start with Alexia. There was much mystery surrounding Madam Lefoux and I'm glad that the author cleared that up at the end and didn't drag it out. Madam Lefoux in particular appeared quite a lot and I'm pretty sure she'll appear a lot more in the next volume.

Of course all our old characters from volume 1 appeared. I liked that Felicity (one of Alexia' sisters) traveled with Alexia. Her family was only in the background in volume 1, so I liked that Felicity was in it so much. Ivy, Alexia's best friend, and Tunstell, Conall's Claviger (we learned what excatly being a Claviger means as well) had this romance going on. It was amusing at first, but got slightly annoying after a while. Some of Conall's past was also revealed in this volume.

I think my favourite character so far is Professor Randolph Lyall. I really like his manner and how he interacts with the rest of the, shall I say boneheaded at times, characters. He appeared a bit in this volume (with Biffy and Akeldama, which was amusing), but I'm hoping he'll appear more in the next volume, though after how this one ended off, I doubt it.

Like the first volume, it also includes this short, cute, one page comic. You remember that one about Mr. MacDougall at the end of volume 1? Volume 2 has another one that's just as amusing.

Last, but certainty not least, is that I finally found out what that octopus logo thing was for! It was driving me mad. I thought that the author had a strange obsession with octopuses and the publishers were humoring her. It appeared a couple of time in the first volume and is plastered all over the volume covers.

I didn't find the second as good as the first, but I did enjoy it. If you loved volume 1 and would like to see the characters again, definitely pick it up. Plus, there was that cliffhanger at the end that promises the third volume will be good. Can't wait for it to be released and see where it picks up after that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first in nearly every way!, October 17, 2013
I wouldn't recommend reading these graphic novels as your first introduction to the series, but for fans of the books they are a great addition. I enjoyed this volume even more than the first, which is saying something since the second novel is probably my least favorite of the series.

I felt like in this one the artist was more playful though and able to do more to bring the characters and situations to life. A few downsides: Alexia's sister plays a larger role in the book--here she feels much more tacked on. If you only read this you'd wonder what the point of her being there at all was. We also don't see Prof. Lyall doing his independent work that he does in the book--that gets completely axed. And this is more of a criticism of the series, but Lyall and Maccon don't look AT ALL like how they are described. Conall looks about 16 and I believe he was supposed to be in his 30s when he was changed. I've always pictured him more craggy and rugged but definitely OLDER. You can't take his authority seriously when he looks like a teenager. And Lyall is the same way. He's supposed to be older and professorial, but he looks like a teen heartthrob.

Apart from that it's a really fun read and I'm looking forward to the next installments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Manga Adaption, January 14, 2014
I really liked this manga. I know it takes out some of the finer details, but I feel that it captures the plot well enough. What one has to remember is that manga is a very different medium from written text, and some of things are added such as better looking protagonists. Alexia's nose didn't stand out in the last novel, nor does it in this one. In manga everyone who isn't a complete monster just looks good, that's just the way manga works. I don't think anything of incredible importance was lost, but it's been a while since I've been able to read the book, so I can't say for sure. All of my favorite scenes that I can remember are in here though. So, what it boils down to is preference. If you want a full encompassing storyline with all of the subtle inflections that Carriger is known for, read the book. If however, you just want a general reminder of the plot, or you simply don't care about details and are more drawn to things more visual stimulating, read the manga.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Spread of Illustrations, April 19, 2013
The wonderful book was adapted for a manga version, and I greatly enjoyed the delicious illustrations. However, that being said, since some supporting characters were not named, new readers will be a bit confused. I never really liked Maccon myself, what with his loud and his tendency to get naked a little too many times. That and the fact that he isn't the sensitive kind of husband. (Ah well. Werewolves...) Still, he looked exactly as I had pictured him to be, and Alexia was gorgeous. Genevieve Lefoux was smartly buttoned up always, and she looked amazing. Especially with that cute eye thing when she went to Lord Akeldama's house. The little post-script, a page of adorable illustrations, was hilarious and summed up the less-than-saccharine-sweet ending. I am eager for more. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars A great manga adaptation of the novel, December 13, 2012
I've been looking forward to reading Soulless manga volume 2, which is based on the novel Changeless. REM's art is wonderful and she really brings Alexia's world to life. Madame Lefoux is probably my favorite character in this volume; she's sharp and fashionable, but is also a geek at heart. The little background romance between Ivy and Tunstell was also quite amusing, though I think others may find it distracting from the main story.

I now look forward to reading Soulless manga volume 3, and hopefully there will be manga adaptations for the last two books in the Parasol Protectorate series as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate (Manga))
Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate (Manga)) by Gail Carriger (Paperback - November 20, 2012)
$13.00 $10.71