5.0 out of 5 stars the 5-year-old loves it

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't like the reward part
Published 9 months ago by Victoria

5.0 out of 5 stars the 5-year-old loves it, October 16, 2011
C. Keenan "CKC" (Aix-en-Provence, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Just Don't Like the Sound of No! My Story About Accepting No for an Answer and Disagreeing the Right Way! (Best Me I Can Be) (Paperback)
I was surprised by how much my 5-y-o son LOVES this book. He wants us to read it over and over, and really "got" the concept and lately he isn't arguing at every single 'no" in his otherwise good life but sometimes actually says "okay, mommy!" and moves onto the next subject , smiling a knowing smile (if only all us adults had a book for us about how to take "no" so well). even better, he seems to "get" in a new way that there's a "good" way and a not-so-good way to disagree with others. it is an entertaining and cute book and i think frankly he likes it not for any embedded lessons but really because it's a cute story and appealing to a 5-y-o brain and humor. i rarely do reviews but wanted to take the time to highly recommend this book to others b/c it is very simple but a surprising little jewel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for helping kids understand!!, June 1, 2012
I purchased this book because I just loved the title!! *AND* The Amazon Preview showed it to have some GREAT content. My boys (ages 6 & 8) LOVE this book! My 6 year old took it into class for sharing and all the children LOVED it!! My 8 year old has Aspergers & ADHD, he could really relate to this book and enjoyed it greatly. He also shared it with his class and they thought it was great! The illustrations are wonderful, the children read this over and over again ... and they really are getting better at dealing with getting "NO" for an answer ... BONUS!! I am purchasing more Julia Cook books for my home and for the teachers at my boy's school. I highly recommend this book it you have children up to about 8 years of age.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't like the reward part, March 12, 2014
I'm a child therapist and a mom with a 4 year old who does not like the sound of no! I was excited to try out this book. As I was reading it to my son, he was really engaged and really seemed to understand the concepts in the book. It was a great conversation starter for him. Then it got to the end of the book where the teacher tells the boy in the story about the "say yes to no club", where basically the boy can get his name in a drawing to win prizes if he accepts "no" as an answer from other people. I was quite disappointed! I was hoping for a tool to help kids learn about accepting no, but not just another method of bribing them into accepting no. I want my children (and children I work with in therapy) to learn about limit setting and accepting no, but I don't want to have to reward them to get them to respond appropriately. So basically the book was not something I could use as a helpful tool unless I decided to do some sort of "say yes to no" reward system like she does in the book. At one point, I tried to talk to my son about saying yes to no, like they do in the book. And his response was "Well then do I get a prize for saying yes to no?" Totally not the lesson I wanted him to take from the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs Kid Counselor, November 21, 2011
As an elementary counselor I have parents and teachers tell me when their child/student struggles with hearing "no". This book really gives kids a new way to think about accepting no for an answer. It almost becomes a game as we make eye contact and see their wheels turning to think of how they are going to respond. Great book to have and use at home and at school! The activity book is a must if you are a counselor or teacher using this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful tool for teaching children!, June 20, 2012
Heather Cammisa (VALLEY SPRINGS, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I have been working very hard with my daughter who has ADD about being respectful and how to go about things the right way. Everything in this book reiterrated what I have been telling her and as she read, she would look at me funny and say something like, "it sounds like you wrote this". The pictures and fun tone of the book made what I have been telling her more concrete and we really enjoy reading it together. We have talked about reading it more than once because she says she thinks it really helps her. She can remember a story in a book more than a lecture from mom, or being told to do something so it helps her set good limits and be respectful. I have purchased more of Julia Cooks books and even though I was worried that they would be a little "young" for my daughter who just turned nine, they were written in a manner that did not seem to juvenile for her. Cook's books are an amazing tool for helping kids work through some behavior issues in a fun and positive way!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 4 year old likes this!, September 19, 2011
Alex's Mom (Westchester, New York) - See all my reviews
My 4 year old really likes this book, though it is probably more effective with slightly older kids. When I say no and she starts to disagree, I remind her to "say yes to no" and it actually works sometimes! We make it fun by practicing how to respond when I say no to her.

1.0 out of 5 stars The cover is the ONLY good part!, April 16, 2013
First of all, the book is really hard to get through b/c it's so nagging. I cannot imagine anyone actually enjoying reading this book aloud. It's pretty agonizing and super whiny if you ask me.

Secondly, it is very lecturing and negative. And the actual lessons aren't very rich. It's just a bunch of "nooooo RJ, nooooo RJ, nooooooooooo RJ." The "lesson" beyond noooo RJ is overly complex. Like saying "I'm going to agree to disagree that we are always going to agree. Got it?'

Most importantly, if your child is too young this will just FURTHER TEACH THEM WAYS TO SAY NO and nag you. Trust me. And if they're too old, they'll get annoyed quickly by the nagging tone of the book and want it to hit the shelf.

If your kid doesn't need the lesson, this isn't a good one for evening reading (it's stressful). And if your kid DOES need the lesson, find a better book or create little scenarios in your own book that better teach it.

This goes to the recycle bin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the grumpy &/or defiant, September 15, 2011
I've used this book with my own kids and with a few students at school. It was a good starting point to get feelings identified and understanding we all have similar feelings at times...it's how we handle them that makes a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource for Anyone That Works or Lives With Children, January 24, 2012
I Just Don't Like The Sound of No is a story about a little boy named RJ. He has a problem accepting no. He likes to argue in the hopes that he can change that answer into something else. A teacher teaches him about the Say Yes to No Club. He learns the valuable skill of accepting no.

This book is a must for parents, teachers and anyone else that has contact with children. This story will help them learn a valuable social skill in a fun way. At the end of the book there are tips for parents and educators that will help teach children on how to accept no and how to appropriately disagree.

*A free copy of this book was given to me for a honest review. No other compensation was provided for this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for kids, November 7, 2011
i bought this for my 31/2 yo son who was having difficulty accepting no this
book who's main character was a boy really helped. I would suggest it to an parent
having the same kind of issue.