5.0 out of 5 stars Use an equalizer!!
Published on November 22, 2011 by C. Mills

3.0 out of 5 stars Auto Shut Off Prevents Using for iPhone Alarm
Published on November 9, 2011 by Terry Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Auto Shut Off Prevents Using for iPhone Alarm, November 9, 2011
Terry Moore (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soundfreaq SFQ-02 Sound Step Bluetooth Wireless Audio System (Electronics)
This is very nice as a Bluetooth speaker. I have been able to use it with my iPad, iPod, and iPhone 3G. I also have an Android MyTough 4g that it works well with. Sound quality is very good and will fill a room. The docking only works with Apple products. The big negative for me (and it would have been a deal breaker had I known prior to purchase) is that it has a built in auto shut off system. You cannot use this as a speaker for the alarm clock functions of your device. If it had an option to somehow disengage the auto shut off then it would be great. However since it doesn't, I had to move it to another room and I'm searching for another option for my bedroom.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice feature set but poor sound performance, November 16, 2011
K. Brown (New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
The SoundFreaq SFQ-02 is the second in the line of well reviewed iDevice docks from SoundFreaq. When it was announced I was very happy to see the same feature set of the original SFQ-01 with the ability to charge an iPad, along with charging a second iDevice from a USB port. This coupled with the lower price seemed to make it a great option for our house.

Out of Box and general use
The dock comes in a nicely packed box with plenty of protection. Unpacking was a breeze and we were up and running in a few seconds. We docked an iPad to the unit and started playing some tunes. The first thing I noticed was that the controls, while nice looking, are somewhat hard to see in dimly lit rooms. The labels on the buttons make it hard to tell right away which was volume and which was track forward etc. With additional use this will become less of a problem as you will become more familiar with the unit. The included remote is basic but works well with line of sight. The unit itself is beautiful and the added rubber supports for some devices is much easier to use than the insert method they had in the SFQ-01.

Sound quality
This is where the unit starts to disappoint. Upon listening, the music emanating from the dock sounds hollow, almost 'tinny.' There is a distinct lack of base, even with the UQ3 feature turned on. Given the smaller size of the unit the size of the speakers was reduced and as a result some fidelity is lost. I wanted to make sure the sound quality wasn't the result of a bad unit so I went to a local Target store and fired up the demo unit using my own iPhone to test. Unfortunately i got the same result. As a second test I plugged my phone into a demo SFQ-01 unit sitting on the same shelf. The sound quality on the 01 was much fuller. The 01 was so nice I picked on up immediately and brought it home. I am no Audiophile so don't take my comment as being snobby, however I have older iHome docks that sound better than the 02.

Other features
The remote app was easy enough to download but is very basic. The interface is patterned after the controls on the unit and that can make the app confusing. Bluetooth pairing failed initially but then worked and has worked well since. It is very convenient to use the BT as you can keep your iDevice near by and change songs/playlists much easier from your easy chair. There was no discernable loss in quality using BT over docked connection. The Aux feature is nice as well. With this feature I can plug in an airport express and make the unit an endpoint for airplay which in some ways is more convenient than Bluetooth. I can use my PC to send music or the Apple remote app which is handy.

Summary
All in all it is a good dock, not a great dock. If sound quality matters get the SFQ-01 instead. you lose iPad charging but you still get all the other features and better sound performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use an equalizer!!, November 22, 2011
I have a fix for your tinny sound problems -- use an equalizer!! (i use the one built into iTunes). Turn off the UQ3 setting on the SoundFreaq so you get a more "natural sound" out of the speakers.. then in the your equalizer slowly reduce the highest frequencies until your stereo no longer sounds tinny. You can also slightly boost the appropriate bass frequencies until it has a nice punch. Subtlety is key here but its possible to make this thing sound GREAT even at higher volumes. I was considering replacing this for the SFQ-01 until i figured that out this simple and cheap solution. This really is an amazing little system once its properly tweaked. Lovin the bluetooth feature, too.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars Lacks BASS!!, September 1, 2012
Kyunta Kentai "soundchild" (local vibrations of L.A.) - See all my reviews
Design and aesthetics is great but the sound is lacking bass. Great highs and good mids but the lows (bass) is lacking... It's very disappointing really, each time the bass hits it's like a faint thump with a slight rattle.

I wish there was a way to plug in/add a subwoofer to this unit.

Although, this is a great system for fans of classical music, acoustics, live, instrumental, jazz, big band, some electro, and some rock. NOT the best for dance, hip hop, r&b.

Nontheless, I will be keeping my purchase for it was a store display and it was marked down to $70. It's also great for charging my iPhone! And the wireless capability is awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Step sounds good!, July 31, 2011
GCO (honolulu, hawaii USA) - See all my reviews
Just picked up the Sound Step today and love it! I have used other iPod docks before, but I think this has the best blend of price, size, performance and ease of set up. Getting all of my devices set up for wireless playback was a cinch. and the sound step really packs a punch that is much bigger than it looks like it would/could. so much better than listening to music on the MacBook Pro's speakers... Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, July 6, 2011
A friend of mine has the Soundfreaq SFQ-1 Sound Platform Bluetooth Wireless Audio System but I didn't want to shell out the $200 at the time. I saw the SFQ-02 at Target so I picked it us. It may be less expensive but it sounds every bit as good. I have no regrets and nothing bad to say, really no cons.

5.0 out of 5 stars this thing is awesome, June 30, 2012
There are a limited number of mid-priced iPad docks on the market, and I looked at most of them. This one made the final decision easy -- it's almost perfect.

Pros:
1. Slim profile, sleek design -- remote control storage on the bottom of unit, rubber dock protectors can also be stored on unit
2. Shockingly good sound for a small, relatively inexpensive unit
3. Easy to use, both the unit and the remote -- Soundfreaq app with FM radio also easy to set up
4. USB ports on the back so you can charge Android phones or other devices while also using it as an iPad dock

Cons:
1. The only one I can find is that you can only dock the iPad in portrait, not landscape, mode.

But I can definitely live with that for all of the other great features at this price. Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked the first one so much I bought the second one!, July 15, 2011
I was an early adopter of the Soundfreaq 1. I enjoyed it so much I bought the Soundfreaq 2 this week and gifted my still-fairly new Soundfreaq 1 to my son.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this thing!, June 20, 2011
yohmama (Forest Lake, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these puppies last weekend. It is truly an awesome device. Excellent sound quality, easy to use, fits my ipad2 even with the case on, and the remote works well,too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my new fashionable, technically sophisticated alarm clock ..., June 6, 2013
I love my new SoundFreaq alarm clock.

Stylish, easy to set up, sounds great, user friend app. Very refreshing design and product.

ARRAY(0xa4b49a38)