5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for bass!
I'll admit it, the dubstep sound sucked me into this. The hot hand is so much more than I expected.

Published 14 months ago by Christian Schneider

3.0 out of 5 stars Still trying to get this to work as advertised
It apparently takes some time to get the this set up with the SA bass envelope pro. Not quite dubstepping my face off... yet.
Published 19 months ago by david morriss

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for bass!, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Source Audio SA115 Hot Hand 3 Wireless Adapter (Electronics)

Now I'll state again what others have said. This does not produce sound, you will need source audio's envelope filter and/or distortion pedal or almost anything that has an expression input. Now to say it acts as an expression pedal doesn't quite do it justice, it 3 axis control let you play with the wave length and LFO rate, that's how you get the dubstep wobble.

This works with keyboards and guitars! I've tried it out on a Roland Gaia and Juno and and on guitar with a Boss GT-100.

I play industrial, dubstep and harsh EBM. I have both the envelope filter and distortion pedal paired with a zoom bfx and it gives me a nice deep filthy low end.

Last note, there is a bit of a learning curve that will go from fun to frustrating and back to fun. Don't expect the sound you want strait out the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars way better than the wired version, March 17, 2013
This is 1000% more convenient than the wired version. I haven't really used any of the features other than just the wireless hot hand itself (expression pedal out, adjustable controls for non-adjustable source audio pedals) but I did test them to make sure it works. $150 is fairly steep, but the wired version is pretty much impossible to use.

I took the ring off once and set it on top of my amp, and it vibrated off, landed on the floor, I stepped on it, and it shattered. A replacement ring was $70 + $10 shipping from source audio, so don't do that. From now on if I don't want to wear it at the moment I'll put it in my pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Fun!, October 5, 2012
This is a pretty cool tool! I've used it with my eventides, ehx gear, wmd, pigtronix and some homemade things. It's really ally sweet to be able to use your hands for expression 1 and foot for expression 2 or volume at the same time. I'm looking forward to checking out some more source audio pedals to be able to utilize the x, Y, and Z axis at the same time (1/4 inch out functions like a normal expression, one function at a time). Great customer service as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, not indispensable, October 6, 2012
Wireless effects controller, novelty item, if you want to see what it does, look some Dragonforce or Nathan Navarro videos.

It allows you to control expression of guitar effects, similar to a expression pedal but with a ring attached to your hand. So, the problem here is to modify your technique so you will able to play with one hand while controlling the expression effect with the other. It could be challenging but fun.

I've tried it with other Source Audio article, the bass envelope filter, which you canb tweak to do some dubstep wobble-like sounds. I've also tried it a BOSS pitch shifter and a Line 6 Bass PODxt; the base unit has a digital expression out for Source Audio products and a standard analog expression out for use with other effect units capable of using an expression pedal. You will have to learn how to calibrate the Hot Hand, but with a few looks at the included manual you will be ok.

The wireless unit is pretty light, you won't notice it on your finger. Its cover is made with some kind of rubber which doesn't slip easily when snap on your finger. It comes with a small rechargeable battery inside, and it could be replaced when it dies someday. The blue light stays steady when the wireless unit is on, and looks pretty neat in the dark. I was able to see the lights from the Hot Hand units being used by the guitarrists of Dragonforce on a concert, and I was not even close to them. Cool.

My complaint is the included AC adaptor. It is very noisy when plugged in, not really a problem when you're charging the wireless ring, but you also need it to power the base when not using a Source Audio pedal. It might not be audible on a stage, but it might be a problem on studio. Its noise will follow the lights on the base, and the adaptor will make pulse noises.

Also, the wireless ring loses connection to the base sometimes, not often, but it happens. Maybe it is because it uses a public wireless band shared with WIFI, Bluetooth, wireless phones, etc... It happens more than I would like, while not a big deal, I'd rather not experience a lost connection in the middle of a song in the middle of a gig.

On a brighter side, the unit arrived before it was expected.

If you want to try something new and have some fun get one. It is not necessary to make music however.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very neat toy for gigs, August 10, 2014
Kerem Koseoglu (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This unit can be evaluated as an expression pedal in shape of a ring in your hand. It can be combined with any Soundblox pedal, or also 3rd party pedals with expression inputs.

I use this unit as a controller of my Soundblox Bass Envelope Filter. It is possible to create very unique sounds and effects if you use it right. Check Nathan Navarro on Youtube for samples, you will clearly see what can be done.

Soundwise, similar effects can be obtained via foot controllers and whatnot; but the Hot Hand has one huge benefit: Visuality! A guy with a huge blue light in his hand, producing dubsteppy sounds from outer space surely will shock and awe the audience. Be careful though: Such toys are just like spice in your food - overuse it, and you'll ruin everything.

Don't be disheartened if you can't play like Navarro the moment you take the Hot Hand out of the box. Personally I don't like reading manuals, but this was an exception. There are many presets and settings on this device, which are fairly simple, but which definitely need to be understood by the player. Depending on the finger you'll be using and the hand motions you feel comfortable with, you are going to need to configure + calibrate the ring and the receiver. The fun begins only after you get it right.

Battery life seems to be OK, and it's good that the ring can be charged. I would prefer the receiver to have a standard 9V input; instead, it has its own adapter - which is no big issue. The ring is adjustable and will fit virtually any finger.

Overall, I'm glad I made this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop watching youtube videos and get the damn thing!, February 25, 2013
Great expression ring. The only pedal I have at the moment is a zoom b2.1 which isn't very good with hothands but I took it with me to a music shop to have a go on a boss SYB-5. I tried the SYB-5 because It's like the main thing people use with hothand gear. I had so much fun tinkering in the shop that I didn't have time to look at any other pedals. You could easily get away with not buying anything more than the SYB and a multi FX for compression etc. I have ordered the syb and hope to get the BEF pro and maybe an OC-3

I reccomend this ring to anyone looking to venture into new sounds, you've learned how to hit notes accurately enough, maybe even learned every scale in existance but this will add a whole new sound and make it a little bit more of a challenge. Plus it's GREAT for stage presence, you should get this even if you have just a single phaser effect or something!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, March 9, 2014
its takes a little bit of time getting use to but it is a great little device for my pedals.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, July 20, 2013
excellent product, this is what i was expecting. i recommend this product. i'll order one more soon. thank you !!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, September 15, 2014
Pretty cool. Been hooking it up to various pedals, works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 16, 2014
This product really opened up options to making music!

Source Audio SA115 Hot Hand 3 Wireless Adapter