Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Size: 60|Change

on April 25, 2012
I started taking Fish Oil one year ago (the HUGE pill form) to see if I would notice any health benefits. I am a healthy 28 year old male. It was only when I ran out that I realized that a "crackle" in my left ear I had experienced for years around loud noises had been cured... and returned weeks after running out. I was sold. I figured if there's just one drastic noticable benefit, there are likely many benefits behind the scenes.

So I did my research and concluded that Source Naturals makes quality Krill Oil (Krill is superior to Fish as it absorps easier, so less is required), and charges accordingly. I bought the bottle of 120 - Source Naturals ArcticPure Krill Oil 500mg, 120 Softgels. Within a few weeks, my left ear was no longer crackling or popping unless I'm around something dangerously loud.

The bottle and pills do have a slightly fishy smell, but taste completely neutral. I never experienced any burps or anything unpleasant.

Now that the bottle is about to run dry, I'm back on Amazon to research the best Krill bang for my buck. I found that the Source Naturals ArticPure I have been using also contain Fish Oil, along with Krill. The label lists this in the Other Ingredients section, which I hadn't noticed (Amazon now includes this in the description). Fish Oil Omega-3's do not absorb as readily, and essentially are not as potent. This is why you pay a premium for Krill in the first place!

Since this is not specifically labeled Neptune Krill Oil, my bet is the krill oil here has less EPA and DHA per serving. So Source Naturals added cheaper Fish Oil for marketing, to boost these numbers, which is HIGHLY deceiving and unethical and borders on false advertising. When this is the case, it becomes impossible to determine how much quality krill EPA and DHA your body will be absorbing. Are those numbers 80% from the krill? 10%? Who knows.

This product worked, and I didn't spend my days burping up shrimp byproducts, so I consider it effective. But I also feel deceived. The COMPANY NAME includes "Pure", so it is easy to read the label and assume "Pure Krill Oil". It's fun for everyone when corporations get clever like that. I would rate this 1 star for unethical marketing, but because I still noticed a positive difference, I'm giving it 2.

Either way, I have decided to go with NutriGold NKO Neptune Krill Oil Gold, 1000mg, 60 Softgels (100% Pure NKO Neptune Krill Oil with Astaxanthin) #1 in Omega 3 Krill Oil Supplements for my next purchase. Pure Krill (no fish), made to seemingly very high standards, but cheaper than Source Naturals NKO at the time of purchase. And one 1000mg pill of Krill daily sounds great. I am purchasing Vitamin D and Astaxanthin to explore their benefits as well.

2/25/13 Update: Was going through my reviews and changed this from 3 to 2 stars. If I went to the grocery store and bought "Florida Pure Orange Juice", and later found that the fine print said "50% juice", I'd be pretty mad. Or how long before a company called "Yukon 24-Karat" gets shut down because all they sell is 10-Karat gold? I don't see how this is different.

Also, wanted to add that I have no idea if that Vitamin D has done anything for me, but I HIGHLY recommend the Astaxanthin. I was wondering why all these Krill labels were advertising it, so I looked into it, and have been taking one a day for about a year now. Twice in 2012 I should have been completely sunburned, and this stuff actually helps fight that internally in a big way, among other benefits. One of those times I only stayed burned for the next day (vs 5-7 normally), and the other time I was tan the next day instead, which is not normal for me. Check it out, pretty amazing stuff!

I went from 1000mg of krill to 500mg daily, and haven't noticed any change in its benefits. Currently, along with good multi-vitamins, I take one per day of:
NOW Foods Neptune Krill Oil 500mg, 120 Softgels, and
Natural Astaxanthin GOLD, 4mg, 120 Softgels (#1 in Astaxanthin Supplements)

Thanks for reading, I hope this helps.
66 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2011
Tried two others but this one works. Don't know if the reported cardio health impact is there but I had a mild skin condition that doctors just gave me hydrocortisone for claiming it was an allergic reaction and all they could do. I have had this condition for years - very minor but annoying itch around the ears with some flaking where they connect to the head. When I tried this brand of krill oil, within a month these areas had completely healed up and no itching. This was not a pyschological effect since I had not thought that it was related to the krill oil until I later ran out of this brand and bought another brand - one month later it was back. Unfortunately there are no standards for vitamins/supplements but in this case I am listening to my body - the fact that this skin irritation went away means it has some beneficial effects and thus it is the only one I buy now. Recommended this to a friend with psoriasis and his skin problems went away in a few months of taking this. It seems to have some active ingrediant that helps immune/allergic type issues.

Only negative is that it is not readily available in stores near where I live and it is more expensive that other brands, but it appears with Krill oil you get what you pay for.
on December 7, 2011
After reading up on the benefits of Krill Oil I decided to give this product a try. I have osteoarthritis and bone spurs in my right hip which caused daily pain and stiffness. Couldn't walk for any distance without pain and limited my ability to do aerobic exercise. I started out with the recommended dose of 2 capsules of Krill Oil per day and almost immediately the pain in my hip was gone. Now on 1 capsule per day I'm exercising more and can walk at a rapid pace for an hour or more without a twinge. No burping or fishy smell to this Krill Oil either. If you suffer from arthritis or other chronic inflammation get some Krill Oil -- it's the best.
on June 13, 2011
This is one of the better balanced and potent Krill oils on the market. I don't burp it and it doesn't smell like fish. I believe there are only two suppliers of Krill in the US. All the vitamin companies get their Krill from those two sources. But there are differences in how each one packages it and processes it.

I like the balance of EPA and DHA in Arctic Krill. Source Naturals is a good company in terms of producing quality products. On the communication side they are butt-heads.

This version of Krill contains some fish oil. It's approximately 30% to 48% per pill. It varies during manufacturing so on average each pill contains 39% fish oil. Fish oil and Krill are almost the same except for a slight molecular change that allows more Krill to be absorbed during digestion. Increases in absorption for Krill range between 1.5 and 5 times that of fish oil. There are other benefits to Krill over fish oil but the differences are not thoroughly proven in research studies. I prefer Krill because it's easier for me to swallow and digest compared to fish oil pills. The pills are smaller for the same dose of EPA and DHA and it's been shown to be more effective. However, it costs a lot more than fish oil.

If you want PURE Krill oil, Source Naturals makes NKO which is Neptune Krill Oil. They don't add any fish oil to it. It is stronger smelling and red in color. I've taken both. I prefer the Arctic Pure but I've started mixing them taking two of each per day.

It has a long shelf life, 2 to 4 years, so I order several bottles when I can find a good price and when it's available. Web pricing varies. Sometimes Amazon is cheaper sometimes it's not. Amazon sell Krill from a lot of different sources. I usually compare their prices to SourceNaturalsCatalog.com
on December 19, 2011
Opted for this brand as a component of a heart health regimen after researching various krill choices reviewed on the consumer lab site. It scored well on all criterion and seemed decent value for the money - so far I have no reason to doubt any of that. In general I've found omega 3 to be an extremely effective anti-inflammatory and very useful in addressing a wide range of issues in our human and animal family. We switched to krill as it's generally thought to be significantly more potent than fish oil, meaning one can take less of it, and, with much less of a fishy taste, easier to take. MCO
on December 12, 2010
I purchased these because they were a little cheaper than the Source Naturals NKO--I will not make that mistake again. While they do not smell as bad as the NKO in the bottle, I do often get noticeable shrimpy smelling burps from these, but not with the NKO.
on March 5, 2015
Much better than fish oil. A very high quality source of Astaxanthin. Rich in Omega 3 fatty acids. Well balanced in EPA and DPA.

Wikipedia says about Astaxanthin: Research shows that, due to astaxanthin's potent antioxidant activity, it may be beneficial in cardiovascular, immune, inflammatory and neurodegenerative diseases.[30] Some research supports the assumption that it may protect body tissues from oxidative and ultraviolet damage through its suppression of NF-κB activation.[31][32] In addition to the compound’s powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative capabilities, evidence indicates that astaxanthin has the potential to modulate aging. Oxidative stress is believed to be a principal mechanism of aging so the enhancement of anti-oxidative protection and the inhibition of free radical production are biological pathways that may protect against oxidative damage, mitigating risk for age-associated disease and, perhaps, diminishing the rate of aging. The mechanism by which astaxanthin may be able to modulate aging is activation of the insulin signaling pathway, as well as upregulation of the FOXO3 gene.[33] A 2011 review highlights promising aging-related outcomes in astaxanthin-related clinical trials for model organisms and, in humans.[34]
on April 30, 2014
I like this product. It works well. I bought this mainly for brain health and cognition. I feel like I can think a lot clearer and I can concentrate a lot better on things. The only problem for me is there are some side effects. After taking this a few days in a row I get dizziness and weird feeling in my head. now I take half the recommended dosage and cycle with this product 3 times a week. I get less side effects this way.
on April 10, 2015
No fishy smell at all. Also doesn't seem to cause indigestion either. Whether its doing anything for me or not, who knows? However I have been happy with their digestibility and no fishy problems. I seem to be doing well with Source Naturals products too.
on April 25, 2016
It is hard to know which brand to use for krill oil. With this product, I haven't experienced anything negative. It is supposed to help you in the long run (reduce clogging of arteries). Do not expect to feel like Superman within a day. Krill oil has the potential to last longer without decaying than fish oil. I use fish oil and krill oil together as they are both beneficial in slightly different ways. If you'd like to get true knowledge about the benefits of krill oil, look up the research results by national institute of health.