Source Naturals Huperzine A, 200mcg, 120 Tablets
Item Package Quantity: 1Size Name: 120 TabletsChange
Price:$17.68 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 15, 2012
Item Package Quantity: 1Size Name: 120 TabletsVerified Purchase
Update Feb 19, 2015 (2 1/2 years after original post)
Thanks for the many comments. I still take Huperzine A and Vinposetine EVERY morning, but no longer bother with the Galantamine because that was a prescription and required unnecessary doctor visits. The headaches I mentioned stopped soon after I wrote the review. Oh sure, I occasionally get one, but just take a single Tylenol and it's gone. I would not do without my daily dose of these two meds... I've accidentally skipped a dose occasionally and I feel it that fast. I still play Spider Solitaire at the highest level just to test my IQ before trying to do something that requires concentration, and my Statistics show out of the last 336 games, I've won 234... that's not bad for a memory-retardee! Those of you that play this game know that score (69%) is difficult to hold for that long, and it's due to the concentration and tenacity the pills give me... I play some games to over 1000 moves just because I know I can win if I hack at it a little longer. I take 1 pill of each.

Original Review:

Warning: I'm wordy. Things that I like or dislike usually end up with a long review. Others are short or not reviewed. If you want your review 20 words or less, skip this one.

I'm 72 and my memory has slowly declined over the last 5 years, as well as my ability to concentrate and analyze. I had a fairly high IQ in my youth, but now sometimes I wonder if someday I'll be the guy I see in movies where the children visit and talk, but I never respond.

I also have a blood pressure problem and take 4 meds, 2 of them twice a day. I mention that because when I began the Huperzine A, my BP went up just a bit from it's managed state. Most noticeable was heart rate.

When I first went to the doctor for help with my memory problem, he prescribed Donepezil but that made no effect whatsoever. He then tried Galantamine and I'm not sure that helped my memory, but wow my dreams were so good they became my favorite source of entertainment.

Last year I tried the Exelon patches, and this was the first medication that actually DID work. I felt the difference in only a few days, my memory better, but more important, my motivation and concentration came back. And combined with the Galantamine, my dreams became virtual High Definition.

But Excelon is $250 for a 30 day supply, kind of tough for a guy living on social security. So I kept watch online for new drugs to help out my finances, and a couple of months ago discovered Huperzine A.

To compare, I stopped taking the patches and began with 100 micrograms of Hupe each day. I didn't really know how much to take since it wasn't a prescription. So I experimented around, first trying 200mcg, but that was like drinking too much coffee. Then I tried 50mcg morning and evening, but my dreams became overbearing! I would dream something problematic and when I woke, I couldn't shake the stress of it. So I settled on the original 100mcg each morning AND 3/4 of my Galantamine dosage.

This seems to put me in about the same place as the Exelon did, I concentrate ok and my memory seems just fine (of course I only remember what I remember :) But I kept reading online from guys trying this who are much younger than me, for study boosts in college, etc. Some of them said that there is a step up from the Hupe, and it's Huperzine A PLUS Vinpocetine... so naturally, being an adventurous type, I ordered that too.

Well it is indeed a step up. In fact I'm not sure my brain worked this well before my decline! I measure my mental acuity by playing Spider Solitaire on the top difficulty, and now that I am taking this combination (mind you I'm still doing the Galantamine) I can beat this game often, and the moves just jump out of the screen for me, fast as I can do it. It works! In addition I have more tenacity now, and stick to tasks a lot better.

Only downside is the dreams (in combination with Galantamine and Vinposetine). This might be something of interest for some of you, and a GOOD dream in high definition, living color with touch and sound and everything real... yeah that's a trip in itself, but when it's a bad dream, or one that is problematic (like you can't find your child, or you're lost) leaves you in a shaking state for an hour after waking. It's a feeling like you've just been through the actual ordeal and it's hard to jump right out of that and try to do something like driving in traffic or engaging in anything diplomatic. Approach it slowly maybe, just to taste the effect. I take my "mentals" in the morning, but sometimes I take a nap because they don't do a thing for my body, just my brain... and if I do that, even for an hour, I'm going to dream. That, and the increased heart rate, are the ONLY reasons this is not a 5-star rating. One other caveat is that I have mild headaches at times, but nothing a Tylenol can't handle.

Good luck! I now have this product and Vinposetine on Amazon Subscription.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 15, 2012
Item Package Quantity: 1Size Name: 120 TabletsVerified Purchase
I am 77 years old, my short term memory was declining to a level where I was concerned that I was in the early stages of Alzheimer's. I started the Huperzine and, within a couple of days, I had names and words when I needed them. I was totally amazed. I'd been to a point where I avoided people since I could not keep a conversation flowing. Of all the supplements I take, this is the most important one. (BTW - this is the only review I ever wrote on anything)
on October 16, 2013
Item Package Quantity: 1Size Name: 120 TabletsVerified Purchase
People's experience seems to be hit or miss with Huperzine and the difference is one's general knowledge of nootropics. Read sites like Reddit to understand better the mechanisms involved and building 'stacks' .

The directed dosage of this bottle (200mcg 1 or 2 times a day) is WAAY too high; I've had to cut the pills into fourths and take 50mcg. Also, don't take Huperzine more than 3-4 times a week and stop taking it completely every month for about a week.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 12, 2012
Item Package Quantity: 1Size Name: 120 TabletsVerified Purchase
Supplements like Huperzine-A often mystify people unless some care is taken to understand some neurology in addition to the mechanism of the supplement. The basic fact that needs to be understood is that acetylcholine is a key neurotransmitter which affects focus, memory, and cognition n addition to those parts of the nervous system involved in hearing.

There are two ways to enhance ACh levels. The first is to improve the body's capacity to manufacture ACh by taking a choline supplement such as Alpha-GPC. The second way is to maintain existing ACh levels by mitigating the effects of cholinesterase, an enzyme that degrades ACzh. Huperzine-A accomplishes the second objective. Combining Alpha-GPC and Huperzine-A can create a more synergistic effect. (Don't ask if there's a more permanent way to slow down the degradation of ACh, since that happens to be the principle underlying some forms of nerve gas).

The Source Natural formulation of Huperzine-A is very good. I've used it for two years. Availability through Amazon can sometimes be a problem, though, and it might become necessary to use other vendors.

I believe that medical researchers in Italy have tested Huperzine-A with dementia patients and found generally positive results. I think it's also been tested in Alzheimer's research although I personally would be very wary of putting much faith in this for that. I can personally attest that it improves memory and focus, but its affects are subtle and nowhere near as dramatic as Alpha-GPC.

If you take Huperzine-A, be aware that higher doses may cause anxiety, insomnia, and hyperactivity. The best way to mitigate this is by using diphenhydramine (Benadryl), which has anti-cholinergic properties.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Item Package Quantity: 1Size Name: 120 Tablets
This stuff is amazing. I have seen HUGE results from three people taking this for memory loss. One has Parkinson's and two dementia. The Parkinson's patient showed remarkable improvement. One dementia patient showed big improvement and combined with gluten free diet was easily 45% improved! Try it!
on November 4, 2014
Item Package Quantity: 1Size Name: 120 TabletsVerified Purchase
Initial dosage: 200mg after waking up then 200mg right before bed. This dosage resulted in eye twitching and random neck muscle spasms. Lowered dosage: 200mg before bed. This resulted in no eye twitching, spasms whatsoever and no other side effects.

After taking this for about 5 months I would say that I believe that it is possible to build up a tolerance to this just like with most other supplements. I cycled this 3 days on, 4 days off as suggested by many forums. When I first started taking this supplement (I stacked it with fish oil,) I started having some of the most vivid dreams I've ever had. I continued to have very vivid dreams for about the first 3 months of taking it. After the 3 months they started to be less and less vivid.

As far as memory goes I would say that I believe that it has helped my short term memory. During the day I seem to remember small little "to do" tasks more readily compared to when not taking it. This part did not seem to decline like the dreams did.

Overall I would say that this brought the desired results and seems to do the same for good amount of people. Every person is different when it comes to nootropics. The best thing to do is to test and see what works and when something does, stick with it.
on September 16, 2013
Item Package Quantity: 1Size Name: 120 TabletsVerified Purchase
I have been taking Huperzine A for a few years and it has worked for me. Helps keep me mentally alert and improves my mind function throughout the day. Purchasing this product from Amazon has lowered my costs substantially as compared to buying this product from a health store. Highly recommend this product.
on October 8, 2012
Item Package Quantity: 1Size Name: 120 TabletsVerified Purchase
I am sure this product is great quality and effective. However I am writing this as a CAUTION. I have a sensitivity to mold and fungal derived products like Quorn (organic vegan poultry substitute) Huperize was damned near a 911 call for me. Heart palpitations, dizziness, nausea - It hit me like a rock 2 hours after taking and stayed that way for 14 straight hours of misery. I am 52 and otherwise healthy. I can see this being VERY dangerous for any elderly folks with a similar allergy.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 30, 2014
Item Package Quantity: 1Size Name: 120 TabletsVerified Purchase
I was having problems every morning waking up and felt depressed and not motivated in so long I can't tell you . It has been years. I took antidepressants , mood stabilizers etc. and yes those things helped but couldn't get motivated. To make a long story short my neurologist recommended that I try Huperzine A . At first I was hesitant but I took them. Almost immediately I was waking up earlier and doing the things especially around my home that I knew need to be done but just couldn't. At first I thought a placebo effect. I have been taking for about a month and definitely feel awake in the morning . Friends and relatives have noticed I am so much brighter early in the day . Also notice the pride I am taking in my home. Prior to taking this I would not feel awake until about 1 PM . It seems to help me sort my thoughts and tackle one project at a time. I do have a hx. of depressive disorder so I still take antidepressant, but I have to admit the addition of this has made such an improvement. I do not feel high or jittery just energy to do what normal people do .
on September 18, 2009
Item Package Quantity: 1Size Name: 120 Tablets
Product seems good, but I don't recommend using Huperzine by itself. If improving things like memory, focus etc. is your goal, use it in combination with a racetam of choice and other cognitive enhancers. Huperzine's more like the trusty, helper sidekick as opposed to the super hero.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...