Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The South Beach Diet Parties and Holidays Cookbook: Healthy Recipes for Entertaining Family and Friends
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 26, 2006
I got this right before Thanksgiving, which I would be hosting for the first time, and the few recipes that I've tried turned out great! I served the stuffing, the green beans amadine, and the butternut squash, and they all went over quite well. My mom (who is really hard to please) enjoyed them all and commended me on serving such a healthy Thanksgiving meal. What I also like about this book are the many dessert recipes. I tried the ranger cookies today and MAN, are they good! Can't wait to try the cheesecake, and the pumpkin pie. Highly Recommended.
The South Beach Diet Parties and Holidays Cookbook is an excellent addition to your cookbook collection whether you are following the program or not.

The oversized soft cover book features 150 healthy recipes. It begins with a chapter on preparing for your special time. This chapter explains simple techniques to make your occasion go smoothly. The book is divided into 2 sections. The first section covers festive parties. 10 parties ranging from a Super Bowl Bash to a Baby Shower to a Tuscan Feast.

The second section includes Holidays throughout the year Mother's Day, Christmas Eve, and Valentine's Day for example. Each occasion includes a complete menu. The Family Buffet party menu includes such fare as dogs n' dips, asparagus and ham spears, baked chicken with artichokes, south beach waldorf salad, penne with homemade sauce and banana orange pops.

Each menu includes when to start preparing. For the Family Buffet, it is suggested you make and freeze your pasta sauce up to a month ahead, make and freeze the pops up to 5 days in advance etc.

The 242 page book also includes a conversion chart at the back and mouth watering photos of the different recipes. Each recipe gives prep time, ingredients, tips, and nutrition information calories, fat, saturated fat, protein, carbs and fiber. Make ahead info is also given which is a handy feature.

The recipes in the book can also be used as regular meal fare and if you are on the program, phase 1, 2 or 3 is listed for each recipe. They are easy to prepare with easy of find ingredients. Lot's of great recipes here! Delicious and nutritious!

Lee Mellott
Holidays. What a frightening moment for anyone who is livin' la vida low-carb! These special occasions are the one time that most people let their low-carb plan flail in the wind like a freshly plucked feather. Casting all your cares about your weight aside, you stuff your face with all the wrong kinds of food and then later regret that decision when you attempt to get back on track again.

Sound familiar anybody?

Well, enough already with the games we play around parties and holidays when we should be celebrating. How about an all-in-one low-carb resource guide to offer up some healthy low-carb recipes that are oh-so-yummy and delicious while packing a powerful nutritional punch as well? I think I've found it for you with "The South Beach Diet Parties and Holidays Cookbook: Healthy Recipes for Entertaining Family and Friends."

Don't let the bright red color of this sixth book in The South Beach Diet series fool you into thinking it's just for Christmas! While it certainly provides recipes that are perfect for Christmas Day, including a unique Wake-Up Breakfast menu as well as Christmas Dinner, all of the other major holidays feature low-carb recipes as well, including New Year's Day, Valentines Day Dinner For 2, Passover Seder, Easter Gathering, Cinco de Mayo Celebration, Mother's Day Luncheon, Fourth of July Revel, Thanksgiving, Hannukkah, and Christmas Eve Dinner.

As for parties, "The South Beach Diet Parties and Holidays Cookbook" has so many recipes for virtually every party you can think of, such as a South Beach Phase 1 Kickoff Party (good to think about come January when people make New Year's resolutions), a Family Buffet, Baby Shower, Weekend Brunch, Super Bowl Bash, Tuscan Feast, French Bistro Party, Backyard Grill Fest, Hors d'Oeuvres for a Crowd, and a Rite of Passage Party.

Above everything, South Beach diet creator Dr. Arthur Agatson encourages low-carbers to get back on their weight loss plan if they do decide to indulge at parties. Resist the urge to stay off the diet and get yourself back on track. He gives some very practical advice to help you combat the urge to splurge during the holiday season that every low-carber won't want to miss.

If you are the host or hostess for your party or special dining event, then Dr. Agatston helps you think about the ambiance you want to convey. How many guests and what do they like? What style of serving do you want? Will this be format or informal? Do you want to present a theme? Additionally, don't forget to take care of yourself despite the stress these events can place on you. You'll want to use the convenient "Checklist For Success" provided to help you plan many weeks ahead of the party to make it as perfect as it can possibly be.

In fact, each holiday and party featured in this book includes a full menu listing with a "Party Game Plan" about how to best prepare for the big day, including pre-planned preparation to make sure the special attention you have given pays dividends on the day of the event. As for the recipes themselves, you get all the "Nutrition At A Glance" as usual for The South Beach Diet books as well as pertinent tips from Dr. Agatston.

As we have come to expect from The South Beach Diet books, there are some absolutely stunning pictures of many of the recipes in "The South Beach Diet Parties and Holidays Cookbook" that will make your mouth water and get you in the kitchen to whip up any of these 150 recipes right away! Who needs a holiday or party to start eating healthy right now?! Cooking low-carb recipes that will keep you and your guests happy is all you can ask for and this book delivers on that in the most delightful way!

Party anyone?
on January 5, 2007
This is a wonderful addition to the South Beach franchise. I have prepared several meals based on these recipes, especially the Thanksgiving menu, and everything was outstanding. My guests were surprized and delighted when I disclosed they were eating healthy! Keep these books coming!
on October 31, 2006
I bought this book and made several of the recipes (as a practice run before the holidays) and must say that the recipes were easy and absolutely delicious. Two of my favorites are the Sweet Potato Rounds with Feta Cheese, and the Pumpkin Pie using whole wheat phyllo dough (which makes the look beautiful as well). Everyone I served it to loved it and no one suspected it was "diet" food. I definitely plan on making more items from this book for future get togethers. I will probably even give this book as a gift to certain foodie friends of mine.
on December 17, 2008
The south Beach Diet Parties and Holidays Cookbook is a disappointment for me . There are some fairly good recipes , however many of the recipes could be found in any health oriented cookbook. I really was looking forward to having some innovative recipes for holiday treats that would carry me through the holidays without eating all the un-healthy goodies. There really isn't any one recipe that appealed to me as being special.This cookbook just didn't fit the bill for me .
on January 20, 2007
As long as you have the determination to "stick with it" and lose weight, this program, and this book, will make getting there a breeze! How tough can it be to stay on a diet, when you're allowed to eat all kinds of delicious, "sinful" foods??? For the first time in my life, I am 2 pounds lighter than before the holidays started; and, I didn't have to give up the joy of eating... I highly recommend this book and the program it represents. Recipes are not difficult and the results are most rewarding. Furthermore, you cannot beat the price at Amazon and the book was in my house, two days after I placed the order...
on November 25, 2006
This book is great for all those get togethers where people consume much more than regular. Imagine being able to use the recipes in this book for say a super bowl game get together and eat till you're stuffed, no guilty feeling after of having eaten junk food either! The recipes in this book are great and tasty. From the recipes I've used, there hasn't been one that fell flat. Every home get together where you have guests come over, the recipes in this book are the perfect healthy choice. No guilty feeling here that you get from eating junk food during the holidays and home get togethers. Perfect book to use during the holidays when you eat more than normal to not pack on the extra pounds.
on February 15, 2013
I've tried many diets ~ This is the only one that worked for me ever. I thought I learned my lesson when I lost the weight, but eventually I fell into my old habits ~ eating the wrong foods and not exercising. Two years of bad habits and wrong eating has me back at a weight that I need South Beach again. This time, I bought all the cookbooks so that I wouldn't get bored with my menus.

This Cookbook has LOTS of wonderful menu options ~ Now, I didn't list any of the vegetable recipes ~ (but, there are quite a few of them) and I didn't list any Phase 2 or 3 at all ~ Every recipe below is a Phase 1 recipe.

Garlicky Eggplant Dip

Crown Roast of Pork

Hopping John Salad
Spiced Cocoa Eggnog
Holiday Spiced Nuts

Cocoa Nut Mousse ~ "Kinda" like an almond joy (cocoa,coconut,almonds)
Ricotta Cheesecake w Lemon Drizzle & Pine Nuts

I hope this helps you decide if this cookbook is for you... I do recommend this diet and this cookbook! Good luck! ;D
on May 21, 2007
This cook book is wonderful! Recipes are easy and taste really good. Friends have said "I thought you were on a diet" after eating a holiday or special occasion meal with us. I tell them I am still ona diet and have this wonderful cookbook with meal ideas and recipes that makes a person think otherwise!