5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in Gold !
Published on May 12, 2010 by Top Hat

3.0 out of 5 stars South Beach Diet_Super Quick Cook Book
Published on March 27, 2011 by Linda B

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in Gold !, May 12, 2010
This review is from: The South Beach Diet Super Quick Cookbook: 200 Easy Solutions for Everyday Meals (Hardcover)
Ok, I admit it I am on a diet. And yes, it is even The South Beach Diet. I have lost 75 Lbs in the first year and I`ve been on it over 2 years! But even if I was not on South Beach I'd recommend this new cookbook because I am a busy gal. I always have been. Presently, I have 2 jobs working over 12 hrs a day. So, while I love to cook, I don't want to spend the balance of my free time in the kitchen. Quick, Easy and Yummy have great appeal to me.

While I have over 300 cookbooks in my collection, the ones that help me maintain my health are the ones I now treasure. This new addition will rank with the best because it also respects the limited time I have to cook a healthy menu.

The new South Beach Super Quick Cookbook is a wealth of information and tips. There is Grab and Go, Budget Shopping Tips; Reworking of Old favorites and Cook Once, Eat Twice. Each topic enhances the concept of saving time. In addition, all the recipes can be made within 30 minutes.

When I saw the recipe for Black Bean Brownies (page 245) I reflected on how I had learned about this technique from another member years ago. I thought at the time: "How gross". But later I learned that once you puree any bean, it is very similar to an egg flour mixture. In this cookbook I was also was thrilled to find an acceptable Hash Brown substitution with Jicama Hash Browns (page 223 ) I have used Jicama in salads but never thought of using it this way. Brilliant !

Dieting for me is not about "doing without". It is about "doing with" flavors and healthful choices. A big bonus from this cookbook is the time it gives me to enjoy the benefits. The Super Quick Cookbook allows me to do it all!

Whether on a diet or not, those who care about eating healthier will enjoy this new addition to the South Beach Cookbook library. It is family friendly, single friendly and right on target for all of our busy schedules.

So, I don't know what you are doing tonight, but I am making Black Bean Brownies and taking them to work. I can hardly wait to tell them they just ate beans, they'll never believe it !

4.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING content - kindle version not so great, August 24, 2010
Mike (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
This cookbook is full of delicious, healthy, quick recipes! I get home two hours before I have to go to bed and being able to put dinner together in less than 30 minutes is HUGE! Some of my favorites are the recipes that call for you to throw some sliced up deli roast beef in with a couple additional ingredients for a yummy beef dish! The content of this cookbook gets a full 5 stars!

HOWEVER, I do NOT recommend the kindle version AT ALL. I was hesitant to buy a cookbook on kindle, but I thought I'd give it a try - I live in a small apartment and didn't want to clutter it up with more cookbooks and I like to support emerging technologies. The cookbook contains many cross-references, for example, the meal plan gives page numbers (paper page numbers, not kindle locations) for the recipes it includes, but doesn't have a link to the recipes. So, if you're going through the meal plan, you have to search by recipe name, go look at that recipe, and then go to your bookmarks to get back to the meal plan. It's a lot of work - I've done more typing on my kindle since I got this cookbook than I have in the entire time I've owned a kindle (which is since they first came out). On the other hand, I can decide what I'm having for dinner on the bus ride home, but all in all, I think the paper version is far superior.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and creative dishes for the health-conscious, May 19, 2010
Julie Neal (Celebration, Fla.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Perfect for dieters who have limited time in the kitchen, this cookbook will appeal to those who want healthy, yummy food -- fast. Each of the 200 recipes can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. Each dish adheres to the South Beach Diet, which focuses on "nutrient-dense, fiber-rich vegetables, fruits and whole grains, good unsaturated and omega-3-rich fats, lean protein and low-fat dairy."

Before the recipes begin, the opening chapter reviews what the South Beach Diet phases are, gives budget-conscious shopping tips, lists staples and equipment to have on hand and describes some grab-and-go dishes contained in the cookbook.

Each recipe includes: How many servings it makes, hands-on time and total time; nutrition information lists calories and amounts of fat, saturated fat, protein, carbohydrate, fiber and sodium in each serving. Many recipes have variations so cooks can change the ingredients to make the dish compatible with Phase 2 or 3 eating.

Easy-to-spot cooking tips are sprinkled throughout, as well as instructions on how to "Cook Once, Eat Twice" so cooks can take leftovers from a dish and transform it into another dish.

After recipe chapters come two full weeks worth of meal plans for South Beach dieters on both Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the diet. Included are instructions on how to eat to satisfy each phase.

I've only tried a few of the recipes, but they have been delicious: Strawberry Fool, which uses plain Greek yogurt; Lemon Quinoa Salad, with my favorite healthy grain; and Black Bean Brownies, which uses just what you think.

Unfortunately, only every third (or so) recipe has a photo. Cookbooks are so much more helpful with images of finished dishes. The photos that are included are in color and beautiful. For an extremely helpful cookbook with photos of each dish, see Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide.

All in all, this is a worthy addition to any cookbook collection.

Other good health-conscious cookbooks include:
Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Foods,
Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World,
The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life and
The Most Decadent Diet Ever!: The cookbook that reveals the secrets to cooking your favorites in a healthier way.

Here's the chapter list:

Phase 1 meal plans
How to eat on Phase 2
Phase 2 meal plans

3.0 out of 5 stars South Beach Diet_Super Quick Cook Book, March 27, 2011
I bought this book because I already had the 'The South Beach Diet Cookbook' from 2004. I thought I would update myself. However my original is still the better book. For people just starting out on the south beach diet I would definitely recommend my first book for 2004. There is just a lot more information in it that is handy to know and help you along the way. And it really does have some good, easy, and tasty recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars The recipes are super but not quick., September 10, 2010
This is the third South Beach cookbook I've purchased. As always, the recipes are delicious and diet friendly. However, since Tex-Mex recipes predominate and I live in Indiana, there are a lot of ingredients that I cannot find in my grocery store. Having struggled through meal preparation in the original South Beach book, I was hoping for recipes that were less complicated and didn't have so many exotic, gourmet ingredients. If you're looking for a cookbook with a difficulty level a notch or two above ordering out, this book is not for you. But, if you want delicious meals and are prepared for lots of grocery shopping and trips to bodegas, then buy this book. You will lose weight if you follow the meal plans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Cookbook ~ For Everyone Who Loves Good Food !, May 29, 2010
A friend gave me this cookbook for my birthday. It was the perfect gift. This cookbook is organized in a really user friendly way, with tips about budget-conscious shopping, planning meals, stocking your kitchen with basic foods and maximizing kitchen time by cooking once & having leftovers for the next day. There is a list of recipes for Quick Dishes for Two, with page numbers for easy reference, and smart little recipes for Grab & Go Breakfasts and Lunches for those of us on the run! How cool is that !! I've already planned my meals for next week, using this cookbook. There is a whole section on entree salads ~ my favorite dinner choice ~ and here are three I'm going to make next week ... Tex-Mex Salad with Salsa Dressing, Herbed Chicken & Bean Salad with Ranch Dressing, and Speedy Fajita Salad ! Lemon-Caper Chicken and Warm Mushroom Salad with Toasted Pecans are also on my menu list. Doesn't that sound great ?

This cookbook is not just for dieters. It's for everyone who loves healthy and flavorful food !

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner from the South Beach Cooks!, August 18, 2010
I remember buying the first South Beach cookbook, "The South Beach Diet Cookbook". I thought I'd buy it because I was having a lot of success on the South Beach diet, but frankly I didn't expect much. Most cookbooks seem to only have a couple of recipes that are keepers for my family. Well, I was amazed - these were all good recipes, some of them simply great, food I'd serve to anyone anytime.

The South Beach cooks have done it again. You won't waste your money on this gem. It's just packed full of great food. My favorite section is the make-ahead section - there's nothing more satisfying than knowing dinner is cooked ahead of time. The Spinach and Four-Cheese Lasagna is excellent and, as the book says, 'freezes perfectly.' These aren't skimpy 'diet' dishes - Beef Burgundy, Grilled Tandoori Chicken, Greek Sloppy Joes, etc. Beautifully ilustrated, easy to follow instructions, and a walk through the South Beach program are included.

If you are thinking of trying the South Beach Diet, grab this book. It's the only program I've ever been on which eliminates hunger and improves your health almost immediately. Check out the [...] site too, a great place to get support and journey with great friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Pleased, November 30, 2010
I bought this book to kick off starting the South Beach Diet. I have made several of the meals and have only found one I didn't care much for. The recipes contain ingredients that are commonly found in your kitchen or easy to find at the store. The prep and cook times are right on with the title Super Quick. It fits my lifestyle to a tee. I am glad I made this purchase and it has made following the South Beach Diet an enjoyable experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Cookbook!, September 5, 2010
Love this cookbook! With all the great recipes in here, you'll want to stay on Phase 1 for months! Wide variety of very tasty, filling foods that assure you don't miss all the sugar and carbs you thought you had to have. Very easy to prepare, not a lot of oddball ingredients. So easy this full-time worker can do it after a long, hard day! Many of the recipes offer Phase 1/Phase 2 options and suggestions for using leftovers. If you want to eat healthy, get off the carb-craving roller-coaster, and do it superquick, this is the cookbook for you. I highly recommend it as well as its companion, "Quick & Easy". Even if you don't want to do the South Beach Diet itself, this is a very good cookbook for changing your bad eating habits.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this COOKBOOK!, June 14, 2010
Carol E. Crye (CHATTANOOGA, TN, US) - See all my reviews
I love this cookbook!!! I have all the SouthBeach Cookbooks and I find new things in all of them.

The Black Bean Brownies and the Pecan Salmon won mine and my families tummy.

My family feels like they have never eaten better.

This cookbook is a must!!

$28.99 $22.02