5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!
Buy it!! Don't even think about it just do it,it's only $.99. You will thank me. And Leah and Meg cause the book will put a huge grin on your face. Can't go wrong there!
Uninvited is hilarious! I loved it and can not wait to read Confiscated. It reminded me of Kristen Higgens' Just one of the guys & All I ever wanted, which are 2 of my favourites.
Alley and Val...
Published on April 4, 2012 by seejaneread

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet
I must admit one of the first things that got my attention was this book's super-cute cover. What can I say? It's something we all do, even some wouldn't admit it. Reading the plot summary, I thought it would be a fun read - and it was: a perfect summer read for me. So I was pretty excited when my book arrived, signed by both authors, who are sisters, and started reading...
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, April 4, 2012
This review is from: South Hills Sidekicks: Uninvited (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Alley and Val are best friends. Have been since 3rd grade. Val is gorgeous and popular and Alley is "cute" and popular by association. The rest of their clique are Kirsten, Kayla and Libby. On the first day of school, hot motorcycle riding Shane arrives and this is where our story begins.
Kirsten goes missing the first day of school and Shane becomes the prime suspect for the girls. What follows is the hilarious adventures they go on trying to catch Shane up in a web of lies. I stayed up until 1 a.m to finish it, I just wanted to see what trouble Alley,Val,Libby and Kayla would get into. Val has got to be one of the best secondary characters. Totally clueless but with a huge heart. There were times I was laughing so hard I had tears. You will not be disappointed in getting this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and Fun Story!, August 15, 2013
I loved this book!! It was cute, thrilling, and super interesting. The blurb definitely had me intrigued, and I'm glad that I was able to read this book.

So I'm not going to bore you with going over what the blurb's about since the official blurb is pretty spot on.

For some reason, the title reminded me of a ghost story even though the cover says otherwise. I don't really get the title. I guess it's because there are parties involved in the book.

When I first saw the cover, I thought this was going to be a chick-lit book, not a YA book. The cover is definitely cute and different to what covers normally look like. I do like it a lot though.

I enjoyed the world building although there were a few things that seemed off. *SPOILER ALERT* For example, there's an undercover cop at the girls' school. When this cop becomes friendly with one of the girls, he tells her information on the case that I don't think a cop would be able to divulge. While he didn't tell her everything about the case, there was some info that I thought would probably be enough to get him fired. There's also a part in the story when the undercover cop takes out the spark plugs in one of the character's cars. Personally, I thought that would be illegal which a cop wouldn't do. *END SPOILER* One more small thing that bothered me as the fact that the character didn't know what spark plugs were yet she knew what a certain type of wrench was. Other then those things, I quite liked the world building and found myself immersed in Alley's world.

The pacing was fantastic. I'm not going to lie. I thought this book would be all over the place pacing wise, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Each scene flows naturally into the next, and it's such an easy read. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

I enjoyed the whole mystery plot. While some of the plot twists were predictable, the plot stays interesting. I was desperate to find out who had taken Kirsten.

All of the characters felt like real life people except the character of Val. Val, to me, felt too ditzy to be real. Personally, I've never come across someone as spacey as Val. There were times in the book where she'd be in situations where it seemed no common sense was required, but she'd still make a mess of it. Maybe these uber ditzy girls do exist, but I've yet to come across one. I loved the character of Alley. She was so down to Earth and just came across as your average every day teenage girl. She felt like someone I could relate to and felt the most real out of all the characters. While Kayla and Libby were written well, I just wish that there would've been more information about them. I felt that there personalities didn't really get to shine through fully. I did like Shane as well, but I just wished he wasn't so moody. He does get better in the book, but I wish he would've treated Alley a bit nicer. Buddy the dog so cute in the book!

I definitely enjoyed the dialogue, and a lot of the time, I as laughing with the girls. Their banter came across really well and didn't seem too grown up or too young for their age. I don't really remember any swearing in this book. There are slight drug references, although there's no one drug referenced.

Overall, Uninvited is a cute and super fun read. It'll will definitely keep its audience hooked from the first page as they try to figure out the mystery.

I'd recommend this book to those aged 14+ who want something fun and lighthearted to read.

I'd give Uninvited (South Hills Sidekicks #1) by Leah Spiegel and Meg Summers a 4.5 out of 5.

(I received a free paperback of the book from the authors in exchange for a fair and honest review. This review can also be found on my blog).

4.0 out of 5 stars It will take you back to high school!, August 8, 2013
High school cliques? Check
Sensible MC? Check (Well, mostly)
Awesome friendships? Check
Hot new mysterious guy that no one knows anything about? Check
Flirting with romance? Check
Mystery? Check

Do you need anymore reasons to read this book?

I've always wondered, you know, how it would be to write a book along with another person. Obviously, you'll have double the talent and you could split the workload (maybe? I'm not sure) and stuff, but what about the little disagreements that are bound to pop up? You'd have to take another person's opinion into account, and I always wonder how that would work out. Would it affect the quality of the writing?

Well, I got my answer to that last question.

It doesn't.

Uninvited was simply amazing! Maybe it was because I'd read a book along these lines after so long, but it just struck a chord within me, with something I hadn't realised I'd been missing all this while. The writing style used in the book is seamless and really brings out the best in each character. I loved that - how each character was projected the best possible way (do note, I dont mean in a positive way).

Alley is a kid with a dry sense of humour, zero fashion consciousness (which is unfortunate since she hangs out with the 'it' girls), and is pretty well grounded for a teenager. Well, mostly, that is. Her best friend, Val, is the complete opposite. A klutz of the highest degree, she's also sweet and slightly feather brained, though everything she does, she doe with a good intention. Oh, and she's gotta be given high points for being the first one to spot the trouble.

One day, soon after school reopens, their friend Kirsten goes missing. No one has any clue where she is, but they know it's definitely not of her own volition, since there's no way she would miss precious little 'Sweet 18' birthday party! Logic points towards the new kid in school who seemed weirdly close to Kirsten - Shane. He may be good-looking, but he's just as annoying and sarcastic. Naming him as a suspect to the police brings no results, so the girls (Alley, Val, Kayla, and Libby) take things into their own hands and turn investigators. Shane's back story holds up, but only barely. There's something very fishy about the guy. For starters, why does he live alone?

The girls 'investigation' makes for some very funny reading, filled with blunders and getting into trouble at every turn. There were so many times I just couldn't hold my laughter in! But soon, things get serious, when they find out that the culprit is probably one of their friends.

Shane makes for a very intriguing character. I wouldn't say there's no one like him in the book world, but the way the authors have fleshed him out worked very well with the entire feel of the story. The chemistry between Alley and Shane is simply off the charts, and it's hilarious how they try to annoy each other to no end! Shane can be ruthless if he wants, but later in the book we see him mellow down a bit, and it was nice to see that side of him as well. I do wish there was more about him in the book though; I really liked him.

The secondary characters in the book are also very entertaining. I liked how the authors gave each of them distinct characters and mannerisms, despite them being only secondary characters, because I see that flaw in a lot of books.

The story has equal parts mystery and humour, so even though it touches on some serious topics, it's still great for light reading.

Bottomline: Filled with humour, intrigue and some amazing verbal footwork (is there even a phrase?), this book will take you back to high school!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!!, August 7, 2013
This review is from: South Hills Sidekicks: Uninvited (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
hmm...So, I LOVED Uninvited. Just thought I let you all know..There are more books in this series and now after reading Uninvited I need to know what will happen next. Leah and Meg are a super power writing team. Together they create wonders! I truly found myself glue to the book. I felt connected to the character and they made me laugh. It had the perfect about of everything a story need..Mystery, Drama, Love, Laughs,..ect this was a definite fun read.
I love the way Shane and Alley are together..It was cute, funny, and sweet all rolled into one.

This Story is told in Alley's POV. I find Alley to be a wonderfully written main character. She is witty, cute and fun. When Kristen ( one of her friends ) goes missing. With her best friend, Val, {who wants to play detective} They set out to find clue to help them find Kristen, Alley is merely trying to keep Val out of trouble so she tags along. One thing leads to another and they start to piece more more together but the cops aren't happy that they are messing with their case. They seem to get into trouble a few times..especially when Shane is around. Speaking of Shane..What a dream boat! He is simply wonderful, funny, cocky, and just love bugging Alley.

All in all Uninvited had me captivated from cover to cover. I would recommend this to anyone who likes humor, Mysteries, and tales of friendship. YA fans will adore this read..I know I did!

MUST READ!!

(*To find this review and may other like it please visit my book blog @ [...] *)

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Story, August 7, 2013
This review is from: South Hills Sidekicks: Uninvited (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book as part of a blog tour for the author and Let me tell you I am turned onto a new author. Leah Spiegel knows how to write a good book. This was a great story, so much so that I am going to be reading the next 2 in the series as well.

This is a funny, whodunit kinda book . It is a bit like Nancy Drew but with 4 high School girls who feel the need to be in the middle of the action. Funny OMG it has some dang good laughable moments in it for sure. It has suspense, a little flirting and Val , Oh Val so clueless but so dang funny at the same time.

The book is about four girls, Alley, Val, Libby and Kayla, who are searching for their friend Kirsten who has suddenly goes missing. They are trying to figure out who took her and why. Val gets full blown involved in trying to find her and thinks she is some kind of investigator. Shane becomes their prime suspect, but they soon find out Shane is not who they think he is. Ally Being Val's Best friend tries to get her to stop with all her investigation antics each time she thinks of a new one. We watch these 4 girls cause problems, Discover some things, and aide in helping to find Kristen.

I will be reading the next 2 in this series as I need to see these gals in action some more and I want to know what happens with Alley and Shane .

4.0 out of 5 stars A totally cute mystery!, August 5, 2013
I want to thank the authors for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way influenced my opinion or review.

Normally, I'm not much of a contemporary read fan. I do, however, enjoy the YA variety. Usually it's much more tame than NA, and there's so much more of a story line. This book was no exception. Not only was it a contemporary read, but it was a mystery, as well. It was fun and I was intrigued the entire time!

Blurb from Goodreads:
When Alley started her senior year at Upper East High in the South Hills area, it was supposed to be the usual drag of hanging out with people who spent more on one outfit than Alley did on her entire wardrobe. That was until Kirsten, a girl in their clique, suddenly goes missing and the only people who seem to care are her friends. All evidence leads to the new comer Shane, a cocky and self-pretentious person in Alley's opinion, but the police seem uninterested so she and the rest of the girls start a little investigation of their own. But they are nowhere closer to finding Kirsten than when they started and now they had the police's attention; just not in the way they expected. The girls have to start over and discover that maybe it wasn't an outsider who took Kirsten, but someone within their own clique who has something to hide; a secret that just might have gotten Kirsten killed

When I first saw the cover of this book, I really liked it. First of all, I am totally a pink person. So that drew my eye. And the green offset it nicely. Plus it was just so simple and fun.

I started reading and I wasn't sure what to expect. I was introduced to a group of high-school girls who were worried about hair, make-up, clothing, etc. And, while this is the norm for HS, it wasn't something I was obsessed with during that time. So it was fun to watch things unfold and see how the girls interacted.

I love how Alley is the level headed one of the group. She's the one who can stop and think as opposed to jumping in with both feet when the situation calls for something different. She's kind of the inbetween when it comes to where she falls in the crowd. She's part of the "in" crowd because her best friend, Val, is part of it, but she doesn't really fit in. All her friends are rich, while she's not; all her friends dress in ritzy clothing and drive ritzy cars while she drives an old Jeep. The other girls accept her, but they don't at the same time. And, of course, this wouldn't be a YA book without a little bit of romance. What I like is that the romance does not overshoot the actual story line. It's kind of in the background, just floating there as Alley tells us her feelings here and there.

Now, what I was not expecting from this book was the girls becoming these sort of detectives after their friend goes missing. It's fun to watch them find clues and seek out the truth. Often they get themselves in situations they really can't handle, but they always get out of it somehow (sometimes with help, sometimes without). And you have no idea who to trust. You know that someone directly involved in Alley's life is doing something wrong, but you don't know who and I really could not figure out who it was until the very end! I liked being kept in mystery.

While the girls were sometimes annoying, I kind of understood why. They were high-school girls trying to piece together a grown up situation. The book was fun and entertaining and I highly recommend it for anyone who likes to watch kids be detectives, make mistakes and learn along the way. It's a light and fluffy read, with some seriousness as far as issues involving drugs and sex. If you want a cute mystery with some underlying romance that's an easy and fast read, then South Hills Sidekicks is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC FUN - loved it, funny!, August 1, 2013
ktu35114 (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Hills Sidekicks: Uninvited (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely adored this book and the beginning to the South Hills Sidekicks series. It was such fun and the characters were so fantastic that I couldn't put it down. I had a little trepidation when I went to start the book, but as soon as I turned the first page I was hooked on the fun and unique world that these two wonderful ladies have created. The style of writing they have attributed to Uninvited was fabulous and like so funny.

Alley has started her senior year at Upper East High with her best friend since grade 3, Val. Since Val is in with the popular clique, Alley is automatically included as well. The rest of the group includes Kirsten the Queen, Kayla and Libby, plus a bunch of boyfriends. First day and Kirsten introduces the group to a newbie, Shane. It is quite unusual for a new kid to be included in the popular group, but Kirsten knows him from somewhere or other and gives him the recommendation to join them.

Kirsten was turning eighteen and planning to have a big party to celebrate, that afternoon, the girls were going dress shopping to help Kirsten find a dress for her party. Everybody turned up at the dress shop except Kirsten. Something is wrong, Kirsten isn't answering her phone and nobody seems to know where she is. The girls just assume she is with her boyfriend and will talk to her tomorrow.

Tomorrow it is confirmed, Kirsten is missing. She didn't turn up for school and didn't go home last night; her car is still in the school parking lot. Now Val is extremely upset as are the rest of the group and after speaking with the police, they hope she is found soon.

Val and Alley have some suspicions about Shane being behind the kidnapping. He turns up the day Kirsten disappeared and they were acting a little weird at lunch, something just seems off with Shane. Val is determined to get to the bottom of it, when the police seem to push their ideas out the window. Val is scheming and has decided that the girls will help her uncover Shane's secret and find Kirsten.

Val is known as a ditzy klutz and nobody seems to be taking her very seriously, but the girls follow along with her plans and get themselves into all sorts of mischief. The police seem to think it could be somebody at school and this puts more suspicion on Shane.

Will they really be able to find Kirsten? What is Shane's secret? Is there something going on between Shane and Alley? Are the alibi's true for the group's boyfriends on that night?

Everything comes to a head when Val decides to have a party. Follow along with Val, Alley, Libby and Kayla as they try to solve the mystery of their missing friend. It is a lot of fun and I was laughing out loud quite a lot with the humorous outbursts from Alley towards Shane. I loved this book so much that afterwards I had to grab book 2, Confiscated and 3, Compromised so I can find out what antics the group get up to next. This is definitely a favourite of mine for this year. I highly recommend to all young adult readers that are looking for a light hearted, fun and intriguing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars YA Chick-Lit that will Blow You Away!, August 1, 2013
This review is from: South Hills Sidekicks: Uninvited (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I want to thank the authors for providing me with a print copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. When I opened my mail I was so excited to receive it and was especially happy to see it was signed to! Thank you! Now, after all that is said, none of this caused any bias in my review.

The cover of the book is whimsical. In ways it reminds me of the girls in the movie Clueless. I just wish the girls look was a bit happier instead of looking so pissed off. As I started reading I was instantly sucked into the book. I mean, in one sitting alone I read half the book and luckily hit a HUGE bombshell when I had to stop to back to work. When I say bombshell, its hold onto your seats, you're about to start round two of your roller coaster ride at super-sonic speed. The girls of the story reminded me of the girls in Pretty Little Liars, but without all the super dark secrets. The boys, well, they remind me of the average high school boys you see around any town. Now that's not a bad thing. First, I love PLL and second, it's nice to see high school boys who act like, well, high school boys.

The storyline itself is not very deep, but it is YA Chick-Lit and any Chick-Lit is meant to be enjoyable and not all dramatic. Popular girl goes missing, friends are worried, cops come in, friends investigate on their own, bombshell, more investigations, some secrets exposed, etc. The writing is great though and I didn't get bored with the story at any time. There was a time I thought I knew who did it, than I wasn't sure, than I found out that I was right, BUT I wasn't disappointed in anything with it. There was no moment of thinking I had wasted my time because this book was genuinely enjoyable.

Do I recommend this book? Definitely! Who to? Anyone from about the age of 15+. Why not any younger? The subject matter of sex and drugs is in the story, the drugs being a main storyline and I just don't like YA's reading that, there is plenty of other YA literature out there for them to get engrossed in. What didn't I like? For a change, I can actually say that there is nothing I didn't like. It was a refreshing read that held my attention and the chemistry between the characters was great. Another thing I liked was that when there were references to current movies/actors, the authors gave a reference that will prolong the life of this book in contemporary fiction such as giving the name of an actor but also referencing a popular movie that he was in. I look forward to reading further books in this series and I hope that they all are as good as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, July 29, 2013
This review is from: South Hills Sidekicks: Uninvited (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
First reviewed at Clean Teen Reads - I received a free copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for my honest review.

What a fun book! Alley is part of one of the "popular" girls in high school, except that this label comes by association with her BFF, the klutzy, crazy, impulsive, Val. Alley can take or leave most of the other girls but when one of them goes missing, they band together to try and figure out what happened.

Uninvited is a young adult amateur sleuth story with a mystery, a forbidden romance, and your typical array of teen issues such as drug use, bullying, mean girls, friendship, and family relationships.

I was drawn into the story immediately because of Alley's voice, which is told from first person point of view, which is my personal favorite. I enjoyed all the characters but it was really Shane, Alley's love interest, who kept me reading. I loved how they verbally sparred, how he grew to care for Alley, and how she grew to depend on him as the story progressed. They don't even get to first base in this book, but it's got great build-up and even though it should technically not even be possible for the two of them to be together (can't tell you why, that's a spoiler!) I secretly hoped he'd kiss her the entire time. I will probably pick up the next book just so I can see how this plays out because it's got an interesting little twist in the first chapter, which is included at the end of Uninvited.

I did not guess the mystery so that really held my attention the entire time and I enjoyed the setting because I had relatives who lived in South Hills when I was kid. You don't see many novels set in Pittsburgh, so for me, that was fun.

I highly recommend this read, it's clean, it's fun, and it's got a bunch of good messages for teens. I also loved the style of writing - Leah Spiegel and Meg Summers really have a fun character voice going and their writing is easy to follow and not filled with a lot of extra words (as can sometimes be the case) that detract from the actual storytelling. Pick it up, if you enjoy a fun mystery with great characters!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 4, 2013
This review is from: South Hills Sidekicks: Uninvited (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was so good. The characters were funny and entertaining. I can't wait to read the next book. I hope it's just as good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›