5.0 out of 5 stars Richard in his element, May 12, 2007
This review is from: South Of Delia (Audio CD)
Having hear RS in concert a number of times over the years, it always has been a wonderful experience to hear him re-interpret his own songs. So it is an easy bridge to hearing his covers of some of the songs he likes best/has been influenced by most. As far as production and musical maturity, this project is miles ahead of the "Cry, Cry, Cry" CD, however enjoyable that was in places. RS clearly feels a close bond with these songs, and his approach is to cherish them and explore them as narratives. Arrangements are typically simple and unobtrusive, but playing throughout is exemplary. RS' voice continues to develop depth and richness, and this is a fine example of a top notch song writer pouring his heart into honoring those that helped pave the way for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Discovery on the Trail of Great Music, August 10, 2007
applewood (everywhere and nowhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Of Delia (Audio CD)
This was my first intro to Shindell, having been led here following the trail of Richard Thompson's guest appearance... and I can't get enough! The song selection is great and the covers good to great, with production and muscial accompaniment top notch. Shindell has a reputation as a skilled songwriter but here he interprets other's songs (for the most part not adding much variation in the covering, just honest and personal feeling).

I love em all, but my favorites are Acadian Driftwood, The Humpback Whale, Born In the USA, Northbound 35, Sittin on Top of the World, Texas Rangers and Lawrence KS.

This last song has quickly become one of my top 10 favorites of all time, sounding like an old classic, but instead being a newish song from the young Josh Ritter, who I have now discovered...(Northbound 35 is another great song that led me to discover Jeffrey Foucault, who's own recordings are great)...and the trail goes on, Thanks Richard (s)

5.0 out of 5 stars His Best Work to Date, May 23, 2007
Jimmy Dodson (Beaufort, South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Of Delia (Audio CD)
This is an extremely accomplished work of covers and I can't seem to get enough of this CD. It is a staple CD in my car and I listen to it on my commute to and from work. I never tire of it. This CD is thoroughly enjoyable and the musicanship, vocals, and choice of songs here is truely its strong points. I am fairly new to Richard's music, but I traveled 5 hours to Asheville, NC a short while back to see him in concert. I was not disappointed. I have since purchased "Vuelta" and "Paterson" and the "Cry Cry Cry" disc. All those are excellent as well and highly recommended. This I think is his best CD to date and you just can't go wrong with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars E Tu Brutus?, September 14, 2007
This review is from: South Of Delia (Audio CD)
I feel like a betrayer, because I too am such a big fan. This, at this time, will be the first and only non five star review. I have been longing for a covers album. I would always hear other songs sung by other artists and wonder "Wouldn't that song be awesome by Richard Shindell?"
And then here we are; he comes out with one. The problem is that I think only half of these songs really do showcase his talents. The other songs, though enjoyable enough, do not really hold melodies or attitudes that showcase his great talents of singing, and expressing a songs truer nature. This cd is awesome. And if you are a fan of Shindell you won't be dissapointed, and if you have never heard him before you'll like this album as well if you dig this kind of music, which I simply label Good Music. I just don't think that this album is going to have the same effect on poeple as his others did, his last excluded Vuelta, which I also thought was only a four star album. Before that Album though all of his albums are 100% five star albums. And this one is great as well. I love listening to this cd in my car. It's really soothing, and I have a new favorite song from the album each week. I'm definitely not dissapointed with this album, perhaps with some of the song selections; Sitting on Top of the World and Texas Rangers. Those two will never be my favorite on this album, and if those were replaced perhaps by Elvis Presley by Dave Carter, The Rose of The San Joaquin, and/or Blue Wing by Tom Russell, all songs I have dreamed about Richard Shindell singing then this would be a definite five star album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great CD, March 3, 2008
R. Sleve "rsleve" (N. Kingstown, RI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Of Delia (Audio CD)
Having been a fan of Richard for quite a while, I hesitated to buy a CD of covers. He is such a good storyteller that I thought I might wait for his next original work. But after hearing some selections at a few live shows, I bought the CD. His ability to tell stories translates well to his ability to retell stories. He changes some of the songs (making deportee much less twangy, and sharpening the edge on Born in the USA) and leaves some untouched (Northbound 35.) But he makes all of them unique. The input from world class artists Richard Thompson (who in the liner notes apprears courtesy of himself), Eliza Gilkyson, Larry Campbell and Viktor Krauss makes this a stellar addition to his discography. Can't wait for the next CD that includes parasol ants.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful cd, August 20, 2007
This review is from: South Of Delia (Audio CD)
It's refreshing to hear new versions of some great songs. Shindell brings something new and fresh to each cut. Born in the USA sounds like the lament that it was meant to be. Deportee is full of sadness and futility. I stumbled upon this cd, and had been totally unfamiliar with Shindell's music. I've now ordered three more cd's. He is is a talent to reckon with..

5.0 out of 5 stars Up To His High Standards, January 31, 2014
This review is from: South Of Delia (Audio CD)
There are a lot of covers on this CD. They are well chosen. Fans of Richard Shindell will not be disappointed. Great story-tunes. Typically excellent guitar playing and tasteful backup harmonies.

5.0 out of 5 stars South of Delia, Richard Shindell, October 1, 2007
mittyb (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Of Delia (Audio CD)
Richard Shindell just keeps getting better. This cd is one of his best. I like every song and that hardly ever happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another solid album, May 30, 2007
This review is from: South Of Delia (Audio CD)
Another excellent compilation by Richard Shindell. If you enjoy his music, this CD will not disappoint.

South Of Delia
South Of Delia by Richard Shindell (Audio CD - 2007)
Rate and Discover Movies