South Park:  The Stick of Truth - PC
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardChange
Price:$16.24 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 5, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
It is finally here! And let me tell you, this game is truly what I expected, and what I expected was an extremely fun, humorous, raunchy, Paper Mario battle esque, 20+ hour long, South Park Episode! I chose 5 stars because I expected it to be a 5 star game and, in my eyes, it is. My $60 well spent. I will point out some key things that I think people should be aware of, then I will go into the review.

Bugs: I have not encountered any bugs at all while playing over 5 hours of the PC version. I installed in on Steam so I can play it from any of my PC's, and it's been running smoothly ever since.

Rated Mature: This game has nudity, cussing, and lots and lots of digestive activity. It's awesome, but I wouldn't recommend little kids playing it unless they've seen a bunch of South Park episodes and they are numb to it. It's really harmless unless you get offended easily.

South Park Viewers & Nonviewers: I would recommend this game to people who have watched South Park and are even just a little familiar with itif they like RPG games. Even my girlfriend who prefers Family Guy thought it looked fun.

On to the review-

Gameplay 5/5

The open world is great. I smiled when I first saw the town mapped out. I never knew Cartman lived right next to Butters. The way that you move around is standard for a game like this, and the combat system is pretty cool. The options you get as far as items, abilities, money, and junk seems endless so far. I found some pretty cool stuff in a lot of rooms, especially upstairs in Cartman's house. The biggest reason this is a 5/5 is because I feel like I am in an actual South Park episode doing whatever I please.

Sound 5/5

It doesn't play loudly in the beginning while you're running around; but, the background music is awesome/hilarious. The sound fx are way cool and the voice acting (done by the creators of South Park) is truly exactly like the game. I haven't heard a lot of the Boss music or anything like that yet because I've been exploring, but so far, it's great.

Visuals 5/5

As stated above, I feel like I'm in a South Park episode the entire game. The graphics are truly the best job I've seen at taking a TV show and turning into a game. Each character is spot on and the buildings are too. I am running an i7 and a GeForce graphics card which is overkill for this, but it looks tremendous. I've seen some reviews online saying that some bugs include choppiness and screen tearing, but I have not witnessed anything of that sort.

Fun Factor 5/5

The fun has not ended for me and I don't see it ending for a while. Everything I've done in the game has made me laugh or smile. I'll update this as time goes on.

Replay Value ??

Will update this after I finish the game and will tell you if it's any different. I am a Jew (character class) but I will probably be a Thief next time around. I'm sure it's the same story line but hopefully they add some DLC.

Overall 5/5

This is truly a must-have item if you are a South Park fan like me. This is something that I would even recommend to people who enjoy watching South Park whenever it's on, or even to people who like RPG's and are a little familiar with South Park. If you are easily offended by toilet humor, then this isn't your game. I'll update this review in the future and of course let you all know if I encounter any bugs or things that I don't like about it, because so far, I haven't found anything of the sort.

In the words of Cartman, this game is "sweeeeeet". Am I sure? "I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive."
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 18, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Standard
I've seen South Park on Comedy Central several times before. While I find the show funny, I'm not a huge fan of it. I'm also not a fan of RPGs. Matter of fact I avoid them like the plague. I always found them to be too long and drawn out and I'm not a patient person. With those two factors in play, it makes little sense that I would enjoy this game.

But I did enjoy it. Matter of fact I REALLY liked this game.

TL;DR version: It's A LOT of fun, it's hilarious if you're into crude humor, and it's the perfect balance of turn-based RPG meets "long enough to be worth it". Because of this game I'm willing to try more RPGs. Oh, by the way...parents, THIS GAME EARNED ITS MATURE RATING. You have been warned.

SETTING:

The game takes place in the infamous town of South Park. If you watch the show, or have even seen a few episodes, you already know what to expect. Pretty much the entire town can be visited within the game, from the school, to the mall, to the main characters' homes. You can even travel through the woods to an 8-bit version of Canada, which I personally found hilarious. You play as the "new kid" that moves into town during the middle of the main characters' fantasy game they have been playing. Cartman, being the Grand Wizard of the Kingdom of Kupa Keep (get it? Grand Wizard of the KKK....get it? come on I'm black and I found that funny) and all the humans is at war with the Elves lead by Stan and Kyle, over the "Stick of Truth". He who controls the Stick of Truth controls the universe.

What is the Stick of Truth? It's a stick......literally, a wooden stick. It sounds completely stupid until you realize you're playing the game as an 8-year-old kid that's playing with other 8-year-old kids, and all the adults are completely ignoring their games and only chime in when you either meet them in their homes or they tell you during the cutscenes that it's bed time. I really think the game does a good job of bringing back the days of playing outside with the neighborhood kids all summer until your parents called you in for dinner. Good times.

GAMEPLAY:

The game plays like a turn-based RPG. There are four classes to pick from: The Fighter, the Thief, the Mage, and the Jew. Picking the Jew causes Cartman to respond, "Jew, huh? I guess we'll never be friends". Sure does sound like a South Park game. From there you're taught the basics in Cartman's back yard before you venture off on your quest to be the best Douchebag you possibly can.......yea they name you Douchebag in the game. As you play the game, the majority of the time is spent with a partner, though you're stuck with Butters from the beginning. When in battle, both you and your partner can use potions on each other, varying from healing to boosting your attack levels. Partners, or Buddies as they're called in the game, have different special abilities. Butters can pat you on the back to heal you, Jimmy sings a song that can put his enemies to sleep, and Cartman.....he can fart...and set it on fire.

Your many quests include finding Jesus, traveling to the girls' secret hideout to recruit them for the game (hint: flush), being goth, freeing Craig from after school detention, and fighting Khloe Kardashian's gigantic aborted fetus. I'm dead serious, it's a giant aborted fetus that turned into a Nazi zombie (that actually shouts in German AND gives the "Heil Hitler" salute), and you fight it in an abortion clinic. That's still not as hilariously wrong as walking up to a random house and seeing a man have sexual intercourse with a horse upon opening the door. The sad part is he doesn't even notice for a few seconds, then stops, looks at you, screams, and finally shuts the door.

LIKES:

What I REALLY like about this game is its "F YOU!!!!" attitude to your traditional style of game, which I guess since it's South Park, I should expect no less. I like how this game is so bold and "ballsy" to do whatever it wants, whenever it wants, however it wants to do it. If it wants to show your characters' parents having intercourse, it will. If it wants you to fart on something, it'll tell you. You can even go to a bathroom, defecate in the toilet, then pick it up and use it in a battle to gross out your opponent. The load of ridiculous, off-the-wall stuff is refreshing to me, considering I'm tired of the "trend" of trying not to hurt everyone's feelings. But that's a rant for another day. Obviously I'm the type of person that enjoys crude humor so this game is right up my ally.

I also liked the fact that it's a very-short game for an RPG, because it gives someone like me a chance to enjoy a taste of what other, more serious RPGs have to offer. I don't like RPGs and I HATE turn-based RPGs. The only other game with RPG elements I liked was Mass Effect 3. However this game was short enough that it didn't feel boring and dragged out, and was fast-paced enough for me to understand the basic functions of the game and still enjoy it at a pace I'm willing to play at. You level up your character, you gain abilities, you have side-quests, it has a huge replayability factor since you have side-quests to complete (assuming you didn't before you beat the game), and you have three other classes to play as after you finished the game. While I'm not the biggest fan of games that take hundreds of hours to complete, I do like games that give me a reason to go back to it after I've already beaten it.

DISLIKES:

The main reason I gave this game a 4 (should be a 4.5; Amazon, y u no let me give out half-stars?!!!) is I experienced a few glitches throughout the game that annoyed the mess out of me. At times I would use Butter's Professor Chaos ability, only to have him freeze in mid-air, costing me not only the ability but the Power Points required to use the ability. It didn't happen often at all, but it's enough to frustrate the mess out of me. I also noticed sometimes the character will flash in an out, sometimes would be completely out the scene for a while before flashing in. I personally can't give a game a 5 star rating if it has glitches that are so easily noticeable while playing the game.

CONCLUSION:

This review was more of a long summary of what I liked and didn't like, and the very basic details of its gameplay. However, if you're a fan of RPG's and/or South Park, play this game. If you're not, watch some gameplay videos first, or try to find a demo of it. Anyone that's not a fan of crude humor wouldn't like this game at all because there is A LOT of offensive material, and it is by far not appropriate for the little ones. I thought this game was a lot of fun, short-enough RPG for me to get into the genre, and hilarious to play. I didn't like the minor but obvious glitches.

4.5/5
on May 22, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Standard
This is indeed the game that South Park fans have been waiting for. I'll keep this review short, explaining why I believe the game deserves five stars.

1. The look of the game is spot on. Except for the the loading screens, it feels like you're just watching an episode of the show. Certainly these are topnotch graphics, but visually the game looks great! Furthermore, the town looks fantastic. From what I understand, this is the first time the town has been completely mapped out on a medium. I had no idea Cartman lived next to Butters!

2. The voice acting is fantastic and the game's soundtrack is pretty great.

3. Very entertaining story with a good amount of side quests. I believe I got about 13 hours out of the game, and I pretty much did everything and explored everywhere.

4. The Combat is fun and keeps you on your toes--though it is pretty simple.

Still, I'm not sure that I'd recommend Stick of Truth to someone who isn't a South Park fan. Although the gameplay was very solid, I think what made the game for me were the references. Pretty much every item in the game is a reference to some episode. I think this would be lost on someone not familiar with the show.
on March 22, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
I purchased both the PC version of the game as well as the PS3 version. I have not personally played the PS3 version (that is for my boys) so my review is based on the PC version.

Upon installation, I was required to download Steam. There was no charge for this, but it did cause a little bit of confusion during the install. It took several minutes before I realized what I needed to do and there were a few nervous moments where I thought my disk was defective. A quick Google check though and I was good to go.

The game itself is nothing short of AWESOME. You literally feel like you are in the game -- like Matt & Trey have drawn you, and you are wandering around the streets of South Park. Uber cool. The graphics are just as they appear on TV and just about every character can you think of makes an appearance. I'm not going to go into step by step gameplay -- some of you won't want to know and for those that DO, there are a million You Tube videos (I recommend PewDiePie of course) where you can watch and learn. As I didn't have a game guide (they were on back order), I will confess that I peeked at a video a few times if I was hopelessly stuck somewhere. LOL

Anyway, you start the game by choosing between four classes of character: Fighter, Mage, Thief or Jew. The main difference will be the choice of weapons/abilities that will be available to you during the game play. You can't really go wrong though and you will most likely eventually play each one (I am currently on my THIRD run-through of the game) so feel free to try them all.

The menu screen that you can access at any time is very easy to read and it has tabs that tell you anything you need to know The "home" tab shows you your character, your level, weapons (and their abilities), points needed to level up, etc. In addition, this screen offers you the chance to change your outfit, appearance, etc. at any time during the game. Other tabs keep you posted on Quest Status, Collections, Power Ups, etc. I really like the way they put everything in a neatly organized, easy to understand, always-accessible screen.

My only complaint so far with the game is just a personal preference/experience issue. With the PC version of the game, you have to use the A,W,S & D keys to navigate. This ... drives .. me ... NUTS !! I feel very uncoordinated, I constantly "miss", and even after 3 times playing through the game, I still keep reaching for the arrow keys instead of the letters. That is the only thing I found very frustrating and distracting, but many of you might be very used to that already. For me personally, this is the only computer game that I've played where I needed to use those keys so it is just a matter of getting used to it.

Finally, as a Mom, I just have to give the heads-up to the parents out there -- when they say rated "M" for mature, they aren't kidding. The censor took the day off. LOL

So, I highly recommend the game for fans of South Park. You feel so much like you are walking the streets of South Park that you lose track of time. A++++ Enjoy!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 1, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
I honestly have not laughed so hard at any game...possibly ever -- and I've been playing games since about 1984. I initially saw some of my students (college) playing this on campus (the little sneaks!), and I thought they were watching the show -- and then I noticed they were controlling it!
After seeing a bit of the gameplay, I was sold...I immediately got it -- and couldn't stop playing!

I am by no means a die-hard South Park watcher...in fact, I haven't seen the vast majority of episodes...but this game presents you with so many memorable moments -- and nods / set pieces from notable TV episodes -- that there is just no way you won't enjoy it.

The combat might have been a bit easy (from which I think it has gotten some criticism), but I honestly can't tell you may game that will top it in pure entertainment.

It nails the look of the show, the feel of the world, and the humor that the show is known for...perfectly.
If you have any passing interest in South Park or that type of comedy -- at all -- you really should play this game. :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 15, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Standard
I didn't expect anything else. Quite a few scenes where I just shook my head ha ha ha. Was enjoying through the whole game.
on May 23, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
IF you consider yourself a person who watches the show with some enthusiasm, you will enjoy this game. The great joy of this game comes from character nuance, and episode allusion or outright reference. Just about every character you can think of makes an appearance as friend, foe, or cause for a plot twist-turn. It plays like an episode looks. My wife watched the game as I played and enjoyed following the story.

From the perspective of just being a video game and having never seen a single episode of SP, this game is pretty blasé. It can become repetitive at times, and lightly frustrating when the needed solution is only offered by a different companion's special ability that is not currently following you. Although it is easy to change companions almost instantaneously I found it to be the last thing I tried sometimes.

NOTE: This game is rated M, for Mature.

Not for you if: you hate adult content, are shamed by shock content, dislike depictions of coitus, poo-poo visitor probes, nay-say NaziZombies, and really don't like any or all aspects of South Park to begin with.

Also there is plenty of farting as it is an important game mechanic. Thanks for reading, best wishes.
on April 27, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
OK, so I was a little skeptical of the turn based combat system because it's not like skyrim or fallout 3 or new vegas where you just fight whatever enemies come your way...that being said...after playing it for several days (yes I'm one of those old school gamers where I explore everything in a game while working my way through it) I'm sold on it. It is without a doubt one of the funnest video games I've ever played...however if you are not a fan of the show, fart jokes, profanity and all kinds of OMG they went there jokes then you may want to steer clear...also I don't think this game is appropriate for kids under 16...So if like me you like the show and can appreciate all sorts of humor no matter how raunchy or off the wall then you will love this game as much as I do...also if you don't watch the show but went and saw, "The Book Of Mormon" and loved it like I did then this you'll probably love this game too!!!
on April 7, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
If you have watched and enjoyed the series then you will love this game.

Every trope and inside joke from each season of the show and the movie are here. (There are even some references to Team America hidden in the game.)

The graphics are very good, and the plot (while relatively linear) is well done and reasonable to accomplish.

There are many, many side plots.

It is almost impossible to describe the details without giving away large chunks of the story.

Here are a few items that might be teasers more than spoilers.

There are a number of Pokémon like creatures that can be collected throughout the story, and often these involve multiple actions to release or get at.

The Big Boss at the end comes as a total surprise! (Don't ruin it for yourself by looking it up!)

You'll know when you are there, because ... Morgan Freeman does the narration for the back-story!

Amazing!

All in all, well balanced, fun, and worth every penny for the game!
on April 6, 2014
Platform for Display: PC DownloadEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
This was everything I've wanted from a South Park game! It feels like an epic length episode. As profane and sickening as you'd expect from Parker and Stone, you can throw your own s*** at enemies in combat or have a mana overload and s*** your pants! If you're a fan, this is a must buy.