4.0 out of 5 stars Dresser

1.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate 5-Drawer Chest
Published on April 8, 2008 by bauerwalter

1.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate 5-Drawer Chest, April 8, 2008
bauerwalter (Blue Springs, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Shore Step One Collection 5-Drawer Chest, Chocolate (Kitchen)
This has got to be the worst dresser ever made. I purchased this for my son because he was only 2 and I didn't want to spend too much money. In the picture, it looks like a nice dresser. I didn't have to worry about my son messing it up, it was a terrible product to begin with. It is made of particle board, and scratches and nicks extremely easy. To put the dresser together wasn't too hard, but the bottoms of the drawer continuously fall out, and I am having to pull the drawer out, put the bottom back on, and put it back in. I would NEVER buy this product again!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dresser, November 13, 2007
This seems to be a well-designed dresser, and it is fairly solid when put together. Seems durable enough to last several years - time will tell. Assembly took me just under two hours by myself (although the instructions recommend two people). Everything fit together perfectly, with no trouble. The instructions were not exactly great, merely adequate for the task. The chrome handles are very nice, and the faux wood finish is much better than I'd anticipated. I'm not crazy about the plastic sliders and runners for the drawers, but they fit together well and seem smooth opening and closing. Overall, this is a good value for the money, and I'm happy enough that I will probably be purchasing the matching nightstand soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it...., April 8, 2009
For the price this dresser it what it is. As long as you follow the instructions the dresser will be very solid. I haven't had any issues with the drawer bottoms falling out as I used the provided hardware to attach it. Any furniture at this price point is going to useful for a few years and then get thrown out.

I bought this whole set for my bedroom knowing that once I move out, the furniture wouldn't come with me. With furniture just like anything in life, you get what you pay for. I would recommend this for people looking to get affordable furniture for their bedrooms, but know that it won't last as long as solid wood pieces.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beatuiful when complete!, August 3, 2007
I purchased this item along with the headboard and nightstand for my son's room. Of all the items this was the most difficult to assemble; lots of parts. The instruction could have been more clearer and you absolutely need another set of hands to help out. They were well worth the price! My son loves his new furnishing. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice chest of drawers. Use wood glue!, November 6, 2013
It's pleasing to look at and not at all flimsy. Take your time to assemble it. It gets repetitive assembling the drawers, but don't sacrifice on your future experience with this drawer chest by cutting corners! My suggestion: get someone who normally doesn't do furniture assembly to help you (everyone should learn how to put these sort of things together). That's right: someone who normally doesn't do such things. Might be a teenage kid, or in my case, my girlfriend. Put one drawer together and let them practice on one or two on their own, to gain some confidence. If they wreck it aesthetically (very unlikely), use those drawers for the lower part of the chest, since they are unlikely to be scrutinized as heavily.

Also, and I tell this to everyone who puts together DIY furniture... use wood glue! It's inexpensive and will add so much more durability for just a few more minutes of time. Apply glue everywhere pieces are joined, especially in the grooves where you slide the drawer bottom supports into. The drawer bottoms are flexible, so they may bend and flex out of their grooves if you do not glue them in. This is probably the cause of most of the complaints you hear from other buyers who claim their drawers 'just fell apart' from regular use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do a little carpentry of your own and you'll be satisfied, April 5, 2013
Arthur V. Hill (Eden Prairie, MN USA) - See all my reviews
Read my reviews of the 6-drawer dresser and the nightstand for a detailed description of these items, and what can be done to increase their durability, strength, and quality without much effort.

Specifically, for this dresser (cut wood at HD or Lws when you buy it)...

1. Cut 8 pieces of solid wood: 1" x 4" x 1/2"
2. Cut 4 pieces of solid wood: 3-1/2" x 1/2" x Remaining width (can't remember - somewhere around 29")
3. Buy 1" and 1-1/2" nails
4. Nail the 8 pieces into the ends of the 4 pieces (1-1/2" nails), so that you have L ends on both sides
5. Place these into the back of the frame (hopefully you measured right!) in the gap between the drawers
6. Nail the small L tips into the frame (1" nails), being sure the drawers can slide all the way back

It'll cost you maybe $10. Obviously, you can alter this. It's just what I did and it worked great! If done right, you will never see these supports or any nails (the reason for the L tips). And it is immensely sturdier.

Note: These dressers also come with wall mounting equipment for stability, so there are other options. And if you don't beef it up, it's still actually not that bad. I'm just a perfectionist...

- Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars Walmarty, but decent., May 12, 2012
First off if you love puzzles, you'll love putting this together with 100+ pieces. You can not rush when assembling either, you need to make sure every screw/nail piece is in very secure.

Make sure you secure the plastic rails in very securely or the drawers won't open as smoothly. .

You will have to study the directions before staring. It will take 2+ hours to complete if you are a first timer and are building this solo. I recommend having someone work on the drawers while you work on the base.

You will have to work the pegs to get them to fit in the some of the holes.

The paint on the edges will peel if you are rough moving it, or opening the drawers.

Once put together it looks very nice. Not super strong but you can work with it if you handle it with care.

I think $139 was a little too much to pay for this just based on the materials used (I also was missing 2 plastic pegs for the drawers). Maybe $70-$90.

I give 3.25 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking dresser, February 11, 2010
Mike (North Royalton, OH) - See all my reviews
Although this is not a highend dresser, it looks sharp when it is assembled. Take your time putting in together so that you do it right and you should be happy with it. Really pay attention and do not scratch the exteriors of the different pieces. I do not own a home yet and live in an apartment figured buying furniture pieces like this would be better until I have a permanent address with future moves. I plan on purchasing matching nightstands.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal for the price, August 19, 2009
I have to agree - this is a simple piece of furniture that is not going to last 10 years. I am a graduate student who moved from NYC to Virginia and did not want to move my stuff for logistical reasons. This item came right to my door, took about 4 hours to assemble, and will last me the two years I am here. I did this myself, but with two people, it might take less than two hours. The drawers are simple, spacious enough, and while it is not the most stable bureau around, it will do for a short term solution. It does look nice, and there was no major confusion in putting it together.

Don't expect that magical chest of drawers that everyone is staring at due to its beauty, but it is a solid, usable item at a very reasonable price.

1.0 out of 5 stars garbage, September 20, 2008
Save your money and buy a quality piece of furniture---preferably one that is already assembled! I purchased this dresser six months ago and it is falling to pieces. Assembly is simple, but the quality is horrible. The bottoms of the drawers are constantly falling out and the the the rods are that glide the drawers in and out get stuck. At this point, I can only use two out of the five drawers because it is not worth the hastle to pry the drawer out once the bottom shelf droops and sags onto the drawer below it. I guess I got my money's worth!

Rate and Discover Movies