5.0 out of 5 stars South by Southeast - A Knuckle-Wrenching Thriller
First, let me preface this review by saying, I seriously enjoyed this novel - it was told the way a thriller should be told - it made me yearn to see it on the big screen. And it didn't hurt one bit that I envisioned the author, seductively-handsome actor Blair Underwood in the role of the protagonist, Tennyson Hardwick.

Licentious super-sleuth Tennyson...
Published on September 20, 2012 by Chrystal

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it but...
Published on September 23, 2012 by Book Lover

5.0 out of 5 stars South by Southeast - A Knuckle-Wrenching Thriller, September 20, 2012
This review is from: South by Southeast: A Tennyson Hardwick Novel (Tennyson Hardwick Novels) (Paperback)

Licentious super-sleuth Tennyson Hardwick is back in what looks to be his most compelling case to date. South by Southeast the fourth installment in this award-winning mystery series proves to be a great addition to the already note-worthy series and as a stand-alone thriller. It starts off as a smooth comfortable tale of an ex-gigolo, part-time actor - who's lost his drive and perhaps his box office appeal. However, early on in the story there are hints that promise and deliver an entertaining read like no other - as this tale captures and moves the reader's attention on an excursion from LA to South Beach and back, at the same time Tennyson becomes engrossed in the murder investigation of several prostitutes no one seems to care about.

Tennyson Hardwick is juggling quite a few issues in his personal life - dealing with his feisty soon-to-be-adopted teenage daughter, repairing old wounds with his father, and battling with the feelings he still has for his ex-girlfriend - with so much going on, he hardly has enough time to deal with his ailing acting career.

After Tennyson lands a role in a zombie flick directed by Oscar nominated director, Gustavo Escobar, his professional life gets a needed jolt of adrenalin and things seemingly start to look up for Ten. But his less-than-spectacular come-back is marred when Tennyson finds himself thrust back into his detective role after the body of his daughter's old friend Maria, a working girl from Los Angeles washes ashore.

As Tennyson tries to make sense of the case he gets caught up in a cat and mouse game of wits with the psychotic killer. Tennyson's world is unexpectedly turned upside down when the murder gets personal by taking the life of someone close to him. Hardwick takes a vow to track down and rid the world of the heartless serial killer, but in doing so, he discovers the horror has really just begun. Vengeance is the killer's fuel and an undiscovered secret is the motive. The question is, has Tennyson underestimated his delirious demented opponent and will he survive long enough to prevent the reign of terror that is planned for Chela, April, and anyone else close to him?

This skillfully crafted suspenseful page-turner is expertly narrated in both 1st person and 3rd person POV which the writers blend seamlessly together. The authors take readers on an unforgettable journey and along the way introduce them to some of the most believable well-rounded, yet colorful characters imaginable. Characters they are able to relate to, root for, and even detest: Fallen hero, Tennyson Hardwick; Chela - a rebellious teenager with a sorted past; April - the ex-girlfriend that's trying to tame Ten; Ten's dad, Richard Hardwick - a retired LAPD Captain; Gustavo Escobar- the over-the-top director; Maria - a working girl, who mysteriously drowns; Raphael - a high-end pimp with too many resources, Mother - an aging madam with close ties to Ten and Chela, Mouse Girl - an annoying working girl, too naïve to know better, Lt. Rodrick Nelson - determine to arrest Ten for murder; Lydia Hernandez - a detective that stalls the investigation, and a few others.

South by Southeast is for a reading audience that enjoys a great mystery thriller that offers an entertaining read. It is a remarkably consuming heart-thumping knuckle-wrenching thriller, which can easily become the avid reader's new favorite novel.

I would highly recommend Blair Underwood's novels, he and his co-writers, Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes have done such a terrific job of bringing some incredibly vivid characters to life who help to tell the most intriguing stories in the Tennyson Hardwick series. The series includes: Casaenegra, In The Night of the Heat, From Cape Town with Love, and the latest, South by Southeast on sale as of 9/18/12.

4.0 out of 5 stars Praise for "South by Southeast", September 24, 2012
"South by Southeast," the latest installment in the Tennyson Hardwick series was a story line with enough twists, turns and closures that readers expect in a series. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel - finished it within 48 hours of night reading in bed. Hardwick is still the smooth, handsome, cool brother who shows more of a human side in this story, rising above the plot that involves zombies(you will catch on to the basis pretty quick as you read along). "South by Southeast" is worth the long wait for a new novel by the triple threat team of Blair Underwood, Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes. I would love to see a movie version or a cable series based on the novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars South by Southeast, November 2, 2012
This book started kind of slow, but once it got going I stayed on the edge of my seat! There were parts when I was scared to turn the page. Another well written novel for this series. I would highly recommend this and all of the previous Tennyson Hardwick novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, October 27, 2012
Another great mystery. I love em; keep em coming. Tennyson Hardwick is one of my favorite heroes. Please don't keep us waiting so long for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!, October 22, 2012
Epiphany 37 (Baton Rouge, LA) - See all my reviews
This is a great Book!!! It did not disappoint at all. I am such a fan of the Tennyson Hardwick. I can not wait until the next installment (crossing my fingers that there will be a next installment)! Great job Mr. Underwood, Ms. Due & Mr. Barnes! I LOVE IT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-Stop Nail Biting Action, October 7, 2012
At first I thought the book was by the actor Blair Underwood because the cover has a depiction of a man who looks like him and in bold letters it says Blair Underwood presents above the title.

The hero, Tennyson "Ten" Hardwick, is an actor and part time private detective. He's the mentor and guardian of a teen girl named Chela with a dark past. The book begins in Florida with the making of a movie and what seems to be the serial killings of young prostitutes. The action escalates right from the beginning and when it looks like Ten has found and taken care of the killer the book is only half over. Everything and the major characters move to California supposedly to safety. Of course, it's just the opposite--and everyone Ten loves is threatened. I would have never picked this book out on my own--and at first I wasn't sure I'd read it all the way through, but once I got started I couldn't stop.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it but..., September 23, 2012
I want to preface this review by saying that I absolutely loved the Tennyson Hardwick series. I actually had to go back and read the previous installment (From Cape Town with Love) because there were a few characters and descriptions mentioned in SXSE that referenced it and I had to refresh my memory. I waited anxiously for this book to be released but sadly, Tennyson and the crew just did not do it for me this time. I think I read somewhere that this would be the last book in the series (boooo!) and to me, it felt like this story was completed in a hurry. The storyline felt rushed and almost like the authors were trying to wrap up the series in a neat, tidy little package. The murder mystery itself wasn't very intriguing to me and I thought there could have been a few more twists to the story.

If this is the last story in the series, I am sorry to see Ten, Chela, April, et. al. go. However, if it is not, I'll be happy to see Tennyson redeem himself with a much better story next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Tennyson Hardwick Novel, November 14, 2012
I just finished reading this book. It took me about month to finish. Decided to take my time with this one and just enjoy the story. It was hard to put down but such a joy to continue reading the next day. From Cape Town with Love is my favorite so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the few series that actually get better with each book, October 22, 2012
Toni Campbell (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
One of my favorite things about this series is when it travels to different locales. Seeing Tennyson navigate and operate in unfamiliar surroundings, usually having no one to rely on but himself, makes each story richer and his character that much more complex.

Tennyson Hardwick is an actor and a reluctant private investigator who winds up solving cases mainly to protect the ones he loves. In this installment, Ten in on location in Miami with a part in a movie being directed by Hollywood's hottest director. He has brought his family along, his father Richard, Richard's girlfriend/nurse Marcela, and Ten's adpopted teenage daughter Chela, so they can have a much needed vacation while he works.

Visiting Ten on set one day, Chela runs into an old friend, Maria, who convinces her to come out with her to a club that night. When Maria's body later turns up washed up on shore, Chela convinces Ten to look into what happened to her. The resulting investigation leads us into surprising places with even more shocking results.

This is one of the few series that actually get better with each book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not as good as the first 3 books in the series, October 16, 2012
**Spoiler Alerts** It would be an understatement to say that I am a fan of the Tennyson Hardwick books and I have read them all. I loved the first three books so much that it felt like torture waiting for book 4. The beginning of this book was a little slow for me but it picked up after a while and I was able to read 10 chapters in a setting. I just really never got to the place where I was on the edge of my seat. I felt like there was a loose end in the part involving Mother's death because it wasn't clear whether Escobar meant to frame Tennyson or not. Actually not really sure why Escobar would feel like Mother's death would hurt Tennyson in any way at all. I didn't like the references to Hong Kong as if we had missed some other book between this one and the last. Marsha was a non*-factor and really shouldn't have been mentioned. Might have been better if Chela had confided in Lt. Nelson and he was the one that swooped in to save Tennyson and April. The ending at the tar pits didn't have me on the edge of my seat like some of the fights where Tennyson faced death, and I came away from this book thinking that its time for Blair Underwood and his fellow writers to move on to a new subject matter.

South by Southeast: A Tennyson Hardwick Novel (Tennyson Hardwick Novels)
South by Southeast: A Tennyson Hardwick Novel (Tennyson Hardwick Novels) by Blair Underwood (Paperback - September 18, 2012)
$15.00 $12.37