5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a book for this area
While the Suset "Western Guidebook" is the quintessential book for all those who garden in the area, it is wonderful to read a book such as this that addresses our area specifically. What is especially helpful is the monthly guide for planting and garden care. With good advice to organic garden care. For anybody who lives in So. Cal., I recommend this book highly.
Published on August 21, 2010 by cjwall3

3.0 out of 5 stars Pat Welsh's Souther California Organic Gardening
Nice to have in your library, but if you have her previous book it is too much repeat.
Published on July 9, 2010 by Charmaine Birdsall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a book for this area, August 21, 2010
This review is from: Pat Welsh's Southern California Organic Gardening (3rd Edition): Month by Month (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME RESOURCE, December 23, 2011
I love this book. My garden is still a hot mess, but not because of a lack of info, only because of lack of energy and committment.
I love that it speaks to specifically southern california and our struggles here to keep plants alive in a desert climate. I live about 5 miles from the beach and we have our own microclimate. many plants have paid with their lives, but this book addresses issues to help keep them safe and alive. She goes month by month on what we should be doing and of course you can read ahead to know what you will be doing. this helps with budgeting as well. no surprises and some really easy advice to follow. each page has a wealth of knowledge and gems that you would find in the nooks of the book. if you are in so cal and are interested in gardening, you should already be an owner of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Southern California gardeners, August 5, 2011
This books puts the months of the year as it relates to my garden into perspective. I know what to do and I know when to do it. I have learned so many things. Over the last five years I read the coming month as it closes in. It's easy to digest one month at a time. I keep learning new things and attempt new ones as I'm ready to do more. Even if you are not into growing vegetables it says so much on maintaining your lawn, shrubs, roses and trees. When (and how) to plant flowers. On top of all that the book discusses options for low-water plants and water saving techniques.

Finally - this book has allowed me to enjoy my yard more as I have found ways to make it easier and require less time to get more out of it.

If you are not from Southern California it's still a great book especially if you live in the South where winters are light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably better for somebody with at least minimal gardening skills, November 29, 2012
I think that if I had a little more basic gardening skills this book would be so helpful. And I think eventually it will be my gardening bible. But for someone like me who is just starting out, it makes everything seem really overwhelming. I think I should have started with gardening for dummies and moved on from there! But so far I have used it to figure out what to plant this fall in my area of California and that was really helpful in picking out seeds and plants at the nursery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Southern California Gardeners, July 8, 2012
I bought this Pat Welsh book from Amazon in 2011. The book is specifically written for Southern California gardeners. It's key contribution is a monthly "check list" and discussion of tasks to complete each month of the year. The book simplifies management of one's gardens including fertilizing, pruning, planting, and other tasks. Very practical and easy to work with. Pat's an experienced and gifted no-nonsense instructor. She also offers personal gardening advice online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, February 3, 2013
I bought for my sister-in-law and she loves it. It's an excellent reference for someone whose already a pretty skilled gardener.

4.0 out of 5 stars For Flower beds, January 16, 2014
Nice in that it condenses the types of plants required for California's hot weather and doesn't list stuff for upstate New York.
Covers some garden mixes for good results and water retentention. Useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gardening in Southern California is different!, December 20, 2013
The author gives very good tips on growing quite a variety of plants.
I especially like the "things to do this month"check list at the end of each section.
The only possible negative is that I doubt that most of us casual gardeners
would be able to put in the time she seems to spend keeping it all
green and healthy. Still I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential & Entertaining!, September 19, 2012
Pat takes her classic gardening guide for Southern California and gives it a most timely update with a focus on organic growing. She makes a compelling common sense case for why we should want to go organic and then makes it easy and fun. The month-by-month chapters simplify everything. It's a delight to read,amazingly comprehensive and would make a fabulous gift for every gardener and nature lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars the BEST overall Organic Gardening Book for San Diego/LA, August 28, 2012
Dr. M. A. Dixon "hyper-observant" (last seen singing in her ocean-view garden) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Pat Welsh's Southern California Organic Gardening (3rd Edition): Month by Month is a great book with chapters by month for easy reference for what to do for your lawn, trees, flowers, edibles, etc. If you are interested merely in the edibles, another great reference would be Golden Gate Gardening, 3rd Edition: The Complete Guide to Year-Round Food Gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area & Coastal California. Neither book is all that pretty, but both are packed full of expertise specific to southern coastal california region.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›