4.0 out of 5 stars touching, enlightening, and profound
This sensitive documentary chronicles the lives several gender-bending and mind-bending sets of transsexual couples. The central character, who has become a man, is ironically dying of ovarian cancer. He was repeatedly refused treatment by the medical establishment because of his identity as a transsexual. The unconventionality of these individuals is touchingly...
Published on October 27, 2003 by E. Karasik

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!
Opened my word to this culture. It is the beginning of my education into the trans world and I will continue to learn more.
Published 23 months ago by Ev

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true love in the transgender community in the south., April 18, 2014
This is an object lesson about love and tolerance for the different in our world. The most poignant words about this story come from Lola Cola who says"nature delights in diversity...why can't we?". Deserves a watch for the brave, just spirit in you...

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of a classic work "Southern Comfort", February 27, 2014
This review is from: Southern Comfort [VHS] (VHS Tape)
An original theme for a story that gives credible belief to a location, a Louisana swamp, where a bunch of national guard persons were called to do their mandatory 2 week call-up. A story beautifully told by a great list of classic actors, truly a must see film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant Movie, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Southern Comfort (DVD)
This movie touches upon our transgender lives in so many ways. It touches our immediate families, the families we create, our friends, the ones that we love and very importantly it touches our own mortality. Robert and his love, Lola, face up to terrible circumstances with courage and love.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Sad, January 2, 2013
great documentary, but emotional and difficult. It just proves the point that we all just want to be loved, and this story is a beautiful testament to that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!, October 30, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab the tissues before you sit down, March 1, 2012
This review is from: Southern Comfort (DVD)
I wish this movie was required viewing for anyone that was interested in a medical or health care career. The disparities that exist in obtaining quality medical care for the Transgender community is just disgusting. As a friend of the Trans community, this movie made me mad. I wasn't mad about anything the characters did, I was mad about what was done to them. The medical providers (I refuse to use the word "professionals", and I don't think Amazon would let me call them what I really want) who refused to provide service should be ashamed of themselves. Quite frankly, I don't think they should be practicing medicine at all. Stepping down of my soapbox, I do highly recommend this movie, as long as you have some tissue with you as well. Two of the main characters have since passed away, but their bravery and courage should be remembered forever. These Trans pioneers are how society changes for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformed Man, June 28, 2010
This review is from: Southern Comfort (DVD)
"Southern Comfort" is a powerful, gripping documentary chronicling the final year of Robert Eads.Eads was born a woman (his son and his parents still refer to him in feminine ways), but has transitioned to masculinity--and in a tragic twist, is dying from uterine/ovarian cancer. He has a "chosen family" down in Georgia--young men who were born women, and Lola,a woman who is transitioning from manhood. In his final year, Eads finds love with Lola. On the surface, they look like the conventional heterosexual couple. Eads says that when he was female, he wasn't a lesbian, but a straight man who loved woman. He finds a woman who is still, to a certain extent, a man.

"Southern Comfort" is the name of the transgender convention that Eads and his friends attends. Eads describes it as a cotillion/coming out party. Despite his frailty, Eads is able to attend and make a speech. Tragically, Eads has been denied medical care... simply because he's transgender. One scene juxtaposes Maxwell (a former female) and his girlfriend Corry (a former male) taking hormonal injection shots, while Eads is taking his cancer drugs. He introduces his friend Cassie, an outcast of sorts because her husband was formerly female. Eads says of Cassie "she doesn't have a lesbian bone in her body."

"Southern Comfort" is a powerful documentary about the human condition and gender identity. Eads' call for compassion resonates with the Golden Rule and the Hippocratic Oath "first, do no harm." It ends with his ashes being scattered under a Christmas tree. One gets the sense he found peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real love story, May 25, 2009
Brooke "Jakes Mama" (Eddington, Maine USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Southern Comfort (DVD)
Southern Comfort is a sweet, sad, mezmerizing love story. In the face of tradgedy and adversity these 2 people found each other and had the deepest kind of love until one passed away. I found it to be magical and while sad it made me smile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth seeing, June 17, 2008
LeeAnn (Mpls Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Southern Comfort (DVD)
We all struggle, the main character in this documentary more so than most of us, but he does so with bravery and grace. The people are rough around the edges, which I struggle with, but it was a good reminder to me to try to be more tolerant of all people. I felt the full range of emotions before it was over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be open-minded, April 3, 2008
This review is from: Southern Comfort (DVD)
Unbelievable, unbelievable, unbelievable. . .but you will believe by the end of this movie.
Why, I find myself--asking unbelievably--after the film, can't there be more men like this?
Humans, humans, humans--you will see; not freaks.

Southern Comfort
Southern Comfort by Kate Davis (DVD - 2003)
$19.95 $17.08