4.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition to my collection....
If you're looking for the famous biscuit recipe, you won't find it. But you don't have to buy the book to figure that one out. Just peruse the index/t.o.c prior to purchase to see the recipes offered in round two of the Loveless Cafe.

Published on November 12, 2006 by J. K. Weaver

2.0 out of 5 stars Hoodwinked
I too bought the Southern Country Cooking from the Loveless Cafe to obtain the Scratch Biscuits recipe, as seen on a T.V. program. Carol Fay did not provide the ingredients but eluded to the fact that to get it, we should buy the cookbook. The description of the book refers to the biscuits but does not contain the recipe. Another lesson learned.
Published on June 8, 2005 by Cookie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition to my collection...., November 12, 2006
J. K. Weaver (Sarasota, FL USA) - See all my reviews

I have the first Loveless Cafe cookbook, from when it was featured on Discovery Daytime 5 or 6 years ago. The lasagna recipe is excellent. From the second cookbook, I've tried the mashed potatoes & macaroni & cheese recipes.... also excellent. However for a family of 4 (such as ours), you're best suited to cut both recipes in half unless you're planning to feed an army. I served half of each recipe for dinner, and had to place the other halves in the freezer for later meals.

PS: In reading the other posts, I seriously doubt there's Gin in the biscuit recipe. Buttermilk is usually the secret ingredient which lends biscuits that 'kick in the background'. The previous best-guess-recipe is missing lard. My best guess for the secret biscuit recipe includes flour, baking powder, salt, crisco from the can, buttermilk, & melted butter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hoodwinked, June 8, 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Deviled Egg Soup?, September 26, 2006
I recently purchased this cookbook and tried the recipe for Deviled Eggs on page 73. How do you stuff an egg with a soupy, runny mess? Obviously this recipe is flawed. I spooned up the mess to taste-test it (or should I say drink it?). It was far too tart and mustardy. Aren't the recipes tested before they're printed? It was the first recipe I tried from this cookbook, but it was such a disaster that all other recipes are suspect for me now. It does contain entertaining pictures and reading material. I just hope that the other recipes aren't as flawed as this one. Also disappointed that the biscuit recipe isn't included.

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth it, August 31, 2005
Routine Southern recipes for hams, etc.. the only recipe that would have been worthwhile to purchase and read would have been the biscuit recipe (inticingly pictured on the book's cover) however, that one they left out..every other dish u can find on the internet or in a real Southern cooking cookbook. Save your money on this one. I gave mine away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New, March 8, 2007
There is really nothing new to be gotten from this book or any improvement to any old recipes. Some of the instructions are confusing and some pictures such as the chess pie refer you to page that has a different recipe than what is pictured. Nothing to be learned here with this book. Very disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loveless cafe cookbook - well worth it!, October 17, 2007
P. Kemp (Nashville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I got the book as an early wedding present from my fiance. We have been to the Loveless Cafe many times. I was aware that the bisquit recipe wasn't in the book. You will never pry it from the Loveless Cafe. I have made several things from the book and they have been excellent. The peanut butter pie is very good, plus it freezes very well. So far, I'm thrilled. I can't wait to try other things from the book. It's a book for those that love Southern cooking. Mighty fine cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, May 14, 2008
One of our favorite places to eat in Nashville! This book is great! I have made many of the desserts. They always come out perfect AND they can feed a crowd. Whenever I make something out of this book, everyone wants to know the recipe...I can't say enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cookbook!, April 25, 2012
I love the cookbook. My sister and I traveled to Nashville last July 4th for several days and we dined at the Loveless Cafe. It was so good! I knew the biscuit recipe wasn't in the cookbook. You can't expect a restaurant to reveal all of their best recipes. I love the book and all of the recipes I have tried thus far.

5.0 out of 5 stars So.Country Cooking from the Loveless Cafe, January 10, 2014
I saw this book before I purchased it. Some friends had gone to Loveless Cafe and eaten there. They raved about the food. After seeing the book, I was happy to find it on Amazon. I was pleased with the promptness of the order as well as the book. The recipes are pretty simple. Just simple, good, down home cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone can cook souther food, December 8, 2013
If you like southern food, even if you never have been to the south. Just make a variety of foods for your family and guest and see them enjoy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›