5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook series ever!
This is a great book. Southern Living has kept the cookbook series going with the best recipes ever! Since owning this cookbook series I have virtually gotten rid of all other cookbooks. They have recipes for every occassion and all are failure resistent.
Published on November 13, 2000 by joycelynn

2.0 out of 5 stars wrong book
ordered 2004 book. the picture on this book is not the right picture. i received 2000 in the mail and the picture on the front ofthis book is a star cake. wrong book wrong picture on the book adversited. very dissapointed company wanted me to pay postage back and a restocking fee. would have cost me more than i paid to get the right book.
Published 21 months ago by Phyllis Padgett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook series ever!, November 13, 2000
joycelynn (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Southern Like Grandmother Made, June 15, 2005
Being Southern born, when I first picked up this book I went looking for things that Grandmother used to cook.

In the first few pages I found "Hot-Water Cornbread." Yup! The recipe was right on. To be sure, Grandmother used yellow cornmeal rather than white, but that's OK. And in the recipe says "stir until the batter is the consistency of grits." -- That's southern.

Speaking of grits, there are six different dishes cooked with grits. I've only cooked four of those so far. (For you yankees, grits is polenta.) One recipe was not so good, it called for quick cooking grits. No self-respecting southerner would use quick grits. Instead get some good stone ground yellow grits. (Google will give you a lot of choices when you search for "stone ground grits." I've not tried them all, but all that I've tried have been good.)

This book is a collection of recipes from Southern Living magazine. They take a pretty wide interpretation of southern including gumbo from Louisiana, some Texas/western dishes, and even some Mexican.

As an annual book, this one contains a selection of recipes that were well received by the readers and by the magazine staff. It's a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lavishly Illustrated Inspiration for Every Table, January 14, 2003
This review is from: Southern Living: 2002 Annual Recipes (Hardcover)
I bought my first Southern Living Annual Recipe Cookbook in 1995 and it was such a stand-out favorite in my collection that I've added several more editions since. These cookbooks consistently offer extensive recipe collections (hundreds) organized by the month they appear in the magazine -- I find this feature expecially helpful in the spring and summer when I am looking for lighter meals to prepare for my family.
Although I have an extensive (fifty plus) collection of cookbooks I find myself reaching for these books first whenever I am looking for inspiration for a special meal or party. The entertaining ideas and tips always offer up something fresh, new and easy to try.
Those of us who live in the colder climes of the north appreciate the soul-soothing traditional foods of our southern sisters. So, if you are looking for a tasty plate of chicken or a hot bowl of spicy gumbo you are sure to find it in these collections. But you will positively find a wide variety of other tastes and cooking needs met here too.
I'm an avid and experienced cook and I really enjoy the clear organization of these books and the individual recipes. Novice cooks will also find the directions consistently clear and easy to use.
I think the best thing about the Southern Living Annual Recipe collections are the illustrations, which are strikingly beautiful photographs that rate right up there with cookbooks in my collection that cost twice as much.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Cookbook, December 7, 2000
I would not miss buying the new Southern Living Annual Recipes each year! The recipes are always dependably wonderful and a real hit for family meals or special occassions. The new layout(in the last couple of years) is much more appealing than the old books. The appealing photos make me even more interested in trying a new dish. Thanks for another great year!

5.0 out of 5 stars "You'll notice more light and healthy selections in this book...", May 3, 2006
Every recipe published by Southern Living in 2004--traditional and seasonal southern recipes, including variations on grits, ribs, grilled specialties, congealed salads, catfish, and many pound cakes--share pages with lighter fare--Braised Tuscan Pork Loin (with cannelini beans), Salmon with Lemon and Olive Oil, and Shrimp with Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce. The dessert favorites for which Southern Living is famous--the pound cakes, including the gorgeous cover feature (Cream Cheese-Coconut-Pecan Pound Cake), the chocolate specialties (like Rudolph's Chocolate Truffle Cake) and the creme brulees, like the Pina Colada Creme Brulee here--continue, but more attention is paid to less fat-laden desserts, such as the Creamy Lime Cakes (individual versions of old-fashioned pudding cakes), and a lower fat Strawberry-Lemon Cheesecake.

As the wife of someone who underwent successful triple bypass surgery two years ago, I've long given up the pound cakes with their 254 g. of saturated fat, which is the fat content of the gorgeous-looking pound cake on the cover (which serves ten). Cardiologists recommend that a healthy person eat no more than 20 g. of saturated fat in a DAY, and cardiac patients should limit themselves to only 10 g. of saturated fat per day.

Though the Healthy and Light recipes are a relatively small percentage of total (51 recipes in total), they are well tested and delicious, and most of them do not taste "lowfat." Some recipes included among the general recipes are also low-fat, though there are no nutritional values for them listed here to indicate that--only the "light and healthy" recipes include nutritional information. The recipes using yogurt, including Greek tzatziki, yogurt-cucumber sauce for shrimp, yogurt lime sauce for pork, and appetizers using yogurt cheese, all fall into the lower fat category, though they are not listed as such. The Roasted Sweet Onions, the Black Bean Corn Salsa, and some of the pasta recipes are also lower in fat.

Including the test kitchen's choices for Best Recipes of 2004, an enhanced Healthy and Light section, Top-Rated Menus, the 2004 Cookoff Winners, a Cooking School Bonus Section, and several indexes--for menus, titles, month-by-month specialties, and a general index--the book is well organized and accessible. Though the recipes tend to be heavy on the fat, and laden with butter, eggs, and cream, they are delicious for those who can afford to eat them. Perhaps someday in the future Southern Living will provide nutritional information for all their recipes to promote awareness of the relationship between saturated fats and heart disease for an audience that is aging and increasingly dependent on healthy cooking. n Mary Whipple

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, July 15, 2004
This review is from: Southern Living: 2002 Annual Recipes (Hardcover)
I started with the 2001 edition of this book and ever since, I've been hooked. I now have over 30 Southern Living cookbooks and I use them daily! The recipes are easy, you can even cook an entire menu for dinner parties, etc. which they plan out for you. It's so very easy and very, very good food that I just keep coming back for more. The desserts are just ridiculously out of this world! It's worth buying just for that!

2.0 out of 5 stars wrong book, February 20, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Time and Quality, January 5, 2011
I ordered 5 different Southern Living Annual Recipes from 5 different sellers.
This is the first one to arrive. The book is in very good shape just as the seller stated.
I am very pleased and I would order from this sight again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Cookbooks, January 7, 2010
I collect the Southern Living Annual Recipe Books. They are easy to make recipes using items you usually have at home. Most recipes are very good. The book is easy to follow with beautiful pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Southern Living Collection, August 28, 2009
This review is from: Southern Living: 2002 Annual Recipes (Hardcover)
I gave my collection of Southern Living Annual Recipes to my niece and was missing the 2002 Annual. I was pleased to find it so reasonably priced. It arrived in great condition.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Southern Living: 2002 Annual Recipes
Southern Living: 2002 Annual Recipes by Nancy Fitzpatrick Wyatt (Hardcover - Nov. 2002)
Used & New from: $0.01