5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious soups
Published on November 25, 2010 by Ken Langeberg

2.0 out of 5 stars Woefully outdated.
Published on May 19, 2007 by Mary Whipple

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious soups, November 25, 2010
This review is from: Southern Living All Time Favorite Soup and Stews Recipes (Paperback)
The lady reviewing below sounds like she really knows what she is talking about and I have no reason to doubt her. However, I can only say that I have found the soups in this book to be absolutely delicious. In fact, I am only on this site right now because I have just ordered two more of these books (one each for my two daughters) for Christmas. FWIW, other soup books that I like are "The Ultimate Soup Cookbook " (Reader's Digest) and "Soup and Stew Recipes" (SouthernLiving).

2.0 out of 5 stars Woefully outdated., May 19, 2007
As a fan of soups and of Southern Living magazine, I ordered this cookbook from Amazon, sight unseen. I knew ahead of time that I would have to pare down the recipes in terms of calories and saturated fats, since Southern Living has been slow to respond to the increasing interest in healthy recipes, but I was sure I'd find some great ideas and attractive presentations here, and I did. Unfortunately, this 1996 cookbook is so outdated in terms of healthy choices that there are only five recipes that I use or will use from a book of one hundred forty pages and almost two hundred recipes.

The "Light Soups" section is only fourteen pages long, but most of these recipes do not qualify as "light" by today's standards. The French Onion Soup calls for two cups of cheese and ¼ c. of butter. Four more cheese soup recipes are included in the "Light" section, and one of these, the Beer-Cheese Soup, requires five (8 oz.) jars of processed cheese spread!

On the good side, the Spicy Thai Lobster Soup is light, delicious, and low in fats. The Tomatillo-Jicama Soup is interesting and unusual, and, by substituting one cup of nonfat half-and-half for the full fat variety called for, it is healthy and tasty, too. The Butternut Squash and Apple Soup and the Pumpkin-Pear Soup are on my company and family menus. The Italian Wedding Soup (with the substitution of fresh chopped spinach instead of frozen) looks wonderful.

The wide variety of other vegetable soup, chili, Brunswick stew, burgoo, chowder, and meat and chicken-based soups, however, often call for condensed canned soup, including cream of mushroom soup, as their base. Canned chicken broth, canned stewed tomatoes, canned asparagus, canned artichokes, processed cheese, heavy cream, and frozen fish and shrimp are main ingredients. It is possible to substitute fresh for some of the canned or frozen ingredients, but there are plenty of cookbooks already available that call for fresh ingredients from the start.

The recipe for Creamy Mushroom Soup epitomizes this cookbook--four cans cream of mushroom soup, two cups half-and-half, two cups whole milk, eight ounces sour cream, and eight ounces processed cheese--over 150 grams of saturated fat. This cookbook is a relic--written before home cooks demanded healthier recipes. n Mary Whipple

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, February 23, 2014
I would recommend this book - very good recipes- with pictures to help with many of them - Happy with Southern Living and Amazon

Southern Living All Time Favorite Soup and Stews Recipes
Southern Living All Time Favorite Soup and Stews Recipes by Oxmoor House (Paperback - Oct. 1996)
Used & New from: $0.01