4.0 out of 5 stars Solid mature Morse, sublime moments, consistent craftmanship
Published on June 12, 1998 by shuretime@earthlink.net

2.0 out of 5 stars I Have To Disagree
I've been a fan of Steve Morse since 'Free Fall' and remember seeing the (when they were still called) Dixie Dregs in a converted Knights of Columbus in Islip, Long Island in the 70's with at most 10-15 people in the audience. That band was a musical life-changing experience, like the Mahavishnu Orchestra for southern rock fans. As much as his chops, I've always been...
Published on December 28, 2011 by frankp93

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid mature Morse, sublime moments, consistent craftmanship, June 12, 1998
This review is from: Southern Steel (Audio CD)
Morse is a giant in guitar performance and instrumental composition, and a long-time Gallery of the Greats resident in Guitar Player Magazine's readership rankings. This album is securely in his recent tradition, tending more to the electric side of things with tunes like "Arena Rock", "Weekend Overdrive", "Cut to the Chase", Sleaze Factor" and the title tune, "Southern Steel". "Simple Simon" and "Arena Rock" have deep-diving hooks that settle into memory, and the title tune can still pull a tear out of me. Morse is a master of "leave 'em wanting more", by building a tune with progressive harmonies and counterpoint into a symphonic crescendo and just as it's at the transcendent blend, fading the song out. My test for an album is how many times I can play it in obsessive succession, over and over, before I'm sick of it. I'm still spinning this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars best batch of songs overall, April 2, 2005
Howard L Lambert (Lemoore, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Southern Steel (Audio CD)
I've owned several Morse CDs in the past, and, although they're all good, there's usually only a couple of standouts per disk. Southern Steel has the most standouts of the CDs I've listened to.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredible Guitarist Displays His Many Talents, September 6, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Southern Steel (Audio CD)
I first heard of Steve Morse when I saw him with Deep Purple live. It was quite a moment.
Listening to the first of his solo albums I could find was much the same way. He displays all the facets of his playing in the highly listen-able album. From the shredding solos of "Cut to the Chase" to the almost blues-grunge of "Sleaze Factor" to the quiet strains of the Bach-inspired "Point Counterpoint," the whole album is sonically stunning.
It's not just a guitar-orgy though, bassist Dave LaRue adds some incredible beats and soloing. Highly recommended for anyone who likes Satriani-style guitar instrumentals.

5.0 out of 5 stars King Crimson and the like, but I'd never heard so much mastery from ..., August 1, 2014
This review is from: Southern Steel (Audio CD)
I went and saw the Dregs (which is the band Steve formed before the Steve Morse band for those that don't know) when I was 16. It was the night they recorded "Bring 'Em Back Alive" at Center Stage in Atlanta. I'm 40 now. I feel a bit pretentious being a non-musician and reviewing a Steve Morse Band album, but I'll do it since I'm not criticizing.

This was the first Steve Morse Band album that I bought after hearing the Dregs that evening. I eventually got them all of course, but this was the first. I was a teenager, so my only source of income was mowing lawns, so I'd mow a few lawns and make enough to go and get a couple more CD's (this was also not VERY long after the CD format was introduced - less than a decade I would surmise).

I was into Jeff Beck, Bill Bruford, Steve Vai, UK, King Crimson and the like, but I'd never heard so much mastery from a single musician (let alone an entire band). I was floored again after hearing this CD.

There's not a weak track in the bunch. I mean to say that literally every single song on this CD is strong and has a definite direction. That's where lots of other guitarists that can play really great lose me. Sometimes they seem to be playing licks just for the sake of playing licks (again I'm no musician. This is my opinion). Morse's compositions are strong. Let me put it this way as well from experience. If you aren't a musician and are used to top 40, you'll either love it or hate it. If you are a musician, you will, at the very least, appreciate it.

If you play guitar, stop reading this review now and buy the disc. It's that simple. There are very few (if any) alive that dedicate themselves to something at the level Morse does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, May 21, 2008
This review is from: Southern Steel (Audio CD)
Steve Morse is such a versatile guitar player, and man can he play. He is one of my favorite guitarists, not just because of his technique, but his songwriting is engaging, catchy, and exciting. Every one of his solo discs is a blend of rock, jazz, country, funk, and classical. This release has southern rock flair to it, hence the album title, and his band - Dave LaRue (bass), and Van Romaine (drums) are electrifying. This is a 38-minute no filler disc that anyone who loves instrumental music should have. Be sure to check out his other solo albums, cause they're all good.

5.0 out of 5 stars a 5 Star Rating is Still too Low, September 13, 2008
J. D. Hisey (San Clemente, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Southern Steel (Audio CD)
In case you didn't get it from the above reviews, this guy rocks his a** off. I too, have been a huge fan since the '80's and have seen the Steve Morse Band in concert - don't cheat yourself out of one heck of a night. This particlar CD is the cremdelacrem of the SMB. His group the Dregs/Dixie Dregs was phenomenal also, but SMB is just a three man wall of rock, no words getting in the way, just an adrenaline pumping romp. If you don't have it yet, get it here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Morse at his finest, August 8, 2011
Ryan (Coronado CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Southern Steel (Audio CD)
Out of all the musical endeavors he participated in, the Steve Morse Band is perhaps the most significant and personal one. This instrumental trio is well known for re-inventing rock in all possible ways, mixing it with jazz, country, funk and even bluegrass. "Southern Steel" from 1991 is to this day considered one of the finest albums the band has ever released.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of SMB's best CDs, February 12, 2003
"haggar36" (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Southern Steel (Audio CD)
I've been a Dregs/Steve Morse fan since the early 80's. I have virtually every CD he has ever put out. They are all great, but some are simply incredible. Southern Steel is incredible. Steve Morse is simply the best guitar player alive. I find his ability, range, style, and breadth of talent, remarkable. This CD is just awesome. All of the tunes are great, however, Simple Simon, may be, the best of the best. The musical genius that is Steve Morse should not be missed. The other band members are great too. It's hard to miss Dave LaRue's bass tracks. I've never heard a bass player as good as this guy. Awesome stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars His Best, Y'all, May 26, 2007
takethekman (Oakland, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Southern Steel (Audio CD)
It's a Southern thing, I reckon; I'm running out of title ideas, obviously. But it is his best, regardless of my lame title; From the trading solos on 'Cut to the Chase' w/Jeff Watson to incredibly solid, intricate bass and drumwork, this is a CD filled with accomplished playing on all levels; The songs are filled with surprising turns, and are actually great songs without being overly long. Morse is a master of various styles, and this will give you a sampling of nearly all of them on what I consider his best solo work. And that was a hard choice to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve Morse, March 24, 2014
Danny Allen "Harleypop" (Dallas, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Southern Steel (Audio CD)
Anyone who enjoys great guitar playing has to love Steve Morse. He plays notes that most players can only dream of playing.

Southern Steel
Southern Steel by Steve Morse (Audio CD - 1991)