Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on July 29, 2013
Well, that's just life, isn't it? Brilliant shows like Southland got cancelled but absolute human vomits like the Kardashians or Real Housewives or Honey Boo Boo stay on the air.....
44 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2013
RIP to a GREAT show. It seems that the shallow shows linger while the Great quality shows get cancelled.
Enough said.
22 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2013
This is no doubt one of the very best cop shows that will ever grace us with its presence. The cast and crew are the best around. From their finished product to what we see on tv to the fantastic way they interact with us online and in person. I can't even find the words to describe it. You just have to trust. Cudlitz gives the performance of his life in "Chaos". I will never forget it. If it doesn't get nominated THAT will be a crime.
on February 18, 2013
One of the very best TV shows I have ever seen. Rivoting edge of the seat excitement and action. I started watching Southland just to satify my curiosity. One episode and I'm hooked. I have yet to watch any episode I didn't like. I will continue watching this series for as long as it plays. Fantastic action throughout the entire show. Southland, you have a new fan.
on August 24, 2013
So many times I hear people say there isn't very much on television that's worth watching. This is an example of television programming as art. The actors are masterful in their performances, and the writing is both compelling and complex. There are no heroes here, just very three dimensional men and women living heroic lives on the job. I confess I was in disbelief that this show was cancelled, but not surprised. These days programs that are "too good to be true" often end up on the scrap heap. I sometimes wonder if it's because they really are too good, and some people "in the industry" cannot handle the competition. In any event, this entire series is not just worth seeing, it's worth owning.
on July 1, 2013
The cops come across as real people with both light and shadow sides of their personalities. What makes us is not our past, but our choices . This theme is played out all through this program in the lives of each cop. Their job becomes the fire by which they are tested and molded, and which only the strong make it.
on March 9, 2013
This is a very well written show with really good acting. The story lines are amazing. Most shows fizzle out in year two, but this one from the beginning has stayed strong and interesting. If you are into story lines, and real good character acting this show is for you. I would suggest starting with Season One Premier and if you like it go from there.
on June 13, 2013
Brutally realistic depiction of lifes, loves, challenges and human weakness of the life of Los Angeles police officers. Forget the other cop shows, this is the REAL one.
on May 11, 2014
There are a lot of reviews on here, and I have to say I am surprised at the number of 5-stars for Season 5. Seasons 1-4 are the pinnacle of modern cop shows. This show actually thinks about competing with NYPD Blue in the pantheon of great cop shows. That's high praise, at least from me. Of course, Southland follows the contemporary formula of upping the violence levels to ultra-realistic and disturbing heights--yet it has always done so in service to the story. Either it was realistic and largely unexplored in the genre, so they explored it. Or it was disturbing, and it affected or corrupted a character, so it served the story--and it was done well, even if it was ugly. But it worked--and the gritty realism, whether the f-bombs (unbleeped on the DVDs) or the violence, were always used in service to the story, which was generally a show about heroes doing terrifying work and still living their personal lives out around it, even if they were flawed or the work itself ate them up.

As a tremendous fan of the show, I went into Season 5 excited and ready for more.

They lost "it," in my opinion. Characters went too far and were driven by a storyline, but it wasn't what this character would have done a season ago. I could take that, because sometimes people just make stupid mistakes, but it was part of a pattern of pushing the envelope just for pushing the envelope's sake. At one point, the show just went and did a terrifying episode that was monumentally gripping but pushed the thing over into almost the horror/thriller genre rather than cop show. It may have even been realistic, but it was clearly the shock-value driving the story, and, at this point in Season 5, the show was driving somewhere I didn't want to go anymore.

I finished it out as it aired, hoping things would level out, but it ended on a sour note, and there's no resolving things with no Season 6. But, with where the writing went, I may have skipped another season of this show anyway. I never checked to see if the writers changed or if the show was being given notes from the network to be even more over-the-top so TNT could out-do other cable shows that went for shock value, but I really suspect that's what happened here and where the show went off the rails a bit.

All that stated, if you like the shock-value shlock stuffed into otherwise decent shows, you might still like this season. If I was going to recommend a cop show to someone, Southland would still be among the top shows on the list, easily. But I would really only recommend seasons 1-4 and tell someone not to ruin things with Season 5. I'm sure it had it's moments, but they really were not worth the less appealing parts, and Season 5 overall is not the way I want to remember the show.
on September 4, 2013
TNT committed a crime in canceling this show. All seasons are outstanding. This fifth and final season is intensely gripping, particularly the last two episodes. Outstanding acting by the entire ensemble of actors, but Michael Cudlitz stands out above all. One of the best shows ever on television.