Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tribest Soyabella SB-132 Soymilk Maker and Tofu Kit
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Style Name: Soymilk Maker and Tofu Kit|Change

on January 14, 2008
Awesome product, awesome result.

When buying an appliance, it is important to know what to expect - and not to expect - from it; many of the negative reviews for the Soyabella (and other soymilk makers) seem to be from people who had the wrong idea about what soymilk makers actually /do/.

When made the old-fashioned way, making your own soymilk consists (a) soaking the beans in cold water, (b) grinding the soaked beans into a paste, (c) two to four hours of simmering, skimming, and keeping pots of water and soybean-paste from boiling over, (d) straining resulting hot liquid to get out the bean fiber, and (e) seasoning to taste. It's not hard to do at home, but it's tiring and very time consuming. Automatic soymilk makers replace the hours of heating and processing beans and water into a milk-like solution with a casual 15-minute wait, and do some of the straining for you. They do /not/ fully strain the liquid (that takes too fine a sieve - it would clog incessantly) or conjure seasonings out of thin air.

If you're serious about getting the price savings (about a quarter the cost), energy and resource savings (no packaging or fuel used to get it to you) and convenience (no need to run to the store when you need more), be realistic about what the Soyabella will do for you - and you'll find yourself enjoying the best soymilk you've ever tasted.

And so:

1) Soak your beans for 8-12 hours.
2) Run the soymilk maker.
3) Pour the resulting soymilk through cheesecloth or a /very/ fine sieve, to remove the last 'gritty' particles.
4) If desired, season with a bit of salt, sweetener, and whatever else you fancy (vanilla anyone?)

We've been using our Soyabella for several weeks now, and have had consistent, delicious results. Not only is the soymilk excellent, but it makes a great-tasting tofu, as well. The okara (leftover bean mash - you're not throwing that stuff out, are you? It's a powerhouse of nutrition and a free bonus) is of similarly high quality, and has become a staple mixed into doughs for our breads, muffins, and even cookies.
22 comments|168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2007
Very simple to use and very clear instructions. If I had previously known that a a soy milk machine like this existed, I would have purchased it. While cleanup could still be easier, the finished product tastes like the fresh-made Chinese soy milks in Asia. If you add a bit of sugar and vanilla, it also tastes like the western soy milks. I have made more than 12 batches of soy milk and two of almond milk... and the left-over, high-fibre okara makes great omelets and can be used as a meat substitute. The soy milk can also be turned into "flower tofu" by adding a coagulant and some ginger syrup. It has been both a fun and educational purchase.
11 comment|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2010
I absolutely love this machine!! I have not used it to make soy milk though. I am a raw foodist so I got this amazing little time saver to make raw almond milk, nut butters, and for grinding flax/nuts/spices. I have found this machine to do all of these things absolutely perfectly & without any type of problem. I have had mine for 3 years and haven't had one mechanical problem.

Other reviewers have complained about...
The sound - I actually enjoy the sound because you can hear it working & can stop the machine if you just want a coarse grind or what not. Really it is not that loud.

A sharp blade - well yeah I'm glad I haven't had to send it back to be resharpened. Just be careful when you are handling the unit and you won't cut yourself - you know how to use a knife right? Same principles apply here.

Hard to clean - just make sure you clean the screens right away & don't let them sit or else it might be a bit more difficult. Most of the time I can just empty out what I was making, add water, and run to clean it thoroughly.

The milk doesn't taste good - well this is probably the operators fault. There are recipes you can follow and if you expect to just throw some soy beans or almonds in there with some water and expect it to taste like the store bought with tons of other stuff added it really isn't going to happen. Try adding dates, vanilla, agave, sea salt, carob - whatever - be creative!

Some have mentioned that they got water on the electrical components & had to wait for it to dry out...this has never happened to me. I would think as long as your not throwing things around and spraying water all over your kitchen you shouldn't have a problem with this...calm down, open your eyes, and operate the machine properly. I guess in today's day and age we expect everyone else to take care of everything for us while we run around like morons.

This machine is very easy to use, produces great results, is fairly priced, and helps to save the environment. I highly recommend it.
44 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2006
This soymilk maker is beautiful and easy to use. I hate trying to figure out and wash complicated kitchen appliances, but this one takes no time to set up and use. I use it every day to make soy milk and almond milk (my favorites). I drink a cup of fresh h ot soymilk in the morning, and put the rest in the fridge for later.
on November 28, 2007
I ordered this thinking, "ok, well I'm saving moeny, but I'm gonna have to hassel with making soy milk everyday for my two kids." Turns out, it's pretty easy to use and clean. (Still could be easier, but overall takes less than 2 min.)

I add a bit of sugar and vanilla, and the kids didn't say anything this morning when I served it up nice and cold from sitting in the fridge overnight.

I also add flax seed right it.

No where does it say how many beans you'll need, but you can figure it's less than 1/4 cup soy beans for each 1.3L of milk you get back.

So after my trip to the health foods store, and dividing down the cost, I figure it costs me about .40 per Half Gallon to make my own soy milk. (Using all organic products... soybeans, sea salt, flax, sugar cane, and vanilla)
on November 10, 2007
Bought this in April to cut down on the cost of buying soymilk in the stores and i want to know what is actually in the stuff i eat. Have only made soymilk with it. It is fairly easy to use and clean. I use it on average of twice a week and was using it everyday in the summer. It is so wonderful to have fresh soymilk in the fridge. The best and easiest way to clean it is right after the machine has finished doing its thing. I poor the soymilk into a different container for the fridge and then rinse it off while the residue and bean chippings are soft and warm. It will take a bit of time to clean off the strainer if you let the residue dry out. I've only had one boil over, think i didn't push the top on firm enough. It can be startling when it cycles to grind the beans, but it doesn't last that long. Maybe 10 to 15 seconds...
on November 18, 2007
I highly recommend Soyabella. With multiple, severe food allergies, soyabella makes delicious, relatively quick "milks", w/o carcinogens like carageenan, fake vanilla from China, etc. Rapidly pays for itself. Since I cannot have soy, I make alternatives. Millet is too thin. Brown rice is nice. Heard rinsing rice in H2O for several minutes removes a lot of starch - haven't tried that yet. Barley is okay. My favorites are either toasted or raw buckwheat, with either maple syrup or 3 t organic sugar. Because of one negative review I read, I emailed Soyabella with questions. They answered promptly and informatively. I was impressed. If your milk comes out too thick, either add more water and shake, or use less grain next time. Soyabella looks elegant and sleek, doesn't have a plastic interior, and is pretty easy to clean up. I give the left over grain mush to the chickens.
66 comments|33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2007
We love this device! makes the best nut/bean/seed milk ever! I hate buying so much packaged milks for the kids at the store w/ all the additives & waste = but even more i have cleaning household gadgets!!

rest assured!! the clean up is so few pieces ! very easy!! and the resulting milk is so fresh and delicious..!!!! this comed highly recommended!!! from a yogini/mom !!! even does lentil soups!!
on October 7, 2011
Broke on very first use. My husband & I were so excited to use our new Soybella. After placing the lid on, however, the unit didn't operate. We removed the lid and something flew across the kitchen. Turns out it was one of the lid screws on the underside of the lid that has a "magnet" on it so if the unit doesn't recognize both magnets, it won't operate (safety funtion). We never even got to make our fist batch. When I printed up my return labels Duddy's Electronics didn't offer a replacement. Instead I got to pay $8.50 to mail back a broken machine. So...all in all....I spent $17 to have NOTHING. Very disappointed in the machine as well as the company return policy.
on March 8, 2007
I am very pleased with the Soyabella Milk Maker. We make both Soy and Rice milk every other week. Clean up isn't a big deal if you do it right after you make the milk. With the addition of some vanilla and sweetner you can make a delicious rice or soy milk. We have experimented with Almond milk and a blend of beans and cashews. I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything spectacular. This product is well worth the 100 bucks.